- Top 2 coaches get the job
- No foul outs!
- Open air game!

Will Weaver Twitter
@coachwcw
·
Dec 15
Replying to @camluke and @NBL

Can be scheduled to start when last NBA game ends on Boxing Day - hoops marathon!

Topic #46564 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Nobody even cares about the NBA all star game anymore and that's the one thing the NBA is better at than the NBL is.

Reply #781183 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Absolutely right about the current talent, especially the imports. Guess we get so used to our locals that we can easily under-rate them. The overall talent is awesome.

Will Weaver's timing clashes with Boxing Day Test (oh! Those yanks!). Be like NBA All Stars weekend up against Superbowl or World Champs (baseball). Other wise ... YES!

Whenthen? Around Easter would be after NBL and before NBL1. With the advent of NBL1 expansion into Qld, NBL1 could offer All Star teams from Vic/Tas (south) & Qld (north) as a curtain raiser. And remember, lots of NBL players are recruited by our NBL1 teams and several may appear in this All Star game as well. Sharing the same platform as big brother, would be a fabulous promotion for NBL1 and establish it as the 2nd tier nationally.

It could even add value/credibility to the NBL itself as it would be seen as not just an 8, 9 or 10 team comp but also one that fosters and supports the sport nationally at various levels.

Where to hold it? Melb will have had AFL GF, Tennis and Formula 1, Syd the NRL GF, 2 of Perth, Melb, Adel or Sydney will have had the NBL GF series.

How about in Bris? Qld will have entered the NBL1. and the Bullets have had a shit year in the NBL and could benefit from a tonic of strong measure. I believe that in its 1st year, there will be no play-off between north and south NBL1s so this could be a teaser for the future.

Reply #781185 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"It's a no from me, dawg"

All Star games always seem like a great idea, until you're actually watching one. Uncontested dunks/lay ups and AND1 mixtape levels of intensity doesn't make for sustained viewing of a game for 2 hours. You can make a clip show with it all that is all very fun but without the competitive edge and without any meaningful purpose to the games in the scheme of things, the games end up a bit of a monotonous bore.

And as Kobe says, most people can't even be bothered with the NBA All Star games.

When you think of the best games you've ever seen, I doubt any were an All Star game.

Reply #781187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easter is a terrible idea. Good luck getting imports and next stars to stick around for a month or two after the season has finished for a game at easter. It would need to be during the NBL season too to capitalise on any momentum the league is gaining. Lots of people will mentally switch off and not care about the NBL until it kicks off again in October.

Reply #781188 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

All star games were cool in the 90s. Now just a bore fest

Reply #781193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings vs all nbl all stars would be a competitive game. Still tipping the kings though.

Reply #781196 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Nobody even cares about the NBA all star game anymore and that's the one thing the NBA is better at than the NBL is. "

The one thing?

Reply #781199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Nobody even cares about the NBA all star game anymore and that's the one thing the NBA is better at than the NBL is.)

Last years nba all star game drew an average of 7.7 million viewers.

Looks like nobody cares at all lol

Reply #781202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Will Weaver's timing clashes with Boxing Day Test (oh! Those yanks!). Be like NBA All Stars weekend up against Superbowl or World Champs (baseball). Other wise ... YES! )

An NBL all star game will take 2 hours not a 5 days bore fest. The Boxing Day test is nothing like the super bowl, do people even watch cricket any more?

Reply #781205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxing Day test > all star game

Reply #781207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(When you think of the best games you've ever seen, I doubt any were an All Star game.)

1993 was an awesome game

Reply #781208 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

No.

Reply #781210 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Post Blitz all star game, each team puts forward 2 of their best players from the Blitz (9 teams so 18 players), coaches vote for 2 wild card players. Nice way to get ready for the season proper and close out the Blitz.

Reply #781245 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ yes agree the allstar game belongs at the Blitz, if it belongs anywhere at all these days.

7.7mill people may tune into the NBA allstar game but that doesnt stop it from being a borefest.

Reply #781251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The right timing would probably about 'now', so it can pick up a bit of an end of year celebration vibe (and the weekend just gone is probably a good one for being post-most Christmas Parties, but still pre-Christmas and otherwise a fairly quiet one) - but it is probably a bit too early in the season?

Reply #781254 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

If the game isn't going to be competitive don't play it. The NBA All Start Game makes a mockery of the game and I would hate to see the NBL go down that path.

You would have to play something like potential Boomers vs Imports with the last 2 places on the Olympic Squad up for grabs to make it worthwhile and that is not going to happen.

I think The standard and the competitiveness we see every week is sensational now. With only 9 teams you get to see the top players often. If you were going to schedule extra games add more to the playoff series but hold the turnarounds to 2 or 3 days to keep momentum.

Reply #781260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(7.7mill people may tune into the NBA allstar game but that doesnt stop it from being a borefest.)

I was replying to this below....7.7 million people care. And yeah maybe it is a bore fest but I'd rather watch an all star game than 5 days of......yawn....cricket, getting tired just thinking about it.

(Nobody even cares about the NBA all star game anymore and that's the one thing the NBA is better at than the NBL is.)

Reply #781264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(If the game isn't going to be competitive don't play it. )

Why wouldn't it be competitive? The best local NBL players v the best import NBL players, there would be a lot of AussiePride on the line not to mention USA USA USA pride.

Reply #781266 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Our imports would love going up against each other and playing alongside each other, that enough would make the game reasonably entertaining for a few years at least. Machado alley oop to Cotton, Tate blocking the crap out of Ware...seems pretty fun to me.

Reply #781268 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Aussies vs. Imports wouldn't be pretty. I think our imports would have an insurmountable advantage with athleticism, and the Aussies have basically nothing at point guard that would compete realistically. Do you really want to start Nathan Sobey at point? No thanks.

I can't see any justification for an All Star game unless there is something on the line these teams actually want to play for.

Reply #781279 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I can't see any justification for an All Star game unless there is something on the line these teams actually want to play for."

2 coaches Homicide and Heal pick the teams, 10 aussies and 10 imports with each coach alternating picks. Losing teams coach gets deported. High stakes.

Reply #781301 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Senator

What makes you think the players would come to play. They might tank the whole game, with only Cade and co actually putting in any effort.

brickfest 2019.

Reply #781306 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"What makes you think the players would come to play."

Hence why I said to do it after the Blitz and let each team select 2 players, everyone is there already, and at that point I think the better players and imports would relish playing this time of game, but yeah I don't think it would work at any other time of the season.

Reply #781314 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Nobody even cares about the NBA all star game anymore and that's the one thing the NBA is better at than the NBL is. "

The one thing?
Yes. The big names, the showmanship, the highlights-based gameplay, the entertainment-first-sport-second thing. Spectacle is what the NBA does.

Reply #781320 | Report this post

No thankyou.

Reply #782474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754