Years ago

Webster to play in China this season

NBL
@NBL
·
20m
The
@NZBreakers
have granted Corey Webster a release to play the remainder of the season in China in an agreement that will also see the star guard sign a two-year contract extension, returning to the Breakers for #NBL21 and beyond.

Topic #46566 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know the culture is bad when even Webster wants out.

Reply #781212 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Breakers have become a joke of an organisation. All about the buyout money.

Reply #781214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster wants to get paid and Breakers ain't making a playoffs run this year. Can understand why he would want this opportunity but it's odd from the club's standpoint. Sure, they lock him up for another two years but what are fans going to get out of the last home games this year?

Reply #781215 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I don't recall seeing an agreement like this before - more weird stuff from the Breakers.

Reply #781216 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great decision by the management team.
Corey can make some serious money, the club benefits from the buyout and Corey is happy and signs on long term.
I put a fork in the season a few losses ago so it's not like we’re missing out on a chance at a championship with him gone for the rest of the season.
Shamir can look to who else he wants to keep from the current squad and build chemistry between them for the rest of 19/20 season and get some continuity heading into 20/21.

Reply #781218 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It's probably not so much that Webster doesn’t like the situation at NZ, he wants to set himself up for life after basketball and China money is much better than NBL money unless you play for the Kings or United.

Reply #781219 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If RJ is drafted, he is signed for next season so NZ also get a buyout.
Walsh isnt as silly as he looks.

Reply #781220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not his looks that are a concern, it's his actions.

Isn't the Next Stars contract and buyout negotiated through the league?

Reply #781221 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bought out for $150k, maybe needed some cash to help Rice Jr with his legal battle

Reply #781222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the NBL gets the buyout money from next stars?

Reply #781223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh is thinking long term. Corey is very important to the club. This makes sense.

Reply #781225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers get the buyout money for RJ.

Reply #781226 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Trying to rationalise a key player (for the future of your franchise) ditching the team (& the opportunity to build that chemistry with other players looking to be kept) while still taking a dig at other teams able to retain their key players (both expensive and inexpensive) is a bit rough...

I never begrudge any professional athlete getting paid... Their window is shorter than most, but this is MERCENARY... What about all the fans? You're willing to ditch the team when you could be a key player in actually getting them wins and regaining some professional respect, if only on the court, not off?

I wonder how many of those Breakers fans turning up this season and watching the team tank for their remaining games will want to return next season?

Reply #781227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ aren't making finals, let him go get good money and come next season in a good frame of mind and plenty money in the bank. Basketball is a business to players and management.

Reply #781228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Props to whoever Corey Webster's agent is.

Reply #781229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like this move for all parties. Clever by the breakers to accept this deal with the playoffs gone for this year.

Reply #781231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In isolation, this move makes sense but as a whole it only comes about because a series of missteps along the way this season. I wouldn't be too quick to praise Walsh here.

Reply #781233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie I'm glad you came to the realisation that the players are Mercenaries! I don't know about the rest of what you said. It's cool that as fans we feel all warm and fuzzy with player loyalties, but the reality is as fans and teams we won't be paying these players once they can't put a ball in a hoop anymore. They don't feel so warm and fuzzy at the other end when they get thrown on a scrap heap. So pardon them if they're ok with you not feeling so warm and fuzzy wanting every player to "ride or die" with the team.

Reply #781234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its good for Corey but definitely a bit of slap for the local paying member. Your basically saying we have given up for the season and perhaps taking their members and paying customers a little bit for granted.

Reply #781235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is professional sport. Corey isn't "ditching the team". It’s a short term contract and he’s committed to the club for the next 2 years.

Reply #781237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't want play for the breakers before the start of the season, trying to opt out of his contract to play in Europe, now its China. Looks like he wants to be anywhere but nz, will he ever play for the breakers again?
He’s had a lot of nba scouts watch him play this year, has he blown an nba opportunity?
It’s not a good look for the NBL, what if more NBL players who’s team won’t make playoffs start jumping ship?

Reply #781238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He just signed a 2 year contract, so yes he will play for the Breakers again.

Reply #781239 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If you have a look at the NZ Breakers fan pages on Facebook there is nothing but positive comments about this move from die hard Breakers fans.

Reply #781240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"nothing but positive comments....die hard Breakers fans."

Wow, what a surprise!

Reply #781244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree the breakers team couldn't make finals in second half of year. They are only 4 games off top 4.
A full squad with cccorey and without Hampton for a feeew more weeks, think they could do it still.
Given up too early imo.

Reply #781246 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Walsh handled this a lot better than the Sixers did with Mitch Creek.
At least Corey is coming back, and not playing for an opposition team.

Reply #781247 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Seems like a smart move from NZ's end, but it could set a precedent of other players on teams who are not going to make finals leave as well with a similar agreement.

Reply #781248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats it got to do with Creek? Adelaide have never had a season like the Breakers have.

The fact is, because the Breakers season has been one issue after the other they are in a situation where their best player wants out at the halfway mark.

Reply #781249 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think you'll find that Breakers fans are supportive of the decision because they support Webster and see it as win for him. Not so much because they think its in the Breakers best interests. There's an acute difference.

You have to remember that Corey was probably first involved with the Breakers in 2006-odd. He's a forefather of North Shore basketball and has a lot of support;

I'm happy with the decision because it takes care of Corey;

But if I had no care for Corey; then its a bad decision by the Breakers in terms of their own interests.

Reply #781265 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Anon - it's not about warm and fuzzies, it's about honouring your contract... He tried to get out of it before the season, and now actually managed it to China... If you want the big money, go for it, back yourself, but don't sign somewhere in the meantime, get fans on board and then fuck off... that's a dick move at any level... It's not like he's bettering his playing career by going to the NBA, he's going to jack up 50ppg in China and sit back and not have to work for it...

"and he's committed to the club for the next 2 years"
- He was committed to the Breakers this season as well...

Reply #781274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has honoured his contract!!! He's not breaking it! He's leaving with the permission and blessing of his organisation! That is a fact. And the Breakers get their star guard back with the club for 2 more seasons! This is the best result for the Breakers because I think you'd argue after this season Corey would be very much considering options elsewhere. This is a chance for the club to show that they care about him.

I'm glad you're not running a club with your "honour your contract to death" mentaility because that is not how sports has worked for a number of years now. Whether that's in line with your values and opinions or not that's how it is.

Do you think all of the contracts get signed when free agency starts too? I'll let you in on a secret and they are done and signed weeks and sometimes months ahead of that date. Is that honouring the rules? No, but it's how these deals get done. You can fight your moral fight about going down with the ship, or be clever and leverage this situation into a new multi year deal with your best local player.

Reply #781281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Side note - I don't think the players care if you think they made a "dick move", cause I don't think you'll cover their bills once their career is over. They must (and do) out themselves first. We are not talking about the different between a 15 and 20 million dollar contract. These guys will plug into 9-5 jobs the second this ride finishes.

Reply #781282 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Lets not forget Corey left NZ and signed with Perth under the previous Management/Ownership Team and Walsh & Co bought out his contract and got him back to the Breakers.
After the WC's he got a decent offer from Turkey and wanted to bolt for the cash as he no doubt reads hoops.com.au and has seen that Jason Cadee's on $400k and Sydney's rosters worth 4mill....

Walsh seems happy to sacrifice some short term success for a long term gain.

NZ still have exciting players in Henry, Hopson & Delaney and despite losing have been getting decent crowds.

In the words of the Warriors (NZ not GSW), "next season boys, next season" lol

Reply #781284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WookieE

It's business, smart move by all concerned, he gets a good pay check and nz get player back in good state mind. Win, win and even if nz miraculously fell into finals which is a long shot they ain’t winning it.

Reply #781285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"it's about honouring your contract"

Did Sydney honour Kuany's contract?

I have no problem with Webster making the right move for him. Its just shit that the right move is leaving a basketcase club all of a sudden mid-season.

Reply #781286 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sydney did honour Kuany's contract by paying it out in full. I'm a bit torn about the Webster situation. It's not exactly the same as that Brisbane import a few years ago who asked to be released from his contract because the Bullets were out of contention (because Webster is signed for next year), but this feels to me like NZ are either trying to appease Webster into coming back next season, or are engineering a way out for both sides re: his current deal that doesn't make either side look bad.

Reply #781287 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

...and if I were his teammate, I wouldn't be happy about this at all to be honest.

Reply #781289 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's basically a "Sabbatical clause" which NZ sports have precedent with e.g. the NZ Rugby Union have put into a lot of senior All Blacks contracts a sabbatical clause allowing them to elect to play a season abroad in lieu of Super Rugby (most go to Japan); basically lets them earn a nice little retainer and gives them enough of a temporary out to prevent them leaving permanently. Then they come back and return to Super Rugby/the All Blacks after the stint.

The All Blacks' use of it makes a lot more sense though, because they are basically sacrificing the player's availability to their Super Rugby team to preserve their availability for the national team.

But in this case, the NZ Breakers (and not a lower team) are the ones sacrificing Webster's availability.

Anyway this post didn't real achieve much - just thought I'd highlight it been done in NZ Rugby circles.

Reply #781290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a lot to criticise about the Breakers this season, but this isn't one of those times. This looks to be a good outcome for all parties

Reply #781291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hamptons advisors are currently "WTF???"

Reply #781292 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Thats a good post Macdub, similar situation.

Reply #781293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mystro, we know you like to toe the company line but you're kidding yourself if you think these problems aren't going to be there next season.

Reply #781294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What problems are you talking about Anon? The Breakers are where they are because basically their entire starting team has been injured this season. Let's not act like any team wouldn’t struggle under those circumstances.

Reply #781295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats had major injuries last season and in 2016/17 and managed to win the title both times. Injuries happen but great teams still find ways to win

Reply #781296 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I know its not part of their thoughts and finals teams should expect to beat NZ but could making NZ weaker influence 4th place?

NZ still play:
S E Melbourne 3 times
Brisbane 3
36ers 2
Cairns 1
Melbourne 1

Reply #781297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What problems are you talking about Anon?"

Are you for real?

Reply #781299 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Wow, some people believe whatever is fed to them by the organisation. The Breakers said it's a good move for the club, so I guess it must be!

Walsh has been awful this year but you'd expect him to reflect and be much better next year. He's treated the entire thing as an experiment. When you move in a different direction to every other club in just about every area, you're going to fail. He needs to come back to the pack a bit next year.

As an anon. said above this only comes about because of all of his other missteps. If the team was competing for the four Webster wouldn't be leaving, well, at least you'd hope they wouldn't let him leave.

And so what if he's got a contract? He's got a contract now and he's leaving. There's no guarantee he'll be back. And even if he is, no knowing he'll be happy like people assume he will be. In my experience, people who make more money don't want to just stop doing that to return to their previous job.

I'm shocked the fans keep buying this stuff. If I was a member I'd want a refund based on the season so far.

Reply #781302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. I still believe Breakers would be top 4 had it not been for for all the injuries. If Hopson doesn't go down, Glen Rice Jr never happens.

Reply #781303 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I have no problem with this and see it as a win win for both sides

Just as the Kings honoured Kuany kuany contract by paying it out, Webster has honoured his contract by buying it out (via the Chinese team)

Its a win for Webster who gets to cash in after trying to earlier in the season

Its a win for the Breakers as they get a buy out payment, also got him to commit long term, where as if you refuse again he likely walks at the end of the season.

Given the season is dead in terms of playoffs or championship its not at a real risk or loss to the Breakers season any way

They had Sek Henry who plays the same position as Webster anyway, so he just now gets a bigger role

They still have 3 good imports and some decent locals like Abercrombie, Delaney, etc to put on a decent product for the fans, and most fans will support Corey on this and see the longer term benefit of more Corey in the future. Many would realise if Walsh had blocked this again, he probably moves on after this season and would not be a happy member of the team going forward.

They also get to have a real look at some of the other guys like Rasbautch to decide whether they wish to keep him next season.

Reply #781304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100%
Captain Jack. To many negative Nancy's around here.

Reply #781308 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think this is a good move.

Webster gets to make good money.

Breakers get to tank for the rest of the season and hopefully get #1 in the NBL draft lottery.

Reply #781310 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Webster's child isn’t 7 yet so he can legally move between cities and counties .

Reply #781311 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I don't have an opinion on the merits or otherwise of this move. But it should kill of any ideas of some form of draft, with low finishing teams getting higher draft picks.

Reply #781313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The draft idea was red herring from the Kings owner to explain away why it was ok to buy another Boomer for his squad.

Reply #781317 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sorry nah, bailing on your team just after half way, because you figure they won't make the finals, just stinks.

Everyone has been all up in arms over claims that Ball or Hampton might do it. But Webster does it and suddenly its all cool??

Claiming he's signed for another 2 years, at the same time as allowing him to bail mid season, really doesn't make a lot of sense.
What exactly have they signed him to?
Two more years where he hangs around just long enough to get a better offer?

Guys who want to become mercenary journeymen, hopping from club to club as cash dictates, need to bite the bullet, hire an agent, and leave. That's not the kind of thing we value.

Maybe Kiwis are different and think this is ok??

Reply #781318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's too early to tell if this is good or bad. Let’s see if Webster actually comes back next year. Let’s see how the Breakers play without him (they played really well in the second half against Adelaide and if Hampton comes back they have a more than decent backcourt).

Reply #781319 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Also a winner here? Sek Henry. I think Webster/Henry shared a similar role where one of them on court was great, but both wasn't ideal.

Seems like a transition year before 2020-21. Very happy for Ethan Rusbatch, this guy has NBL 3-and-D role-player written all over him and surely he's a keeper going forward. There's a nice Kiwi core here - Loe, Abercrombie, Delany, Webster, Rusbatch.

Reply #781331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

R they going to use the money to re sign Hopson

Reply #781363 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Plot twist: Walsh was drunk when agreeing to Webster's release.

Reply #781367 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Very happy for Ethan Rusbatch, this guy has NBL 3-and-D role-player written all over him"

Hopefully he can add to the D bit because he is a natural offensively.

Reply #781371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754