Jack Toft
Years ago

Cats v United Dec 21

Match of the day follows on once they have mopped the blood off the floor in Brisbane.

No matter how good Sydney have been this year, there has always been one team yapping at their heals. While United have been yapping, the Cats have been quietly in the shadows like a ninja ready to pounce. Biding their time for the final round.

United are a star studded as a Hollywood super hero film, but Bryce Cotton has got the glove of Thanos. Let's not forget Damian "Ajax" Martin - I'm looking for Francis. While United fly their super hero jet across the Nullarbor hoping to save the world, they must do so in front of 15,000 crazy fans looking for a Christmas gift.

Perth at home either win by 15 points, or flunk out by 15 points. School's out for summer, school's out forever. No flunk today, Principal Bevo to issue A+ grades, Perth by 15.

Topic #46590 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats getting too comfortable again IMO. There were a lot of cracks visible in that unimpressive win over the bullets. I think United get this one.

Reply #781800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cracks being they played in Cairns two nights earlier?

Reply #781802 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

And the Bullets game was their 4th in 7 days?

Reply #781809 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I assume the new Kidd hasn't arrived yet?

Going to be a great game, but Perth, at home, should be better.

A lot will come down to Flopking. If he starts hitting his 3's. he can turn a game on its head.

Reply #781811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth bring their A game and I think they will, it will be awful for United. Cats by 18.

This could be an Olympic competition for diving though, Flopstaff and Cotton kick out v Goulding flops.

Reply #781815 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A lot will come down to Flopking. If he starts hitting his 3's. he can turn a game on its head.

He certainly can. He has a long history of turning games around with a burst of perimeter daggers.
But I think you'll find he is much much more widely known as Flopstaff than Flopking. Being less ambiguous is partly what makes it the better nickname.

Reply #781817 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United will finally beat their bogey team tonight

Reply #781818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats should win, obviously would be great if United could defy the odds though.

Reply #781819 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United actually led for most of the game in both early season meetings

Both times the Cats won it with seconds remaining

That's actually 3 times in a row where the Cats got it at the death, if you count the pre season matchup in Geelong In September

But United was missing Barlow, Goulding and Prather in the Perth game, and in the return bout on a Sunday in Melbourne, United had just hopped off the plane after playing in Sacramento on the Thursday

Perth just gets the clutch wins over United, it's happened so many times over the past 3 years. But the curse might be broken tonight.

Shaun Long has potential to be the difference maker; to do it, he's gotta show some mental toughness and fight It out vs this resilient Cats group.

Can't wait.

Reply #781821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Perth win keeps a good distance between them and the pack.
Fans of Adelaide, Cairns and SEM would be happy to see Perth win.

The big 3 is more like the big 2 and United face the possibility of missing the playoffs.

Reply #781826 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United has 12 games left, they need to win 6 to guarantee playoffs and they'd probably make it with 5

9 of those 12 games are against teams other than Perth and Sydney

United has a 8-3 record against other teams. Kidd joining for next game

Chances of missing the playoffs are roughly equivalent to the chances of one of us forum posters playing in an NBL game this season

Reply #781828 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Chances of missing the playoffs are roughly equivalent to the chances of one of us forum posters playing in an NBL game this season]

That is if they stay relatively healthy. If Goulding and McCarron went down with season ending injuries they'd probably miss the playoffs.

Reply #781829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron been below par this season.

Reply #781831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the way Perth embarrassed the United in the GF series has played with their physique against Perth. They don't believe they can win anymore

Reply #781832 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I think the way Perth embarrassed the United in the GF series has played with their physique against Perth.]

I'll have to check the numbers to confirm but I believe in 16-17 Perth beat United 4 out of 4 and all were under 5 points

There was also the game Caspar missed the layup last year

Perth has been United's bogey team, not consistently but regularly, for a number of years

Reply #781836 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just checked the history, actually Perth won by 3 points or less all 4 games in 16-17

Since the start of the 16-17 season United has a 5-13 record against Perth

But in games decided by 5 points or less, it's 1-9.

And almost all of those games were decided by 3 points or less. One was 5 points in OT also

Reply #781839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth win I look forward to LV'S essay/ list of excuses.

Reply #781840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Melbourne team is not as good as there premiership team and the nbl as a whole has got better.

Reply #781845 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Since the game's in Perth, it's almost guaranteed the Cats will get plenty of calls.

Don't have to be nostradamus to see that one coming.

United will have to be a 10 or 15 point better team tonight to get the win

Reply #781847 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

LV vs the city of Perth.

No matter how outnumbered he'll take the lot of them on with a religious zealotry.

Reply #781850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Perth are nowhere near the team they were last year. Their bench is weaker and they lost Brandt who was a significant upgrade over Hunt. Major and Jervis are a wash but losing Hire has hurt them on defence. United on paper should be a better team then last season but they just are not

Reply #781852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On paper they are better. It hasn't translated into better play just yet but it is only a matter of time before it starts to click. Hopefully it starts tonight.

Reply #781862 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth should take this based on form, but United can beat anyone if their big guns are firing. Should be a fun game.

Reply #781866 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Melbourne by 9pts. Paying $8.30, $50 on that for Christmas.

Reply #781919 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Underdogs are 3/3 so far this round, United's time to shine?

Reply #781921 | Report this post

Dan & Mody  
Years ago

Still early in the game but Derwane has bought out the "shake and bake" wait for the "where ever you are watching around the planet" it should be before half time....

Reply #781929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is done.

Reply #781931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth playing horribly. However lv must be happy with the cooking, utd getting to the line for nothing regularly.

Reply #781932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth playing horribly. However lv must be happy with the cooking, utd getting to the line for nothing regularly.

Reply #781933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #781934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking keeping Perth in it.

Reply #781935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats being exposed for what they really are. A unorganised team at both ends.

Reply #781939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are not unorganised it's just that the NBL has caught up to them and moved past them.

Reply #781940 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Perth coach carrying on like a pork chop

any other coach would be T'd up

Reply #781941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You must be new to Perth home cooking

Reply #781942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

However you want to see it, the league has caught up and is making the cats appear unorganised lol

Reply #781943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one epitomises it like Martin. It is almost sad watching him now.

Reply #781944 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Need a block and rebound king. You'll find they will replace Hunt next week.

Reply #781945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 months too late.

Reply #781946 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Cold as it gets, nothing to give this game.

Reply #781947 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wow @ that tech foul. Terrible.

Reply #781948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Wilburs will be having a Merry Xma$$$
Great tip

Reply #781949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cats getting too comfortable again IMO. There were a lot of cracks visible in that unimpressive win over the bullets. I think United get this one."

Like I said.

How good is this!

Reply #781950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is nothing worse for a team than being fresh. Sure Lachy. Lol pathetic excuse.

Reply #781951 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Score flattered us. Totally outplayed and out coached

Reply #781952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, what a weekend, can any favourites win. Well done United always nice to win especially in Perth in spite of home cooking.

Reply #781953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13 is so flattering for Perth. That was a demolition job by United. They partied in the jungle tonight.

Reply #781954 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Brisbane, Adelaide, South East Melbourne all lost, Wildcats knew this and took it easy.

Martin admitted it.

Reply #781955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty good turn out at the game considering scorchers v renegades is being played at optus at the same time

Reply #781956 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

Is there a betting special on all the underdogs I missed?

After Sydney dropped one this is one Perth needed to edge closer to top spot.

Reply #781957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know what was funnier, Perth's performance or the Froling commercial afterwards.

Reply #781958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About time they T'd Shawn Long up for running into Kay's arm bar. SUch a dirty player.

Reply #781959 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Anyone know what happened with Martin?
I assume he must have been injured?

Reply #781960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has there ever been a stupider flop call then that one? I don't remember one.

Reply #781961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Game was in Perth. They were down. Nuff said.

Reply #781962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't get too excited, United fans. Even Aelaie beat us at home this year. We will be fine. Make top 4, content for the chip. We do it every year. We will be fine.

Reply #781963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looney Tunes jerseys, Mickey Mouse officiating!

Reply #781964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except they were not wearing the looney jerseys

Reply #781965 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't know what was funnier, Perth's performance or the Froling commercial afterwards.

Froling's only appearance in the gym this season was in that ad.

Reply #781966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth were wearing their Looney Tunes jerseys.

Reply #781967 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Was that why they had the weird yellow trim on their necklines? Looked horrible.

Reply #781968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are only going to get stronger with more help on the way. If they can be consistent, and that is a HUGE if... then it certainly is a three horse race. Playoff series 2 vs 3 is going to be a gem.

Reply #781969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Froling's only appearance in the gym this season was in that ad."

Funniest part is that was shot over a four day period!

Reply #781970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tawt I taw a scaredy cat

Reply #781971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky Cotton is going to be naturalized shortly because his status as top tier PG import is in jeopardy. So many more candidates this year than just he and Ware (best of the best). He is regressing with the odd outburst. Used to be so consistent.

Reply #781972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I tawt I taw a scaredy cat "

Creative! I'll pay that. :)

Reply #781973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a Perth fan, but part of me would have been happy to see the Wildcats on the top of the table at the end of this round, just to see how many jump off the Sydney bandwagon. Shame.

Reply #781974 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You need to have really good eyesight to see him. Pointless design.

Reply #781975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is still great but the league is too strong for him to be effective with no help. Too many of his teammates are chumps and the rest were MIA this game.

Reply #781976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth v Melbourne GF could be on the cards, Sydney have played very well but contrary to most on here there list isn't that good. Both Perth and Melbourne got lot improvements.

Reply #781978 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

You'd think it shouldn't happen, but it does.

Last week against Brisbane was shit. There was no focus, no intensity, and in a game we should have had put away, the Cats coasted to an ugly victory.

It should not carry over to a week later, but whatever the reason the same malaise was present. Cats defence was almost non-existent, Trimble and Co owned the floor ans could do as they please, whilst at the other end the Cats were completely unfocussed, randomly tossing up bricks.

The Steindl bubble burst, as it does periodically, and nobody stepped up to fill the gap.

Credit to Melbourne, they were on song from the tip-off. Perth weren't.

Martin must have been injured. Looked out of sorts in the first half and was benched for most of the 2nd.

Still not really sure what Trev is doing with the whole Jook/ Hunt/ Vague rotation??
Hunt was ok, but looked lost at times.

Reply #781979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cotton becomes "aussie" are the Americats allowed to add another import this season?

Reply #781980 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hope so.

Reply #781981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wont become Aussie this season, but when he does, yes they can get another import. But what's next, he declares he is transgender and plays WNBL in the off season? Americans are American. Australians are Australian. I'm looking at you Sydney.

Reply #781982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, can you enlighten a little more on when Brycey boy is going to transition? Thanks

Reply #781983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he wants to play in Tokyo he better get a wriggle on.

Reply #781985 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hopefully Cotton naturalises, plays for the 'Cats until the end of his prime and transitions after that.

Reply #781986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean transition to Australian. Honest question. Do you know anything about the timing of it? When will he actually be naturalized, and how long before Perth can replace that import spot with another player? He signed a four year contract, right? How is that affected by the naturalization process? Curious.

Reply #781987 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's called a statement game.

Perth's been destroyed 3 times on their home court this year. Their rivals are still getting settled with Lisch and Prather having barely played, Cooks finding his feet, Pledger a while away.

Perth need an upgrade on Hunt, otherwise a healthy Sydney or United will easily account for them in the playoffs.

Reply #781988 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

As we saw in Melbourne earlier this year, the Boomers are better than a bunch of NBA stars. With Boomer level now being better than NBA level, it is only fair that Bryce Cotton be eligible to be paid by the league to play NBL under the NextBoomers program, and not count as an import.

P.S. That was crap, Wildcats.

Reply #781989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, I would call BS, but then my mind shifts to Didi already being drafted. Now I think it may be possible.

Reply #781990 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#781987 I believe Redhage was naturalised ASAP and it took him four years, with no basketball played in any country during that span as I believe that would reset or increase the time it takes to wait for citizenship eligibility.

Whereas it took Lisch seven years with stints overseas.

Reply #781992 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So for Cotton that would mean 2021 but he did play in Italy after one NBL season so that hampers things.

Reply #781993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting. Thank you Perthworld.

Reply #781994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems like the more you flop the faster you get it so Cotton should be done in less than 4 years

Reply #781995 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

To be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship, you must have: Been an Australian permanent resident for at least 1 year and lived in Australia for at least 9 out of 12 months before you apply. Been lawfully resident in Australia for at least 4 years before you apply.

So January 2020 for Cotton if that Italy stint plus going home to the US each season didn't tip him over the 9/12 rule.

Reply #781996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was next month surely we would be hearing more about this right now.. right?

Reply #781997 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Actually come to think of it you don't get PR unless you apply for it so who knows when Cotton received it or if/when the club told him to get it for the future? Probably when he signed his first long-term contract? Not that simple without this information.

Reply #781998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100%. Still, your insight has been very much appreciated, so thank you.

Reply #781999 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So it's one year before receiving PR and four years after that for citizenship. Cotton's first long-term NBL contract was signed before the 2018-19 season so assuming he applied for it after knowing he was staying here for the foreseeable future that would make it mid-2023 if 1+4?. Mid-2022 if 4. May be too old by then.

Reply #782000 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Scrap that 4+1 it's four but too many variables that we the people don't know like what date it would start from.

Reply #782001 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Maybe the Wildcats need to tell Peter Dutton that Cotton is an au pair to help expediate the process? Brainstorming here.

Reply #782002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your 0 and 4 this week Jack Toft, your as good as Corey Williams

Reply #782003 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cotton re-signed with Perth to a 3 year contract in 2018.

Reply #782005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This ain't no cupcake forum! Jack is way above homicide in all things basketball

Reply #782006 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

There are many different factors that affect Residency Status and Naturalisation.

By Far the Easiest route is to have an Australian Spouse and Child.
That's why Lisch was quick when he returned.

That also applies to Cotton.
He & Rachel had a baby a few weeks back.

Reply #782007 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes, Cotton has had a couple of "off" games. Not sure what to put that down to.
Better defence/ more coaches working him out?

Its not the end of the world, just need others to step up, which unfortunately hasn't happened on a couple of occasions.

Personally, I wish teams would just go back to writing off their Perth games. Getting spanked in the Jungle is getting a bit old.

Reply #782008 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Your 0 and 4 this week Jack Toft, your as good as Corey Williams

i'm having a Barry Crocker!

Reply #782009 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I think the info above is out of date. From the Home Affairs Department website, the criteria that apply to Cotton are:
"- be a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen when you apply and when we decide your application
- be in Australia when we decide on your application in most cases
- have spent time in Australia and know about our country
- intend to live in Australia or maintain a lasting link with Australia while overseas"

So he should meet these criteria, based on his long term contract.

Cotton applied for citizenship in August 2019 (as reported in WA media). Department of Home Affairs provides stats that say 75% of applications are decided and citizenship ceremonies conducted within 22 months of the application. Unfortunately, they don't give stats on average or minimum times. They do give numbers of applications received per month and how many they currently have in their in-tray.

Given that info, I expect Cotton has a good chance of becoming an Australian citizen before the start of next NBL season. That would be 14 months after his application. By Olympics is probably not going to happen.

Reply #782010 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Perthworld corrected himself above. Its one year after getting Permanent Residency.
Permanent Residency can be tricky, bot not for Cotton since he has an Australian Spouse.
Now according to the media report, he applied for Citizenship in or before August. So it that is correct he already had PR for at least 12 months.

The rest is a matter of process, time, and formality.

The problem at the moment is that they are snowed under. According to the most recent figures (as of a week ago) there were over 135k applications in process.

Now that said, I'm sure that as in most things, if you have a quiet word to the right person, things can go quicker. For starters, I imagine he would have used a Professional Agent, who would make sure that all documents were correct, and generally smooth the process.
I don't necessarily think Cotton would be a high priority for the Boomers, but if he was, I tend to think that "Olympics" is one way to get your application to the top of the pile.

Reply #782012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So has he met the residency requirements? I certainly know someone who is a professional basketball in Oz that has been living here far longer then Cotton who is struggling to get permanent.
So many people nowadays just expect it to happen. That isn't like it used to be.
Cats supporters yet again going feral about Cotton naturalising, based on no facts.

Reply #782013 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton applied for citizenship in August 2019 (as reported in WA media).

Good memory PeterJohn.

Someone I know who applied for citizenship in 2018 had to wait a year for the paperwork to be processed - but wait there's even more government red tape once you are approved! Depending on your local council will make you wait months on end before the ceremony (where it becomes official).

So in time for the 2020-21 season?

Reply #782016 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/fatherhood-and-citizenship-beckon-wildcats-star-bryce-cotton-ng-b881283584z

Reply #782017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754