Coach B
Years ago

VJBL South East Clubs

Hi All, Somewhat new on here. I am moving to South East Melbourne (Notting Hill to be precise) and have had a coaching background in QLD, most recently for the Spartans. NCAS Assocation Coach that has coached a few state championship winning teams as well as gone to Club Nationals a couple of times as a coach, I was just after some feedback as to the best club to enquire with coaching wise in that region. I was thinking Nunawading or Knox, but would be grateful for some feedback. Thanks

Topic #46592 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox is on a downward spiral, Nunawading would be your best bet out of those two. Avoid Bulleen too

Reply #782018 | Report this post

Coach B  
Years ago

Ok thanks. What about Waverley or even Hawthorn? Would be looking at being involved with the boys program

Reply #782019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are pretty close to Sandringham, which is a club on the rise, and will only get stronger when it's new courts are constructed.

Reply #782020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading would be best. Waverley is developing and closer, depends what you want I guess. Sabres and Dandenong are further away but both have solid enough junior programs

Reply #782023 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Obviously depends on the type of challenge you want, and talent you wish to work with. Also depends on whether any of these clubs are willing to give you the opportunity you are seeking.

Nunawading is strong across the board, and along with Waverley, is your closest association.

Waverley is doing some good things but not as strong as Nunawading.

Knox has their issues IMO are currently headed in the wrong direction.

Hawthorn are rising across the board, but a bit further away and closer to the city.

Dandenong is going through a period of change and dealing with their own challenges. Sandringham is another option to explore but not as close as Nunawading and Waverley.

Reply #782026 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Hawthorn you might find hard to get a good team in cos they're very ambitious, but they do seem to have a strong kids program and lots of success.

Camberwell might be ok, but a bit weaker.

And STAY AWAY from Bulleen! Entrenched coaches and politics at the elite level, poor support at lower levels - this is a consistent message I get from contacts inside the club.

Reply #782028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends what your after. Go to an established super club and get in line or find somewhere you could make a real difference to a program. Nunnawading, Hawthorn, Dandenong don't need you. Waverley and McKinnon are actually your closest. Sandy is a fair bit further. Sandy has lost a few decent coaches and don't have a committee at the moment. I'm saying that did gain one from Waverley that just won a state champ. Call a few and have a chat to the people that run them and you'll get a real feel for where you'll get the best opportunity.

Reply #782148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandringham is about 5 mins from McKinnon, not really "a fair bit further" they do have a committee also. Every club needs experienced coaches, you won't have trouble getting a position except that it’s a bad time of year to be looking.

Reply #782156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn easy.

Reply #782164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like some don't like Bulleen. Every time I’ve coached against them they seem well structured. But I would suggest you ring around and chat to each clubs coaching director

Reply #782465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox are doing just fine, The girls side is struggling a bit, but the boys side is doing well. Shut up

Reply #782572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are no issuse at Knox, they are doing just fine

Reply #782573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers need some help.

Reply #788197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there poaching rules for VJBL? Just watched some kids in the Dandenong tournament who have clearly been undervalued by their associations. What are the rules here coaches?

Reply #788744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754