Jack Toft
Years ago

Kings v Phoenix Dec 23

Last chance to be good before Santa comes. Time to pile up the prawns.

The top of the table Kings are doing everything to give the Cats the top spot, but it's a poisoned chalice no-one wants. Kings gift Bullets a sympathy win on Saturday opening up an opportunity for the Cats, and then the Cats handball that hot potato back to the Kings with a United win.

SEM have an opportunity to leap frog both the Sixers and Snakes with a win today and snatch back a top 4 spot. The new boys of the competition have had a great season so far but have slumped over the last month or so. Creek has been outstanding in form demanding a first five spot with perhaps an MVP cherry on that cream come season's end. He is the key to their success and when lanes to the basket open up, he is unstoppable. To paraphrase the great and cunning linguist Corey Williams "you just gotta give Mitch Creek that nugget"

Sydney at home are 6 and 1 for a reason. SEM 2 and 4 on the road. For SEM to get this, they need their bench to lift. Yes, the starters play more than other starters, but when they are on the bench, the benchies need to be scoring and not just holding the score in a static manner. For the Kings to get this one at home, my kiss of death goes to Shaun Bruce. The Kings have some talent, but I think Shaun Bruce is the silent barometer. Whenever he is shooting well and playing good D, the Kings get up. Just watch and observe the silent heart at work.

Kings by 2

Topic #46599 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Who knows this year, seriously. Kings by 10 or SEM by 7, flip a coin. Ware-Roberson should be fun.

Reply #782205 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is Moller back?

Reply #782212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question. If he is then expect the Kings to stomp the Phoenix by 20. If not then Phoenix by 10-15.

Reply #782216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Moller is back till mid January, it’s his ability to guard the pick and roll that has been missed the most. Even with out him kings should win this by a reasonable score or they are pretenders. Lisch would would be good for the kings as well.

Kings by 12 minimum.

Reply #782224 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

It won't matter if Moller is playing expect Sydney to win by 10+

Reply #782226 | Report this post

Bert  
Years ago

* not playing

Reply #782227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

according to Dwayne this is a packed house

Reply #782261 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As I read your post the camera angle went wide to reveal a massive purple curtain.

Reply #782262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney is being kissed by the refs so bad. It's disgusting

Reply #782263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm losing interest in the nbl the last few weeks the refs need to let them play.physical players like Wesley can’t seem to play this game anymore the refs just over officiate

Reply #782264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's getting worse lol. Casper flopped a ripper then

Reply #782265 | Report this post

Up Stith Creek  
Years ago

Madgen vs Ware = Flop watch...

Reply #782266 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What has happened to the defence in this league. Every team is an open sieve.

Reply #782267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players are too afraid to defend due to the refs falling for every soft foul that continually gets called.

Reply #782268 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That makes perfect sense actually.

Reply #782270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How on Earth did Lemanis pick Cooks over Creek. That's horrendously bad

Reply #782274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was months ago before the season began.
Creeks had his best season yet and is no doubt ahead of Cooks atm.

Reply #782276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis has been dealt with accordingly based on his decisions for that World Cup.

Reply #782277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is going to destroy all the good work it has done in the last 2 years if it doesn't sort out the disgraceful and in acceptable level of refereeing. Everything has improved in the league but the referee standard has gone backwards. Losing interest because of the rubbish dished up and its getting worse by the week. Please NBL wake up!!

Reply #782278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Benson has to go. I love Pineau's heart and energy but a dominant big would take Phoenix to the next level. They’ve lost so many games by single figures and you’d think someone half as good as Long or Bogut would have made the difference. Especially because they get dominated inside and o boards are an issue. Can’t understand the logic behind keeping Benson and just not playing him.

Reply #782279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with above. SEM have effectively played with one import for the season so far. Can't keep that up in this league.

Reply #782281 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This von Hof narc is in love with himself - randomly shows a pic of himself shirtless for no reason, WTF. NBL on air talent (if you can call it that) is shocking.

Reply #782285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Van Hof struggled in the SEABL for Kilsth. Big bodied and limited talent. NOT nbl material at all.

Reply #782287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Van Hof struggled in the SEABL for Kilsth. Big bodied and limited talent. NOT nbl material at all.

Reply #782288 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Typical terrible refereeing with no consistency on the screens or the charge/block. Benson is a prime example, gets pinged for an illegal screen identical to pretty much every screen getting set tonight, but gets called for it because he's both an import and a big. Entertaining game though and I liked what I saw from the more quick/youthful lineups with Cooks/Bruce/Tate/Taylor (gasp).

Reply #782289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Van Hof struggled in the SEABL for Kilsth. Big bodied and limited talent then NOT nbl material ever.

Reply #782290 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh, and crowd topped 10k which is great for a Monday night at this time of year.

Reply #782291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes 10k is a good crowd even in ideal circumstances on the weekend let alone tonight but anyway back to what everyone wants to know how did Van Hof do for Kilsth in the SEABL? Why won't anyone address this? Is he nbl material?

Reply #782292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over 3400 posts of pure dribble.
No one cares about Von Hoffe.

Reply #782293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FVH. Nah.

Reply #782297 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I regret mentioning the turd. Apologies. Really wish I hadn't left the TV on and saw that abomination of a post game show.

Reply #782300 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Re Benson, Trigger suggested a viable theory on the NBL Pocket Podcast.

Phoenix want Benson to leave the team of his own accord so as to replace him and not be hit with extra $$. Benson doesn't want to give up the guaranteed coin. In response Phoenix keep him on but make his statistical output look like turd, thereby hurting future job prospects.

Does this seem reasonable to anyone else or neh?

Reply #782304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben
If true bad result for all concerned. Phoenix are not winning it this season so short term loss but Benson could be long term job prospects become not available due to his stats and time this season.
I'm not certain he’s been given a fair shot though, he just never gets any time.

Reply #782305 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I feel like Benson has definitely contributed when given minutes. Don't know what the story is but it feels off to me.

Reply #782306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do they not play Benson to make him look bad or is he bad so they don't play him? I’m going with option b. Judging by their roster, they don’t have a Kings/United type budget, so they can’t cut him because they’d have to pay him out and then pay his replacement. They’ve already had to double up for Tai/Jaye Crockett don’t forget.

Reply #782307 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ben,

I think that is the only thing that makes any kind of sense with Benson. He's shown this season when given enough minutes he can contribute well I think he had a 20 point game earlier in the season.

SEM obviously made a mistake not releasing him earlier during the probationary period before his contract became fully guaranteed for the rest of the season, probably due to the Wesley injury situation Tai did come back much earlier than expected he was supposed to be out until January. The Wesley/Crockett double up as mentioned likely a factor too.

But yeah they're probably trying to entice Benson to quit and forgo the rest of his money so as to stop his stock from dropping so much next season.

Reply #782308 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Something specific to Benson's contract is preventing his release.

I'm amused by anyone who thinks Von Hofe could possibly have put that graphic up all by himself. That's not how TV works.

Reply #782309 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Phoenix are toast. Rely so heavily on freakish shooting from Roberson to make of a token defence. Slide will continue out of top 5/6 in league.

Reply #782310 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Koberulz is an expert on tv from his long and successful tv career

Reply #782311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They rely on Creek so much at both ends of the court, yesterday his scoring let him down after half time and Roberson was in foul trouble so sat on bench for periods of time, though Adnam stepped up offensively it still was never enough. They are still a chance and are very well coached but Pineau as good as he's played is still not a starting five.
They should try Wesley, Creek, Madgen, Adnam, Roberson and see how it goes. Gibson, Pineau and Trist off the bench. Stevens occasionally can score but his defence is non existent.

If the kings get Lisch and Moller back healthy and a few games under their belt before finals they are very deep and while not as offensively as good as United are very good defensively.

Reply #782312 | Report this post

onlooker  
Years ago

the Kings pass and share the ball better than any other team. 2 things hold them back, #1 poor rebounding, some games it is a joke. #2 they create the looks but everyone is "cold" and shots are not dropping. Maybe too many rotations does not allow players to "settle in."

Reply #782313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cook in and Moller back and there rebounding will be fine. They are not favourites, behind Perth and United but will certainly turn up when the big games start. The minor premiership could be pivotal.

Reply #782314 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Some good blocks called fouls, now.
Deshon Taylor - pretty to watch.

Reply #782316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes you would think Taylor who has not been great but has showed more as he's settled would have been a better option for the future than Randle and certainly White. His offence is starting to gel and he’s a very good defender.

Reply #782318 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Woah woah woah. Before tonight Deshon Taylor was like 5/35 from the field. He has average handles and this limits him from getting to the hoop. If 36ers have him, Moore and Griffin they would have severe scoring problems.

Reply #782321 | Report this post

I don't think von Hoffe put up his own shirtless pics tbh.

Reply #782466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754