Jack Toft
Years ago

United v Snakes Dec 26

I hope everyone celebrated Scott Ninnis' birthday yesterday, but the NBL action returns today.

Cairns hope to hold onto 4th spot with a stirring win in the open air game against United. United have almost done enough to lock in a top 4 spot, but anything can happen once Santa has been and he has looked at the naughty list. United have played some patchy basketball this season but seem to snare the games they need to. Cairns have been punching above their weight and are not intimidated by the smell of soy in the evening.

Some classic matchups today, Trimble v Machado & Long v Oliver are the headline acts, but I think the X factors will make the game. CG43 for United and Deng for Cairns.

United by 2

Topic #46606 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

United won't lose this, new import Kidd is just what they need.

United by 14

Reply #782491 | Report this post

United 7+

Reply #782492 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hopefully not much wind around tonight could be the last we ever see of Majok Deng.

United by 12

Reply #782493 | Report this post

That's gold Zodiac.

Reply #782494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Cairns but United getting down to business tonight for a double digit win

Reply #782495 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth Arena also has a retractable roof. Where's our open air game?

Reply #782505 | Report this post

Patience my brother.

Reply #782506 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's late December and United's hitting form. Kidd will help too.

United by double digits.

Reply #782513 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Perthworld, I think its been discussed before that the scoreboard is a problem, but i dont know how Melbourne get around that as they also have a cube scorebord hanging from the rafter.

That and or maybe Perth isnt interested in the gimmick ;)

Reply #782514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The open roof makes this a really awkward game to watch on TV... It looks blurrier than usual

Reply #782517 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Some real soft fouls being called against Cairns, United should go to the hoop every possession.

Reply #782519 | Report this post

Too much Xmas Turkey for the United.

Reply #782520 | Report this post

20-9 at QT. Cairns.

Reply #782521 | Report this post

The kid still a better threethrow shooter than Dario Hunt.

Reply #782522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United suck, getting beat down over the course of the season by a bog average team is pitaful considering how much they spend.

Reply #782523 | Report this post

People appear fixated on how much teams spend.

Reply #782525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well technically the more you spend the better team you should have. Its not just this season, united have for whatever reason struggled against Cairns when they have never really had a good team and that's mostly due to how restricted financially they are.

Reply #782526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are not bog average, Kelly actually got this side firing very nicely. Three very good imports.

Reply #782528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say 2 good imports, newbell is just meh for mine.

100% agree Kelly has got the team playing above themselves and has totally embarrassed vickerman since leaving utd.

Reply #782529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newbell might be average but Newbill is a gun.

Reply #782531 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Newbill is an excellent steadying influence. Underrated for sure. Gets it done with minimum fuss.

Reply #782533 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Newbill one of those guys who is much better when surrounded by talent. Perfect complimentary player on offence and strong individual defender.

Reply #782534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heat check

Reply #782535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that kuany kuany on the 2nd row bench

Reply #782536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny is stealing money at this point... They'd be better off playing a development player over this spud.

Reply #782537 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Has so why build an arena with a retractable roof if there is no contingency for removing the scoreboard?

Reply #782539 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kuany Kuany is training with United now I believe.

Reply #782540 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Jawai two horrible possessions.

Reply #782542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad watching cairns slowly choke this away

Reply #782544 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Was Djeric's shot always like that? I can’t recall it being so unique when he was with Townsville.

Reply #782545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't even get a shot up. Awful.

Reply #782547 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If United can take this it wouldn't be as bad as the Phoenix game for Cairns, but not far off it.

Reply #782548 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Both teams are choking it up in the clutch.

Reply #782549 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jell Fumble

Reply #782550 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

*Melo Fumble

Reply #782551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should've been USF on McCarron if they were consistent.

Reply #782552 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Go Cairns!!!

Reply #782553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Snakes

Reply #782554 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cairns only one game behind Utd now.

Reply #782555 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Also LOL Utd

Reply #782556 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Djeric playing like a rich man's Steindl.

Reply #782557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly and for that matter Mitchell might be the reason United won the championship two seasons back, they have both done fine as head coaches where vickerman has struggled.

Reply #782559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sad for Utd that they could not win it in their own gym with Cairns choking as hard as they did in the last 15 minutes.

Reply #782560 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Smith Milner has to be the worst player getting court time in the nbl! Dude is a bum

Reply #782562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kelly and for that matter Mitchell might be the reason United won the championship two seasons back, they have both done fine as head coaches where vickerman has struggled"

Settle down. Vickerman won championship with NZ. I'd say it’s more to do with a healthy Prather and Casper then Mitchell

Reply #782563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather missed two thirds season when Melbourne won and NZ were star studded. United are spending more than anyone and can't bear Cairns.

Reply #782566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans gunning for top 3, Melbourne United better win the next game or they could slip down to 6th Place.

Reply #782568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0 and 1 Jack toft

Reply #782569 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

off to another good start, I thought it would be a 2 point game

Reply #782570 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

cairns making this season really interesting.

god i would love them to roll sydney and win the championship.

unfortunately i think what we will ultimately see is the real evidence of the lack of equality in the league.

cairns will struggle in a 3 game series, and die if they make the gf

then stand back and watch as everything not nailed down is stolen away

Reply #782577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince should be looking over his shoulder right now.

Reply #782578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm done with the 36ers, I’m all about the cairns train now! They play the game the right way.

Reply #782579 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think any team would want to play Cairns in a 3 game series, to tell you the truth. I’d much rather Sydney face Melbourne than Cairns in the semis or Finals.

Reply #782581 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Has so why build an arena with a retractable roof if there is no contingency for removing the scoreboard?
The score cube is never used for the tennis, which is what RAC Arena's roof is for. It was built to be a Hopman Cup venue that was also capable of hosting other things, thus the tennis court colour scheme on the walls.

They wanted to be able to emulate Australian Open conditions in order to entice better players over for the Hopman Cup. That's why there's a retractable roof.

Reply #782582 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cairns is showing that you don't need to be 10 deep

They're well balanced, well coached and have an import trio who are playing consistently well at both ends.

Reply #782583 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Milner smith. Does he think. 2 bone headed plays. CG43 was hot and never looked like Milner Smyth even knew he was on court. Amazing how low iq some these dudes have.united rob by refs. Why no usf call is mind blowing. Cost the game.

Reply #782584 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Luck definitely comes into it too, with Cairns imports all playing every game

Prather, Hopson, Brooks, Wesley all have missed most of the season

But if you manage to stay injury free and have a balanced group then you should be competitive, even in this league with big spenders and budget teams. Cairns are the answer to the parity question.

Reply #782585 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Yep, Cairns have been quite lucky with injuries, although you need that if you're going to win it all. I think they have the right idea playing the good 6-7 main players. You don't need much more than that in a 40 minute game that you play once a week. I think it's rubbish how teams play so deep and try to manage minutes to the extent they do.

Reply #782587 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agreed, plenty of teams have won championships playing 7 or 8 main guys, even in the NBA. Consider the Cavs in 2016 or Raptors in 2019.

This is why Cairns may be a fighting chance, if Machado, Newbill and Oliver keep playing at this level with great support from 4 or 5 others, it doesn't matter so much that Sydney, United, Perth has more talent in the 9, 10, 11 spots

Reply #782588 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Newbill clearly MVPfor game. Mello got away with two blatant charges. Machado took game personally and did not play well for mine.Djeric was sensational.

Reply #782590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

united rob by refs. Why no usf call is mind blowing. Cost the game.

Which play should have been an USF?

Reply #782591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United robbed by refs? What an oxymoron.

Did you watch the first half? Refs kept United close

Reply #782592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As pitiful offensively as they were in the first half, it's Melbourne’s defence that is the glaring problem right now. Long takes only a passing interest in it, Trimble is getting better but still nowhere near where he should be and Goulding is laughably bad at it. McCarron and Ili work hard but they are on an island sometimes and their team systems just aren’t getting the job done. I know they held Perth down in Perth, but that was more due to the lack of execution by the Cats more than anything special United was doing. To me, it’s what stops United from winning a title. When it comes right down to it, they can’t get stops when they absolutely need them.

Reply #782597 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Djeric has really impressed me this season he's genuinely underrated defensively. He's a cold blooded gunner that has the ability to keep the Taipans in any game giving them a puncher's chance but he's definitely matured and improved defensively whilst in Serbia.

I look at Djeric as the player the Sixers probably hoped Drmic would become.

Reply #782599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When we are going to put to bed the idea that Melbourne's expensive and star-studded line up is going to translate into success? Injuries aside, they still have a stacked team but haven't been able to get it together. They've got too many ball dominant players and their defence has been shocking in patches. Their record is indicative of not having the right balance in their squad.

Reply #782600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are stacked and they know it. Even the best teams the league has seen have dropped some games along the way. It is only natural for a group this talented to be complacent sometimes. All they need to do is win enough games to stay in the top 4 until Prather gets back and they will be just fine once the playoffs start. Even without Prather they will be the 2nd best team in the league by the end of the regular season. Acuil gets better every week and Kidd only just arrived so have some patience.

Reply #782603 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The commentators said last night Prather is 6 weeks away minimum he's all but done for the season.

Reply #782605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather won't play again this season. He’s done. Melbourne were offered a bunch of guys by agents but needed someone both available immediately and who would be on the roster for the rest of the season, including the playoffs. Kidd fit the bill.

Reply #782606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a few years ago when Perth almost missed the playoffs but then smashed through everyone once Prather returned near the end of the regular season.

Reply #782607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly done a great job, shown how smart he is. Put a young and fit side together that play attractive basketball.

Noi out out makes them more team oriented, he should comoff the bench when he returns.

Reply #782608 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United needs to get better at executing in clutch situations

They're 3-5 In games decided by 5 or less and 1-3 where the margin is 2 or less

Still, if United ever gets healthy with Pledger back and once Kidd settles, they match up well against Perth and that should be 2 vs 3.

Reply #782613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Acuil gets better every week

Hahahahaha no he doesnt.

Reply #782615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It is only natural for a group this talented to be complacent sometimes."

Complacent enough to have a record barely above .500?

Reply #782617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talent is useless unless you have brains to go with it, Melbourne have some dumb and selfish players that are well overrated. The homicide talks up Long the more rubbish he plays.

Reply #782618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cg43 is a great shooter and he's Also great at .........?????

Reply #782620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've watched many games this year newbill is far away the most consistent I’ve seen along with creek .

Reply #782621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cg43 is a great shooter and he's Also great at .........?????"

drawing fouls

fully recovering from serious in-game injuries

motivating teammates to play a certain way despite not playing that way himself

arousing dwayne russell

Reply #782622 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Other than Sydney getting a head start, every team is so inconsistent. Good is awesome and bad is bad.

Any team that makes the top 4 will have a chance to win no matter who has home court advantage.

Still reckon Adelaide got stiffed not winning the tittle couple of years ago. Prather is cooked and if he returns he ain't going to win you the chip.

Goulding is out if tassie get a team next season. He looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Reply #782623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's good to see the parity in the league so close.
What utter dribble.

Reply #782625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney's bad is pretty bad to. They lost to Perth by almost 30 and bullets and cairns game to

Reply #782626 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings have not had a great couple of weeks, definitely beatable on any given night, like everyone else.

Reply #782629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings got injuries hasn't helped but yes all sides are definitely beatable.

Reply #782630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I laugh when commentators and the public talk nba with bubbles he is so far off wouldn't even be a good training scrimmage player because defence . slow sideways movement and no athleticism .solid nbl shooter at best

Reply #782632 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bubbles can play D when he wants to (see: World Cup). He's a huge momentum player, when his shot is dropping his whole game lifts, but when he is struggling with his shot his whole game suffers.

Reply #782633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible slow defender that's defends the oppositions worst offensive player like teys damian Martian etc you will never see bubbles on newbell Casper randle Cotten etc educated people know this

Reply #782635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martian
Newbell
Cotten
Educated...

OK then.

Reply #782638 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Martian....haa haa.

Reply #782640 | Report this post

Power  
Years ago

Educated people understand grammer , punctuation and know how to spell

Reply #782641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the Taipans learning and improving every game.

Reply #782642 | Report this post

Grammer LoL.

Reply #782645 | Report this post

Power  
Years ago

Doh

Reply #782651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor grammar but hard to argue with his or her points I noticed he never guards the good players either

Reply #782659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't think any team would want to play Cairns in a 3 game series, to tell you the truth. I'd much rather Sydney face Melbourne than Cairns in the semis or Finals."
I guarantee you that any team would much rather face Cairns than Perf or Sydney.
Besides, Cairns have no depth

Reply #782717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb united compete with each for who will top score and have the best stats.
Check body language when certain guys dont get the ball

Reply #782786 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:24 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754