Anonymous
Years ago

Eric Griffin unguardable: Wright

Joey Wright has called Eric Griffin unguardable. I must admit he's playing really well after a shaky start to the season.

"This guy (Griffin) stepped up and did some things that were phenomenal out on the court," Wright said.

"When he mixes it up, scoring off the dribble, hitting the three-ball, posting up, he's unguardable.

"It's fun to watch. It's entertaining."

Topic #46642 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Agree been saying all season how good Griff f o r the sixers. He brings h i s game Sixers are on fire. Plays hard plays with passion plays no fear always competes...work dawg.

Reply #783951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's great offensively, but his D negates it.

Reply #783954 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

But he only plays him 23 mins a game?

Reply #783959 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He also finds ball-screens unguardable!

Great offensive talent, but unless he puts in some serious off-season work improving his D I don't know any team can go with him and expect to contend.

Reply #783967 | Report this post

Great offensive player that's about it.

Reply #783969 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"I must admit he's playing really well after a shaky start to the season"

Have you had your head in the sand? You didn't watch his recent games against NZ and Hawks? Both games he was the worst -/+ on the team.

Last 5 games we are 2-3 and he has been 17-32 (53%) from the foul line.

Hardly playing really well....

"Plays hard plays with passion plays no fear always competes"

When did this happen? All I see is a lazy shit on defense

"But he only plays him 23 mins a game?"

Because he can't play defense

He gets one good block every second game and people then excuse his shit defense. Or he has a good offense game and then people think "he's playing really well" totally forgetting how bad defensively he is.

He is terrible at blocking out. In fact it has cost us multiple games (Not blocking out Jawai in Pre-season. Not blocking out Tate against Sydney who got the rebound and kicked it out for a 3 which basically forced OT and ultimately the game). It has been a factor in losses in other games.

He is terrible at rotating at defense.

His defensive effort is terrible.

He is too stupid to work out how many fouls he has and what point it is in the game so he doesn't even contest shots at times. Even just put a hand up would be better than nothing.

He invites players in for a layup so he can attempt to block it.

Continues to get stupid fouls in defense and offense (going for loose balls or rebounds and pushing players out of the way then complains about the call when it was a simple call to make)

When he actually puts effort in defense he has these break out games. He has the ability to do these things but chooses not too due to lack of basketball IQ and or work ethic

Reply #783971 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Is Joey doing some PR for Griffin's agent?
1x good game in the last handful and he’s suddenly unguardable lol.

Reply #783982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey talking it up about Griffin to take the heat away from his sides own lack lustre performance.

Reply #783986 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey talking it up about Griffin to take the heat away from his sides own lack lustre performance.

Yeah a win over the defending champs who were playing for top spot is pretty lacklustre.

Bizarre comments from Joey though there isn't anything great about Griffin.

Reply #783998 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

The toughest hurdle for Griffin to overcome is that unlike every other Nbl power forward he doesn't get to be defended by Eric Griffin four times a season.

He has length is athletic and has a decent stroke but at times has NFI what he is doing at either end of the court. Frustrating, exciting and sadly humorous all at the same time.

Reply #784001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, I must admit, result aside, Joey did his best to lose that game. When they fall behind by 3 and Randle went hero ball, Joey looked like a deer in headlights. Took a supreme few moments, from the players.

Griffin is good, but even he would have to admit, his defensive abilities are woeful.

Reply #784013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin - gun offensive player, NBA athlete, terrible defender and appears to be a hothead

Reply #784020 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac, I must admit, result aside, Joey did his best to lose that game. When they fall behind by 3 and Randle went hero ball, Joey looked like a deer in headlights.

No he didn't he correctly and astutely judged the situation by benching Randle.

Reply #784022 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I reckon Joey is just stroking Griffin's ego in the media to give the guy some confidence, encourage him to do more of the good stuff, and maybe even to lure in a few more fans who otherwise just hear negative comments about him.

Reply #784024 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agreed it's probably what he is doing.

Reply #784029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, be benched him for 30 seconds. They had a tiff, and then he desperately inserted him back in, surely not knowing which randle was going to come back in.

Reply #784038 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And then when he came back on Randle stopped hogging it and started passing it again and we won the game. That's called great coaching in anyone's language.

Reply #784040 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah Randle is no good hero balling, had to be pulled out. Griffin had a brilliant game offensively he didn't charge recklessly, he drove aggressively and manoeuvred nicely to avoid charges and had a very soft touch to finish.

Defensively he’s a joke either he fouls or doesn’t defend or tries to block everything. With DJ useless defensively we have real trouble getting hammered down low. Even Froling is more offensively minded.

Next year realistically we need a import defensive big, and more three point shooting power to replace Moore.

Reply #784046 | Report this post

Wonder if Adelaide will want Griffin next year.

Reply #784047 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

His defense is fine. He is a good shotblocker. Just can get in foul trouble at times. Huge upgrade on that absolute junktime player Jacob Wiley.

Reply #784052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We as a fan base and Joey as a coach, got lucky randle decided to play team ball. You make it sound like after all this time, Joey finally came up with the magic words to get Jerome to involve his team mates?! It's pot luck with a personality like randle in which version you’re going to get. That doesn’t translate to great coaching in any language.

Reply #784054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, I reckon Adelaide will want griffin back. They're definitely trying to turn him into a marketable face of the club.

Jerome Randle won’t be back. There was a time I’d be upset about that, but he has declined, or atleast his style of play has in relation to how the nbl played now days.

Reply #784056 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Griffin isn't happy with Joey's tough regime so is trying to Wright the ship and make him happy. Adelaide can ill afford an import walking out and getting another.

Reply #784057 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"His defense is fine."

No it isn't.

"Jerome Randle won't be back"

Yes he will as he has a 2 year deal I believe.

"Adelaide can ill afford an import walking out and getting another."

Griffin won't walk out.

Reply #784064 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"His defense is fine".

Possibly the most bizarre thing I have ever read on here.

Reply #784068 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

I agree. Jerome wants out and is willing to let his second year slide. Jerome and Griffin has established a close bond and both wants to walk.

Reply #784069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac says "Yeah a win over the defending champs who were playing for top spot is pretty lacklustre."
Please don't cite one game as the reason the team isn't lacklustre. Was the loss to NZ and achievement? The one eyed fans here just piss me off. You can quote all the stats etc but at the end of the day the Sixers will probably miss out on the Finals again, still. That again/still is lacklustre and underwhelming.
Time for a change yet again. The Joey con has been allowed and now with JVG there. Enjoy. It will get worse. Look at the Kings under JVG.

Reply #784082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder if Adelaide will want Griffin next year.
If the dollar figure I heard for this season is true, you'd run screaming before next year. For that money, you want an MVP who can at least start games.

Reply #785409 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is he the 3x player you mentioned before?

Reply #785412 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That just make the Sixers look even worse if he's on good money they should've cut him without penalty earlier in the season.

Earlier in the season someone on here said he was only on $100k which I thought was believable given he can't stick anywhere and played for three different teams last season plus Joey moving him to the bench.

If he's seriously on MVP level money the Sixers owner needs to have a good hard look at himself.

Reply #785416 | Report this post

Eric Griffin unsignable might be more accurate if he is indeed on big money.

Reply #785426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754