Jack Toft
Years ago

Taipans v Bullets Jan 3

The Battle of the Banana Benders opens Round 14. After record crowds in round 13 and a few upsets, will round 14 be just as exciting, or is 14 just another number?

Brisbane are lurking down the bottom of the table doing everything they can to challenge Illawarra for bottom spot. Roadwise, they have travelled like a Hobo this season. 3 and 7 on the road is better than they deserve. The "average" NBL team scores 91 on the road and they are averaging 3 less than this on the road with only one 100+ score on the road against a hapless Melbourne last round. Lamar Patterson going to town like a shark on a whale carcass scoring 35. Their other road wins being against Illawarra. When last they played in Cairns, they score a paltry 85 and Cairns won by 9.

Cairns at home are 7 and 3. Cairns are not a high scoring team, but they get results. They have only scored 100+ points at home once this season, but keep teams to an average of 86.8 ppg, 4.6 ppg below par for a road team. Machado seemingly untameable at the moment will require the Bullets to put on their thinking caps if this snake is to be tamed. But, catching him and putting him in the bag just means another one slithers on by. You would think Oliver would be a headache with a matchup hard to make and the Snakes' unpredictable style of play making Lemanis reach for his high blood pressure medication.

Cairns crowds are bigger for what they should be and the Taipans bite hard in front of them. Brisbane with no real sense of direction can only really be save by Scomo's "thoughts and prayers".

Snakes by 5

Topic #46643 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm calling Bullets shooters to be on today & keep Brisbane in hunt for the fourth.

Reply #783983 | Report this post

Given the trend of upsets each week I'm going with Brisbane.

Reply #783994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the trend of Taipans home wins lately, I'm going with the Taipans :)

Reply #784030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any news on Noi

Reply #784032 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Buzzas to get up here.

Noi didn't train yesterday, so will probably fail pre-game fitness test

Reply #784036 | Report this post

Agree with Fieldel .
Upsets happen and the snake train might stop rolling.

Reply #784048 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Brissy. Cadee back in rare vein. Sobey Patterson. Team is firing nicely to make strong finish to season. Must win. Snakes are overdue for a letdown.

Reply #784059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans looked better with out Noi, more fluent in offence and better defensively. Noi should come off the bench as a scoring threat and rebounder.

Can Brisbane lift again, I doubt it, Machado to make Cadee and Sobey what they are, not starting point guards. Cairns by 8.

Reply #784083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This round and next will shape the playoffs considerably. I'm a Breakers fan so I’m hoping Cairns push Brisbane back down the ladder.

Reply #784093 | Report this post

Beware of Adelaide.
Griffin given huge vote of confidence from master coach Joey.

Reply #784095 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

^
And what's this got to do with Cns v Brisbane?

Reply #784100 | Report this post

Everything thunderwank.
It's a battle for those playoff spots.

My tip Adelaide and United :)

Reply #784104 | Report this post

P.s I can see why you don't post often you clearly don't contribute anything of interest to the forum , you just try to put down others.

Reply #784105 | Report this post

Good to see the three counted.

Reply #784108 | Report this post

" land of plenty" commentators have a lame new catchphrase.

Reply #784115 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Yep, very lame.

Reply #784117 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Brisbane's ball screen defense is atrocious.

Reply #784118 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Who is commentating with Homicide and Gaze? He is bad.

Reply #784124 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

When the Taipans go on to win, I'm betting we’ll see Andrej trot out the tired and worn "We we’re getting good looks but the shots just weren’t dropping" line during the post game.

Please Kevin Martin, please, find a way to move on this muppet,

Reply #784126 | Report this post

Jack Toft fan  
Years ago

The bullet is so fucking bad hurt my fcking eye just watching them play omg

Reply #784127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Heverin. Another radio caller with no idea how to call a TV game. He's better than Cam Luke but not by much.

Reply #784128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets see duffelMeier and Wynyard.

Reply #784129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane is a mess. No ball containment, not much interest in closing out, no idea how to defend the on ball. In other words, a typical Andrej Lemanis coached
team.

Reply #784130 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Seb Costello and Cam Tragardh, neither of whom are good.

Reply #784131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that Costello? No wonder. He's garbage.

Reply #784133 | Report this post

Where is Cadee??  
Years ago

How did Melbourne United loose to the rabble that is the Bullets?

Reply #784134 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Heverin hey. He sounds like he should be commentating Ninja Warrior with the constantly raised voice.

Just saw a replay of the Oliver dunk ony, which I'd missed earlier. Nice!

Reply #784135 | Report this post

Crossing to Cam Tragardh is like listening to a Taipans supporter in the front row after a dozen four x...

Reply #784136 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure the main commentator is Seb Costello.

Reply #784137 | Report this post

Sobey travel... Funniest thing I have seen this year....

Reply #784138 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Nice one, Machado. MVP-caliber play right there.

Reply #784139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, you're up 4 with 4 seconds to go and you pull someone's shirt to give up an unsportsmanlike foul?????

Where's your basketball IQ Machado!

Reply #784140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans games this season are always watchable. Not always for the reasons you expect.

Reply #784141 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

What a finish. Sloppy turnovers and bone headed plays and Cairns just scrape over the line.

Reply #784142 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Being a Taipans supporter may lead to an early death. Playing so well on the year but my goodness the brain fades.. not just the obvious Machado moment but the whole 4th was wtf?! Bullets sped us and Taipans go crap iso ball and lose momentum.

DJ thoroughly underrated. Even with the great guards in this league the way he plays both ends has to be on nbl 2nd team somewhere

Reply #784143 | Report this post

Big Harry  
Years ago

Jason Cadee 16:02mins 3 points... Ouch

Reply #784146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a neutral Newbill is so underrated. Played well every season he's been in the league.

I like Gaze, but tonight was not his best night, his love of JC is sickening. The other were woeful, never let the facts get in the way, just make crap up as they go. I think the nbl is a great product and I understand refs don’t always get it right but the commentary is abysmal.

Reply #784147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Crossing to Cam Tragardh is like listening to a Taipans supporter in the front row after a dozen four x..." Which is like having one real beer. ;)
Or about as bad as your 1st post.

Reply #784150 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Bullets 5/29 from deep before Sobey (0/4) launched a three to potentially win the game. Top choice.

Reply #784157 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Hey Ben:

When the Taipans go on to win, I'm betting we'll see Andrej trot out the tired and worn "We we’re getting good looks but the shots just weren’t dropping" line during the post game.

This close enough for you?

"I thought at times the offence generated us some really nice looks but they just didn’t go in for whatever reason," coach Andrej Lemanis said.

Reply #784162 | Report this post

Tragardh is ok just prefer Ransome or Hertz.

Reply #784168 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Crossing to Cam Tragardh is like listening to a Taipans supporter in the front row after a dozen four x...

Tragardh is the most awkward person on television - whoever cast him was on the XXXX.

Reply #784175 | Report this post

Taipans lucky to escape with a win.
Credit to Brisbane for last quarter fightback.

Reply #784176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gliddon is terrible now

Reply #784181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey's decision making in prime time is terrible. Travel/charge/jump ball play was devastating for Brisbane. Machado getting too cute with ball for mine. Newbill more steady and more effective. Oliver meathead play was almost Breakers revisited.

Reply #784185 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bullets 5/29 from deep before Sobey (0/4) launched a three to potentially win the game. Top choice.
The numbers generally say to go for the win on the road.

Reply #784186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld it's hard when another team is looking better than the Wildcats I know! You are the most awkward person on the internet and can make people uncomfortable just by your posts and what we imagine you must look like based off them. Keep killing it you're doing great! Tragardh has had to remain positive through some brutal years in Cairns and still find ways to be positive. Now they're the most in form team in the comp, and you're on him for pointing that out? Haha can't win with perfworld

Reply #784187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know Tragardh was cut at the last second of a season which robbed him of an incredible amount of money from the Taipans and there was bad blood there right? He is the last person on Earth to cheerlead for the Taipans. Dude picked up a local news TV job the second he retired, with no degree, and has commentated NBL and WNBL (including finals of both leagues) since the day he retired. And with all due respect I don't think it's for his looks. The guy is a pro, and calling the best team in the league over the last 2 months the best team in the league might actually be he definition of not cheerleading. Pumping up Cairns gets him nowhere. If he wanted to climb the NBL media ladder he would pump up United or the Kings and pick up those Pom poms with the NBL Overtime boys! The only thing that makes you uncomfortable if the fact he's not cheerleading your team. We should all be so awkward.

Perfworld you don't like Hammer either and constantly bash him? It's ok not to like someone on TV, it would be a boring world if we loved everyone. But just say you don't like them don't make up lies. Hammer is the best commentator in terms of doing his job. Hence why he's the flagship commentator forbthe last decade. He can carry a broadcast. You whinge about the hosts and Homicide's sideshow but don't understand that Hammer holds it together.

Dislike them all you want but they aren't awkward, and the fact you don't like the players they like doesn't mean they're not good at their job.

Reply #784189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Thanks for posting Shane. Flagship commentator :) :) OMG I have heard it all now

Reply #784191 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"[Tragardh] picked up a local news TV job the second he retired, with no degree"

It shows.

Reply #784193 | Report this post

I was blessed with height, looks and athleticism alas my little brother was not.

Reply #784206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PlaymakerMopy with the goods again lol

Reply #784207 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Sobey's decision making in prime time is terrible. Travel/charge/jump ball play was devastating for Brisbane."

That's his weakness. If you took out crunch time last year with Adelaide he had an incredible season, but he's not the man to be making decisions in tight moments.

Reply #784214 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

@Gordon: Classic! Haha. I didn't bother watching any of the post game but was curious with what was said.

Reply #784222 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

^ Thanks for posting Shane. Flagship commentator :) :) OMG I have heard it all now

I'm on the floor laughing. Flagship commentator - LOOOOOOOOOL OMFG
"[Tragardh] picked up a local news TV job the second he retired, with no degree"

It shows.

It sure does, and it applies to most of the "talent" the NBL has piccjed up off the street. Pay peanuts get monkeys.

Reply #784260 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

picked*

Reply #784262 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754