Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v United Jan 4

On face value, you would think this game would be done and dusted and if Scomo was at the time, he would have plenty of time to shake some hands and give a few hugs.

Bottom of the table Hawks are in season over mode. To make the top 4 they need to win the next ten games straight, plus rely on results. That aint gunna happen, so their role is to be a pest. United thought they would be safe in the top 3, but are in fourth spot and actually face numbing out of the top 4. Better make it a double shot of decaf. organic soy in a Greta friendly cup.

On paper Melbourne have it all over the Hawks. Trimble, Long, CG43. If you were on Tinder you would swipe right. But the Hawks are coming off a win at home over Sydney. Was that a fluke, or should United pack the brown jocks? I think this is very much a brown jock game for United. United are only 3&4 outside the state. Sure they smacked the Hawks in Illawarra in round 11, but the Hawks played a shocker an Melo Trimble & Shaun Long scored at will and took advantage of them. I think they will be a little more prepared this time.

I don't think this game will blow out, but if the Hawks play like they did against Sydney they will get this one.

I think United will rise to the occasion and not even old mate with his beer will put them off. United by 9.

Topic #46649 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

*tunes in to broadcast*

*hears jenni screen*

*mutes broadcast*

Reply #784305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance the nbl could stop showing replays during live action? K, thx, bye

Reply #784306 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Heal too. *mute*

Reply #784307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal pumping up froling incessantly

"I'd love to see the Hawks bench either Boone or Ogilvy for the rest of the season and play froling"

"Froling will be better in his second game back rather than this one"

Reply #784308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgot how good it is to listen to games without heal

Reply #784309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets watch ili foul naar 4 times and miss the ensuing turnover and fast break. #seeincredible

Reply #784311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else find these Melbourne based commentators obsession with Goulding a bit weird? Good player but every 3 ball isn't orgasm-worthy

Reply #784312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes - it's been like that for years. Goulding is overrated by the commentators.

Reply #784314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone is having a shocker tonight.

Reply #784315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was that walking of with Ball a fit younger guy

Reply #784316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate to be one of those posters who criticize coaches acting as if you know better than them, but what does vickerman see in TSM. I never seen a player as bad as he is always looks for his own shot

Reply #784317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne defence remains terrible. Turnovers really costing the Hawks.

Reply #784318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield hits a 3 and the commentators hardly even acknowledge it. Goulding touches it and everyone loses their mind #hearincredible

Reply #784319 | Report this post

Trimble has been beyond terrible tonight. He should be riding the pine

Reply #784320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech has been bad as well

Reply #784321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are playing some very uninspiring team ball right now. If Illawarra hadn't thrown the ball away carelessly so often, they'd have a decent lead right now.

Reply #784322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty uninspiring to score 100+ and win on the road by double digits hey

Reply #784323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO "Dech has been bad as well" He single handedly started the rot in the last quarter.

Turnover then an air ball. From then on the doors were open but those 2 consecutive plays started it all.

Reply #784324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From memory they had got to within 2 points before Dech threw away momentum with endless dribbling bad passes and bad shot selection

Reply #784325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Illawarra are better without Ball crowd are quiet today

Reply #784328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First time I've seen Hobson play.
What is he... 6-7"... gets the ball close to the rim and has no idea how to finish over smaller defenders. When he had it on the perimeter he’s jab stepping and forcing up fade away 3 pointers. What a bum! They are better off just playing the young guys instead of him.

Reply #784330 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I've seen a few games of Hobson now and he strikes me as someone playing "bruise-free footy" he's trying to avoid contact and any risk of injury.

He was a FA all season until now and this was likely a low-paying gig just to tide him over until his next contract which I think he's already got one eye on.

Reply #784332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That taunting he did near the end was super cringe

Reply #784333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Pretty uninspiring to score 100+ and win on the road by double digits hey"

Yes.

Reply #784339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United should have cut Trimble and signed Jamal Crawford when they had the chance

Reply #784346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stanton Kidd can play. They should certainly lock him in for the rest of the season and shut down Prather. He can serve as a real X-factor in the playoffs.

Reply #784349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone = lazarus

Reply #784404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

x factor in the playoffs.. IF they make the playoffs. No certainty.

Reply #784407 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Unconvincing win by United

they are clearly out of sorts and still figuring out how to play with this lineup

But hey, when you're battling for playoff positioning, a win is a win. And they did it comfortably in the end

The ironic thing is, United might end up outdoing themselves and finishing too high.

If Perth takes top spot then I have absolutely no doubt Vickerman would rather them finish 4th than 3rd

Reply #784417 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good game by Boone tonight. Lots of people saying he's cooked, but not showing that lately!

Long had 17 points but quite a few of those were against other players, plus that last minute lob

When going one on one in the post, Boone defended him well. Boone also patrolled the glass with 13 rebounds, plus 12 points

Long might get All NBL honors this year, but I'd much rather have the Boone of a couple of years ago. Hopefully Boone keeps looking more like the player he used to be!

Reply #784428 | Report this post

I would take Boone over Dario Hunt any day of the week.

Reply #784429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks got a good look at which past it players they can pilfer away from MU next season to take minutes away from their young guys.

Reply #784433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To many turn overs for Illawarra, Naar got physically out done and Hobson should be sent home.

Reply #784441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754