James Vallance
Years ago

Interesting blog post about a brief basketball career

I came across some interesting content that a fellow parent from my daughters junior basketball team shared on Facebook. It's written by a young woman that was involved in the WNBL pathway. I thought some of you might find it a riveting read. I showed it to my daughters this morning as we avidly attend WNBL games.

It's really well articulated, and honestly a very thought provoking read and something that I think deserves to be shared among the basketball community. I thought this was a great platform to do so.

https://perikalka.com/the-washed-up-athlete/

James V.

Topic #46655 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

A word of warning that you need to skim read the article as a lot of it is feelings-based with odd movie references and not a lot about the actual daily basketball grind and process. At least the author can say she played in the WNBL.

How about training players who end up nowhere. I know someone who was offered a TP spot at the Wildcats but declined as it wasn't worth it with the excessive demands placed on you. Plus it was too much of a risk as Gleeson does not develop players.

Reply #784273 | Report this post

James Vallance  
Years ago

It is more feelings/emotional based as opposed to delving into the behind the scenes operations of being a national league athlete. With that being said, I don't think it's skim-worthy, depending on what you're after. I think it is a topic and a thought process that many athletes could relate to, whether they've climbed the ranks or not.

You've highlighted an interesting topic with respect to the weight of demands.

Reply #784275 | Report this post

I might check out article later if I find spare time.

Reply #784276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I might check out article later if I find spare time." Such a busy life trolling here I know. So little time...

Reply #784296 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I did read it in full but suspect it will be too verbose to be instructive to those who'd benefit most from reading it. I imagine even writing that down was cathartic for the author, doing justice to the abandoned dream.

Reply #784298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all very relatable to be honest. A lot of high level athletes get burnt out and get tired of the sport, this is an interesting story

Reply #784300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also find this feeling even stronger in those that put in the hard yards but don't necessarily receive equal payback

Reply #784301 | Report this post

James Vallance  
Years ago

Agree with above! The love of the game is a driving force, but there would need to be a return for it to be sustained. Strictly monetarily speaking, I can't imagine DP's in the WNBL, or even fringe players would get paid a decent salary

Reply #784303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they would get paid a pittance

Reply #784304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone below the 9th man in a NBL rotation is basically playing for love. There's no way they're making a living with Australian basketball salaries.

Reply #784334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#301 hit the nail on the spot imo. Without a sustainable return, it's only natural that love will eventually burn out.

Reply #784335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

puts leagues in tough spots when you're trying to bring up youth through the ranks

Reply #784336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754