XY
Years ago

Markovic free to play in Europe

According to Ozhoops, FIBA have ruled in favour of Markovic. The Rozorbacks have sent out the following e-newsletter to fans...

----------------

FIBA RULES AGAINST PIGS

The West Sydney Razorbacks were advised today that the Federation Internationale de Basketball, the game's global governing body, did not recognise the club's agreement with Steven Markovic and that it would clear him to play for the BC Red Star club in Serbia.

Like many other players in the League, Markovic had signed with the Razorbacks for the 2005-06 season via an official NBL agreement called a Proposed Player Payment Form which sets out terms and remuneration and is signed by the club, the player and the player's agent.

The document was an interim agreement signed by NBL players with their clubs while a final standard contract was being negotiated between the Media Entertainment & Arts Alliance, the NBL Players' Association and the NBL.

The Proposed Player Payment Form was advised to the club as being a legally binding agreement committing the player to the club and the club to the player.

FIBA not recognising the agreement still leaves grounds for legal challenges says West Sydney Razorbacks' Chairman, Tony Looby, who also said the club would pursue the issue. "We, the NBL and Basketball Australia are absolutely stunned by the decision which fails to take into account a legally binding agreement under Australian Law," said Looby.

"We will be seeking appeals under the FIBA guidelines and looking at legal options in regards to breach of contract.

'I will be consulting with both Basketball Australia and NBL management re our Appeal options with FIBA, as the decision could have wider ramifications to the National Basketball League.

"We followed the NBL procedures for contracting a player to the letter and now those procedures have been found wanting by FIBA."

Looby said that Markovic's decision had proved costly for the club, "Steve walked out on the club just days before the season start leaving no realistic chance to adequately replace him with a point guard of an equal level - they had all been signed by other clubs. That decision by Markovic has no doubt cost us games and that can have serious financial implications on the club. As well as that we had heavily promoted Markovic as the key player of the season in all our marketing material."

Markovic had been due to sign the official NBL players contract on his return from Argentina in August where he had been playing for the Australian Young Men's team in the World Championships.

Looby pointed out that a precedent of a player being protected under Proposed Player Payment form already existed with one of the club's own players. Long-serving Simon Dwight, who was forced to retire with injury, was given a pay-out by the Razorbacks based solely on a Proposed Player Payment Form which he and the club had signed.

Topic #4667 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

Someone told me that Stve would be making around 360,000 USD playing for his club in Europe. I find that hard to swallow since most of the ellite players over there make half million and they are NBA calibure and Steve didnt even prove himself here.. Having a passport is so huge to make the big coin! I wish him luck..

I think that this league also needs more recognition from the world.. You often see players leave here that struggle and go to Europe and kill it. Yet this league is struggling to get fans and it is one of the best in the world and fun to watch!

Reply #54011 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

So what would you say David Anderson, who IS on over 1 million a year, is?

Markovic did not have a contract simple as that. He had a letter of intent and that is all, he intended to play for the pigs until a better deal came along.

When this all started the pigs were squealing that they had a binding contract, which they didn't.

Reply #54012 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Would not surprise me considering the big guy from Wollongong (had a mental blank on his name) signed a few years ago over there for over $400k US per season.

Reply #54014 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

David Anderson!!!

Reply #54015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Axel Dench?

Reply #54017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure it is that simple Kent. An agreement to make an agreement can be binding so long as the key terms are spelled out.

It would depend on what the Proposed Player Payment forms say.

Methinks the Pigs will get people to sign on the dotted line a little bit earlier next year though!

Reply #54019 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

My point exactly! David Anderson has NBA potential Markovich doesnt and I am sure that Anderson had to pay his dues and didnt get that great deal until he had proven himself. Now Anderson is the best or one of the best centers in the European league.

So you are telling me that Markovich is on 360,000 USD?

Reply #54021 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I wouldn't know what Steve is on, but it wouldn't be hard to find out. I'm just saying that there is a lot of money over there for players, especially with a European passport. I think Steve has a lot of potential and will be an exceptional player one day.
David hadn't really proven himself when he signed up over there, he had only played two season by memory. I heard that Steve had nominated himself for the NBA draft in the draft just gone to draw some attention to himself from overseas teams. He obviously showed a bit over in Argentina.

Reply #54023 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He also had a big game at the Treviso camp before getting injured. That would've helped his stock too as I think Treviso is considered one of the more known pre-NBA camps in Europe.

Reply #54025 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I wonder if the Pigs will revoke their payout to Dwight? Now that would be cruel!

Based on the FIBA ruling, they have some grounds. Whether or not Australian law would recognise the interim agreement as a binding contract is another story.

Anyway, if they tried to revoke payment, it would go against their position as to the Markovic situation, so it would be difficult to argue.

I was thinking about the Markovic thing today, as I hadn'd heard anything since the initial reports. This surprises me, but I have a feeling it's not over yet.

Reply #54028 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754