Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Hawks Jan 6

A must win game for the Sixers. They have been selflessly helping out Sydney by beating Perth and then losing to Sydney to let them stay in top spot, but their selfless acts has mean that by putting others in front of themselves has mean that they have slumped to 7th spot on the ladder.

A loss today will seem them be the first team to 12 losses in the "wolf pack" hunting for fourth spot.

Illawarra on the other hand are locked into the bottom of the table. Despite the big scalp of Sydney (the Hawks didn't get the memo..) wins have been few and far between for them, but on the road their two road wins have been against Cairns and of course Adelaide...when the Hawks were the grinch who stole Adelaide's Christmas on Dec 20.

In that game, the Hawks Sundays came at once with Dech top scoring for the Hawks and AJ ripping the Sixers a new one on the boards with a lucky 13 boards. No Ball that game and the rumour is he is back for the Hawks this game. I'm wondering if that will upset the Hawks rhythm as without him, a few players have stepped up. But so have a few Sixers players too, so this game will be competitive. My kiss of death goes to Big Harry who has been in a slump of late. If he steps up, then the Sixers will get this one.

For the Hawks, the players to watch are Blanchfield and Coenraad. When these Hawks play well so does the team.

Adelaide at home average nearly 100 ppg and the Hawks have let their opposition score more centuries that Marcus Labber-shane. I'm tipping the Sixers by 4

Topic #46670 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melo is not playing Jack. Rumour is he is travelling but think in will stay at home if he has a scan this week

Reply #784737 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Who knows? Tipping has gone to hell the last few weeks. Hawks have started to show some consistency, funnily without Ball. 36s only like to show up when they play Perth.
So I'm picking either team by 1 point after triple-overtime

Reply #784738 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This really is make or break for the Sixers tonight. Win to keep the finals hopes alive despite how unlikely but lose drop to 8th and with just 7 games to go in the season extremely unlikely then unless a good 4-5 game winning streak happens and to be honest no team that loses to the bottom team twice in a row on their own home court deserves to be in the playoffs.

Sixers by 8

I doubt LaMelo will play again this season.

Reply #784739 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks Anon, the rumour was pretty heavy, but there's nothing in the media about him being back definitely

Reply #784740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows, I get closer picking lotto numbers than nbl winners. Sixers last real chance and Illawarra are really bad, so Sixers by 13.

Reply #784743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide should win, they're that middle of the pack king. But I’d be happy for the hawks to finally out the 36ers our of their misery, they don’t deserve to be in the playoff conversation with how they’ve played this season and what they’ve put on the court.

Reply #784747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andersen is out again and AJ is a game time decision. The 36ers should win this one given the Hawks outs

Reply #784748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because that logic worked last time. Adelaide showed up for about 7 minutes that game.

Reply #784752 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Win is only option. Get some confidence. Rip the hawks. Sixers still good chance making finals. All teams that they can beat-good home run... sixers tend to respond to the dire straits scenario. They are very emotive group so no longer any casual attitudes - these are now.hard aggressive ball by te group. Anyone under estimate - Sixers match up very well. No way get out rebounded this game.DJ to feast. Griff unguardable. Game decided already.

Reply #784754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, do you take dot points of positive 36er sound bites, and simply put them altogether with minimal concern for grammar?

The 36ers haven't responded well to dire strait scenarios at all well. When have they of late?

Reply #784755 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Game decided already.

So how much did you bet on it?

Reply #784756 | Report this post

Sixers by 15.
Would love to be wrong.

Reply #784758 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Would love to be wrong.

Would you accept 16?

Reply #784759 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If we play like we did at the last game, where Kyei was our worst, Teys ordinary,
but are starters, Hawks will win.
Moore's numbers insufficient for an import.
I'd start Griffin.
If we play like we did against Perth, we will win.
Of the decade just gone DJ is the NBLs top scorer and rebounder

Reply #784800 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Of the decade just gone DJ is the NBLs top scorer and rebounder

Not having a go at you Camel but how many championships has DJ won in that time? Zero.

That's always been the problem with DJ his stats and numbers always have to come first before team success. If he doesn't feel like he's getting the ball enough he sulks drops his head stops rebounding and becomes a complete sieve on defence.

The sooner we start bringing DJ off the bench or benching him when he just watches his man step around him and laying it up the better off we will be.

Reply #784807 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if Lamelo plays again, as they still have two games left against Sydney, with the Hawks final game of the season against the Kings in Sydney and use it to keep promoting his brand.

Reply #784817 | Report this post

Chugger  
Years ago

One thing is for certain, Randle to get his stats!

Reply #784821 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

B Teys could be Sixers MVP through his consistent season.had really stepped up. Expect big game tonight... he creates makes other around so much better. Unselfish. Almost litmus test of Sixers. Really taken game to another this year. Maybe solo capt.

Reply #784831 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My man. Opens scoring with big 3. Teys teys teys

Reply #784832 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

BT doing it all... very smart player

Reply #784833 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So no Lamelo then? bugger!

Reply #784835 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

Great great offensive pace
this is the basketball we like to see

Reply #784836 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

I feel like we could benefit from playing defence in addition to offence.

Reply #784839 | Report this post

Tdub  
Years ago

Of course he's unguardable if Griff spends the game on the bench

Reply #784841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic smiled! I haven't seen the replay but I reckon did..

Reply #784845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech is a gun.

Reply #784846 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not sure whether Illawarra are good or Adelaide being that bad. Nevertheless a tightly contested and entertaining game so far.

Reply #784847 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Dech has improved his ability to contribute on offense a lot this season. I wasn't very high on him or his promotion to the starting lineup, but he's proven me wrong.

Reply #784848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great experience for the young NBL 1 guys but clearly out of there depth against the powerhouse 36's.

Reply #784849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder why he left Perth, Dech could have backed up cotton this season.

Reply #784851 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

ugly 4th so far
no gas left in the tank

Reply #784852 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

ugly 4th so far
no gas left in the tank

Reply #784853 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Pass the bloody ball

Reply #784855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're not going to check that 2/3 are they?

Reply #784856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check the bloody clock though

Reply #784857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be freaking amazed if Ball plays again, meaningless games and he does a knee and instead of potential top pick he slides. Great to see he's hung around and his donation to fire disaster was terrific, but he's done. Hampton a different situation, hadn't done his stock any harm pre injury but if he finishes off season could see him improve a few spots.

Reply #784858 | Report this post

Jack Toft fan  
Years ago

Stupid ref with the call its should be a fcking 2

Reply #784859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big win! lets celebrate against bottom of the ladder b team at home....

Reply #784860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told I was crazy when I called Lamelo was done straight away. Seems more and more people are now just assuming that's the case.

Reply #784861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide did what had to do to get win, mistake ridden game. Drimic very good, Johnson good. Dech and Blanchfield very good though I'd like to see Blanchfield play some defence. Still not sold on a lot of the Illawarra youth.

Reply #784862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#851, so Dech could play for the love of the game and back up Cotton (and Norton, and Damo's corpse), or go to a team where he had a chance to make the starting lineup and contribute more. Hmmm...

Reply #784866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone missed 3 layups/ tip ins in a row at critical times down the stretch and IMO that was probably the difference between the W or the Loss.

Reply #784867 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I was told I was crazy when I called Lamelo was done straight away. Seems more and more people are now just assuming that's the case
He's still on the sidelines in a moon boot, so the "it's a fake injury so he can go home" angle is pretty clearly bullshit at this point. If anything, it's worse than they're letting on.

Reply #784870 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Boone missed 3 layups/ tip ins in a row at critical times down the stretch and IMO that was probably the difference between the W or the Loss.

An NBA vet let down the NBL1 kids - they deserve better.

Reply #784873 | Report this post

Boone is cooked my brother has been trying to tell you all season.

Reply #784874 | Report this post

Fo shiz. Boone makes Dario look like super Mario!

Reply #784875 | Report this post

Fuck yeahhh .
#perthworldbrothers.

We look dumb but know our hoops.

Reply #784878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok koberulz. You're slipping.

Reply #784882 | Report this post

Do the NBL still have a citizen award for community work or fundraising?
Asking for a friend.

Reply #784885 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great win Sixers. Back in the hunt. Take down United- they are very flaky. Every chance we can. Confidence restored to key players Drmic DJ. Randle gets his always. Froling couple big shots so on the upward trend. Home court worth plenty.

Reply #784897 | Report this post

Yeah great NARROW win over 9th team.
Defence.

Reply #784900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobson brings nothing to this Hawks team. Can't shoot, plays no defence, doesn’t rebound & body language is poor.

Reply #784906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide didn't look all that convincing, once again. You can only beat who is infront of you, but let’s not forget how bad that Hawks team was. If the 36ers played with their grit, they’d be a good team. Like usual, middle of the pack teams, beat middle of the pack teams, but can’t see United faltering against that 36er team.

Moore really needed to be upgraded I think.

Reply #784921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if Kyei is worth persisting with in the starting line-up. He doesn't have enough weapons yet to be more than a solid bench energy guy. If Wright wants to continue to bench Griffin, it may be time for a Froling put up or shut up starting role.

Reply #784931 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's in there to play defence, set screens and rebound, it's got nothing to do with him having weapons, the starters' offence revolves around Randle and Johnson with Drmic as the third wheel.

Johnson has improved defensively but he's not great and the Sixers don't want him in foul trouble. Griffin is one of the worst ball-screen defenders I've ever seen and his rotations aren't much better. He's decent one-on-one, but poor in a team setting.

That, combined with the fact Griffin then gets more shots coming in with the bench, is why Kyei is starting.

Reply #784936 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Spose Kyei aint a bad player, but it's the worst shooting I seen anybody do.

Reply #784937 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He does need to work on that pretty hard in the off-season!

Reply #784940 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Replacing Griffin with a defensive big and Moore with someone better + retaining the rest of the contingent isn't going to get the 36ers into the playoffs next year.

Unfortunately 36ers are tied to a few contracts that we'd rather they shred, and don't have the money to obtain another marquee Aussie.

Would absolutely love if they pulled in Motum again.

C Motum/Defensive Big Import
F Johnson/Kyei
F Drmic/Quality backup SF
G Shooting Import/Teys
G Randle/White

Reply #784941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though he's playing out of position, Dech is very serviceable at the 1. and can guard the league's elite guards.

Needs to stick the tree more consistency, but it appears moving to the Hawks this season is paying great dividends for his stock.

Wonder he will end up after next season if he keeps improving like this.

Reply #784946 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Griffin looked unguardable last night

Reply #784953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin had 15 in 28 minutes off 9 shots. Any unguardable player should be taking more than 9 shots. Still not sure what tactic Joey was aiming for with that statement.

Reply #784991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of Dech passing is great, he's more of a chance sticking in the point guard position, it’s his way forward. While Naar has a few stings to his bow there are some glaring weaknesses, shooting and defensively.

Reply #784992 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754