Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats sign Miles Plumlee

per NBL

Topic #46684 | Report this topic

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

Hey was just let go from the Chinese Team that signed Corey Webster. Good role player and will block the lanes nicely!

Reply #785169 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So Webster has made two NBL teams better at the same time. What a talent.

Reply #785171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absoloutely massive signing. Instant title favourites.

Reply #785173 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

Yeah I know!

Reply #785174 | Report this post

Huge signing.
Didn't think Perth would make the change but glad they did.

Reply #785175 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Need to contact LK to find out why we had to cut Hunt...surely Plumlee qualifies as a next star LOL.

Great signing Wildcats. hopefully he'll play well stick around a few seasons.

Reply #785178 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

It's very unusual for Troy G to pull the trigger mid-season! He really does hate LK and wants back to back championships!

Reply #785179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same agent as Joe Ingles and Stendli

Reply #785181 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Never trust Cotton's recruiting judgement ever again.

In Trevor we trust.

Reply #785183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin / Norton / Britt(DP)
Cotton / Buluk / Travers(DP) / Reath(DP)
White / Steindl / Pozoglou(DP)
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
Plumlee / Majok

Reply #785184 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

Thanks Wilbur! haha

I am a legend at the club!

Reply #785185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, good signing, so that put's them more shitloads over the cap!!

Reply #785186 | Report this post

ahmed  
Years ago

Great signing. The Nbl needs more quality white imports. Perth just about title favourites again.

Reply #785187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many games does he need to be eligible for playoffs? 7?

Will be playing this week if that's the case

Reply #785188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Nbl needs more quality white imports."

What?

Reply #785189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he seems reasonably athletic for a ..... umm .... for a Duke player

Reply #785190 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Yep, Email says hes playing Friday vs Hawks

Reply #785191 | Report this post

ahmed  
Years ago

Singler, Braun and now Plumlee. Good crop of white imports in the league today.

Reply #785192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love seeing real bigman not a SF or PF playing centre

Reply #785193 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Plumlee has to get a better average than 8.6pts and 6 rebounds a game to be considered a success, otherwise it's egg on faces with Plumlee sauce.

Reply #785194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Plumlee has to help us finish on top and win the title to be considered success. The bar is higher than his personal stats.

Reply #785195 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

He needs to play 25%, ie all remaining 7 games.
So he will "play" even if injured for all 7. Not sure if he even has to take the court, or simply be listed on the scorecard??

I couldn't find any Chinese stats, but the guy had a decent career in the NBA, so must be decent. 31, so a couple of years left in the tank. Not sure if he's still carrying that knee injury?

He's a 211cm PF, so that bodes well. Should be more than capable of holding down the centre role in the NBL. Should really add to our defence also.

I don't think anyone would argue with the need for a change, but pleasantly surprised they actually made the call.

Feel Bad for Hunt. I think with a bit more time he might have adjusted better. I think 3~4 years ago he would have been a good fit for the NBL, but the league has moved on.

Unfortunately Plumlee is a 54% F/T shooter, so that part of his game is not an improvement.

Reply #785196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has Bogut got any history with Miles

Reply #785197 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

"The Nbl needs more quality white imports."

WTF!

Who cares what skin colour he is!

Reply #785198 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

His Chinese stats aren't amazing his first game he had about 20 points (highest while in china) but they fell (as well as minutes) each game there after- they signed Dez Wells at the same time and he took majority of the shots.

Reply #785199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should make top 4 now.. Maybe even make it out of the first round of the playoffs, depending on matchups.

Reply #785201 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So he will "play" even if injured for all 7. Not sure if he even has to take the court, or simply be listed on the scorecard??

I'm pretty sure the rule used to be a hard and fast they have to play in at least 7 games to qualify for the playoff roster but I think in recent years the NBL have relaxed the rule a bit to being on the bench with the team a minimum 7 games knowing sprained ankles and stuff can happen.

I couldn't find any Chinese stats, but the guy had a decent career in the NBA, so must be decent.

He was averaging 11 & 8 in China this season which for that league is pretty ordinary from an import but will likely fit in well at Perth. Unlikely to be a huge upgrade on Hunt's numbers but a likely upgrade.

Reply #785202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth should make top 4 now.." Man the idiots are getting worse here every day.

Reply #785203 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

GAME CHANGER!

Reply #785204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is his game by game, per RealGM

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Miles-Plumlee/GameLogs/3654/International

He will come in and anchor defensively. It won't be about numbers with Perth, it will be about becoming an imposing force and disrupting the opposition.

Reply #785205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Perth are on a two game losing streak, going down to teams who are not even in the playoffs. Not really what you would call a lock when so many are knocking at the door. So yeah, this does solidify them for making the four, whether you like it or not. Drop another couple and they would be overtaken by the likes of Cairns or NZ

Reply #785207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't buy premierships , lmao.

Reply #785208 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good signing. He had a similar career to Josh Boone in the NBA production wise, albeit over a longer period of time, and comes to Australia at a similar age t Boone when he first arrived.

Reply #785209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee is still getting $12million from Memphis this season. Maybe the Wildcats got him cheap

Reply #785213 | Report this post

Shiz is lit. We goin all the way

Reply #785214 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Good times.

Reply #785220 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This is huge- what the Wildcats need, what I've been saying all year.

At this late stage, surprised it happened though.

He played 18 games in NBA last year and 7 games in China this year- what else has he been doing over the past 2 years? Injuries?

Reply #785222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm interested to see how Sydney responds. Jamal Crawford? Ryan Anderson? J.R. Smith?

Reply #785224 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

A guy who could not cut it in the Chinese league...Massive signing...not

Will not do or be better than Hunt... Strange move considering they did not even give Hunt any real opportunity, on the few occasions they did, he was a good player.

Reply #785225 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

All you doomsday merchants aren't doing very well hiding your saltiness.

Reply #785227 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Always happy to see a Duke boy on the court

Reply #785229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"what else has he been doing over the past 2 years?"

Your mum.

Reply #785233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless other teams make moves, cats should win it all now. He will fit in perfectly, he's a pro.

Disappointed in the 36ers, they were never good enough as constructed, and yet never had the balls to make a move. Ramone Moore should’ve been seen as the odd man out. United have had a tough run, Prather fully fit would’ve made a huge difference for them. Sydney if they get healthy, will be the closest to cats now.

Reply #785246 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It usually takes import bigs about a third of the season to learn how the NBL officiates (ie. you will be called for a blocking foul unless you curl up into the fetal position when a guy drives towards you), so it's risky, but should be up to speed by the time the semis start. Should be solid, I'm not convinced he'll be dominant but he doesn't need to be.

Reply #785247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White players are smarter, just a shame they're not as good at any other aspect. I hate Dookies though.

Reply #785248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please don't troll with racist based jokes.

Reply #785250 | Report this post

Racist trolls should be banned.

Reply #785252 | Report this post

Salty spelt with an "A".
I think he is a massive upgrade on Hunt.

Reply #785253 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Strange move considering they did not even give Hunt any real opportunity, on the few occasions they did, he was a good player.

I take it that you have watched zero Wildcats game so far this season?

Reply #785255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcOBgeoZHbQ

One year ago kids. This guy will eat Longs lunch everyday.

Reply #785257 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It looks a bit strange, considering how his performance dropped away in China. But I assume this is another case (like Cotton) where Trev has been keeping tabs on somebody and so paid attention when he was cut from the Chinese League.

But have to wait and see.

Could be interesting, he may in fact play limited minutes if still nursing an injury.

I have no real basis on which to evaluate his recent performance, but at rough guess, I don't expect him to be a substantially better player than Hunt, I just think he will be a better fit.

With Jook playing well, we now have two good options, depending on match-ups.

Also, and maybe he knew he was on the way out, but Hunt's defensive intensity has been lacking. Even if Plumlee's stats are no better, hopefully he can do a lot more on the defensive end.

Perhaps most importantly, this has the potential to take a lot of pressure off Kay, and allow him to get back to his natural game.

Reply #785258 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is a risky move, on reputation it seems a positive move but we don't know whether Plumlee will be a defensive anchor as expected. I don't think this will move the needle significantly, it should be a slight upgrade, but not one that moves Perth to clear favourites.

Full strength Kings will beat full strength United or Wildcats.

Reply #785259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth, Melbourne, Sydney in money spent now, if SEM upgrade they'll beat Sydney as well.

Reply #785262 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I'm pretty sure the rule used to be a hard and fast they have to play in at least 7 games to qualify for the playoff roster but I think in recent years the NBL have relaxed the rule a bit to being on the bench with the team a minimum 7 games knowing sprained ankles and stuff can happen."

Even if "play" means actual time on court, its not hard to sub him on and off.
Also, I don't know about the NBL, but I know in other leagues players have been given injury waivers. Anyway, I'm sure they will have read up on the rules and know exactly what they have to do.

Reply #785264 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Plumlee is still getting $12million from Memphis this season. Maybe the Wildcats got him cheap"

Yeah, crazy isn't it. And that's $12.4M USD!
They take on a player they don't want, and have to pay $12.4M, just so they can trade out somebody else. How much was Parsons on for that to be a great deal??

Reply #785266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people flourish in different leagues, just because he didn't get major playingbtime somewhere else doesn’t mean he’ll be bad here.
I think he’s a good fit at earth, eager to see him play.

Reply #785267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At perth'

Reply #785268 | Report this post

From memory he wasn't too bad as a rim-rolling and rim protecting big, and good on the o boards, mind you this is probably going back 6 seasons, and he injury free at the time. Can he at least play the Angus Brandt role? The tough question will be how he adjusts to the NBL officiating as that usually takes some time to adjust for bigs. I don't think they're asking for too much offensively from him.

Reply #785272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he's fit, of course he’ll be able to play Brandt’s role from last year, and more. He’s a lot more athletic and skilled than Brandt ever was. That’s not a dig, he’s just more talented

Reply #785276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be a very good fit for cats, the Chinese league is just for flat out scorers from their imports, Plumlee has a good all round game. Imo Perth were favourites before now even more so.

Reply #785278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be a very good fit for cats, the Chinese league is just for flat out scorers from their imports, Plumlee has a good all round game. Imo Perth were favourites before now even more so.

Reply #785279 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

How can they be favourites?

They are amongst the favourites of course but their form is inconsistent and Damien Martian is injured.

Reply #785280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks good but
Will he foul out first game?

Reply #785281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were favorites against Adelaide and Brisbane too, but we all know what happened there.

Reply #785282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DAE have an opinion on how he will adjust to the refereeing?

Reply #785283 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My guess is quickly.
NBL refs love nothing more than showing import bigs who is boss, but I think he'll adjust fine.

Reply #785287 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[How can they be favourites?]

I've been saying Perth is only 3rd favorite

United had a clear advantage over Perth with Long. Although Perth had beaten United 2 out of 3, United clearly were the better team across the 3 games- especially factoring in injuries (Game 1) and jet lag (Game 2)

But If Plumlee is in good shape, this makes them basically equal favs alongside Sydney. Sydney very slightly ahead, only because they should retain the minor premiership and home court

This is a guy who started 35 NBA games 2 years ago. He's 31, not 38. If he's fit, is a big upgrade on Hunt. Substantially improves Perth's chances- IF he's not carrying any injuries that will significantly slow him. That's the main question mark here. In terms of fit, Should be fine. Gleeson knows what he's doing

Reply #785289 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

On form, United would be fourth favourite as their consistency has been poor, particularly on defence. I think they are 2-7 against Cairns, Sydney and Perth, which shows the work they need to do to be a genuine title threat.

Reply #785290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The premiership goes through Perth, has done for season, Cotton, White, Plumlee, Kay, add in flopstaff, Steindl, Martin,Norton, Majook and it's daunting for all teams. I just hope they pay the taxes.

Reply #785293 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[they are 2-7 against Cairns, Sydney and Perth]

They're 1-2 against their likely semi final opponents in Perth

Until today, I was quietly confident they had something over Perth, since they've clearly been the better team over those 3 matchups and have since added Kidd.

No longer the case though. Todays news is a game changer. Perth have upgraded their weak link, probably.

Reply #785294 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Gleeson probably suspected this Perth team wasn't a genuine threat to Sydney and as this great Perth reign has shown signs last season and this season that it's coming to an end felt they needed to upgrade on Hunt.

Sydney still deserve to be favourites once Lisch, Louzada & Moller all return from injury but Perth are trying to go for broke here with the this signing in what might be their last season of contention.

Cairns as impressive as they've been are unlikely to be a serious contender they're too young and not seasoned enough and will probably get swept by Sydney or Perth and I think Melbourne are a step below Sydney & Perth and will have to drastically reshape their roster next season.

Reply #785297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United have been rubbish all season. Just winning a few games when someone gets hot

Reply #785298 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"They're 1-2 against their likely semi final opponents in Perth. Until today, I was quietly confident they had something over Perth, since they've clearly been the better team over those 3 matchups and have since added Kidd."

When 1-2 is what you're clinging to you know you're struggling! They've been destroyed in the possession game by Perth twice, so on that front alone - ignoring the obvious reason as you choose to - they can't have clearly been the better team. If they can't fix that they won't win a series.

There is potential for Melbourne, but Vickerman knows they're a step behind at this point and 2-7 against the other top four teams tells the story clearly.

Reply #785302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth won both of those games against Melbourne with big shots in the dying seconds, which we all know counts for more so that means Perth is the better team.

Reply #785307 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Realistically, it has been "Sydney or Perth", or "Perth or Sydney" for a while now, with a strong chance of Cairns upsetting a SF and/or MU getting their shit together.

This COULD be a massive game-changer.

If The Sydney Swingers get their whole squad back, they will have superb depth. BUT, you can only play 5 at a time, and when Bogut is off, their frontcourt is weak.

If Perth get Martin back healthy, and Plums fulfils his potential, and it all clicks, they will make a serious run at the GF.

Reply #785313 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United is about +20 across 3 matchups against Perth this season (2 of which were in Perth). +10 overall and that includes junk time in Game 3, after United had it wrapped up.

United was leading for most of Games 1 and 2 but somehow lost both.

Game 1, United was missing literally almost half their team (Goulding, Barlow, and a 3rd import would, in usual circumstances, play at least 80 of 200 available minutes. McDaniel missed too). Game 2 was played on a Sunday in Melbourne after United played in Sacramento on Thursday.

United has two main areas to work on- defense, and finishing games. With 7 weeks left to playoffs and hopefully a healthy roster for an extended period for the first time all season (something that other teams like Perth, Cairns, Brisbane, Adelaide have enjoyed already), there's still plenty of time.

The only team United should truly fear is the only team who's beaten them by more than 7 points this season- Sydney.

Reply #785314 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"United is about +20 across 3 matchups against Perth this season"

That was meant to say +20 in meaningful minutes

United was leading by 20+ last time, but only won by 13 after Perth made some ground in junk time.

I was feeling good about this likely semi final, but my confidence has been reduced by the inclusion of Plumlee. Time will tell though.

Reply #785315 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[United have been rubbish all season. Just winning a few games when someone gets hot]

You could say that about many winning basketball teams.

The Chicago Bulls were much the same in the 90's, they just won a few titles when Jordan got hot.

Reply #785317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV United don't have Jordan. They’ve well and truly underachieved

Reply #785320 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United hasn't been able to close games- they're 4-7 in games decided by 7 points or less. 7-2 in all other games.

This could be an issue in the playoffs. Trimble doesn't seem a great closer- he's still a kid, so perhaps not surprising.

We should withhold judgment until United's had a few weeks with a settled lineup- something they haven't enjoyed yet at any stage this season. Funnily enough, other teams in that boat- eg: NZ, Illawarra- have also underachieved according to pre-season expectations. Is that surprising?

Reply #785322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"LV United don't have Jordan. They've well and truly underachieved "

Wow yeah because that is exactly what he said. Way to make LV look smart. Like him or hate him, what he has been saying is accurate, and he has been giving Perth respect. Shame people don't have the same decency and, for whatever reason, are arrogant despite their team being as inconsistent as Melbourne. Two losses to Adelaide, multiple losses to Cairns, losses to Brisbane and some real stinkers and still the arrogance surfaces.

Reply #785323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble had no issues closing against Melbourne last year, which ultimately and ironically gifted Perth first place and the championship banner.

Reply #785324 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Funnily enough, other teams in that boat- eg: NZ, Illawarra- have also underachieved according to pre-season expectations. Is that surprising?]

This is off topic but a point worth elaborating on

Teams who have had relatively settled rosters this season and/or few injury issues

Perth- on par with expectation
Cairns- exceeded expectations
SEM*- on par
Brisbane- on par
Adelaide - on par

5 teams - 1 exceeded expectations, 4 on par

Teams who have had significant injuries, and/or constant roster changes

Sydney- On par with pre season expectations (Were way above but after slipping to 14-6 we can't say that anymore)
United- Below expectations
NZ- Below expectations (my expectations anyway- based on their first few games of the season)
Illawarra - Below expectations

4 teams - 1 on par, 3 below expectations

* although Wesley missed a lot of games, Crockett was a decent replacement and they've otherwise been quite settled

Obviously this is all quite subjective but it just shows quite clearly what everyone knows - injuries and line-up consistently is important

Reply #785325 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I guess Sydney at 14-6 is still perhaps above expectations given most would've predicted they win 17-19 games

Doesn't change the overall point though, they're the only team out of 9 who bucks the trend

(eg: There's no team with a settled lineup who are below expectations, and no other team with injuries who have exceeded expectations).

Reply #785326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United don't attack well as a team, but have individual talent that shines irregularly. They can’t defend. That doesn’t bode well for winning a premiership. Sydney and Perth miles (pun intended) ahead of them!

Reply #785327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"United don't attack well as a team, but have individual talent that shines irregularly. They can't defend. That doesn’t bode well for winning a premiership. Sydney and Perth miles (pun intended) ahead of them!"

Just because you say doesn't make it so. Adelaide have picked Perth apart multiple times, as have Cairns. Brisbane had no problems beating them with only one dominant player. They are not the most feared team.

Reply #785328 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If I'd had to tip yesterday, I'd say MU don't make it out of the SF.
That has only strengthened.
But they have a good squad, and if they can get some consistency rolling and things start to click, they could easily upset that prediction.

As the saying goes, all roads to the championship run through Perth.

Reply #785330 | Report this post

Not feared but we know they always lift a gear for the playoffs.
I'm predicting 12ppg and 8.5reb for Plumlee ( that's probably being modest).

Reply #785331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee's impact will not be measured by stats, and that is coming from a non-Perth supporter. He WILL have an impact. That said, this championship is still Sydney's to lose. They have the most balanced team. They have the league's best guard. They have shooters to spread the floor. And they have two-way players who can have major effects on the outcome without demanding the ball. But Miles does make it more interesting, that is for sure.

Reply #785332 | Report this post

How many alleys per
Gonna be carnage

Reply #785333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you are something else. Rent free baby

Reply #785335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prove LV wrong, because no one has refuted a single thing he has said so far.

Reply #785338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The funny part is that LV makes these same arguments each year based on his dislike of Perth and some wishful thinking.

Reply #785339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Prove LV wrong "

He's giving his opinion that Perth won't win. He did the same last year. He was wrong.

Reply #785340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now you're stretching. Dislike of Perth. He said he was confident, and now Perth have replaced Hunt with Plumlee he is no longer confident. That's a dislike? If so, perhaps you need thicker skin?

Reply #785341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps you need to know LV.

Reply #785342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's giving his opinion that Perth won't win. He did the same last year. He was wrong. "

Have they won this season? Perth cannot even beat Adelaide, and you feel big enough to talk smack as though they already have the ring? And LV is the one with the problem? Simply wow.

Reply #785343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perhaps you need to know LV. "

A spade is a spade. A club is a club. I may not know LV, but you're the one looking like a fool right now, not him. Quit while you're behind and enjoy the next seven games, then what will be will be. If they win, great. If not, it was a move that had to be made. Perth are better today than they were yesterday, and LV even says such. You're too sensitive and you are reading and attacking what he has not even written.

Reply #785345 | Report this post

martin
cotton
white
kay
plumlee

ELITE

best 5 in the L

Reply #785346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By that logic, no one is the favourite this year as Sydney have been beaten by Illawarra and Melbourne lost to Brisbane and SEM.

Reply #785347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"By that logic, no one is the favourite this year as Sydney have been beaten by Illawarra and Melbourne lost to Brisbane and SEM. "

But Perth are not the favorites, Sydney still are! What point are you trying to make right now? No one has won anything yet, but you are acting like the trophy was already lifted today. I just checked the ladder, and despite the signing, Perth still are not first. Should we call LK in the morning to let him know, or do we still have to play in win the games? I'm confused now.

Reply #785348 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[
He's giving his opinion that Perth won't win. He did the same last year. He was wrong.]

Nice, nice.

I'm onto you. I see your angle.

You're trying to prove you haven't been reading a single thing I've said?

Let me spell it out for you

- Plumlee will *probably* make Perth much better if he's fit

- Perth are a better chance of winning the title than yesterday

- I'm no longer that confident United will beat them in the 2 vs 3 semi. Not too confident at all

For the record last year Perth was $6 for the title, pretty sure I encouraged hoops forum members to consider a bet because it was great value. I just couldn't bring myself to bet

Dislike is not the same as lack of respect

Pay more attention!

Reply #785351 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Read my first post above I said it was huge

Also said they're basically equal favorites now

Reply #785352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm confused now."

You sure are.

Reply #785353 | Report this post

Perth will make the grand final at the minimum.
Chances of winning have increased with Plumlee.

Reply #785354 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Can he pass? Was one of the least desirable players in the NBA for the past few years, never playing and always being trade filler. I hope he's a force as the league could always use more good players but he really hasn't gotten any playing time the last few years in the NBA.

Reply #785361 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Pickup more important for a semi final series imo. Perth always a chance in a 5 game series. 3 game series is live or die pretty dam quick.

Plumlee should slot in nicely with perths more structured system.no point looking at China stats as he was the type of player to feed off others, don't know anything about the team he was in but I'd guess Perth would be an improvement

Reply #785362 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I thought LV's McCarron report during the GF series was stupid.

Then came comparing United to Jordan's Bulls.

Reply #785364 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trimble had no issues closing against Melbourne last year, which ultimately and ironically gifted Perth first place and the championship banner.

Trimble is destroying them for a second season in a row, although this time it's an inside job. Classic.

Reply #785366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United outplayed perth in their 3rd game but that 1st game where they were injured they shot like 70% for 3/4 and over 60% or so for the gane. Perth had like a million more shots and just won. A couple off things, no starters were shooting the ball better, if perth converted at a reasonable clip, it was a huge blowout. So to suggest united was better across the first three may be a touch floored. Shawn long will have a harder time scoring now though, you would hope for perth fans

Reply #785368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble took Perth apart last time they met. I'm not sure Plumlee addresses that alone. Perth need to improve their perimeter defence at the point of attack

Reply #785369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which plumlee is it the one that was terrible at the world cup and part of the failing american team or the other one

Reply #785370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was Mason Plumlee

Reply #785372 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He'll have a high basketball IQ from his time at Duke & in the NBA and won’t be expected to come in and be a superstar, just fill a role at both ends. He should do this very well.

Hopefully he can adjust to the refereeing quickly and stay healthy.

Those expecting massive numbers will be disappointed, in his prime he never averaged double figure scoring (averaged 4.9 in 16.4mins in the NBA). As a comparison Shaun Long averaged 8.2 in 12.7 mins.

Reply #785376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaun Long didn't stick in the league because he is a turnstyle defensivly. If he had of played 300 games like Plumee you can bet his averages wouldn't have been anywhere as good.

Reply #785377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Out of interest, form against the top four:

Sydney 4-4
Perth 5-4
Melbourne 2-7
Cairns 6-2
New Zealand 1-7

This is off the top of head so hopefully correct!

Reply #785378 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

And the Bullets withh wins v Perth twice(?), Sydney and MelbU.

Reply #785379 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Definitely correct as far as United goes.

But, United has lost to Cairns by 5 ,7 and 2, and to Perth by 1 and 2.

Perth and Cairns have barely had an injury all season until Noi went down for Cairns.

Whereas United having Prather in and out constantly, Pledger missing 6 weeks, plus Ili, Barlow, Goulding all missing multiple games here and there. This is why that 2-7 record doesn't worry me- if United has a full roster with a settled 3rd import for the first time all year, that should make 5 or 10 points difference. The only team who’s really dominated United is Sydney. 2 out of 3 comfortable wins, and the one game United won they were lucky with Weaver’s ejection, Taylor fresh off the plane and Didi injured at half time.

NZ in a similar boat- they lost some close ones early, when they had major injury issues.

Reply #785380 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Plumlee is an upgrade for the wildcats.

comparing him to Long is a joke, both are different styles of players with Plumlee sticking in the league because he plays D and fits within team concepts.

Long is all offence and his O isn't good enough to stick in the NBA when he can't play D within Team concepts or systems let alone as on the ball.

Reply #785381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wildcats have only had their full roster for maybe 2 games this season

Reply #785382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding missed multiple games? That's news to me

Reply #785384 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

He may have missed the Perth game and the NBL vs NBA games.

Perhaps only 1 regular season NBL game.

Reply #785385 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"- I'm no longer that confident United will beat them in the 2 vs 3 semi. Not too confident at all"

You're assuming United finish 2nd or 3rd, just as likely to finish 4th and get romped by the Kings.

"Perth and Cairns have barely had an injury all season until Noi went down for Cairns"

Damo is arguably one of the single most important players to any team in the NBL, and it has shown in the last few weeks.

"Those expecting massive numbers will be disappointed, in his prime he never averaged double figure scoring (averaged 4.9 in 16.4mins in the NBA). As a comparison Shaun Long averaged 8.2 in 12.7 mins."

Wildcats have a history of using their bigs, in the NBA Miles was not even 2nd, 3rd or 4th option on any team, he now will play big parts of the game as the #1 option when we need it. I'm not expecting massive numbers, but I'd bet he averages a double double with a few blocks per game.

Reply #785387 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You're assuming United finish 2nd or 3rd, just as likely to finish 4th]

United's been in 3rd position for at least the last month and will probably stay there.

["Perth and Cairns have barely had an injury all season until Noi went down for Cairns"

Damo is arguably one of the single most important players to any team in the NBL,]

Yeah, and he's missed the last 2 games.

As I was saying, Perth and Cairns barely had an injury all year until Noi went down for Cairns....

Perth has - along with Cairns, Brisbane and Adelaide - had a very smooth run.

Reply #785388 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Those 2 games were vital and we lost both, similar to losing every time Damo's gotten injured in the past, it could've been the difference between finishing 1st and 2nd, barely any injuries yes, but this one hurt as much as any.

Reply #785389 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Prather played 7 games in two different groups with another injury in between. In those 7 games, he was on his way back to full health (which never eventuated), coming off the bench and playing 18 minutes a game. How much difference do you think it would've made if United had a healthy Prather all year?

Look at NZ with Hopson over the past few weeks- how much difference would it have made if he was healthy all year?

How many games has Perth won against NZ and United this season, when Prather and Hopson were missing?

If Perth had comparable injuries they’d probably be 4th on the ladder right now, at best.

Reply #785390 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wildcats have a history of using their bigs, in the NBA Miles was not even 2nd, 3rd or 4th option on any team, he now will play big parts of the game as the #1 option when we need it.

This prediction is based on what? It seems unlikely to me.

I'm not expecting massive numbers, but I'd bet he averages a double double with a few blocks per game.

For reference, no one is averaging a double double atm, and no one is averaging even 2 blocks per game. I mean I hope you're right, but I feel like you're setting yourself up for disappointment with these expectations.

Reply #785391 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Plumlee will bring presence, toughness

Much of the difference won't be directly measurable

No Wildcat 5 man has been a big time scorer in recent years. They don't need to be.

Reply #785394 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Plumlee averages almost identical numbers to Hunt say 8 & 6 I wouldn't expect more than that out of him.

His value vs Hunt will be he's taller, longer, more athletic and his name and reputation alone will alter some shots and have guys second guessing going into the lane.

Reply #785395 | Report this post

12ppg. 8.5reb. and more of a defensive presence is my prediction.
Better length too will block and alter more shots.

Reply #785396 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hard to guess without knowing his fitness levels

But I wouldn't be surprised if, by playoff time, he's getting 10-12ppg, 8 or 9 rebounds.

His size is a factor- Cats frontcourt was, until now, pretty small. Lacked the same presence they've had in prior years with the likes of Jawai, Brandt, Jervis

Reply #785397 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

We'll get a decent idea of what he brings on Friday, I don't seem him as having trouble with foul calls like some imports as he doesn't seem overly reckless in defence.

Reply #785400 | Report this post

Will be eased in on Friday v Illawarra you would think.
Having 5 of the remaining games at home will help him settle with the team and get regular training.

Reply #785401 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Watched a fair bit of his NBA highlights now and he will get into foul trouble here, no way will our refs let him shot block like he did back in the USA.

Reply #785408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlees partner is a Aussie, Next Boomer

Reply #785410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 6'11 and a big time athlete. Would not surprise me if by the time playoffs come around that the Wildcats have a player in the mould of Shawn Long.

Defend the paint and get buckets in close proximity to the basket. He will be every chance to clock 15 points and 10 boards every game. In a team that already boasts Cotton, White and Kay, that's pretty handy.

Reply #785411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long is a scorer. Plumlee does not seem to be one from what I have seen.

Reply #785418 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Josh Boone has been a decent scorer in the NBL, but isn't really a "scorer" as such. He’s fairly limited offensively but still managed 15ppg or so over the past 3 years.

Reply #785425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully he doesn't become a Long at the defensive end of the court.

Reply #785428 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Eased in...

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/plumlee-to-debut-on-friday-night

At least he came over from China which is the same time zone as WA I'm pretty sure. No jet lag.

Reply #785438 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hard to tell uch from highlights, except that he likes to dunk.

Reply #785440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I loved the interview with Gleeson during the Perth 36ers game. The reporter asks "what is it that makes the Wildcats so successful"? Gleeson replies “we just have a great culture and respect for each other”

And $2,000,000 more to spend annually on your roster you twat. Perth have amazing imports each year ( paying overs ) then recruit top local talent like Kay and Norton and think it's remarkable they’re in the finals each year.

Enjoy your WWE wannabe white boy Pussycats. I’ll be cheering for anyone but you cheats

Reply #785441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Enjoy your WWE wannabe white boy Pussycats. I'll be cheering for anyone but you cheats"

oh thats so mean...

Reply #785442 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

^Kings supporter.

Reply #785443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather hasn't had a clean run without injuries for 3 years.

Reply #785446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent late-season pickup, and they finally got Brandt's replacement (obviously different types of players, more so the fit with Plumlee is what they've been missing with Angus gone).

Great athlete, bouncy as hell, gets up and down the floor, won't demand the ball but when he gets it can finish strong around the rim. Rebounds and defends and has good smarts. Like Boone he's going to be a tough matchup for Bogut and that spells problems for the Kings. The only question is how quickly they can integrate him into the lineup in the short space of time, but he's experienced and Gleeson knows what he's doing so you'd expect they've been thinking about this for a while now. Championship still goes through Perth IMO (and I'm not a Cats fan).

Reply #785447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not even a good troll.

Suffer in your jocks anon. Not only do we spend above the cap, and sign great local talent... we also get free old white guy OKBoomer polos for free.

Reply #785448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats are second on the ladder. Clearly that's below their usual standard so I can understand why they'd want to make a change.

Reply #785463 | Report this post

they h8 us cause they aint us

Reply #785471 | Report this post

Others teams could've upgraded.
Perth broke no rules.

Reply #785479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus he's white. Plebs not even going to know he’s an import. I loved when 36ers were playing Randle, Dillon, Moore, Griffin, and Kyei and some idiot asked how Adelaide could play 5 Americans!

Reply #785486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that didn't happen. Why do people exaggerate everything?

Reply #785490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hard not to b slightly envious of Perth's budget, but I also have a lot of respect for what they have built. They have the biggest membership and biggest crowds in the NBL. Much bigger than Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne. And they have built that despite strong competition from the AFL, BBL, and A-League.
Just like Adelaide, they punch well above their weight.
Plus the fact is they do have a good culture and loyal fans. Luv him or hate im, Wagstaff has been offered starting roles almost his whole career, and has stayed as part of the backbone of that Club. Redhage was a reject nobody wanted, playing for Bendigo.

Reply #785491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hard not to b slightly envious of Perth's budget, but I also have a lot of respect for what they have built. They have the biggest membership and biggest crowds in the NBL. Much bigger than Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne. And they have built that despite strong competition from the AFL, BBL, and A-League.
Just like Adelaide, they punch well above their weight.
Plus the fact is they do have a good culture and loyal fans. Luv him or hate im, Wagstaff has been offered starting roles almost his whole career, and has stayed as part of the backbone of that Club. Redhage was a reject nobody wanted, playing for Bendigo.

Reply #785492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#490 it certainly happened.

Reply #785493 | Report this post

Perth look after their players which is why they rarely leave the club.

Reply #785495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oops, don't know what happened there? Many here accused Perth of cheating during the Points Cap era, but all they did was exploit the loyalty provisions, which other teams couldn't because they couldn't hold onto their players. During that time when salaries were capped I believe that Martin and others turned down offers of more money to play elsewhere. Until recently I felt Adelaide and Perth had a lot in common. Losing Creek and Sobey has certainly shaken my faith in management.
Haters above accuse Perf of overpaying their imports. On what do you base that? Of the established mob of returning imports, Cotton is one of the best and is apparently getting around $500k. That's less than Ware, Trimble, and Long. White was the GF MVP, so I doubt he's being made more than hes worth. Plus Hunt was clearly not an expensive import. Yes I am jealous of their ability to swan out and buy a player like Plumlee.

Reply #785497 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If you look at their NBA stats over the past couple of seasons, it appears that Plumlee compares favourably to Bogut.
Not suggesting that their CAREERS bear any comparison, and Bogut is FOUR years older, but in terms of their impact, it could be similar.

Of course it all depends on fitness. Bogut has been playing on crook legs for years, and still earnt a recall to the NBA last year. That would possibly nullify his height advantage. Except Plumlee has had knee injuries too...

Reply #785502 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In DEN@DAL today Mason Plumlee was a defensive sub on in place of Jokic to contain Doncic from potentially winning the game. Result was Mavs not even getting a shot off with 10s left.

Reply #785504 | Report this post

i thought we got miles bro

Reply #785508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfworld, kinda like saying LiAngelo must be good cause Melo is good.

Reply #785509 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

United's been in 3rd position for at least the last month and will probably stay there.
They've now dropped out of third.

Reply #785532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton isn't a top Aussie talent

Reply #785544 | Report this post

Today's Denver/Dallas game has nothing to do with Miles Plumlee signing for Perth.

Reply #785554 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

So many racist comments!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #785555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miles is no where near as good as Mason, he's athletic but no where near as smart.

Hated him at Charlotte, he never was much of a shot blocker, but his size and athleticism should be interesting.

Reply #785559 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Corey Williams has said my team will win the championship. While we hope that is true, we still have alot of work to do.

Reply #785562 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #785576 | Report this post

On the Plumlee scale from Mason to Marshall, I'd rate him a Miles.

Reply #785637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Many here accused Perth of cheating during the Points Cap era, but all they did was exploit the loyalty provisions," Yes they did and those inane rules should never have been introduced. Equally the human intervention in the Points System should never have been allowed.

Reply #785739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points system was total bush league. Made the NBL seem like a game of 2k. "What's this player worth?" It was horrible, and it gave us a horribly decade with pretty much only Perth and NZ. No wonder they were lowest rating finals for TV - so predictable. People were switching off by mid-January.

Reply #785768 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The league still has a points system, it just uses assigned $ value instead of assigned points value. The difference now is there is no hard cap, you can go over it if you're willing to stump up the cash.

Reply #785771 | Report this post

The Plum will be better for the run today.
Give him a week of training and he will be right as rain.

Reply #785779 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Actually really liked what I saw, although part of that is just personal preference. Nice to see a big body defending the paint.

But the best thing was that he seemed to know his role and was already playing it.

With him and Jook, we have a couple of slightly different options, and once he gets settled, we should be able to get close to 40 minutes most nights.
Also means that Sydney will struggle every time they have to sit Bogut.

Reply #785900 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"United's been in 3rd position for at least the last month and will probably stay there."

This did not age well...

Reply #785963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would do the Wildcats expect Plumlee to be 20 10 player

Reply #785966 | Report this post

The Plum will heap lead us to the title.

Reply #785977 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

,[
This did not age well]

By stay, I should've said finish. The only spot that actually matters is where you finish.

Given UTD has a home game against Cairns and a better percentage, still a likely to finish 3rd

United surely won't continue this poor form forever

Reply #785982 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Given UTD has a home game against Cairns and a better percentage, still a likely to finish 3rd

United surely won't continue this poor form forever"

I feel like you're trying to jinx them...

Reply #785989 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Whatever black magic caused Barlow and Trimble to combine for 1-12 from mostly wide open threes tonight, is a stronger power than any of us mere mortals!

Reply #785996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next two weeks will decide United position on the table. Win both or even one and their back in it.

Reply #786005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Given UTD has a home game against Cairns and a better percentage, still a likely to finish 3rd"

They need to worry about the next few weeks, not one game after that.

Reply #786015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney sign Cooks- outrage by opposition supporters.

Perth sign Plumlee - great signing, not certain I see the difference.

Reply #786469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see the difference between a player addition and a player swap?
Should have gone to Specsavers

Reply #786470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both clubs sacked a player and brought in a new one, maybe take the blinkers off. Perth got form for this though, it wins championships, Cotton.

Reply #786475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth sacked a player who was underperforming. All clubs do this, but yes, the last time Perth did it they found a gem in Cotton and won a title (and another since).

Sydney, sitting on top of the ladder with an already stacked and expensive roster including four imports, brought in a Boomer just because they could, and told everyone how good their culture is.

Reply #786476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth brought in an nba player. There is no difference other than when Sydney do it it's cheating and when Perth do it that’s fantastic.

Sydney also let Kauny go who never got time so I’d say that was under performing.

Reply #786480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People questioned the salary implications of bringing Cooks in, not just replacing a player.

Reply #786481 | Report this post

Kuany was upgraded for a borderline Boomer.
Hunt for Plumlee is a straight import swap.

Reply #786508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People only whinged more about the Sydney one because it was a better move and whingers hate good moves unless it is their own team doing one.

Reply #786511 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Sydney sign Cooks- outrage by opposition supporters.
Perth sign Plumlee - great signing, not certain I see the difference."

If you don't understand the difference, Then stop posting and embarrassing yourself.

Reply #786532 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754