Ryan
Years ago

Are we sure Dean Vickerman is a good NBL head coach?

I understand Vick has won 2 titles, but is it his coaching ability or the stacked rosters he's been lucky enough to possess?

2013-14: Takes over the Breakers who are coming off 3 straight titles. Cedric Jackson leaves and the Breakers finish 7th

2014-15: Cedric Jackson returns, the Breakers win their 4th title in 5 years. It had already been proven this roster was championship caliber with Jackson

2015-16: Cedric Jackson leaves, the Breakers finish 4th. They make it to the grand final where they lose to Perth. Vickerman leaves the club to become an assistant in Sydney

2017-18: Vickerman takes a roster consisting of Ware, Goulding, healthy Prather, Tai Wesley, and Josh Boone in the starting lineup, and Barlow, Anderson, Adnam, and Majok on the bench to the title. They take on an Adelaide team in the grand final who loses their well past his prime import Josh Childress halfway through the series, and rely heavily on 2 sub-par imports Shannon Shorter and Raheem Moore. It takes United all 5 games to win. Vickerman insists on playing Peter Hooley (who looked uncomfortable dribbling the ball and is now doing commentary) over Kyle Adnam, who is one of the better back up PGs in the NBL.

2018-2019: Wesley and Prather leave, McCarron and Kennedy join. United lose in the grand final to a Perth team with only 2 imports and a 34 year old starting PG

2019-2020: United continue to under-perform. Vickerman insists on playing Smith-Milner 13 minutes a game, virtually the same amount as Jo Lual Acuil. Tohi is not NBL level at anything in particular, with his best skill being his floor spacing, where he is shooting the 3 ball at 26.7%. Per 36 minutes, he averages 6.0 rebounds. Angus Glover averages 5.7 over that same time frame. He averages more turnovers per 36 than assists. He has a negative 19.7 offensive rating, and a -25.9 net rating. Compare this to Jo who has a positive O-rating at 3.9, and net rating of negative 3.2.

On top of this, he almost always seems to stick to his pre-made substitution pattern rather than judge what's actually happening on the court. I can't count how many United runs this year have been ruined by taking out an active and energetic Illi and replacing him with Trimble, or taking out Goulding right when he begins heating up. He has a knack for inserting the legendary aforementioned Smith-Milner at the end of big United runs, killing all momentum.

Topic #46710 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

Doesn't look like it at the moment!

Man who was in the right place at the right time.

Reply #786232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I kinda tinkered with the idea but the makeup of this team just doesnt work despite the clear individual talent.

Trimble Goulding Ili and Barlow are not good perimeter defenders which puts a lot of pressure on rotations which they are not very disciplined and then puts foul pressure on Long. They are just never going to be good enough defensively to win IMO. They are 3rd in fouls as well which is another way that pressure is mounted.

Offensively they just dont know who to go to and what to exploit. That has a lot to do with Trimble but also a reflection on the coaching staff. Do they post Long, get Goulding off screens, pick n roll... all are great options but it seems like a 3 way tug of war at times with no clear direction.

I think some of it goes on the coaching staff but I dont think its enough to say he's not a good coach.

Reply #786233 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good thread. I've been wondering the same thing. Thanks for posting.

At a few points I’d disagree with some of your comments: eg: Hooley vs Adnam wasn’t a simple decision at the time. Adnam a much better scorer, Hooley a much better defender. Arguably a taller, big bodied defender is a better fit alongside CG43. Hooley proved his worth in Game 1 of the 2018 Grand Final. Sometimes these decisions are based on fit moreso than talent.

You’re a bit harsh on the substitution patterns- Vickerman seems to use whichever bigs he thinks are appropriate at the time. Without checking stats, I would’ve thought Acuil has played more time than TSM this year? Acuil way more talented, but also loose with the ball and foul prone. I’d play Acuil ahead of TSM in most situations, but I don’t agree TSM is useless- he was quite handy on the weekend for example.

United won in 2018 which is what they should’ve done with that roster. In 2019, it was very disappointing the way they lost the minor premiership and then capitulated in the GF (Notwithstanding The awesome semi final series in between). This year was going reasonably but the last 4 games have threatened to turn this into a train wreck. I’ll withhold judgment til season’s end.

Coaches have a broad role that encompasses:

- X’s and O’s and scouting
- Game night X’s and O’s and in game adjustments, being adaptable and reading situations
- Culture and Psychology: Communicating well. Cultivating and sustaining a positive team culture. Motivating players and ensuring they’re in the right head space and playing well at the right time of year
- Recruitment
- Player development- keeping an eye on the future

Right now, I’m questioning Vickerman’s recruiting- Trimble and Long both very talented. But, both share similar weaknesses: Poor defense, not leaders, possibly lacking mental toughness especially in Long’s case, not proven clutch players on successful professional teams. Was it a good idea recruiting two guys with those same issues?

Coaches should be judged not purely on how successful their teams are, but on how well their teams go *relative to the level of talent at their disposal*. On that basis, I don’t rate Vickerman any higher than many of the current and past NBL coaches who have less championships, or none at all- eg: Bevo, Wright, Fearne. Although I do think Vickerman is a better coach than all previous United coaches (Anstey, D-Mac, Demopoulos).

Reply #786234 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Gleeson out coached him in last years GF series

Reply #786235 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Right now, I'm questioning Vickerman’s recruiting- Trimble and Long both very talented. But, both share similar weaknesses"

Without hindsight, if at the start of the season you were offered the chance to sign both players are you saying you wouldn't have?

Reply #786236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Although I do think Vickerman is a better coach than all previous United coaches (Anstey, D-Mac, Demopoulos)."

Those three guys are probably 3 of the worst coaches in recent memory so it's not that hard to be better than them

Reply #786237 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I've been saying this for at least 2 seasons now, and you put the right words to my thoughts, LV.

His recruiting sucks in terms of its balance and roles, unless he has another JVG type of person doing the recruiting 'for him’ (Crivelli?)

I’d actually say that he does poorly in building a team culture - there were enough times over the last two seasons where it seemed that either his players weren’t following instructions or he’d just not got them on board in the first place. Too much hero ball, too much jacking up rushed 3-pointers, poor offensive rebounding, general confusion about roles after Wesley left, etc etc.

I’m glad to see that Acuil gets minutes but I think he’s likely to be the future of the team in a couple of years and could be blooded a bit faster.

Reply #786238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think many people had concerns about United's defense before the season started. And it has certainly been a major issue. The attack has been a huge disappointment - all year has been hero-ball and jacking up rubbish.
I can see the logic in recruiting Trimble, as he is still young so some improvement vs last season could be hoped for, but he has not improved defensively, and has gone backwards offensively (he can’t even shoot now!)

Reply #786239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Right now, I'm questioning Vickerman’s recruiting- Trimble and Long both very talented. But, both share similar weaknesses: Poor defense, not leaders, possibly lacking mental toughness especially in Long’s case, not proven clutch players on successful professional teams. Was it a good idea recruiting two guys with those same issues?"

So why have you been adamant all season that Melbourne are second favourites behind Sydney? You're realising this only now?

Reply #786240 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, not sure it's fair to lump their problems with "coaching" - whoever made the roster decisions demands the blame for this year. Melo and Trimble are both very poor returns on investment, and it should have been obvious that for all their flash they both had significant inadequacies on defense that were clear while playing for sub-par teams last season. A healthy Prather would add a few wins with his defense and ability to get to the basket making them less predictable on offense, but I don't think it would have addressed all their issues, and just signing him with his injury concerns was a risk in itself.

They have enough offensive talent that they are still a threat to win the title if they finish in the top 4, but in terms of the wins-to-money spent ratio it would be the worst in the league by far.

Reply #786243 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Vickerman has also lost the Aussie players.

Sided with the Imports in a recent bust up and so his days are numbered.

Reply #786245 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think you can blame Vickerman for this he's doing his best with the cards he's been dealt. There is no way a defensive minded coach like him demanded Long & Trimble be on the roster we all saw how good offensively but weak defensively they were on their respective teams.

Throwing the cheque book at Long & Trimble is the kind of thing a clueless GM does along with the batshit crazy decision to give a past import (Prather) a 2 year contract despite doing his knee the previous season and missing all of that season to injury.

Reply #786246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would you want to replace him?
Gaze ?
Although it looks like Brett Brown might become available in the next few years plus some Australian ex NBA players.

Reply #786247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GMs dont act alone without consulting the Coach. It would be silly if they didnt agree for the GM to go out on his own. Coach has to take some slack for that too.

Do tell more, Reality!

Reply #786248 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Gleeson out coached him in last years GF series]

I haven't gone back and re-watched any of that series - too depressing.

But, what adjustments did Gleeson make in Games 3 and 4 that caused Perth to dominate both games?

Was it coaching, or United players under performing- or Perth players stepping up?

United did struggle to score in that series. I think Perth exploited a weakness in United’s roster. After Wesley’s departure, United had a lack of low post players. The 2019 offense was all based on Vickerman’s typical sets. Pick and rolls, screens for Goulding, ball movements to open threes.

In 2018, there was a plan B -Wesley down low.

In 2020, we have plan B again- Long down low. This year’s team, at the moment, isn’t quite demonstrating the ability to make smart decisions within the offense. They’re scoring, but scoring through individual brilliance more often than smart team play. And of course they’re defensively deficient.

This does raise questions about Vickerman’s ability to put teams together though.

[Without hindsight, if at the start of the season you were offered the chance to sign both players are you saying you wouldn't have?]

I don’t watch every Cairns and NZ game. Vickerman is the guy who’s paid to make the right decisions.

Having now seen United this season, I would’ve signed Long but not Trimble. High scoring guards are common in the NBL, but it’s rarer having a big guy who can score like Long. Which in my mind makes Long more valuable.

Keeping Casper to shore up the perimeter D would’ve helped Long stay out of foul trouble too.

Of course, this is all dependent on range of factors- money, basketball fit, availability, cultural fit. We as fans can judge basketball fit and take good guesses at cultural fit, but have no idea about money (Hoops anons notwithstanding!).

[Those three guys are probably 3 of the worst coaches in recent memory so it's not that hard to be better than them]

Anstey wasn’t a terrible coach at all. 2013-14 was a good year for the Tigers, given the roster they had.

My guess is Anstey is an acquired taste and works with some people but not others. My guess is the 2014-15 team didn’t mesh with him personality wise, and D-Mac is a chilled character and was brought in with the task of managing that team with all it’s egos and diverse/difficult personalities.

[So why have you been adamant all season that Melbourne are second favourites behind Sydney? You're realising this only now?]

Until 2 weeks ago, there were some reasonable excuses. Prather would be one of the better defenders on the team, and has missed all year (7 games at under 100% fitness, playing 18 minutes a game). Pledger interior toughness was also missed. United were 10-7 after losing some close ones, and looked a good chance to get going with a healthy roster.

Kidd’s still only been in the country 2 weeks and is adjusting to the refs (hence why he played 5 minutes and 16 seconds on Saturday). There’s still 7 games till playoffs. Things can change quickly. I haven’t given up.

Reply #786249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then u also have to think, if not him in that job, who are u going to get that is better?

Reply #786250 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

OK, so five seasons as a head coach in the NBL for four grand final appearances and two titles. Has any other coach in NBL history done this well in their first five seasons? Brian Kerle maybe?

Reply #786253 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Long was the right move, best C in the NBL and Boone was fading fast. Burning bridges with Ware was the problem, as much as I hate his shit eating grin, he can ball on both ends of the court, makes smart decisions and can turn it on to win games at the end. As good as Trimble is he's still pretty far off being a leader and demander of the ball. Ware is probably the difference in Kings being top 2 and United being top 2 to be honest.

Reply #786255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But, what adjustments did Gleeson make in Games 3 and 4 that caused Perth to dominate both games?"

He forced McCarron into foul trouble.

Reply #786256 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[OK, so five seasons as a head coach in the NBL for four grand final appearances and two titles. Has any other coach in NBL history done this well in their first five seasons?]

Westover achieved the same in his first 4 seasons.

And 2 titles in his first 3 seasons.

Reply #786257 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

and Westover was NOT a good coach, sorry to say. (From having heard him coaching from up close.)

Reply #786259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Rayan

Prather was not healthy in there championship year. He played about 1/4 season. Moller started when he went down till the back up import arrived, Carrick Felix who was was very team oriented, he and Moller shared the time. Prather came back in last round and Moller started again till grand final. Prather started in grand finals and played big minutes. They were minor premiers that year and had home court advantage. Adnam and Hooley didn't play a lot that season playing typical bench minutes, as did Majok who was back up five and Barlow back up four, Anderson back up five four. Hooley came in as an injury replacement for Dillon who was injured before season started. United were playing average at the time Prather went down with the thought that Prather, Goulding and Ware were all ball dominant, they went on the winning run as soon as Prather got injured. United won the GF series but had Adelaide had home court advantage it might have been different. The eleven man rotation for most season was Ware, Goulding, Felix, Wesley, Boone, Moller, Majok, Anderson, Barlow, Hooley and Adnam. Goulding was MVP for GF series though Prather was great in game five.

Vickerman is a good coach but he has to put his type players around him, is he putting the side together or others. Gleeson gets guys to suit his system. In the United winning year the majority of the season Ware and Goulding were the main scoring threat outside with Wesley in side and Boone feeding off the scraps. The whole team played D, reasons that Adnam and Hooley didn’t see lots off time that season. There present team has not many natural defenders so it’s struggling, certainly not over for them because they have talent but that doesn’t win with out grind. Last season outside influences blew up towards season end and replacing Trist with a no better player and playing his big money players to long even though not performing crashed team first mentality and no defence on Cotton or White who was unstoppable and ended up MVP.

Yes he can coach but you need the right players and no matter what sport it starts at the defensive end.

Reply #786261 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

"Vickerman has also lost the Aussie players. Sided with the Imports in a recent bust up and so his days are numbered"

Can you elaborate on this...is there a rift between the americans and locals?

Reply #786262 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

United won the 2017/18 Championship with 4 imports.

Reply #786264 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Vickerman and Westover have plenty in common:

- Took over Tigers/United team who had underachieved the previous season

- Good imports returned, after already being with the team the previous season: Ware and Boone. DT and Tucker.

- Inherited veteran role players, no fuss characters who play team basketball and have winning pedigree, having won championships previously: Barlow and Andersen. Stiff and D-Mac. (And Hoare, without the championship experience).

- Big budget at their disposal: United re-signed Goulding after Vickerman's first year, and signed McCarron. Tigers signed Anstey for Westover’s first season, and signed Barlow after Westover’s 2nd season. Both teams have the money to go after in-demand imports who have proven themselves in the NBL: Long and Trimble. Ebi Ere.

In short, a coaches dream in both cases.

Reply #786269 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Man who was in the right place at the right time.

This. Made to look good by the Blackwell organisation.

Also see:

Lemanis, Andrej

Back to Utd and to be fair not sure how Crudelli has survived this long. Time for a cleanout.

Reply #786271 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So therefore Gleeson has just been made to look good by the Perth org? And Goorjian was just made to look good by working for the big spending teams? I don't buy it, there is so much more to coaching than having names on a piece of paper.

Reply #786277 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Long was the right move, best C in the NBL and Boone was fading fast. Burning bridges with Ware was the problem, as much as I hate his shit eating grin, he can ball on both ends of the court, makes smart decisions and can turn it on to win games at the end. As good as Trimble is he's still pretty far off being a leader and demander of the ball. Ware is probably the difference in Kings being top 2 and United being top 2 to be honest."

I don't think Long was the best move. The choices weren't Boone or Long, it was Boone or any other import in the world. Despite the flash and highlights last year, watching NZ play Long learnt the best way to stay out of foul trouble is not play D. He also allows himself to be completely forced outside of the paint when going up against size, as he showed every time he went up against Bogut. It's the same this season, way too easy to turn him into a jumpshooter. His offensive rebounding and ability to finish around the hoop are the only things he does at a high level, and IMO they do not make up for the other things he lacks, especially at the coin he would be on.

Agree with Ware though. Trimble is a high usage/low efficiency scorer that again, IMO at least, doesn't do enough outside of look to score to justify his pay on a roster like United who have other scorers on the roster already.

They bought high on Trimble and Long, and I think United would have been better served spending big on an import 4 to replace Barlow (easier than finding a dominant 5 man), big on an import 1 with a more rounded game (in the Ware/Machado vein), and less on an import 5 to replace Boone but do similar things to what Boone did the year before. It would have cost less and made more sense on the court, and Goulding/McCarron are fine in the 2/3 spots against most teams, especially if the 4 man import can guard the perimeter and pick up wings like Hopson from time to time.

Reply #786288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So therefore Gleeson has just been made to look good by the Perth org?"

That seems to be the general consensus. Just look at last year's COTY voting - Gleeson wasn't even top three.

Reply #786295 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I don't think Long was the best move. The choices weren't Boone or Long, it was Boone or any other import in the world. Despite the flash and highlights last year, "

Disagree, Long figured out how to stay out of foul trouble which the majority of import bigs fail to do in the NBL. I'd take that over waiting to see if an untried import can figure it out after a few months, if not, that pick-up is a bust.

Looking at Perth, Hunt never truly figured it out so they went high risk high reward with cutting him and bringing in Plumlee because they didn't have much to do. If United went with an untested C, they would've missed out on Long, and he probably would be at the Cats right now and we'd be title favourites by an absolute mile.

Reply #786298 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Paul please don't use Goorjian in that hypothetical please. In what world could you envision him moving clubs and being at the helm of a rabble such as the current Bullets team.

Thinking back to Lemanis at the Breakers you had those first two seasons or so where in one he let Carlos Powell walk all over him on national TV. Never before or again have I seen anything like it in the NBL - how he kept his job I don't know. Then once the Blackwells put in their culture, local NZ talent improved and was retained (and overpaid), the scouting/recruitment service (can't recall the name) they used which brought in the most consistent crop of imports compared to any other organisation, the construction of a club-owned Atlas Place training centre, finding substantial third party money for the signing of Kirk Penney etc. and Lemanis' record went up. Vickerman continued in it. These were all unique intangibles not even found at the Wildcats. I don't think it's unfair that such an environment can boost an average coach's record.

Reply #786299 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Vickerman has been the beneficiary of having good rosters at his disposal at both clubs, with money to sign elite talent, plus low maintenance veterans who put the team first and would be easy to coach.

An open question is exactly how much influence he has in recruitment but I suspect he directs the whole show and has the final say on any decisions. You'd hope so, anyway.

Reply #786303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long is so overrated, Gleeson wouldn't play him much as he is poor at the defensive end. Gleeson comes across as a flog but is a very, very smart coach.
Crevili and vickerman seem to spend a lot of time at the summer league only to bring in imports that are in the nbl already and they pinch them from poorer clubs or an injured Prather. Don’t make sense to me. McCarron probably hasn’t improved either.

Reply #786306 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul please don't use Goorjian in that hypothetical please. In what world could you envision him moving clubs and being at the helm of a rabble such as the current Bullets team."

This world. It hasn't been all plain sailing for him in China.

Reply #786313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It hasn't been plain sailing for gorg in China and result show that. Big money on offer though.

Good coaches can make bad teams ok, Bevo imo the best at that. Bad coaches make all teams look bad. In a nut shell you are still only as good as your players.

Reply #786320 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Who is this Raheem Moore and can we please sign him ASAP?

His name inspires Hoops greatness.

Can't be worse than Ramone Moore.

Reply #786330 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The season is not over.

Vickerman is a good coach.
A) he won 2 championships over 2 different teams.
B) He took an under-performing United and won it all the next year, then took them to Game 4 of the GF the year next.

What more do you want?

Every coach is exposed to losing at some point.

Gleeson wasn't able to get it done with DeAndre Daniels and Beal, nor with Cotton and JP Tokoto. Doesn't make him a bad coach.

I think this thread was either authored by Dean ' Ryan' Demopolous or Jo Lual Acuil's agent.

Reply #786333 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

We've seen what a poor coach can do with a stacked roster.
In fact we've seen what even a to-date, average, coach can to with a stacked roster.
So there is absolutely no way you can discount Vickerman's wins based on roster-strength.

In regards to last year's loss, people also have to accept that Gleeson is the best coach in the league. So being marginally "out-coached" is not necessarily that damming of Vicks. Probably the greatest thing Gleeson did last year, was getting his team to reconnect after their mid-season slump, and getting everyone to fire up for the finals.
The one criticism I would level at Vicks & MU, is that after getting pummelled in game 3, they lost their bottle and all-but rolled over in game 4.

What we know for a fact, is that in addition to stacking your roster, successful teams need to build chemistry, culture, and consistency. Melbourne had too much churn over the off-season, and inconvenient injuries during the season.
And yes, with Long and Trimble, looking at rebuilding the entire fabric of your team around two vastly different players.
Trimble was a great pick for a crap team looking for a hero. Moulding him into a leader for a would-be champion will take longer.
Long, as his size, is always going to be a more offensively valuable centre.

Reply #786344 | Report this post

Simon Cowell  
Years ago

That's a no from me.

Reply #786381 | Report this post

Cat  
Years ago

Hoops: Vickerman is not that great because he only has two titles despite all the stacked teams he's had.

Also Hoops: Gleeson is not that great because anyone could have won four titles with the stacked teams he's had.

You are screwed either way.

Reply #786393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking to Head Coach today whom I respect his answer was no.

Reply #786408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the armchair critics here who have never coached a game in their life less they actually have to get off their fat asses all up in here like they know more than professionals!

Reply #786422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman gets off his fat ass and coaches.

Reply #786423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can coach,but I'm sure Henare is terribly missed,maybe needs something else assistant wise,Schueller can’t be that clever if he’s taking Smith-Milner to Geelong.The league keeps improving so maybe some of those wiley old coaches could be used as assistants,lot to be said of experience.Vickerman looks almost bemused when they start getting 10 down against sides they probably should be in front off.

Reply #786424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell and Kelly are certainly missed.

Reply #786428 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This world. It hasn't been all plain sailing for him in China.

Bad word usage - I meant in the NBL. I'm all about them micro worlds so excuse it.

How about all those environmental factors at play that I listed? You can't deny the Breakers at that time were the best workplace for a (NBL) coach to be in.

Reply #786442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season outside influences blew up towards season end and replacing Trist with a no better player and playing his big money players to long even though not performing crashed team first mentality and no defence on Cotton or White who was unstoppable and ended up MVP.

No defence on Cotton? Ware dedicated his effort first and foremost to defending Cotton, and did so effectively. Cotton adapted to be more of a distributer. However, McCarron's defence was taken advantage of. He overplayed, and was punished by White, who frankly just looked like a much more experienced player through the series. It's not like McCarron didn't play defence though. I think McCarron's overplaying helped get White going. Also worth noting that White played better for four games than we have seen from him in NBL before or since. Without White's rare form, Vickerman's strategy seemed sound. I'm not sure he did enough to adjust though.

B) He took an under-performing United and won it all the next year, then took them to Game 4 of the GF the year next.

Worth noting the obvious cultural changes following Demopulous time as well. They were just not cohesive previously.

Gleeson wasn't able to get it done with DeAndre Daniels and Beal, nor with Cotton and JP Tokoto. Doesn't make him a bad coach.

That was some misguided recruiting too. I think they were a little too hot on the idea of draft picks after their success with Ennis.

Probably the greatest thing Gleeson did last year, was getting his team to reconnect after their mid-season slump, and getting everyone to fire up for the finals.
The one criticism I would level at Vicks & MU, is that after getting pummelled in game 3, they lost their bottle and all-but rolled over in game 4.

Agreed on both points. The mid season slump was a killer. Santa was referencing that in Overtime recently, when discussing COTY. Also, IIRC, Viickerman didn't make any significant strategic adjustments throughout (been a while though).

Melbourne had too much churn over the off-season, and inconvenient injuries during the season.

I think overcoing adversity in that manner can pull a team together once, but twice in a row can be mentally really fatiguing. The effect of injuries can't be overstated.

Reply #786443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^good post

Reply #786448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time and place is interesting point, Phil Jackson won over his players, mainly Jordan, at Chicago and it was more respect at the Lakers that made him uber successful.
Popovich had the luxury of Duncan and although he was a huge part of building their culture, can you say without Duncan would he have been as successful?
With Southern imploding, will Jamie benefit from gaining a bunch of really good players, albeit them not fulling committing and playing footy as well? Was Deano a great coach, or did he win those titles with a chequebook?

Reply #786463 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:47 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754