Jack Toft
Years ago

The Run Home

OK, so four more rounds to go and the last game is on Feb 16. The table is very tight at the moment and some teams will be lamenting some losses in about a month's time. What are people's thoughts on the final table?

My thoughts are:

1. Perth 19 & 8 - home wins will boost % and should squeeze out Sydney
2. Sydney 19 & 8
3. Cairns 15 and 12 - should do enough to push % up a bit
4. Melbourne 15 and 12 - have a high % now than Cairns, but the last round game against Cairns will determine if they finish 3 or 4.

5. Adelaide 14 & 13 - have left their run too late and will regret a couple of chokes
6. Phoenix 12 & 15 - mid season slump has cost them
7. Bullets 12 & 15 - too hot and cold
8. Breakers 10 & 16 - do they only pay 26 games?
9. Illawarra 5 and 22 - hard to see them sing the "we are the Hawks, the mighty mighty Hawks" song again this season.

Topic #46713 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Agree with your ladder tofty, too 4 teams are set imo just depends how they configure.

I'm a tad more pessimistic with Adelaide expecting 13-15 finish when all is said and done.

Whomever Melbourne faces it will be a huge semi! I think Cairns May struggle with lack of finals experience.

Reply #786321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's 28 games in the season. Your numbers are off

Reply #786323 | Report this post

I agree with the top 4.
Still a battle for first ( Sydney and Perth) and a battle for third ( Cairns and Melbourne).

Reply #786325 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Putting aside the eventual W/L records which are right out of whack the final standings are about how I see things ending up too. Once again I think Adelaide will just fall short as United just have too much talent to drop out of the Top 4.

Reply #786326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Sydney
2. Perth
3. Cairns
4. Brisbane (seem to have a softer remaining schedule)
5. Adelaide
6. United (season falling apart, team not prepared for a grind and will implode)
7. NZ (last 2 losses hurt them)
8. SEM (brutal schedule to come)
9. Hawks

Reply #786328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney
Perth
Cairns
Adelaide
Brisbane
Melbourne u
Nz
Sem
Illawarra

Reply #786329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"so four more rounds to go"

Five rounds to go.

Reply #786331 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

One of the rounds must have got lost in my spreadsheet. I did think that everyone played 28 games.

United are the ones most at risk of dropping out of the 4 if they let things get out of control.

I think Perth and Sydney for #1 will fall to %. Cairns have a lot of road games, but they are playing well on the road.

Brisbane, aka "The Lamar Patterson" Bullets just seem to get the job done, but not get it done winning ones they should lose and losing ones they should win. Any gameplan that gets drawn up need to revolve around restricting his shots on goal and should aim to drag hom around the court to tire him out

Reply #786337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney
Perth
Melbourne
Cairns
Brisbane
Adelaide
NZ
SEM
Illawarra
Now if SEM get new gun import 5 could change but those guys are not sitting around, so ain't happening. I could see Perth and Sydney swapping spots and Brisbane and Cairns as well. Melbourne will get third.

Reply #786340 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney and Perth battling for top spot, Perth with the nicer fixture.

United and Cairns battling for 3rd. Both teams have superior percentage to all remaining teams, so both should remain top 4. Potentially the game between them on Feb 13 will ultimately decide 3rd.

Lots of IFs here, but if United defeat Perth and then lose to Sydney in their remaining 2 games against those teams, and then Perth snatches top spot off Sydney, I might be barracking for SEM against United in the last game of the season.

Reply #786341 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Perth with the nicer fixture.

Some might say even a luxurious one!

Reply #786343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"United and Cairns battling for 3rd. "

United are in no way guaranteed a playoff spot. Don't worry about their game against Perth, worry about their next two weeks.

Reply #786345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is a better one with 28 games!

https://twitter.com/jordanmcnbl/status/1216560222371598337?s=21

Reply #786348 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I ran into the fortune teller. She said: " Beware !
Grand Trente ssers la magnifique. "

Reply #786355 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

1. Sydney: 21 & 7 - I think they have a big enough break and can do enough from here to hold out Perth. They can lose 2 more games, and still pip us on %.
2. Perth: 18 & 10 - may rue some of the unfortunate losses, but can do enough to hold on to 2nd place.
3. MU: 16 & 12 - I still think 3~5 are up for grabs, and MU's destiny is in their own hands. My TIP is that they will just pip cairns on %, BUT if they're cagey, may tank to face Sydney rather than Perth.
4. Cairns: 16 & 12 - could finish higher, and I think would be happy with 3rd and facing Perth against whom the won twice.
5. Adelaide: 15 & 13 - They are still a chance at making the play-offs, but they are so up & down, they probably won't string the wins together.
6. Brisbane: 14 & 14 - Sums up their season really.
7. SEM: 11

Reply #786365 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Melbourne are no longer cagey.

Reply #786367 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

oh WTF

7. NZ: 11 & 17 - Could do a lot better, but I think are now out of contention and have a tough run home.
8. SEM: 9 & 19 - I find it hard to predict ANY SEM wins from here on. They may well win a couple, but its hard to tip which ones that might be. Not going to save them from an ignominious end after such a promising start.
Question is whether they splash out on another import and give it a red-hot crack, or keep their powder dry for next season.
9. Hawks: 6 & 22 - Sad. IIRC they were my wildcard to make the top 4. ROFL.

Reply #786369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever drops Adelaide Cairns on this week will miss out imo

Reply #786384 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I would like to attempt a guess but honestly I don't think I can.

Any team not bringing their A Game will lose regardless of where they are on the ladder.

This season is filled with surprises though.

I keep expecting Cairns to flounder, they aren't.
I keep expecting United to realise their potential, they aren't.
The Sixers love to torture their fans by offering a wide selection of performances ranging from excrement (Hawks) to contender (@ Perth).

Reply #786392 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[may tank to face Sydney rather than Perth.]

Why would United do that when they're -30 against Sydney and +10 against Perth this season (really about +20 but lowered to +10 in junk time).

[Some might say even a luxurious one!]

Indeed Perth have a luxurious fixture, but at 14-8 and percentage behind Sydney at 15-6, Sydney is still looking very likely to get 1st. Perth could go 5-1, with Sydney only needing 4-3 to remain on top.

Reply #786396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth still favourites and going to get Martin back, Sydney still in it and if they can get Lisch and Moller back fit and firing they will be very deep with Walker and Hunter 11th and 12th man.

Reply #786398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd back Perth's experience in a five game series over the Kings talent.

Reply #786403 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"[may tank to face Sydney rather than Perth.]
Why would United do that"

I can think of 4 reasons to prefer Sydney as an opponent over Perth.
1) Travel. When you have to travel Away, then Home, then Away again, Sydney is a much better destination than Perth.
2) Finals Experience. Perth are reigning champs, with a large number of rings between them, and its a given they will go to another level in the finals.
3) Coaches. Gleeson is the toughest guy to coach against, especially come finals. Weaver is still unproven, and Vickerman (himself a 2x champion coach) would back himself there.
4) Plumlee. In one game he's already established himself as a game-changer for the Cats.

Reply #786406 | Report this post

Mathew  
Years ago

Cairns have a good run home but this weeks game with Adelaide will make or break both of their seasons. Adelaide need it more than cairns but if cairns lose this game it could spiral them a bit, Adelaide on the back of the Melbourne will be looking to keep this form rolling on.

Melbourne need to sort their locker room issues out soon before they fall to bits, but the real question is will this SEM import cause problems for teams fighting for 3rd and forth spot?

Reply #786549 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So... Paul Smith's twitter feed this evening
Yikes

Reply #786567 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Paul Smith is suggesting Sydney have not used their third import slot.

Can someone more in the know please elaborate on which of the following 3 players are deemed local then?

- Casper Ware.
- JaeSean Tate.
- Deshon Taylor.

Reply #786569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crikey, that was embarrassing! Since when does an owner attack commentators and other fans for giving their opinions?

Reply #786585 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Can someone more in the know please elaborate on which of the following 3 players are deemed local then?"

Casper said that he'd "lived in worse places than Sydney"

And that was enough for the NBL.

Reply #786711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found this

From January 29 to February 2, the league will host its inaugural Indigenous Round, with all nine NBL teams set to wear jerseys designed by local Indigenous artists. During Round 18, spectators across the nation can expect to see a Welcome to Country and an Acknowledgement of Country, with key members of the Indigenous community to be invited to games.

Reply #786722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

("Can someone more in the know please elaborate on which of the following 3 players are deemed local then?"

Casper said that he'd "lived in worse places than Sydney"

And that was enough for the NBL.)

Like Melbourne

Reply #786740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Smith is a total embarrassment.

Reply #786741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opposition supporters might think that Paul Smith is an embarrassment, but he's done a great job at the Kings. Great crowds and atmosphere, good team put together and coaches plus very attractive brand basketball. He’s putting the kings out there, his way and even though Perth are favourites it’s been the best kings year since Gordgian days.

Reply #786768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gordgian"

I can tell you're a massive NBL fan!

Reply #786769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a massive fan, doesn’t mean I can spell.

Reply #786776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've got to admit though, telling everyone all seasonyou're building a great culture, then going on some nonsensical rant at two commentators because they didn't say Shaun bruce should be MIP is a little embarrassing.

Reply #786778 | Report this post

Spelling matters to some. It's just a forum.
Most with half a brain realise he/she meant Goorjian.

Reply #786792 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Opposition supporters might think that Paul Smith is an embarrassment

I just care about whether he is good at his job. If he is, then weird episodes are just interesting/entertaining/embarrassing rather than being actually worrying. I don't want any NBL owners to be losing the plot.

Reply #786800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two commentators talking up there own guys gives everyone the shits, I'm glad he’s backing his man. If you are playing for the nbl1 Melbourne tigers or your name if Froling you’re the greatest. About time commentators call the game or get rid of them. You can add Cadee to those previously mentioned.

Reply #786804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Two commentators talking up there own guys gives everyone the shits"

They said that Pineau is their pick for the MIP. Do you disagree?

Reply #786807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Gaze also started talking up Naar as mip, Bruce by length of the straight. He contributes to a winning side, Pineau looks good in a side that's struggling and against better fives has been average.

Reply #786812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MIP isn't about team success.

Reply #786814 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Pineau is definitely in the box seat for the MIP, gone from backing up Bogut to starting and putting up solid numbers. Bruce and Naar are still playing back up roles. Bruce will always be a back up, whilst I think Naar in the right situation could start and if he does he will definitely win an MIP in his time, very good at running the offence, just needs to improve on the defensive end. Dech may even be ahead of these 2 in the race for MIP. Back to Dane, I do think he is going to get smashed this weekend by Plumlee and Bogut which might bring him closer to the pack in the MIP race if others can step up.

Reply #786821 | Report this post

Dech is my pick for MIP.
Yes he is on a dud team but has capitalised on his opportunities.

Reply #786830 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Look, if you're going to have an award of "Most Improved Player", then subject to a few restrictions, it has to be just that "Most Improved."
Some of the results are truly shocking, and you can speculate that maybe it was a coaching issue, or whatever, doesn't matter.

Maybe it was Gaze, maybe it was Bogut, maybe he just hated Sydney and was homesick? Doesn't matter. In terms of improvement, it's Pineau then daylight. He's an absolute lock for that award. If you can find a bookie to take the bet, put your money on it.

Rookie of the year is a bit more interesting. Is Ball eligible?
Otherwise my pick would be Noi.

Reply #786841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech or Pineau for me. Season is not over yet so we will see.

Reply #786843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech or Bruce for me. Pineau body shape has changed immensely compared to his Sydney stint. SEM have a very good trainer, was previously with United, he's obviously trained very hard but imo I’d take one of the other two at present, still six weeks to go.

Reply #786847 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Paul Smith's conduct is very unbecoming of an owner / front office management.

You are supposed to be above such things, even if you see someone disregarding your player. There is no need to :
- Accuse others of Melbourne bias,
- Accusing Miles Plumlee of coming here for a holidays. Then asking if any other players would like to come to Sydney for a holiday.
- Stating you haven't used your 3rd import spot
- Lifting up the Kings as the most consistent team in NBL history (consistently what??? Not winning.)

If he is so easy to troll I hope the NBL community go at him when he talks more crap.

Reply #786848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It happens, get over it, maybe listen eddy McGuire some times.

Reply #786857 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Some because one executive does it, we should turn the other cheek from now on?

Reply #786868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth
Sydney
Cairns
Melbourne

Reply #787205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754