WNBA 2020 Season
Big news for the WNBA last night as the new collective bargaining agreement was announced. It covers 2020 - 2027 with mutual opt-outs in the last couple of years.
Some of the main points that have been released:
* Salary cap increase from $996k --> $1.3M, and then +3% per year
* Individual max base salary up from $117k --> $215k
* Additional bonuses to increase potential max total salary above base amount
* Improved flight & accommodation arrangements
* Improved maternity leave & child care conditions & allowances
* Quicker unrestricted free agency, and reduction in coring from 4 years eventually down to 2 years
* Improved off-season earning opportunities
It's a welcome bump up, especially for the top players. (Though still not good enough for certain ones apparently). It looks like the new individual salaries vs the new cap will also create much more of a salary mix for mid range players, resulting in more player movement and more pressure on GMs to get their moves right.
Some international impacts too, with penalties/suspensions to start being introduced for players who don't report to pre-season camp on time. That will definitely impact some competitions like Euroleague & the French league, which always run very late. (These clauses apparently don't kick in for a few years)