Luuuc
Years ago

WNBA 2020 Season

Big news for the WNBA last night as the new collective bargaining agreement was announced. It covers 2020 - 2027 with mutual opt-outs in the last couple of years.
Some of the main points that have been released:
* Salary cap increase from $996k --> $1.3M, and then +3% per year
* Individual max base salary up from $117k --> $215k
* Additional bonuses to increase potential max total salary above base amount
* Improved flight & accommodation arrangements
* Improved maternity leave & child care conditions & allowances
* Quicker unrestricted free agency, and reduction in coring from 4 years eventually down to 2 years
* Improved off-season earning opportunities

Article

It's a welcome bump up, especially for the top players. (Though still not good enough for certain ones apparently). It looks like the new individual salaries vs the new cap will also create much more of a salary mix for mid range players, resulting in more player movement and more pressure on GMs to get their moves right.

Some international impacts too, with penalties/suspensions to start being introduced for players who don't report to pre-season camp on time. That will definitely impact some competitions like Euroleague & the French league, which always run very late. (These clauses apparently don't kick in for a few years)

Topic #46722 | Report this topic

+  
Years ago

how are signings looking ?

Reply #786619 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Now that the CBA is done, free agency begins as scheduled on Feb 1

(and with the CBA change hanging over everyone's heads, a lot of contracts had been time to expire now so expect a higher than usual number of players to be on the move this year)

Reply #786626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the money coming from?

Reply #786648 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Any idea what the improved off season earning opportunities entail?

I imagine *most* players play somewhere else during the WNBA off season already?

Reply #786650 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No one wants to answer this one even though we know from where.

Reply #786721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll answer it Perthworld, after you cook me some eggs

Reply #786723 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

that base max increase may attract some top tier Euro players ? y/n ?

Reply #786731 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just for starters, there's the $25M per year deal with ESPN that wasn't around when the previous CBA was signed. There's a deal with CBS, and corporate sponsorship is a lot more visible now than it used to be (including now being on uniforms). So however unprofitable it used to be when the last agreement was signed, I'd be pretty confident that it's less unprofitable now.

that base max increase may attract some top tier Euro players ? y/n ?

I'll be interested to see what effect it has on the Europeans. I'm guessing probably not a major one, since even the new max would still be a lot less than the top Euros would be earning in Europe, and there aren't many at the very top echelon of the WNBA to be on max contracts anyway - especially now that max contracts can't be dished out to every second player in the league.

Reply #786732 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Official 2020 free agents list:
Link

An unrestricted free agent is free to sign with any team provided that she is not designated as a Core Player by her prior team.

Note that core designations have 2 more days to be assigned, so this page is slightly misleading until then.

Reply #789003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most Aussies now want back in to wnba with the pay increase.

9 potential Aussies this coming season?
Cambage, Whitcomb, Allen, Talbot, Mitchell, Magbegor, Griffin, Smith, Tolo. I think you can guarantee 4-5.

Wallace and George unlikely.
Tupaea ain't making it.

Reply #789005 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Normally I would have said that Cambage, Whitcomb, Allen, Talbot, Mitchell, Magbegor & Smith are all locks if they want it, but Opals duties will be a major factor this year.
Unfortunate situation for Tolo with LA's front court already being pretty stacked, but I'd think plenty of other teams would have a good look if LA can't fit her in. Assuming she wants to play this year of course. Coming off a major injury I could see her wanting to limit this winter to just Opals stuff.

Reply #789011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Tolo wants to actually be any good at the olympics, she NEEDS to be playing games against better competition than the WNBL. I think the WNBA would be perfect prep. You can probably say the same for Talbot, Griffin, Mitchell and Ezi. The WNBL is nowhere near the international standard, intensity or speed.

Reply #789061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wnbl is a pretty good league but it's run terribly.

The wnbl needs to align with the nbl for it to grow. No way can it flourish as a seperate entity.

NBL / WNBL

Perth / Perth
Adelaide / Adelaide
Brisbane / New team in
Melbourne / New team in, cut Southside and Bendigo but play a few games there.
Sydney / Sydney
S.E Melbourne / Boomers become SEM
NZ / Canberra fill in until each have both men’s n women’s.
Cairns / Townsville possibly become Cairns, preferably connect both as north qld taipans
Illawara / New team in
21’ (Southern, Tas, Hobart) / New team

Reply #789067 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A few big names on the move so far

Kristi Toliver signs with LA
Angel McCoughtry signs with Vegas (if Liz shows up, that'll be drama overload)
Skylar Diggins traded to Phoenix
DeWanna Bonner sign-and-traded to Connecticut

Reply #792549 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #815486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitcomb needs more minutes.

Reply #815487 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Her team is stacked. She's doing very well to be averaging 17 IMO.

Reply #815488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do u think Whitcomb could play the pg position luuuc?
Filled in as backup when bird was out.

Reply #815489 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She could, and like you say she has done (including in the WNBL) but I don't think it's the best way to use her. She is naturally so aggressive bordering on reckless so as a PG she needs to curb that right back to avoid racking up turnovers, which she can do but it takes away from her scoring which is her best attribute.
Somewhere like Seattle it works fine because she's still got Jewel Loyd alongside her in the backcourt plus options galore inside as well. She did a nice job with that. But in most teams I think you'd rather have her at the 2 because that's where she's doing the most damage.

She's getting some good chemistry happening with Magbegor too, which is cool from an Opals POV.

Reply #815493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just thinking sandy likes playing Talbot at the 2, Allen 3, George 4, Cambage 5

Talbot n George are the weak links imo, ones not contributing offensively and the other defensively.

Whitcomb + Magbegor I think would be better suited goingforward. Trouble is the pg position.
Do u go Ebzery who did well at WC but not Olympic qualifiers.
Or do u throw Whitcomb at the 1 and put another guard beside her.

Reply #815494 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sami & Ezi live on SBS Viceland tipping off in a couple of minutes...

Reply #817190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix too tired from their OT game 2 days ago

Reply #817191 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Massive fizzer sadly, yeah.
Clark shutting down Taurasi as usual, and Diggins injured.

A good training run for the aussies at least.

Reply #817193 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Smith out injured again? And no Mitchell
Whitcomb wasn't impressive, but Ezi is going to be a force , that kid can play

Reply #817227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game for Mitchell but knocked out on buzzer beAter from Phoenix.

Reply #817352 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Great fightback by Phoenix in the 4th. Mitchell was huge but it wasn't quite enough.
Smith was understandably rusty returning from injury. After a promising start it hasn't been a great season for her unfortunately.

Reply #817356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Hartley come back?
What's the deal with griner?

If sandy had of lost, I think it would have been the end of her wnba coaching career tbh.

Reply #817357 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hartley is on a multi-year deal so it comes down to how soon the ACL is good to go.
Good question about Griner though. Hard to guess without knowing what her personal reason was for leaving the wubble. In the past she has been very "Phoenix for life" so I'll assume she's returning until proven otherwise.

I don't know about Brondello's career ending tonight though. Phoenix have been one of the positive stories of the league with the way they handled adversity this season. I think the coach needs to get some of the credit for that.

Reply #817368 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Congrats to Ezi Magbegor & Sami Whitcomb - 2020 WNBA Champions! :)

Reply #818495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes!

Reply #818496 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754