Aussie
Years ago

LaMelo Ball done for the season

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/basketball/nbl/lamelo-ball-nbl-news-stats-injury-update-latest-illawarra-hawks-shutting-down/news-story/8013a5ec7305ce0e624f1e0cba42bb97?__twitter_impression=true

Topic #46730 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

" Ball had been out since December 8 with a bone bruise in his foot, and Jackson said that the conclusion from Ball's most recent visit to the doctor was that he’s “totally healthy," but would have to train for a further six weeks until he’s ready to play in games.”

Reply #786879 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Well I'm shocked!

Reply #786880 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

It's a shame but understandable.

Hopefully he provided the NBL with a pretty big revenue gain.

A great kid with plenty of talent.

Let's hope the NBL are in advanced talks with new (high level draft picks) next stars for next season

Reply #786881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope all the jerks who dogged me for saying he want returning from day 1, hope you're enjoying this.

Reply #786882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you really did say he's "want returning" then yes, I am enjoying this.

Reply #786883 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

So in the end, LaMelo played half a season for an estimated $500,000 (or possibly more). Did the NBL get the same amount back in value? Will they get what they're hoping for from the NBA draft buy out? Will throwing the Hawks season into disarray be seen as worth it?

A lot of this will inform how they move forward with the program.

Reply #786885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No shit he wasn't coming back, don't lesson to carey William or same time Liam Santamaria , if you want straight talk lesson to trash talk podcast with Hooley and Felix von hofe , Hooley is a suck up and Felix tells how it is

Reply #786890 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

No shit he wasn't coming back, don't lesson to carey William or same time Liam Santamaria , if you want straight talk lesson to trash talk podcast with Hooley and Felix von hofe , Hooley is a suck up and Felix tells how it i

I have no idea what you have just said

Reply #786894 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Completely healthy but six weeks away from being able to play?

Not buying it.

Reply #786895 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I have no idea what you have just said

"lesson" = listen & "carey" = Corey. Not sayin' that'll help but worked for me.

Reply #786896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, your initially believed he'd play again, so you’ve been off with this.

Ofcourse he is fit, but just by simply saying, I’m good to go but don’t want to risk it, looks shit for scouts. By any means possible. Nba fans won’t care about this, and that’s all that matters along with teams.

Reply #786897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if you want straight talk lesson to trash talk podcast with Hooley and Felix von hofe , Hooley is a suck up and Felix tells how it is"

Felix Von Hofe is a tool. Hooley is Shane Heal's waterboy. There, I just told you how it is.

Reply #786900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Completely healthy but six weeks away from being able to play?

Not buying it."

I think most people can see they are protecting him for the draft.

Reply #786901 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Isn't it basically breaking contract to not play when healthy? I am surprised that people are so understanding of this, whereas someone like Webster was heavily criticised for skipping off to China mid-season for extra money.

It probably helps that the higher Ball is selected in the draft, the better it is for the NBL's Next Stars program. From an outsiders perspective, the timing of Ball's injury coming immediately after mock drafts put him at #1 was always suspiciously convenient. Hopefully it is all genuine.

Reply #786902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, they have said bone bruising. That certainly doesn't happen over night and can be career ending in fact. Clearly it was pre existing and with the added workload of the NBL it just exacibated the injury.

Good luck in the NBA with that hanging over your head. Once again it confirms that management didn't give a shit and simply wasted their money on an injured player.

Reply #786913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok thanks doctor

Reply #786916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks. It is something I have seen in professional sport and unlike you I know what I am talking about.

Reply #786919 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Does he skip to China after the NBL season for a short contract before the draft? I can't see him sitting around for 6 months doing workouts...

Reply #786921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Brooks hadn't gone down, would his stock have climbed so much since he was basically thrown in to play starters minutes when otherwise his minutes would have been way lower.

Reply #786928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" and unlike you I know what I am talking about."

You actually dont.

Reply #786933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone knows more than you. Except stalking.

Reply #786939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You're getting caught up on the public message. Irrelevant if you're a doctor or seen an injury before. The story for clubs looking to draft him or trade for him is likely different.

The headline in the Illawarra Mercury is "Taking his Ball and going home".

Reply #786960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is why they chose bone bruising, as its ambiguous enough to justify keep him out for the season, but not serious enough to impact his draft stocks.

Reply #786964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I said previously bone bruising can .be a very serious injury. But apparently some regard says I don't know w hat I am talking about. All good.

Reply #786969 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I've had terrible bone bruising on my foot from coming off a bike on the road, it affected me being able to walk properly for 12 months, 2 years later and I have no issues with it whatsoever.

Reply #786970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's good for you. Some not so lucky. LaMelo could be in the unlucky category.

Reply #786972 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, it's clear he could play if he wanted to but they're protecting his draft stock. Many were saying early in the season that he might be shut down around mid-season if his draft stocks look a certain way, and they do, so that's what happened. Skeptical that there even is an injury. It just seems too convenient.

Reply #786974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As I said previously bone bruising can .be a very serious injury. But apparently some regard says I don't know w hat I am talking about. All good."

You also said it was pre-existing, and playing in the NBL made it worse. How do you know this?

Reply #786981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I said previously bone bruising doesn't magically happen, it occurs over a considerable period of time. A training incident is very unlikely to cause bone bruising. If you had experience in this area you would know. Clearly you don't. Stop the trolling.
It also can be caused by a severe trauma and if that was the case at training they should have said so.

Reply #786989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, they have said bone bruising. That certainly doesn't happen over night...

You also said it was pre-existing, and playing in the NBL made it worse. How do you know this?

As mentioned by others, bone bruising can occur from a single incident. No reason for outsiders to conclude it was pre-existing.

Reply #786994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=134&contentid=514

Reply #786995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asking someone to explain how they diagnosed his bone bruising as pre-existing without a shred of evidence, is not trolling. I'd suggest you're trolling, because you keep hammering the same point home when you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

And as isaac said, the official announcement is bone bruising. The real situation could be something entirely different, so your comment about management wasting money on an injured player is probably off the mark too.

Reply #786997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If LaMelo is happy to have bone bruising on his CV then great. Other than that I don't care what you think. Stop trolling Matt.

Reply #786998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What??

Reply #787000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did you spell "mate" wrong? haha

Reply #787001 | Report this post

All the best to him.
He made Hawks games more entertaining for me to watch now I don't bother.

Reply #787010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard LaMelo got a pizza burn on the roof of his mouth and he's probably going to die. I've seen it before and he probably came to the NBL with it. Good luck in the NBA with a pizza burn Matt

Reply #787015 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I heard he got it at the Comet Ping Pong Pizzeria and only ended up in the NBL because he was trafficked here.

Reply #787019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard he's got NFI (no foot injury).

Reply #787020 | Report this post

Juce Brohnson  
Years ago

hahaha gold

Reply #787023 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"If Brooks hadn't gone down, would his stock have climbed so much since he was basically thrown in to play starters minutes when otherwise his minutes would have been way lower."

The minutes played scarcely changed as he was a starter all season. Ball was playing 30 minutes per game pre Brooks' injury and played 33 minutes per game after that injury.

The difference was that he took more shots after the injury (21.2 per game - 28% of the team's shots) than he did before it (13.4 per game - 18%). And his 3 pt accuracy improved from 18% to 30%. I imagine his rebounding numbers went up as well, but I didn't check those.

It's possible not having to share the ball with Brooks meant he picked up more assists and shots, leading to those couple of big games that preceded the end of his NBL season. Someone who's followed the Hawks' games this season might be able to comment? I'm just going off stats.

Reply #787024 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

Tell me this, why does he have a moon-boot on during the games, but all over IG yesterday, while he is feeding his horse, he has sneakers on?! Moon-boot nowhere to be seen!

Reply #787038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laughing at your own jokes. Oh dear.

Reply #787041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he has sneakers on?! Moon-boot nowhere to be seen!"

Because he has got over the injury, as per the article.

Reply #787049 | Report this post

Ballgate

Reply #787143 | Report this post

Hey cousin where you been.

Reply #787672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Twitter
@NBL
LaMelo Ball (@MELOD1P) has returned home to the US today where he will continue his rehabilitation from injury and prepare for the 2020 NBA Draft

Reply #789276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the memories Lamelo it's been the best season of NBL ever, now go get that number 1 draft position.

Reply #789277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought he was injury-free. He just needed six weeks to regain his match fitness.

Reply #789280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that's what rehabilitation is.

Reply #789284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't call it rehab.

Reply #789285 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I've had bone bruising. I'm no expert but in my case it was a result of a single blow.
It's a PITA, because once the soft-tissue bruising heals, everything seems fine, until you start using it normally, and it starts to hurt like hell.

Of course this also makes it the perfect injury to fake.
X-rays show nothing, you have full range of movement, and can even tolerate moderate usage. Plus once it eventually heals, there are no residual problems.

But I also don't have any evidence or first-hand knowledge regarding Ball.

That said, my suspicion is that if Illawarra weren't an embarrassing basket-case, and had managed to stay in play-off contention, we might have seen more of Lamelo.

Reply #789286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark's show the bone bruising.

Reply #789288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Auocorrect is a butch. MRI's

Reply #789289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to him, made the league better when he played. I'm tipping he’ll end up in the big smoke. He’ll be great for the knicks.

Reply #789299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've had extreme bone bruise on my shin bone from a motor bike accident, it showed up on X-ray, the bone was full of blood hence the name bone bruise, it is very painful and took at least 6 months to start to feel useable again, then the rehab began for a year to build strength in my muscles again before I could do any type of sport.
And rehab comes after the injury has healed.

Reply #789302 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Good luck to LaMelo.

Hope the NBL experience was positive for him and more prospects will follow his steps.

Just not at the Hawks.

Reply #789309 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754