Aussie
Years ago

Next Stars targets for next season

Matt Logue has an article up on the Telegraph but it's behind a pay wall.

Could someone please tell me what it says about next stars targets for next season?

Topic #46737 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully none. Draft n stash much better, like louzada.

Reply #787039 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Hopefully none. Draft n stash much better, like louzada.

I'm not sure why you would say this.

Do you think this seasons crowd figures would be as high without Lamelo Ball?

Reply #787046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no one with ball following in the coming seasons.

Reply #787050 | Report this post

Damo75  
Years ago

Only names mentioned are Cade Cunningham (Oklahoma State), Evan Mobley (USC) and Terrence Clarke (Kentucky).

Reply #787148 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here is a look at some Next Star prospects for next season:

12 tantalisingly possible Next Star prospects for 2021

Reply #787149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sotto is the only bacon earner.

Reply #787163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jalen Green would be worth the price of admission. Kai Sotto is on that list lol the great filipino NBA hope, kid is a major stiff.

Reply #787203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see the Hawks with multiple next stars next season

Reply #787210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can terry Armstrong stay for a 2nd year as a next star? I cant see him being drafted

Reply #787213 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"can terry Armstrong stay for a 2nd year as a next star? I cant see him being drafted"

I don't see why not, it would make sense, he is still very raw.
And if he turned that 2nd year into a draft pick, it would be an even greater endorsement for the program.

It will be interesting to see how the draft goes for Ball and Hampton.
As I understand it, they make a HUGE production out of it.
Can you imagine if NBL teams took out say 2 of the top 10 picks.

It might be a bit late, but it is certainly going to boost the profile of the program

Reply #787221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the default Next stars contract is two years so unless they mutually agree to part ways we may see Terry back

Reply #787241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball and Hampton have slipped to 3 and 8 in the latest pre draft, so playing certainly helped them as being injured they have fallen. My problem with it is a player like Armstrong is on 100g paid for by the league and can't get on the court because he’s so average at present. He’s earning more than half his team that are playing.

Reply #787244 | Report this post

From a local standpoint I would like to see Giddey, King or Wigness but Jalen Green jumps out as a high draft pick and would be a massive boost to the team that could get him.

Reply #787252 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

By all accounts, Giddey is as good as gone to college already.

Wigness & Kind are realistic NBL options, while Jalen Green would be a massive coup.

Reply #787316 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I think the default Next stars contract is two years"

You're right, it seems to be, so I think Hawks get a payout when Ball is signed to an NBA team, and a player not signed could presumably come back as a stash.
However I did read somewhere that Armstrong was only one year..

Reply #787327 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"My problem with it is a player like Armstrong is on 100g paid for by the league and can't get on the court because he's so average at present. He’s earning more than half his team that are playing."

That's why it's paid by the league, and besides, I can assure you that most players get more than many people estimate.
It would only be the real end of the bench guys who would be getting less.

Reply #787329 | Report this post

Absolutely right Dazz only 9-11 men on squads would be on less than 100K.

Reply #787670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While scouting at the 2019 SSANBA tournament in Sydney, Australia. I came across and watched a young prospect, Ajok Malou from Melbourne. After speaking with him he told me that he'd only played local rep and was in talks with following opportunities overseas to the US. This shocked me because the young fella had some tremendous upside at just being 16 years old and had never been involved with any state programs. The kid was about six foot six with a huge wingspan and a natural feel for scoring, inside and out and a knack for defense. The point is, although these Australian state programs and sports institutes produce talented players such as the upcoming next stars for the 2021 NBL season, serious prospects are going unnoticed because a lot of attention is being focused into only recruiting out of the state programs. To combat this issue, high level Australian coaches should try scouting local players themselves by attending tournaments such as the SSANBA and other, before prospects flock overseas and slip through teams fingers.

Reply #805723 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754