Jack Toft
Years ago

Bullets v Phoenix Jan 23

Once upon a time, there was a handsome prince called Mitchell. He was from the southern lands, across the creek. Prince Mitchell and his band of merry men included Big John, Prince Adam, The Dark Prince Ben, Kyle the Dude, and Tai the Kangaroo.

They had fought hard in their first year of the jousting contest and now need to win their next 6 jousts to finish off a fairy tale season. But it's hard when the jousting team only has one move and after a few weeks of the jousting season, the other jousting teams worked out their offence. Nevertheless, these brave men venture into the bowels of mother earth to joust with the gold and blue team. The green team are looking for frogs to kiss, but in the lands where the Bullets are from, there are only cane toads. and finding fair maidens is pretty hard too.

Brisbane go into this game as hot favourites and for very good reason. The Phoenix are keen, keen as mustard, but I think you'll find the one offensive play they have has been worked out well and truely. You have to feel a little sorry for Benny, who hauls hit butt up and down the court, sets himself in the wing waiting for the pass, and it doesn't come. Brisbane have been a bit inconsistent this season, but hey, show me a team who wins games they should. Anyone can win on any particular day.

Bullets have won 3 in a row and 4 out of 5, on the flip side, it's 1 from 5 for the Phoenix, who travel as poorly as a Kardashian in economy class sitting next to an obese accountant with bad breath still living at home.

This is the crunch part of the season and the Bullets are bringing out the nut crackers tonight. Lord Lamar v Prince Mitchell will be a highlight, but there's no fairy tale for SEM this season.

Brisbane by 9

Topic #46768 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

You are the highlight of each week Jack.

Reply #788244 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Glad you enjoy!

Reply #788245 | Report this post

Brisbane by 7+.
Stick a fork in SEM they're done.

Reply #788246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,
An Accountant wouldn't be sitting in economy class!

Reply #788252 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ok, maybe a book keeper

Reply #788254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pineau's been a revelation this season & is probably the favourite for MIP - though if you want to be a playoff/championship contending team he can be your main 5 man.

Reply #788260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can't*

Reply #788262 | Report this post

B-ball  
Years ago

Brisbane by 11 and I think I am being way too generous to South East Melbourne.

Reply #788269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets should win this one. If they're serious about finals they have too. I think the upsets the NBL has been seeing, maybe dried up a bit moving forward. The better teams will be winning.

Reply #788270 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Jack,
An Accountant wouldn't be sitting in economy class!"

Not true. There's even at least one at most 36ers games and he flies economy all the time. I’ve even seen a paediatrician flying ADL to Gold Coast on the regular, down the back with us plebs. Business class is for pollie and corporate types, or folks upgrading with points.

Good write up Jack. Fun, but I’m not sold on either team being fairy tale worthy this year though.

Reply #788280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets should win this and they should do it reasonably comfortably. Pineau has been good but his mates in the media have made it easier for him. Let's see how he goes tonight against Magnay when Magnay plays five, another mip candidate.

Reply #788281 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Homicide commentating = straight to mute

Reply #788343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any more cringe worthy and non sensical nickname in all of basketball than "two way Magnay"?

Reply #788344 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't think there will be any fairy tales this year, despite the amount of frog kissing

Reply #788349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible commentary from all of them. Mute well and truly on.

Reply #788351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll take Candy out of that though, she’s fine.

Reply #788352 | Report this post

Candy is an A grade babe.
B+ at a Minimum

Reply #788353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Dan Trist NBA ready?

Reply #788355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refereeing has been wildly inconsistent... Absolutely nothing being called in this game. I'd love if this became the new normal for the league.

Reply #788356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say that and Vaughn comes through with the awful charge call.

Reply #788357 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I am nominating Madgen for the best flopper in the NBL. It is Madgen and daylight!

Reply #788358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have had to mute the commentary team again. Only so many times a game you can hear one guy yell '2 way Magnay'. NBL must do better with the TV product.

Reply #788359 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

To be fair, Magnay has been pretty spectacular (defensively). That's 3 blocks on Creek, all of them highlight-worthy.

Reply #788360 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Offensively too, with that pass.

Reply #788361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tai Wesley is absolutely washed.

Reply #788362 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Is Gliddon just Toddy Blanchfield without a floater?

Reply #788363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Luke needs to stop fucking yelling every possession

Reply #788364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, stop fucking yelling!

Reply #788365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm calling that offensive foul on pinneau the worst this year

Reply #788366 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Big call re: worst foul call of the year, but it was definitely hard to see what the ref thought he saw there, I agree.

Reply #788367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan Sobey you are not a point guard. Move him back to the 2 where he can focus on attacking, you don't want this man making decisions for you at the point with a close game.

Reply #788368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pineau ahead of Magnay, lmao.

Reply #788369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That ref needs to explain that call in the review .refs the only thing holding the comp back .

Reply #788370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson in the top three players in the league. All Brisbane imports have been good today. Sobey is to full of himself and he should not be.

Very enjoyable game despite the commentary from Melbourne.

Reply #788371 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Wesley needs to retire - he makes Barlow look like Road Runner

Reply #788372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the flack he's gotten you have to give up for Singler. Does all the little things, no wasted movement, real high b-ball iq team player.

Reply #788374 | Report this post

During the play Homicide talks about Cam Luke running a marathon? Hooley had to interrupt and commentate the game,

Reply #788376 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Phoenix becoming too static, allowing Brisbane to put on the pressure and get inside their heads.

Reply #788377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that attempt at banter over the marathon was cringe. Do they know? Like they must read twitter etc

Reply #788378 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

What has happened to Creek's foul shot? No leg extension, falling short .. leg or back injury?

Reply #788379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek does look to be carrying some sort injuries. Had very good season but fallen away recently.

Reply #788381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL commentary on mute also! That was plain horrible.

Reply #788387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from a couple of obvious howlers I thought the referring was great. They didn't call irrelevant contact. The game flowed. That's the standard to work towards.

Reply #788393 | Report this post

Accountant  
Years ago

So what is your occupation Jack Toft?

Reply #788394 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Didn't watch the game, just catching up on chatter now. PLEASE tell me y’all joking that someone is actually using the term 'Two Way Magnay’.

Reply #788395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben, its all Homicide and his odd side kick Cam use.

Reply #788398 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Oh dear, not good :(

Reply #788400 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Also not good for my mute button which is totally worn out. Time for NBL fans to band together in a no win no fee class action to get free replacement remote controls.

Reply #788402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam runs into the key and throws up "the floater". More often a brick floater. Not NBL material.

Reply #788404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes thought the refereeing was good and yes got the mute button on early. More of Gaze and Screen. Why do we need so many different commentators, just keep the better ones.

Reply #788410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Luke, Hooley and Homicide NO WHERE NEAR ready to hold down and entire game's broadcast. Someone in the broadcast team should get a whack for that crew being green lit for a game.

Reply #788412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is playing a character. What's Cam Luke's excuse? He's terrible.

Reply #788421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> During the play Homicide talks about Cam Luke running a marathon? Hooley had to interrupt and commentate the game,

From the tone of his voice I think even Cam was like err where are you going with this dude...

Reply #788425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When your team and organisation show little regard for stopping or even pretending to try and stop your opponent, then you don't deserve "luck"! Phoenix are a team that will find a way to lose!! Most times!! Season ...... going.....going ...........gonnnnnnnnne.

Reply #788541 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754