Anonymous
Years ago

Philly's Matisse Thybulle a potential Boomer?

Apparently he's a dual USA-Australian citizen. Wonder if he's interested in representing Australia at the Olympics

Topic #46803 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really?

Reply #789481 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/uws-matisse-thybulle-gets-chance-to-develop-game-with-pac-12-all-stars-in-australia/

Reply #789482 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

A snippet from the article re growing up in Australia....

"For starters, it's a long-awaited homecoming to the country where he spent a portion of his youth.

The 19-year-old Thybulle, who was born in Scottsdale, Ariz., moved to Sydney, Australia with his family in 1998 when he was 2. They lived there for seven years before settling in Sammamish, Wash. in 2005."

Reply #789483 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Pick and Roll published a story today on this.

A potentially huge development. I'd be very surprised if Basketball Australia, Ben Simmons and/or Brett Brown haven't started a conversation with Thybulle about an opportunity to represent Australia, possibly as early as the 2020 Olympics.

Reply #789484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This could be big news for the boomers but not so good for NBL boomer hopefuls.

Reply #789485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I asked this years ago on this forum and most people said indatically he had no citizenship and was ineligible.

Reply #789494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could see this being an 'expedient' decision for him, ie he probably for all intents and purposes considers himself an American, but would likely never make the USA Team. If he ever wanted to play international basketball, playing for Australia would offer the quickest path. Likely medal contention being a bit of a added benefit! I honestly hope it happens, but won't be losing sleep over it.

Reply #789495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate it when people say things "indatically"

Reply #789497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F'

Reply #789500 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #789503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be really an Aussie but being born in the US I'm calling BS. Now if Dutton thinks he’s an young french lass trying to be a baby sitter, he’s a chance.

Reply #789516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(I hate it when people say things "indatically")

What?

Reply #789524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was addressed on draft day...

Reply #789535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spell check emphatically

Reply #789537 | Report this post

Lol.
Let's find as many loophole players as possible.

Reply #789543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is it a loophole if he has Aussie citizenship. It comes down to his choice and that alone.

Having both Mitchell and whotcomb or Griffin would be a loophole.

Reply #789546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" This could be big news for the boomers but not so good for NBL boomer hopefuls "

Forget about nbl players, they suck

Reply #789549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so if Thybulle plays for the boomers can Cotton as well

Reply #789554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Cotton get naturalised on Australia Day?
If he did then I vote yes

Reply #789557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Spell check emphatically)

Better

Reply #789558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(" This could be big news for the boomers but not so good for NBL boomer hopefuls "

Forget about nbl players, they suck)

True

Reply #789559 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If this bloke was any chance of being in an Australian uniform, we'd have heard it by now.

Reply #789572 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"A potentially huge development. I'd be very surprised if Basketball Australia, Ben Simmons and/or Brett Brown haven't started a conversation with Thybulle about an opportunity to represent Australia, possibly as early as the 2020 Olympics."

No I am not that confident that Basketball Australia would have. They dropped the ball on Kyrie Irving until Kyrie himself looked into the possibility. I doubt they've asked Thybulle anything. Brown might not even know. It might even be up to the fans to educate them on the possibility, strangely enough.

"" This could be big news for the boomers but not so good for NBL boomer hopefuls "

Forget about nbl players, they suck"

I'm hesitant to say they suck but when you look at the best possible Boomers squad you tend to get about 10 NBA players plus Bogut, who spent most of his time there.

Ben Simmons
Patty Mills
Joe Ingles
Jock Landale/Jonah Bolden?
Aron Baynes
Matthew Dellavedova
Dante Exum
Bryce Cotton?
Ryan Broekhoff
Matisse Thybulle
thon Maker
Andrew Bogut
Chris Goulding

Reply #789583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do any of you people watch or follow the nba, there is so many players that are hardly playing, or in the g league. Some of those guys are totally spudding up in their five minutes as well.

Reply #789587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That list looks good except for Goulding.

Reply #789598 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

and Bolden

Reply #789600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Pick & Roll reached out to the 76ers and they confirmed it with them (shown in their article)z you would assume it's true. Because of this, Brett Brown (and Simmons) would definitely know being he’s on the same team.

While I’m unsure if the rules will permit both Thybulle and Cotton on the team, they definitely have different circumstances... Thybulle was living here and gained citizenship as a kid that had been living here... not naturalised for elite sporting reasons, like Cotton will be. Therefore, I think he’ll be ok. After all, Maker can play gaining citizenship as a refugee. If he gets approved, and wants to play... I don’t think any NBL players outside of Bogut would make the team.

PG - Simmons
SG - Mills
SF - Ingles
PF - Baynes
C - Bogut

Bench
PG - Dellavedova
SG - Exum
SG - Cotton
SF - Thybulle
SF - Broekhoff
PF - Bolden
PF/C - Maker

That would be the best team Australia has ever put together and a medal favourite

Reply #789605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Following/Future tournaments potentially...

96 Simmons / 95 Exum / 02 Wigness
92 Cotton / 00 Green / 94 Dech / 02 Giddey / 02 King
97 Thybulle / 92 Creek / 97 Noi / 01 Travers
92 Kay / 97 Maker / 96 Bolden / 98 Magnay / 95 Cooks
95 Landale / 98 Humphries / 94 Acuil

Centre looks our weakest position going forward.

Reply #789607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

[
PG - Simmons
SG - Mills
SF - Ingles
PF - Baynes
C - Bogut

Bench
PG - Dellavedova
SG - Exum
SG - Cotton
SF - Thybulle
SF - Broekhoff
PF - Bolden
PF/C - Maker ]

Exactly the same team I would pick for Tokyo. Anon.
FFS, we don't need kay and goulding, too slow, unathletic and can't play defense.

Reply #789608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes and Bogut aren't playing together lol.

Reply #789611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ why do you say that? They played together a lot in Rio. International basketball is very different to the NBA, teams clog the lane and defend. Size matters!

What really helps is that Baynes has developed his perimeter shooting a lot in recent years. Bogut is also quite competent playing out to the perimeter offensively with his passing game so I do think they can still play together.

Reply #789614 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Hesitant to put Bolden in there. You don't need a guy deciding he doesn't get enough minutes and jumping ship mid way. If it were up to me he would've forfeited his citizenship that day

Reply #789618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"FFS, we don't need kay ... can't play defense."

Has there been a more ignorant comment ever posted on hoops?

Reply #789620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Hesitant to put Bolden in there. You don't need a guy deciding he doesn't get enough minutes and jumping ship mid way. If it were up to me he would've forfeited his citizenship that day)

It's a good thing it’s not up to ME

Reply #789621 | Report this post

Brettie here
Leave JoJo alone he's ok. I’m mates with his old man.
Not his fault Lemonass played Kayos ahead of him and made him cry
Yeah Little Thissie 'll play for us if I ask him
Can’t have two many who can shoot the sh&t out of it
See ya in Tokyo

Reply #789625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Wow so bitter

Reply #789634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Delly
Broekoff
Exum
Bogut
Maker
Cotton/ Goulding
Thybulle

Reply #789640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Dellavedova
Cotton
Thybulle
Maker
Bogut

Broekhoff
Last spot - Exum, Goulding, Green, Creek, Kay, Bolden

Reply #789641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

delly wont be going to the olympics, if cotton, exum, and thybulle are in the team

Reply #789648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum has sucked.
Delly a much better floor general and passer.

Reply #789649 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Delly going to the Olympics, proven player at the level and in FIBA comps.

Fringe NBA guys who won't make it unless something dramatic happens.

Exum - Needs to worry about staying in the NBA, not sure who he gets into the team ahead of

Maker - Maybe but does his game suit FIBA as he can't guard in the block at all so do we have better options?

Bolden - G-League player and simply not good enough

Reply #789656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 of maker or bolden will certainly make it.

Reply #789657 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Delly will be in the team. What he does in the NBA is irrelevant. He has a good track record for the Boomers and that is what will be on minds when they select the team.

Reply #789660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exum started the last game for cleveland

Reply #789666 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Maker would be ahead of Bolden clearly....Bolden might be spewing about the tantrum he had at the last Boomers camp as he was only a G-League player and expected to get the silver service, he'll be just ok when he gets back to the NBL.

Reply #789668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden will get in under brown I think.

Reply #789670 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I love Delly as much as the next person, but Exum is a very good defender and we're going to need that, at the expense of who I'm not sure though. Thybulle is a very good defender too, but until he confirms he would like to play for the Boomers we need Exum I think.

Reply #789671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Kay over Bolden, Kay was terrific in China and Bolden was a toddler. Goulding, like Patty, has elevated in the green and gold and I didn't rate him going into Worlds but he was great for us there. Thybulle would certainly add some wing depth and defensive aggression that would be extremely valuable if Ingles shows up with an allergy to shooting again.

Reply #789681 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

My Boomers team

Baynes
Landale
Ingles
Mills
Simmons

Maker
Bogut
Bolden
Broekhoff
Thybulle
Delly
Exum

Next in line if someone unavailable - Mathiang, Creek, Humphries, Adel, Green, Goulding, Kay, Motum, Bairstow

I didnt consider Cotton as he isnt currently a citizen,

Reply #789698 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Bolden has been putting up numbers in the G-League that suggest he'd be a very good NBL1 import!

Reply #789707 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I know there are some exceptions

In General, GLeague stats and NBL stats translate fairly well

Bolden is averaging 12p,3a,7r in 25 mins
Kay is avergaing 14p, 3a, 8r in 30 mins

So Bolden stacks up very well vs Kay who he would be competing with for a spot.

Bolden like Kay would be an excellent NBL player if he were playing in the NBL.

So hardly a failure or NBL1 level guy as some seem to think.

Reply #789731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden compares pretty well but in a tiebreaker Kay has the advantage of being a Boomer previously

Reply #789735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kay is too slow and unathletic, i rather have bolden in the team

Reply #789736 | Report this post

Trust me Jonah will be there

Reply #789826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of those nba guys done nothing, Maker will get eaten in FIBA, wasn't even that good against the Philippines. Bolden, Exum not much happening and Humphries lol.

Reply #789830 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Delly has always needed to be surrounded by the right players to be effective in the NBA. His spot on the Boomers team shouldn't be contingent upon his NBA minutes. Although going 16.7% on 3-pointers this season is a big worry. Is he still persisting with the new technique? His career 36.8% is healthy.

Thybulle would be an excellent fit on the Boomers. If he plays, suddenly we go from lacking depth at the 3 to having three NBAers at the 3, two that often start.

Reply #789834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kym Taylor and Mick Corkeron experiment all over again, desperately finding American with Australian ties. Aren't we good enough to get players that actually know anthem, what a meat pie and chiko roll is.

Reply #789840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Apparently not, when does he start?

Reply #789852 | Report this post

I still remember Drake U'U the "Aussie" wildcat.

Reply #789863 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If Thybulle really obtained citizenship in 2006, it's a bonus that his citizenship was obtained before age 16, so he wouldn't take up the naturalised spot. This would also allow for the inclusion of Cotton.

Thybulle is one of those rare players who gets defensive highlight compilations on YouTube. Inserting two excellent defensive players in Simmons and Thybulle, along with strong interior defenders (Bogut, Baynes), notable defensive guards (Exum, Delly*), and strong defensive wings (Ingles, plus add in Broehoff), the Boomers team is looking like a strong defensive team.

(* I have to put an asterisk next to Delly as I wonder if he has regressed significantly at the defensive end.)

Reply #789869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^He was good at the World Cup

Reply #789946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 76ers 3 aussie guys are doing a fundraiser

Reply #790082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^yep with Brown, he's in. Bring it on.

Reply #790372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matisse Thybulle proud of his Australian roots

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/matisse-thybulle-proud-his-australian-roots

Reply #790395 | Report this post

Max Lee  
Years ago

Ha hA ha!

Reply #791641 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

From reading the Pick and Roll article it seems like he is interested in playing for the Boomers at the Olympics, but the cards have to fall right. Probably has to be not-injured, not tired, and not have an offer from USA Basketball. That I can completely understand. With Ben and Brett involved I'd say we have a good chance of getting him.

Reply #791677 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I think it will come down to whether Ben and Jonah like him rather than whether Brett does.

Also, would Brett have the cojones to select him if BA don't have a clue who he is?

Reply #791681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonah shouldn't be in boomers discussions.
Thybulle a chance if Brown or Simmons can chat to him.
I don't see him getting an offer from team USA.

Reply #791685 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Jonah can suck an egg. And with him being traded from Philly I see no real guarantee Brown would want him on the team, or that Jonah would want to play for Brown on the team. remember Jonah's ego has to be stroked just right for him to stay with a team.

Reply #791709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonah's actually a really nice guy. Boomers WC leadup aside his done a lot of good things outside of bball that you’ve got to respect.

Reply #791710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not adding Cotton until we know for sure he is naturalised.

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Dellavedova
Exum
Goulding
Broekhoff
Kay
Thon Maker
Bogut.

Reply #791713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot Thybulle..

Reply #791715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons / Dellavedova
Mills / Cotton / Thybulle
Ingles / Broekhoff
Landale / Maker / Kay
Baynes / Bogut

Goulding and Exum not in great form.
Exum will be dellys replacement in the future, green will be millsreplacement promoting cotton to starting sg.
Bogut and Baynes gone, Magnay, bolden, Humphries, mathiang the other options in the post.

Reply #791717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't rate Humphries.

Reply #791718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Thybulle is available then Exum is redundant

Reply #791720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754