Anonymous
Years ago

Amateur hour at bsa again

Extreme heat, games cancelled with plenty of time, well done. Forecast of major storm with extreme rain, let's wait until literally last minute before cancelling despite well know problems with stadiums leaking as well as hazardous driving conditions, genius move. Do these clowns even think anymore or just make shit up when they're driving home and realise what's going on???

Topic #46812 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Advising people at 830pm that games will be canceled for a range of reasons one being adverse road conditions when the bulk of those people are already on the road- genius.

Reply #789848 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How wayville continues to leak - clearly not eagles fault. But to know it cause games to.be cancelled because it rains and still inaction.
Roads were great at 8.30 pm.
Try the se freeway run in winter if want adverse. Does that mean more games cancelled...
Never know.
Want a home with no leaks. Why so hard

Reply #789857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All Saturday morning games cancelled. So BSA when will you be re scheduling these games . Or will you just let it slide and say too bad!

Reply #789872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First time I can remember games being cancelled on all courts because games are unsafe to play on some courts.

Considering the conditions we played in growing up this is a joke. A few people whinge and now all these kids don't get to play.

Reply #789875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the 12/14 div 1/2 games that were actually played be canceled/erased?
It seems all stadiums got to play except Wayville?

Reply #789876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games that reached half time will count, including those games that were completed last night.

Reply #789881 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

The same people on here complaining would be the same people complaining if their child suffered a knee injury that they shouldn't have played due to the conditions.

Safety comes first!

BSA made the right decision. The weather predictions were irrelevant as they tried to see if the stadiums would be fine but then when they were getting multiple reports from different stadiums they decided it was best to cancel all games. Unless they had hindsight, then there was nothing more they could do. Yes it was inconvenient for people but that is life as the children's safety was more important.

"Considering the conditions we played in growing up this is a joke. A few people whinge and now all these kids don't get to play."

No chance of suing back then. Science wasn't as good back then. Organisation are more accountable now to the safety of juniors

Reply #789886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there was a light sprinkle last year, Wayville leaked. So thunderstorms predicted did they think something would change. True stupidity is letting the same thing happen over and over again and expect something to change.

Reply #789893 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Fair point Brunson kids safety comes first. But the conditions should not have come as a surprise to BSA. The early games should not have gone ahead either considering the temperature and conditions in some of stadiums.
Weather warnings were issued at 9am. Make the decision then or even later in the day to save all players from potential injury and country people or everyone really having to be on the roads. Canceling games at 830pm shows the procedures need improving.

Reply #789894 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Wayville roof being fixed over next 3 weeks, I believe. Dunno whether it is Royal Show organisation that owns the building or not, and who does maintenance....

Reply #789906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they going to re schedule the games????

Reply #789911 | Report this post

====  
Years ago

will have to wait and see. Last year they were abandoned from memory. Pools should be close to being defined for State Champs.

Reply #789916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brunson, I do agree that those arguing over games being cancelled because people are "soft" nowadays (or logic to that effect) are likely hypocritical and/or ignorant. However, a valid gripe people have is with the timing of the decision to cancel all remaining games last night.

If BSA did not want to make the call before the rain really picked up, that's fair enough. But everyone knows now that Wayville, for example, will leak when there is a moderate amount of rain. It was obvious well before their announcement that leaking was going to be an issue at multiple venues. Why wait until before tip-off to cancel when it had apparently become a safety hazard well before that point?

It also doesn't bode well for BSA when stadiums in need of maintenance (e.g. Wayville) have been neglected for so long, new stadiums have glaring faults (i.e. St. Clair and The ARC), our newest 'premiere' stadium has sub-optimal air conditioning (i.e. The Lights), and South has yet to secure a new home after years of planning and lobbying.

I find it tough to argue with people who feel as though BSA has been failing it's stakeholders for years.

Reply #789951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games were cancelled due to hazardous road conditions 15 minutes before the U16s started. Players get to stadiums 30 minutes before their games, therefore that reason was actually bullshit.
It could not have been about the courts being unsafe because the U14s were allowed to complete their last quarter so neither of these "reasons" were valid.
Don't remember any information coming out from SAPOL or the SES saying roads were unsafe either. BSA are now the authority on this???

Plenty of stadia were perfectly safe.

Then we wake up this morning to be told that BSA staff went around to all stadia this morning and they were unfit for play due to humidity. Utter bullshit.

I personally inspected 9 courts and they were all "tacky" due to the humidity. Domestic competitions running on these courts all afternoon with no problems.

Joke of a situation. The decision was NOT about the safety of the kids as explained above.

Reply #789955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Champs pools are already sorted, so there's no need to reschedule.

Reply #789981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming there is a State Champs.

Reply #790014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember one of the arguments early in my life that basketball was an indoor sport, irrelevant of the outside conditions. Now is seems one of sports that are indeed reliant on weather. Too hot, can't play, too wet, can't play. Temperature during day, mid 20s, slightly sunny with a little breeze, okay, let's play. And wonder why ball gets a bad name!

Reply #790049 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

The dreaded incompetence strikes again. BSA rostered catch up games for a round affected pre Xmas, which has seen teams from various clubs arrive at Port Adelaide today to find no BSA staff for payments, no umpires and hence as we speak all games cancelled. Teams had to wait around to see if anyone from BSA could roster any umpires on to no avail. No-one knew these games were happening apart from all the clubs who had been told to be there. BSA your excuse for this one??

Reply #791712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rain Man - post about this on their Facebook Page so that more people can see it.

BSA only asked at 1:30 in the afternoon if any referees could make it to 2:00 Pt Adelaide games, which is way too late notice for anyone on their weekend. You hit the nail on the head, they forgot about you and your games.

Reply #791880 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Asking around at 1.30pm for Refs when the first game was 1.00pm. Yup - was never gonna happen and nor should it as junior refs have lives, jobs, study, weekend plans etc etc. Poor indeed.

Reply #791891 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Asking around at 1.30pm for Refs when the first game was 1.00pm. Yup - was never gonna happen and nor should it as junior refs have lives, jobs, study, weekend plans etc etc. Poor indeed.

Reply #791892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO ACCOUNTABILITY to stakeholders there. Do you really think the commission care about this kind of issue constantly going on? The CEO cares about what he is told to care about by a board that has no idea about basketball. The whole governance and leadership setup there at BSA is the strangest of any sporting body in the country.

Reply #791893 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

That's absolutely deplorable from BSA, yet sadly doesn't surprise me.

Who is in charge of staffing and rostering refs? Big Joe? Mike Gibson?

Reply #791902 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

I was one of the people who cancelled weekend plans to be at the stadium on Sunday because we HAD to catch up games previously cancelled due to wet courts (on a court that had leaked for a good 2 years prior).

Made the treck to Pt Adelaide, only to find no-one from BSA there at all. No-one on the door, no court supervisors, no umpires, nothing.
Did BSA completely forget they had scheduled these games? Every single team and club knew the games were on, everyone else showed up, but nothing from BSA.

In fact it took several people many attempted phone calls to even get hold of someone from BSA. They called for over half an hour before anyone even answered. From there it was a good hour of standing around waiting to see if BSA could get their act together. Of course it was too late.

Sadly, BSA is one of the worst run organisations in the country (along with the SACA). How they could simply forget they had scheduled a round of games is beyond me.

Given all of these games HAD to be played as they impacted on finals, just how are BSA going to sort through the mess they created? Do they make the games a draw?

Reply #791961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referee's are rostered by Donna Miller and Danika Jolley. Mike Gibson is now the competition’s manager.

Reply #791969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That explains a bit.

Reply #791972 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

It seems to have been beyond just not having umpires. There was no-one there at all. No-one on the door, no court supervisor, no scoring system out etc... Genuinely nothing was organised.

Reply #791981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would then suggest 3 departments were at fault.

Reply #791986 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Has BSA advised what the issue was? Will the make up games be rescheduled again

Reply #792004 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

BSA have apologised and basically blamed communication issues (in other words, their own incompetence).
Oh but now they want to re-schedule the re-scheduled games for this Sunday. So that is 2 re-scheduled games, on Sunday afternoons. Do they realise that families don't sit in basketball stadiums all day every day??

Reply #792390 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Did BSA apologize? All I've read is this:

"Hi All,

With the finals commencing next Monday for all district competitions and with the numerous interruptions due to weather conditions throughout the season we must make up some missed games that impact on team finals positions. We have not scheduled game that do not impact a teams final position. Please note that it may not affect your team but will affect the opposition.

The only date remaining to complete this games in preparation for the finals is this Sunday the 16th February. Below is a list of the games we require to play. All games will be at Port Adelaide.

We know the difficulty this can cause - to assist parents and thank them for their support Basketball SA will not be charging any player or spectator fees on the day. Below is a list of the games:

12.30pm Sunday
U14B1 South v Norwood Ct1
U14G1 Forestville v North Ct2
U14G3 Forestville1 v Sturt1 Ct3

1.45pm Sunday
U16B2 Forestville v Sturt Ct1
U14B2 Norwood v South Ct2
U16B4 Norwood1 v North1 Ct3

2.45pm Sunday
U16B1 Forestville v North Ct1
U18G1 Forestville v North Ct2
U16B5 Norwood1 v Forestville1 Ct3

4pm Sunday
U16G2 Forestville v Sturt
U16G2 Southern Tigers v North Ct2
U18B6 North v SA Church Ct3"

Reply #792395 | Report this post

Micgroan  
Years ago

Not sure what all the fuss is about really. So have a catch up game that's about an hour of your life at the stadium. Do you want your kid to play or not. Why not just don't play and you get weeks off....
See heaps of eagles - odds the source of complain. It's your leaky roof th e fault. Get onto sorting that so we don't keep wasting Tim e idle watching rain drops falling. So precious. Maybe footy better option you get wet but you get a game...

Reply #792399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You had one job......

Reply #792400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Micgroan you shouldn't comment when you have no idea what you're talking about. Just a thought.

Reply #792403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone that calls himself MicGroan instead of McGroan should be banned from here purely on being an imbecile.

Reply #792415 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Some games shouldn't be required, specifically

U16B1 Forestville v North Ct1
U14B2 Norwood v South Ct2 (South would require North to lose on Friday to a low placed Eagles)

Reply #792427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume the U16B1 replay is for state champs seeding, as it has no impact on Summer finals as you pointed out.

Reply #792431 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"I assume the U16B1 replay is for state champs seeding, as it has no impact on Summer finals as you pointed out."

Fair enough. Cheers

Reply #792433 | Report this post

Micgroan  
Years ago

So I can't have an opinion and I need to get some random annoyomous to give me seal of approval. I am a Mic not a Mc or even a Mac.

Reply #792441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no knowledge of Adelaide basketball infrastructure but I did read on facie the other day Wayville was getting a new roof? Is this that stadium being referred to?

Reply #792450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Micgroan, you can have an opinion but are ignorant of the facts. How do you propose Forestville fixes the roof when BSA subleases it to them?

Sturt have similarly tried making repairs/maintenance at Pasadena and been overruled by the school. South aren't allowed to put in an aircon at Marion (for god knows what reason).

These are realities of a shitty situation with basketball in SA. To say that clubs are 'wasting time' is moronic.

450, correct. It's been several years (too long) in the making.

Reply #792452 | Report this post

Micgroan  
Years ago

Didn't say clubs wasting time. Tis wee parents the stakeholders getting shafted all the time. Leaking roof slippery court unsafe surface and let's use it as it is. Your kid does a knee or someone elderly slips does a hip - ah just ignorant for thinking floor safe to walk / run on.

Reply #792485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA schedules games despite inadequate facilities, for which they are the tenant. Why are you blaming the club? Similar issues have occurred at Marion and Hillcrest in recent years - not their fault either, since the facilities are BSA-run.

"Your kid does a knee or someone elderly slips does a hip - ah just ignorant for thinking floor safe to walk / run on."

What point are you trying to make? I'm saying you're ignorant for blaming the wrong party, not because playing on wet courts is safe.

Reply #792490 | Report this post

Micgroan  
Years ago

Ignorant for blaming the wrong party. So let's just wait till rains again. Seems to be accountable not fashionable.

Reply #792495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ignorant for blaming the wrong party.

Correct.

"So let's just wait till rains again."

The roof is being fixed this month, as another poster mentioned above. If you want to wait for rain for no reason though, go for it.

"Seems to be accountable not fashionable."

?

Reply #792530 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"South aren't allowed to put in an aircon at Marion (for god knows what reason)."

They put the aircon in over the holidays

Reply #792559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. They were also directed not to by BSA, but did it anyway.

Reply #792562 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

In terms of the U16B.1 game, neither North nor Forestville would change ladder positions regardless of who won. So the game is completely irrelevant.

From what I understand the teams have agreed not to play the game anyway.

Reply #792575 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

As someone from outside SA, I just cannot see how BSA would refuse to allow aircon or roof fixing or whatever, in the interests of the players. Or have I misunderstood?

Reply #792579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume BSA didn't want to cough up $$ to run it.

Reply #792609 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

Time for these idiots running BSA to be held accountable and sacked!!!
Get rid of the old wood and bring some younger more energetic people with fresh ideas and enthusiasm to run the organization. Couldn't do any worse. The same issues come up every year and nothing gets done.

Reply #793737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior, I agree but how will this happen. Bean counters at top who know nothing about basketball, how do they measure customer satisfaction? This cockup of forgetting games were on is embarrassing, but nothing will get done. All the talk of creating a culture, be it teamwise or club is main goal or organisations. But bsa continue to have a crap one. Staff turnover due to being under trained, inexperienced and underresourced is main problem. Just looking in from outside they put young people in a job that's definitely too hard for them for crap pay. They get sick of it, quit, then it starts over again with a kid that has no idea.
And then, just generalizing, referees get jobs and act like they're still on the court, can't admit mistakes. I remember being told by a staff member that a kid wasn't eligible, told me not to play him. Knew I was right so did anyway, someone finally explained rule to him.
So maybe not too newer blood, just find some proper administration with experience.

Reply #793762 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Are they under resourced or just have the wrong people in the wrong roles.

Reply #793766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sport here just doesn't generate enough money. #762 is spot on, although I can think of one or two that are taking the piss with the delivery of their role - But one of those is virtually untouchable and accountable to no one.
The bottom line, no money no staff to maintain even the basic of the needs of the sport. Not sure how you would get your job done with half the resources you need!

Reply #793770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing multiple staff have resigned in the past week and at least one sacked. New CEO having some issues?

Reply #795776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't staff quit every couple of weeks at BSA, no news there. Amazing staff turnover.

Reply #795790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All rumours. Nothing to see here.

Reply #795792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to see because noone gives a shit really, just want at least the governing body get their act together and stop stuffing up all the time.
How do other organisations do better, work as a team, better training and communication. Hire the right people, pay more than the fry cook at McDonald's?

Reply #795809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All rumours. Nothing to see here."

Right... except they're not. Ring BSA on Monday and ask for Joe.

Reply #795839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully whoever messed up the preseason NBL1 roster got the sack. Both teams to rock up on time, and yet the referees were told the game was scheduled several hours later - talk about amateur hour

Reply #795841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754