Jack Toft
Years ago

Brisbane v Melbourne Feb 1

MOTR

So much at stake for both teams and the winner likely to be 4th after this game. Brisbane could sure up 4th with a win to take them to 14 wins and a Melbourne win could see both teams on 13 and 12 separated by %.

You would have to say that past form goes out the window this time of year. The split is a win each and the form team is "five wins in a row" Brisbane - what? They have one guy to thank for that, and it's not Lamar Patterson. Will Magnay has been a ball magnet and really lifted when needed.

Melbourne have thrown away a top 4 spot. They say if you love something, release it and it'll come back to you. Not this baby. Melbourne opened up the cage and their golden canary shot out only to go into the Brisbane cage.

Melbourne will find it hard to assert dominance today and I suspect the lead will change more times than we can count. Tight game all around, but I suspect win #6 in a row looms for the banana benders. No soy latte for dis United. This game will be won in the 3rd quarter.

Bullets by 4

Topic #46813 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love to see Brisbane win this, Melbourne will be knowing it's probably the final shot. Who can mark Paterson for United and will Trimble light it up for United. Melbourne been horrible till last Wednesday but Bullets can choke from winnable positions.
Toss up Melbourne by 1, hopefully I’m wrong.

Reply #789868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't be close. United are terrible. Bullets by 20

Reply #789873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biggest game of the season for each team - let's go bullets.

Reply #789891 | Report this post

Perthwor1d  
Years ago

I think Melbourne will win but hope to be proven wrong.
Would be great to see the big spending United miss the playoffs.

Reply #789895 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I feel two things...

1) That the Bullets should win, deserve to win & will do what they have to to win

&

2) Some sneaky behind the scenes league ownership influence will want & perhaps influence helping UTD get the win

^ Seen this plenty of times this season when UTD won games they hadn't deserved too.

Reply #789902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you implying United get favourable treatment from the refs? Probably happened in some games... as it has for all other teams. Poor referring overall this season, but haven't noticed any team being consistently favoured.
Anyway, United are so bad, nothing could save them!

Reply #789905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm tipping what your inferring in point 2 Air Delay is actually illegal and a criminal offence. So I’d suggest highly unlikely.

Reply #789908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Air delay gone mad, how's that going to happen.

Reply #789912 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

After Cairns percentage booster last night, they're all but assured a playoff position.

Winner tonight puts themselves in the box seat for the last spot.

On recent form it's hard to see United making this a competitive game.

But,form is fickle.

Reply #789920 | Report this post

Form is definitely fickle.
Brisbane are playing well.

Melbourne with win.

Reply #789924 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

AirDelay

Will you be able to see from underneath your tinfoil hat?

My view will be great from the grassy knoll I've just had landscaped into my loungeroom.

Reply #789930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan I don't want anyone to win this, lol.

Reply #789935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble and Barlow on the bench, Kidd and Acuil starting! Wow let's see if this helps

Reply #789950 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I don't go for either team, I'm a suffering Hawks fan : (

But strike me dowm if UTD haven't had the best 'rub of the green' out of all the teams over the course of this season.

Reply #789953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again the aggressors get away with it... note brisbane habe come out ahead multiple times with this tactic

Reply #789957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> But strike me dowm if UTD haven't had the best 'rub of the green' out of all the teams over the course of this season.

Just as you say that united pick up two rough Ts

Reply #789958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous technical there! Do the refs hate basketball? Some "rub of the green" that!

Reply #789959 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ugh Carey Williams

"Put me on the bench coach what's wrong with chu"

Repeats it over and over and over

Reply #789960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two horrible calls on Brisbane, defenders are supposed to have position for it to be called a charge,

Reply #789962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And ppl on this forum like homicides commentating.

Says it all really

Reply #789963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble on fire

Reply #789965 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Things worse than Homicides commentating?

Go

Reply #789966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, how does the NBL come together and say "you know what, let's renew homicides contract".

Reply #789968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey making Trimble look like a super star. If not for Hodgson playing his best game Brisbane would be gone. Melbourne are not getting beaten from here.
Agree on homicide, it's woeful and imo hooley not much better.

Reply #789969 | Report this post

United baby.
Told ya.

Reply #789970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So United are going to make it to the playoffs after all. I'm sure the NBL will be happy.

Reply #789972 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm watching on mute. I might miss a lot of useful and interesting info, but at least I don’t have to put up with Dickicide’s voice

Reply #789973 | Report this post

Dickicide I like that.

Reply #789974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rebounding will cost United this game and the season

Reply #789976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane's shooting is unbelievably bad today

Reply #789978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gave mello too much credit earlier in competition. Defensively very lazy. Overates his own ball handling ability. Very poor decision maker. Good open shooter though. Be interesting how he goes down the stretch in this one.

Reply #789979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rebounding shouldnt cost united? Mr dbl
Dbl!!!!!'

Reply #789982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're not winning a game while giving away 25 offensive rebounds...

Reply #789983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it up for Taylor Braun. His one job in the second half was to focus on Trimble and did a good a job as you could after Trimbles first half.

Reply #789985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV will be livid.

Reply #789986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats Brisbane. Playoffs confirmed.

Reply #789989 | Report this post

In before annoying anonymous point out I was wrong with Melbourne winning.
Congrats Brisbane.

Reply #789990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cracking game. Thanks for Santa in the commentary box as the other two are woeful. Patterson is the real mvp. Trimble and Goulding can't play in the same team, both require so much of the ball, again Trimble can score a million but side doesn’t win. Hodgson was fantastic, best game I’ve seen him play. Cadee playing much better under Lemanis. Millionaire Melbourne what can you say, just a bad mix of players, what were they thinking when they put this squad together.

Reply #789991 | Report this post

No more boomers stress for Lemanis.
On fire.

Reply #789994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane still need one more win, nz @ Brisbane, Perth @ Perth, Cairns @ Brisbane, all hard contests.

Reply #789997 | Report this post

Hoops where the salty 36's fans come to deflect from their own rabble by making stupid comments about every other team. Forget the MU $$ and the NBL referees looking after them - maybe just maybe Brisbane won because they hit 80% from the FT vs 66% and 55 to 30 Rebounds. A well deserved win.

I wish the caravan park you live in didn't have WiFi and we wouldn't need to put up with your pearls of wisdom....

Reply #789998 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Congrats Brisbane. Playoffs confirmed."

Not yet. Lose to NZ next week and they might have to beat both Perth and Cairns from there to make it. The Breakers game is the key one, that will all-but lock them in, but lose and they might be in trouble.

Impressive the way Brisbane found a way to win tonight on a horror shooting night.

Reply #789999 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I don't think I need dinner tonight, I'll be eating my words! : )

A few tough calls on UTD earlier, but they HAD that & threw it away.

Credit where credit's due, Brissy did well to get that W!!!

Reply #790000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers and Bullets are both getting it done at the right of the season... 4th spot battle is great for the game

Reply #790001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would have thought...

Brisbane, the most 'unbalanced' roster in the comp, turns their season around with a 6 game win streak fueled by great team play along with some inspired individual performances (Patterson pretty much every game, Magnay’s emergence as an elite rim protector, and Hodgson’s game today)

And... effectively eliminate one of the two pre-season favourites, with had one of the most impressively assembled rosters in league history, one who today looked extremely unbalanced!

Trimble had a great game but it’s clear him and Goulding struggle to play together as he struggled to get going with Melo dominating the ball. Long’s season started out really well, but as the season went on, his dominance really waned. They really missed Prather being a closer for them but it’s clear he’s going to struggle to get back to his best. His replacement Kidd had some moments but was ordinary at best. Another re-build looming for MU!

Reply #790002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The poor standard of referees clearly on display again.
Kidd should have got an additional Tech for headbutting Vikona in the elbow?

Reply #790004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ The refereeing has been consistent all season. Consistently bad.

Reply #790005 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If you give up 28 offensive rebounds, you don't deserve to make top 4.

Back to the drawing board for United.

Patterson must be pretty damn close to MVP

Reply #790015 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Will Vince go back to cutting hair?

Reply #790016 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah, Bizarre reffing.

Vukona elbowed Kidd in the face, and somehow escaped with 1 foul to Kidd's 2

Long got a tech for.....? What exactly?

And the NBL continues the recent trend of picking out useless fouls on rebound contests

Singler got a foul in a rebounding contest against Barlow for nothing

And they wonder why people like Trimble flop? Well, if you routinely call fouls on the softest of contact, you must understand soft contact is easier to fake

Reply #790019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding's last game at United?

Reply #790028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably not Gouldings last game seeing as there are 3 games to go... But if there is a Tassy team in 2021 he would have to go wouldnt he??

Reply #790030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania team 21-22 so season still in between, he's no spring chicken any more either.

Reply #790040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb Untied. Cough. Bye.

Reply #790053 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Vukona elbowed Kidd in the face, and somehow escaped with 1 foul to Kidd's 2

Prather headbutted Sobey and Sobey did the same and got ejected.

Didn't see you complain of course.

Reply #790058 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" And they wonder why people like Trimble flop? Well, if you routinely call fouls on the softest of contact, you must understand soft contact is easier to fake"

If Melbourne get all floptastic it's reasonable, if others do it you bitch like there’s no tomorrow haha

Classic LV

Reply #790142 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He didn't even mention Goulding either.

Reply #790160 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Trimble and Goulding are shocking floppers

I'm not excusing it at all- I'm no fan of flopping whether of the CG 43 or Wagstaff variety

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum

There are solutions I've proposed. (Post game video review and sanctions).

The NBL's solutions have been half baked failures.

Such is life.

Reply #790193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754