Anonymous
Years ago

McCarron scoring woes

McCarron with zero points in a clutch game is a worry for Melb. Yes his defence is great and rebounds well at times, but he has to be a threat if Melbourne are to win. Goulding started the season well, but has also slowed down, so with Mitch giving zero at one end, are Melbourne overpaying for zero production? Discuss

Topic #46818 | Report this topic

Too much money making Mitch McCarron.

Reply #789988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His defence is overrated, could not mark White in the GF or Patterson today, he can mark guards but not good threes.

Reply #789993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mark" smh

Reply #789995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, Goulding with only 7 is terrible

Reply #789996 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Gliddon with one.

Reply #790003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ This inst about Gliddon or any other player that scores 0 (Especially 36's players) its about sticking it to MU and how bad McCarron is...

Reply #790008 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

McCarron is not and never has been a good scorer

Even his best season in 17-18,on a Cairns team devoid of good scoring options, he averaged 11 points in 31 minutes a game.

Reply #790018 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Agreed, disappointing season from McCarron. From memory he was recruited on a long-term deal and sold on the idea of playing extensive time at the point with potential higher Boomer honours an objective. Simply hasn't happened. I feel he just doesn’t know his role in the team, much like others. The way the team was constructed just wasn’t right. Time to get a genuine Aust PF (eg Motum) who can rebound, swap Trimble for a point for can actually run the team.

Reply #790061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Trimble's not the problem

Reply #790066 | Report this post

A career low night I believe :(

Reply #790070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble doesn't play on winning teams, so could be the problem.

Reply #790074 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

"^Trimble's not the problem”.

I disagree. I don't think Trimble can run a functional offence which incorporates other ball dominant scorers. This leaves someone like McCarron in complete limbo. He has been starved of the ball and has lost confidence.

Reply #790078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding has struggled getting his shots as well.

Reply #790080 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

McCarron could be used as a 1 man, if United got a play making 3 like Patterson or Hopson

Reply #790094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't guard 3’s because he’s not a 3!
Doesn’t have the height or the physical strength.
But when it comes to guarding Paterson, few in the league can when he’s playing like he did yesterday

Reply #790100 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

"McCarron could be used as a 1 man, if United got a play making 3 like Patterson or Hopson”

I think this scenario would make the most of his talent and is probably what he expected when he joined United.
this type of lineup would look far more balanced IMO:

C: Long/Pledger
PF: Motum/Barlow
SF: Hopson/Kidd
SG: Goulding/McDaniel
P: McCarron/lli

Reply #790102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same as Blanchfield at MU, just completely regressing standing around doing SFA. Look forward to mediocrity.

Reply #790114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could not agree more with original post. McCarron and Goulding have become passengers offensively. Goulding should at least be driving to the hoop and getting to the line but he does not do even this. Barlow has been pretty consistent but needs to be fed through dribble/pass penetration. Long has not established a dominant inside presence so this puts it all on Trimble and the new import. He seems more of a role player than a take charge player. Dismal end to what might have been.

Reply #790123 | Report this post

Goulding is the biggest disappointment for Melbourne yet some still rate him a boomer prospect.

Reply #790158 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Trimble uses a lot of the ball

CG shone for the Boomers playing the Patty Mills role, when he had a pass first PG in Delly

Reply #790194 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

It's like the responsibility for getting open, scoring, taking the team on the shoulders, etc was either given to the imports or they just took it away from the locals. Even though the locals are working hard, I just don't see them getting the same opportunities (or trying to take them) this season.

Given that you don't reply expect your centre to do a lot of passings that would suggest that Trimble is the problem. JMS's list looks very appealing, although I'd probably let Goulding look elsewhere because he's gone stale.

Reply #790195 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"From memory he was recruited on a long-term deal and sold on the idea of playing extensive time at the point"

I also remember hearing some thing like this JMS

He played point in Slovenia in the off season immediately before signing with United

Reply #790196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman from his nz days to now has always backed his imports ahead of locals. Nothing new there.

Reply #790203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754