Anonymous
Years ago

Kings Chairman Paul Smith's comments on Cats indigenous singlet

Thoughts on Paul Smith?

I actually enjoy his banter but I think he crossed the line with a comment he made on twitter about the wildcats indigenous singlet.

What do we think?

Topic #46820 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you share the tweets, give some factual evidence for people to have thoughts on, it's not going to be easy.

Reply #790091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's Paul Smith?

Reply #790092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't he the clothing brand? lol

Reply #790097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Utterly useless thread. NFI what you're talking about.

Reply #790119 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Mmmmm - as opposed to using the guise of indiginous cultural engagement and reconciliation to promote 9 championships, 33 finals appearances and a heavy travel schedule on a singlet."

He said the above, absolute flog of the highest order, this was designed by a former indigenous elder who played for the wildcats. This mongrel is just salty that his team have 0 history to place on a jersey.

Reply #790120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's extremely unprofessional and ignorant. If he’s going to criticise an indigenous artist, perhaps he could learn to spell the word. He’s usually quiet after a loss and posts rubbish after a win. He’s very arrogant.

Reply #790128 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If the Sixers got grief for offering free tickets to an artist then this should get the same attention.

Reply #790129 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Wow thats very unprofessional and arrogant. Perhaps he should be more concerned about how he will keep the Kings momentum going in the next few years. One strong year on and off the court means you still have a long way to go yet. A bit too soon to be flexing your muscles just yet.

And try to show some respect to his competitors, who do a better job anyway.

Reply #790135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith thinks that splashing cash around equals building a culture. It may impress the ignorant fans like Angus but in two years time, when they have replaced their entire roster again, those fans won't have anyone to identify with and they start losing interest.

Reply #790137 | Report this post

Outragist  
Years ago

Oh cool, anothet outrage of the week.

Reply #790141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. It a manufactured outraged and I don't know what Smith tweeted it.

Reply #790144 | Report this post

Hugh Jass  
Years ago

A nobody trying to be relevant.

Reply #790147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might be a no body and it might be manufactured outrage, describes all of us on this site, and like all of us on this site he's entitled to an opinion and it’s a very wealthy opinion not like most on here.

Reply #790169 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and it's a very wealthy opinion not like most on here.

Not sure if serious.

Reply #790174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you know all our incomes?
What makes Paul Smith better than the rest of us?
He is just a loud mouth rich cunt imo.

Reply #790179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The faceless insulting people on an internet forum. Must be great life

Reply #790183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you all talking about?

Reply #790207 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Was enough for wildcats to release an official statement.

Pretty disrespectful to release that statement publicly. The indigenous man who created the design has been strong leader in the community for many decades and an Order of Australia member.

Reply #790212 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats Statement
The Perth Wildcats are appalled by the ignorant statements made via Twitter regarding its Indigenous Round uniform design.
The comments are both highly offensive to the Perth Wildcats and disrespectful to leading Australian Indigenous Statesperson, Dr Richard Walley OAM - who developed the cultural narrative and designed the uniform.
The Wildcats believe the comments have unfortunately tainted the inaugural NBL Indigenous Round, in what has otherwise been a significant step forward in the journey of reconciliation for clubs and fans.

Reply #790215 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

If the NBL are going to turn a blind eye someone's got to call this out.

Reply #790220 | Report this post

Ok - Im still a bit lost - probably because im missing some of the context here. What did the design look like?

Was Smith intimating the design wasn't really what the round was about and was more promoting the wildcats record of finals appearances?

love t o have someone fill in the blanks

Reply #790227 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This is what Smith has an issue with

Reply #790230 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He had an issue with losing the game so decided to make comments attacking anything he could to make himself feel better.

Reply #790234 | Report this post

OldTimer  
Years ago

It's good to see a jersey with an actual meaning, rather than "Let's chuck a kangaroo on it"

Reply #790260 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Paul Smith accurately describes himself as a "simple bloke" and "know-it-all" in his Twitter bio.

Reply #790272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His daughter likes him...

No, seriously. His daughter likes almost every tweet of his.

Reply #790281 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Wildcats believe the comments have unfortunately tainted the inaugural NBL Indigenous Round

Inaugural indigenous round?

Reply #790284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #790286 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Okay just checked officially it is but the NBL have been having a round where teams where indigenous jerseys for at least a couple of years now.

Reply #790289 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Hawks initiated an indigenous themed game last season, and as a result of its success the league ran with it as a whole round this season

Reply #790293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is a great way to build of one club's initiative, and that's what makes his comments all the more bizarre. He's crapped all over indigenous round just because he can't handle losing

Reply #790295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith has been very good at the kings. He wants to keep off the piss when watching. He is certainly not the first person to make shit calls on Twitter, hello Donald Trump.

Reply #790309 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

The round was great. Really enjoyed it. Won't do anything to the people on the trains demanding people to get off because they are on their land.

Reply #790313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok boomer.

Reply #790314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league is now investigating the comments.

Reply #790318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just another yuppie boomer cocksucker

Reply #790321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strongly disagree with what Smith said and believe his comments were disrespectful but can you punish someone for being a tool?

Reply #790322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strongly disagree with what Smith said and believe his comments were disrespectful but can you punish someone for being a tool?

Reply #790323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course you can

Reply #790324 | Report this post

Wowee  
Years ago

Offensive
Comments? How?
Silly and pointless comments? Yes.

Hard to see how the NBL can fine him though?

Perth is offended I guess.

Reply #790326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you mean "how"? How is it offensive?

How do you think?

Reply #790337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, how? The way i read it was he said wins and losses should not factor a celebration of indigenous culture?
Am I missing something?

Reply #790343 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Trashing an indigenous design, by an indigenous elder, that tells a story in an indigenous way...pretty offensive if you ask me.

Reply #790344 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I believe his (very poorly made) point was that the design should celebrate the local indigenous culture, and not Perth Wildcats basketball success. Still, he probably should have just kept that to himself, or said it to his mate sitting next to him instead. I have no problem with the design, but I do see where he was coming from also given the designs we were shown about other jerseys (although I only saw the Sixers and Taipans' stories myself, and didn't see the Wildcats one either - basing this on what I've read on Twitter).

Reply #790345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outrage era.

Reply #790346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The artist is a big part of the Wildcats history (even pre-dating the Wildcats) so the club is part of his life experience and culture, and he is perfectly entitled to base his art on that. This was made clear to Smith but he chose to ignore it.

Reply #790352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are people feeding the troll?

Reply #790354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL investigating? What?
Might be a silly opinion, but you reprimand someone for that it will be a slippery slope.

Reply #790355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the slippery slope this will lead to?

Reply #790357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See: Rugby Australia ^^^^

Reply #790358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not the first time Smith has behaved like a dickhead. Not sure why people insists on defending him.

He's a typical "twat made good", in that he thinks his business success to be an endorsement of his own wanker personality.
All it proves, is that it's possible to be both. A brilliant entrepreneur, and an ignorant cunt.

And it's not a question of manufacturing outrage.
Why do we even bother having an Indigenous round? The NBL, the teams, Artists, and Indigenous participants have put a huge amount of effort into this.
Only for this Cashed-up Bogan to shit all over it.

You can tell a lot about this tool, just from the backstory.

He will tell anyone who will listen that he's just a simple Wollongong boy. How he still lives there, and his family lives there, etc, etc.
Yet when it came to investing in the NBL, he chose to invest in their rivals the Kings.
Just imagine what a difference he could have made with the Hawks! But obviously they weren't big or Flashy enough for his Ego.

Rumour has it it tried to buy both Perth and United, and got laughed off.

Reply #790360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So because some parts of the Israel Folau scandal were handled poorly (on both sides) then they just shouldn't punish anyone? Ok yeah that makes sense.

Reply #790361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Punish as you see fit.
All i said was its a slippery slope and my point still stands.

Reply #790363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't a good point though. No one is asking for him to be drawn and quartered, but the league needs to take this one seriously.

Reply #790365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't think it is. I do.
See how that works?
Hence in life why opinions go numerous ways
I doubt the NBL has a rule or code of conduct relating to where you cant make a silly comment about someones jerseys.

Reply #790369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They most certainly do.

Reply #790371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool. Post the rule about "wrong think" please

Reply #790373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will come under the Code of Conduct, the same rule they always use for these issues, like when Matt Walsh blew his stack at the boss in public.

Reply #790374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slippery slope.

Reply #790375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah ok, I'm with you now. See, earlier you just said slippery slope twice and nothing else, and it didn't make sense. But now that you've said it a third time... Well, I'm convinced!

Reply #790377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slippery slope

Reply #790379 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I would love to see a king's jersey with their history, going broke and choking.

Reply #790381 | Report this post

Hoping Sydney choke in playoffs.

Reply #790387 | Report this post

MelbU43  
Years ago

Perths city jersey should be neck tattoos, utes, yobbos and mining tools.

Reply #790388 | Report this post

At least Melbourne have AFL to look forward to.
Neither of their teams will be participating in playoffs.

Reply #790391 | Report this post

MelbU43  
Years ago

Ever wonder why Perth fans are never happy?

https://7news.com.au/news/wa/wa-the-most-racist-and-least-happy-state-in-australia-report-finds-c-587048.amp

What a great place!

Reply #790393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because people oppose migration does not make them racist, don't let the lefty's brainwash you.

Right now I don't want Chinese coming here because of the coronavirus, let me guess though that makes me racist?

Reply #790394 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I would love to see a king's jersey with their history, going broke and choking.

Where do I order?

Reply #790396 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ever wonder why Perth fans are never happy?

https://7news.com.au/news/wa/wa-the-most-racist-and-least-happy-state-in-australia-report-finds-c-587048.amp

What a great place!

Wow BREAKING NEWS stop the presses! It's always been like this over here in Perth - the city and state may as well be on another continent as it's not like the rest of the country or even of this planet at times - we don't need a news article to tell what we already know. I've written previously about why the Red Army lives vicariously through the NBL. At least let us have this one thing. We don't really have anything else.

You clearly thought the article would be some sort of revelation and insulting.

Reply #790398 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perths city jersey should be neck tattoos, utes, yobbos and mining tools.

I'll add it to my basket now with the Violet Crumbles limited edition order. Luckily I didn't hit buy yet.

Hoops coming up with some pretty strong alternate jersey designs tonight.

Reply #790399 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

"https://7news.com.au/news/wa/wa-the-most-racist-and-least-happy-state-in-australia-report-finds-c-587048.amp"

Oof, and if you follow the link they surveyed a whopping 3,533 people nationally.

Reply #790400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Angus. Uniforms were supposed to reflect heritage and culture. But they just created something about the club. An elder is just some older person. Rather cynical effort by Perth. The Sydney guy should have kept his mouth shut not for him to comment on another club. Average effort by Perth, stupid by Sydney. But good way to spice up the grandfinal. All a storm in a teacup though.

Reply #790401 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Well it seems you have all missed the way his comments shit all over what the NBL is trying to promote with Indigenous round. A rich white guy (through his tweeting) is telling a local Aboriginal elder what is culturally appropriate for him to represent in his local teams Indigenous jersey... I mean ffs it is the absolute opposite of unity. The wildcats history and connection to Aboriginal people is told through the jersey, it demonstrates unity by sharing in the teams success, not to mention the close links to the Wildcats origin and Western Australian Aboriginals were part of that origin. Yet (after a loss) the rich white guy dictates to the Aboriginal elder how to do his culture properly.... How anyone can support his comments shows a complete lack of understanding of what his tweet actually implied (at best) and at worst... i'll Leave that unfinished.

Reply #790402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Uniforms were supposed to reflect heritage and culture."

Perth's did, and ironically, it represented reconciliation through sport, which is something Smith criticised the jersey for not doing.

Reply #790405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly shocking people from Perth are racist.

Reply #790407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh?

Reply #790410 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

This guy couldn't be a bigger dickhead and it's getting worse and worse as the tail end of the season goes on...

Even if he thought that he had a valid point (which I don't think he did, several points missed, which were very obvious) he didn't have enough common sense to leave it until it wouldn't be perceived as sour grapes... Which just adds to the dickheadery...

Seriously, if I had any feeling for the Kings left this season, I'd be bigly embarrassed...

That being said, I don't know if the NBL can punish someone for being an insulting dickhead when it was directed more towards the organisation than the elder, even though it was hugely inappropriate and insulting to everyone involved... If they did that, then they'd have to bring in Bogues to the headmasters office a lot more often...

Reply #790413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He said mean things. Punish him!!!!!

Reply #790420 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

J, I thought you were talking about Trump for a while there. Just change a few words here and there, and there's no difference between them.

Reply #790424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He said mean things. Punish him!!!!!"

He didn't say mean things. he said completely disrespectful things to an Indigenous artist in Indigenous Round. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a round like that if an club owner is going to shit all over it.

Reply #790425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He said something "some" people find disrespectful. Punish him!!!!!!!

Reply #790426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You obviously don't have an issue with the comments and thats good for you. Doesn't mean others don't.

Reply #790428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He said something "some" people find disrespectful. Punish him!!!!!!!"

Why have Indigenous Round if you're going to disrespect the Indigenous people that worked on it?

Reply #790429 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ignorance doesn't really matter on hoops.com.au but it does when it's someone with his influence, so just educate the guy. Not much point fining someone who is too clueless to even understand what was inappropriate about their tweet.

Reply #790431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There isn't much they can do except a fine and make him apologise. It will be a hollow apology because if he was genuinely sincere he would have done it by now.

If he refuses, strip the Kings of premiership points.

Reply #790432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahahahahahahha ^^^^^^ premiership points!

Reply #790433 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

Self-righteous indignation. Always the calling card for low IQ small-minded people. I don't like what you said does that mean you're bad and you should be punished. You sound like a bunch of five-year-olds.

Reply #790437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't even know whose side you're on with that drivel.

Reply #790439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bottom line is why even tweet in the first place? What's the point, other to underline what everybody already knows about you, which is that you’re a massive arrogant dickhead with money who thinks his opinion counts for more than others? All you’ve done is paint a target on your team’s back. I wonder what your coach and players think of what you’ve done? The whole thing was just a pointless exercise.

Reply #790441 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Why have it as a round at all?

Seems to cause more problems than it solves.

Reply #790443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why have it as a round at all?

Seems to cause more problems than it solves."

It causes problems because many people still have ignorant attitudes. You are one of those people.

Reply #790445 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The bottom line is why even tweet in the first place? What's the point

Engagement?
Personally I think it would be cool to see the owners more active on social media. Fan engagement from owners/staff/players/commentators is good for business.

Reply #790449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Personally I think it would be cool to see the owners more active on social media."

Even Bendat?

Reply #790450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Especially Bendat!

Reply #790452 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He would have been gold on Twitter

Reply #790458 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(terrible phrasing there. sorry!)

Reply #790459 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"I would love to see a king's jersey with their history, going broke and choking."

I know this was said as a facetious slight on the Kings, but it's actually a great idea. Paul Smith's opinion might come from a place of jealousy, but the idea to include the Wildcats history in the Indigenous round jersey was brilliant. The Kings story in Indigenous art form would be an even better story, structure-wise, than the monotonous success that is the Wildcats story. Kings have a legitimate 3 act structure in their storyline, including great highs (3-peat) and lows (underachieving, disappointing, overspending, folding). I don't how that story could be translated into art form, but if it is possible, it would surely be an interesting design. This would allow the Kings (Paul Smith) to take ownership and pride in overcoming their turbulent history rather than acting jealous of their rival's continued success.

Reply #790476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The plight of the Aboriginal people has been bad enough without adding Sydney's woes to it.

Reply #790477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings should have just got the Firepower logo re-worked to indigenous art to see if anyone noticed.

Reply #790481 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"The plight of the Aboriginal people has been bad enough without adding Sydney's woes to it."

Oh snap, that's a drop the mic moment right there. :O

Reply #790483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith has just released a statement which is an absolute load of shit. No apology, its all about protecting his reputation.

Reply #790487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should be fired and his assets taken and split up to people on hoops forum!

Reply #790495 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If I may summarise Smith's twitter response.

- I sent one of my staff with a WA connection to see if the Elder would talk to me.

- We agreed that I too had a passion to look forward to making a difference to indigenous communities (no details provided).

- My staff member emailed me that the Elder and I are now cool. (I am unsure why this is necessary given I just had that dialogue with the Elder.)

- I don't want to talk about this anymore. (Neither should anyone else.)

Reply #790499 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

His daughter likes him...

No, seriously. His daughter likes almost every tweet of his.

She's working for that inheritance.

The odd posts earlier in this thread by anon/random nicks being pro-Smith are probably her as well. Work it girl.

Reply #790502 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Classy stuff. The very ppl offended and outraged now involve a family member.
Grow up kids.
Go after Paul all you like, why bring a family member into it?
You are hypocrites of the highest order.

Reply #790550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is a family member who is openly supporting his comments off limits?

Reply #790552 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"the Elder and I are now cool"

Wait, hold on, if Paul Smith and Richard Walley settled this privately, by actually engaging in a productive conversation, where opinions can be explored in greater detail with appropriate context, rather than in more ambiguous 280 character bites, how can we all continue our vicarious outrage? Can someone please trawl through Paul Smith's Twitter to find other controversial opinions so we have more reasons to cancel him?

"The very ppl offended and outraged now involve a family member."

You obviously need a reminder of the rules.
Rule 1: Everyone must hold the same opinion on any sensitive matters. Anyone who deviates from this must be cancelled (henceforth known as "The Cancelled"). Once this happens, it is best to label them the enemy using pejorative terms and block any constructive dialogue.
Rule 2: While we strive for all people to hold the same opinion, if we discover anyone who holds the same opinions as The Cancelled -- even if a supportive family member -- can suddenly be defined as an enemy and are therefore open to criticism and cancellation too.
Rule 3: Hypocritical rules are always permitted as long as you project someone, somewhere might possibly feel *gasp* offended.

Reply #790569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot. Bloody. On.
Well said RJD.

Reply #790573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if you're impersonating Sam Newman or Rita Panahi, rjd.

Reply #790580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do those people hurt your feelings?
Awwww go have a lie down

Reply #790584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they don't hurt my feelings. I was just making a point that they make similar straw men arguments like rjd made above, where they call everyone snowflakes and virtue signallers while completely misrepresenting anything anyone has said.

Reply #790585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they might be living in your head

Reply #790590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Prue

Reply #790595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Peter Fitz

Reply #790602 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"they make similar straw men arguments like rjd made above, where they call everyone snowflakes and virtue signallers while completely misrepresenting anything anyone has said."

Arguing strawman while doing a strawman. Is that a parody too?

Reply #790608 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Self-righteous indignation. Always the calling card for low IQ small-minded people. I don't like what you said does that mean you're bad and you should be punished"

Wow, that's the best defence you could come up with it? Sad

Reply #790609 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

The truth is like a lion. It doesn't need defending. You just have to let it loose and it will defend itself. But I think you just proved his point.

Reply #790614 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Been sanctioned. Comments found to breach the leagues code of conduct, fined $5000 with $2500 suspended for 12 months. The money donated to Australian Indigenous Basketball. Also suspended for 1 NBL game which has been suspended for 12 months.

Is this a punishment?

Reply #790886 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #790888 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754