Isaac
Years ago

Kings chairman Paul Smith sanctioned by NBL

$5k fine, $2.5k suspended for 12 months. Fine will be donated by the NBL to Australian Indigenous Basketball.

Also suspended for one game, though that has been suspended for 12 months. He has until Feb 11 to lodge an appeal.

Topic #46837 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

To answer Senator11's question...is it a punishment? Yes. Does it impact him? Probably not. Does it feel like the NBL really showed any backbone by strongly condemning his remarks? Absolutely not.

Will he appeal? Lets see if his ego allows him to let it go.

Reply #790892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh the good old free speech.

Reply #790893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ahh the good old free speech."

That isn't an argument for his comments I assume?

Reply #790894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No his comment was wrong but when Falou, Hanson and plenty of others start throwing their diatribe around that's ok. It’s all hypocritical.

Reply #790896 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Wow crazy he got a fine for the tweet

Reply #790897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No his comment was wrong but when Falou, Hanson and plenty of others start throwing their diatribe around that's ok. It's all hypocritical."

Its not ok or hypocritical, its just that there are different rules depending on what organisation you work for. The rules of the NBL are different to the rules of a politician representing their constituents.

Reply #790898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow crazy he got a fine for the tweet"

What do you think his punishment should have been, and why?

Reply #790899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL should make the code of conduct public. Until then we can only speculate on what was breached

Reply #790900 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Ok, so a fine of that size won't kill him, but neither should it. I think its appropriate.
Gleeson got $500 for pushing Bogut, so I think the scale is substantial enough.

Backbone by the League? They handed out a substantial fine, over comments on twitter. Personally I'm surprised and gratified they went that far.

Reply #790904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems like his comments were more a cheap shot at Perth, but not the Indigenous?

I wonder if he will appeal

Reply #790908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Backbone by the League? They handed out a substantial fine, over comments on twitter. "

They didn't condemn the remarks.

"It seems like his comments were more a cheap shot at Perth, but not the Indigenous?"

He was having a dig at Perth, but in doing so he was completely disrespectful towards the artist.

Reply #790909 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'm not sure what kind of punishment people were expecting. Did they want him and his progeny for the next 10 generations banned from all basketball for life or something? The guy made some clearly inappropriate comments on Twitter. They were comments that were not particularly open minded and seemed more of a stab at the Perth Wildcats being proud of their history than anything particularly racist. But fair enough, he made an inappropriate comment on a touchy subject and he's been punished in a measured and reasonable way.

"Does it feel like the NBL really showed any backbone by strongly condemning his remarks? Absolutely not."

Once again, not sure that the comments need to be burned into history with the NBL's strong and overblown 'condemnation'. He made a dickhead comment. That is literally all that happened here. He didn't call for another stolen generation or something.

Reply #790910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"anything particularly racist."

No one said it was.

"he made an inappropriate comment on a touchy subject "

Its not a touchy subject - he wanted to have a potshot at Perth because he's a sore loser (thats fine, good luck to him) but in doing so he insulted one of the artists involved in Indigenous Round. He thought he was being clever but actually thrust the league into a negative spotlight. Thankfully, a very strong majority of the league's followers rightly condemned him.

"He didn't call for another stolen generation or something."

On one hand, you don't want anyone to overreact but at the same time you completely ignore the context of what was said.

Reply #790913 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Not sure why that tweet deserves a sanction?

Reply #790915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course you don't. You think he deserves his own OAM for critising an Indigenous person

Reply #790918 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Not sure his criticisms where of the artiest of aboriginal people/persons at all if you look at what he actually tweeted.

Reply #790925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not sure his criticisms where of the artiest of aboriginal people/persons at all if you look at what he actually tweeted."

This has been explained many times.

Reply #790926 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The League did enough to show they disapproved of his comments in my opinion

Reply #790947 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Guess paul won't have as much Lunch money for Friday’s usual long lunch.

Reply #790951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not enough.
He should recieve Jail time also

Reply #790955 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"They didn't condemn the remarks"

They fined him $2.5~5k for the comments
What did you want, a public flogging?

Reply #790968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can people still not understand what was wrong with his comments... explained so many times

Reply #790972 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haven't paid that much attention, looking at the blokes twitter account, definitely one of the weirder blokes rolling around.

That picture with hutchies face wtf.

It seems like the gripe here is that the design of Perth's top reflected its success/number of championships, effectively "gloating"?

Putting aside a reasonable argument of "who cares if they wanted that in their design", most tops have some sort of fluffy representation of the club, iconic city reference, and a reference to the native people? How dissimilar is Perth's top really? I can't imagine that much!

I believe the 36ers was "strength", Torrens River, Kaurna People as their main reference points in the art.

Reply #790978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the 36ers also references the road or their journey to the finals. Not gloating but still referencing the team.

The obvious difference is Adelaide didn't beat Sydney on the weekend so it wasn't worth complaining about.

Reply #790979 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Adelaide's jersey also had an Eftpos logo on it.

Reply #790984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Perthworld smart arse replies in here.? Or any of their inbred family?

Reply #790985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

City round jerseys ok to criticize tho,
Right?

Reply #790994 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No Perthworld smart arse replies in here.?

I'm quietly and eagerly awaiting Reality's next post.

Reply #790998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality and Perthworld should get a room they both enjoy trolling others.

Reply #791008 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'After the Kings' loss to the defending champions last week, Smith claimed Perth had used the jersey to promote the club's on-court history.'

... "using the guise of indigenous (sic) cultural engagement and reconciliation to promote 9 championships, 33 finals appearances and a heavy travel schedule on a singlet".

'The Wildcats later condemned the comments over the jersey as offensive and disrespectful, prompting the NBL to investigate the matter.'

"The Wildcats believe the comments have unfortunately tainted the inaugural NBL Indigenous Round, in what has otherwise been a significant step forward in the journey of reconciliation for clubs and fans."

'The NBL ruled Smith's tweets had breached the league's code of conduct, however the Kings owner has until next Tuesday to appeal the decision.'

Lots of opinions over this incident, I have just pasted the tweet itself and what happened to trigger this action, it appears very sad that the ignorance of how such comments can be hurtful to indigenous culture is still evident in our society. That said, perhaps now is the time to continue educating our community about the Australian indigenous culture more than we are doing, especially where recent policy appears to preference protecting religious dogma ahead of our culture and history...

Reply #791014 | Report this post

RealityCheck  
Years ago

I think there are too many politically correct muppets here.

His comments weren't derogatory towards Indigenous peoples. He was critical of the artwork, and the Perth organisation. If it was Disney round, and he made a comment about the jersey would the same response ensued?

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with disliking an artwork, it happens every day in galleries. If you like aboriginal artists, go and buy one of their works like I did and put your money where your mouth is. They need your help to stay afloat more than your help to make a multimillionaire pay a $2500 fine.

Reply #791017 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

You're a moron, the comments are culturally insensitive basically telling an indigenous elder their own interpretation of indigenous culture coupled with the Wildcats success was in actual fact not indigenous. You're the muppet.

Reply #791020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"His comments weren't derogatory towards Indigenous peoples. He was critical of the artwork, and the Perth organisation."

They were condescending towards an Indigenous person, in the middle of Indigenous Round. That is the issue and always has been.

It's nothing to do with political correctness, stop using the same tired old reasons to ignore the point being made.

Reply #791021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realitycheck, who's art did you buy?

Reply #791022 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't get why people bother bating this type of personality, if someone is stubbornly ignorant:

1) They won't stop doing what they're doing, that's how stubborness works; and
2) They don't have it in them to think things through properly, that's how ignorance works

The two characteristics go hand in hand. The moment someone prefaces an argument "political correctness muppets" just need to wash your hands and say that this person is a lost cause, the prevailing educated mainstream will kick them to the corner where they can shout at brick walls while everyone else keeps on moving forward.

Reply #791024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality thinks Aboriginal art is Kevin Bloody Wilson's "Living Next Door to Alan."

Reply #791026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The moment someone prefaces an argument "political correctness muppets" just need to wash your hands and say that this person is a lost cause"

Can we extend that to people who call others snowflakes, woke and virtue signallers?

Reply #791027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nigeeeeellllllllll fucking legeeendddddddd

Reply #791028 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@RealityCheck, the following words were used in the tweet: 'using the guise of indigenous (sic) cultural engagement and reconciliation'

If it was just about the colours or the art work as you have blurted, I would immediately relate to it.

However you appear to have either completely missed the point of the issue or you are just as plainly ignorant as he apparently has been posting it!

If he had only said he personally didn't like the colours or the design, no one would care, but he was explicit in his wording, care to re-read it perhaps.........

Reply #791032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mistake, I assumed the above ignorant post was from Reality, not RealityCheck.

Why do all these racists who hide in plain sight always use names such as "Reality" or "TruthTeller" or "Saysitlikeitis" or "Donald Trump"?

Reply #791033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said KET

Reply #791034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone got a link to his supposed falling out with Weaver?

Apparently it's on twitter, but I can't see anything

Reply #791068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see anything. Where did you hear that?

Reply #791092 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754