Isaac
Years ago

Four team deal? Capela to Atlanta, RoCo to Rockets

The Houston Rockets acquired the Minnesota Timberwolves' Robert Covington and traded center Clint Capela to the Atlanta Hawks as part of a four-team, 12-player deal on Tuesday night, league sources told ESPN.

One of the NBA's most expansive trades in nearly 20 years saw the Timberwolves acquire two first-round picks, including Houston's 2020 pick, which they moved on to the Denver Nuggets for guard Malik Beasley and forward Juan Hernangomez, sources said.

The Timberwolves keep the best available first-round pick in the trade deadline marketplace: Atlanta's 2020 first-round pick via the Brooklyn Nets. Denver gets Houston's 2020 first-round pick; the Nuggets are expected to be active offering it in deals to continue upgrading a roster that is third in the Western Conference standings.

Among the trade details, sources told ESPN:

Minnesota also acquires Atlanta's Evan Turner and Denver's Jarred Vanderbilt.

Denver acquires Minnesota guard Shabazz Napier, forward Keita Bates-Diop, forward Noah Vonleh and injured guard Gerald Green.

Atlanta acquires Houston center Nene Hilario.

Houston also receives Jordan Bell from Minnesota and an Atlanta 2024 second-round pick via the Golden State Warriors.

Atlanta is waiving Chandler Parsons and his expiring $25.1 million contract to create roster space to complete the four-team trade.
Source

Seems solid for Atlanta?

Is this deal finalised? Some people are talking about adding a fifth team to bring a centre to the Rockets.

Topic #46841 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Atlanta looking good for the future with a young team.

Reply #791023 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Capela is overrated, cant stretch the floor... DeAndre Jordan 2.0

Covington for Houston I like, underrated 3&D player who doesnt need a lot of shots, perfect in an offence run by 2 ball hogs (Harden & Westbrick).

Going to be interesting to watch Houston playing non stop small ball, Jordan Bell being their Centre now?

Beasley for the T-Wolves is a good pickup, they are in need of a major change up and if they are serious about KAT being the leader of the team they need to blow it up and build around him with better pieces.

Reply #791025 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Just another luxury tax dodge at the trade deadline by the tight Rockets owner.

Reply #791037 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Capela could help Atlanta defensively once he is fit, but what does it mean for Collins future in Atlanta? Not sure they can play those two together much.

I'm interested to see what Beasley can do with more minutes in Minnesota. He looked good last season. Could be turned into a nice sixth man in time.

I'm so glad I'm not a Rockets supporter. Morey would drive me mad with his constant deal making. They are now a poor man's Celtics, playing small ball, but with weaker wings (esp defensively). Eg, Covington v Tatum; House v Hayward; Westbrook v Brown. (Westbrook is not the player he was, esp defensively and doesn't stretch the floor as well as Brown)

The Rockets will still be good, because Harden is such an offensive force, but small ball is only going to take them so far, especially when they are horrendous defensively. Without a better option, I wouldn't have given up on Capela, who is only 25 and has shown the ability to protect the rim. (I suspect their defensive woes are their wing players and system rather than Capela).

Reply #791038 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Craig, Capela doesn't need to stretch the floor for Atlanta, he simply needs to execute P&R actions with Trae.

Beantown, I too am curious to see how Capela works with Collins. No mention from the Hawks about moving him, only that they didn't want him continuing to play the big minutes he was at centre and would prefer him in the 4 spot and occasionally at centre when it worked to the Hawks advantage.

FWIW, I think they will be fine as Collins can step out to the perimeter, but I am a bias Hawks fan so I want it to be a success!

Reply #791147 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big Ads, I can't read it as I'm not an Athletic subscriber, but just saw this article...

https://theathletic.com/1581860/2020/02/04/what-a-clint-capela-trade-could-mean-for-the-hawks-and-john-collins/

In his favour, Collins is shooting a tick under 36% from three this season, so he might be able to stretch the floor a bit offensively. The bigger problem may be defensively, if he can't guard guys like Tatum and Simmons on the perimeter.

Reply #791236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Bolden finished in the NBA? PHILLYS need to cut 2 squad players

Reply #791241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754