Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Snakes Feb 8

Joey Wright's 599th game as an NBL coach looks like it is his last home game as Sixers coach. Plenty of cat and mouse stuff happening. It's also Brendan Teys' 200th game in Sixers colours. So congratulations to the Sixers captain.

Cairns are sitting pretty in 3rd and look like that is where they will stay. It's been a great effort from them this season and it's been built on solid imports. They can't rest on their laurels this game with the Sixers. They have been able to hypnotise their opposition this season.

The last home game means everyone has the opportunity to get merch. cheap and some of the jerseys will be collectors items after this season. The Sixers have the opportunity to put pressure on Melbourne with a win today, but sadly for Sixers fans, we need to have the tourniquets on hold and the RAH prepped for anti-venom. Cairns are playing with a lot more passion and their rotations just seem to work. Sixers fans need to bring a pretty big pungi today if they have any hope of charming a win.

Cairns by 2

Topic #46854 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns by plenty. And deservedly so. Adelaide have been consistently inconsistent, now add to that off court pettiness drama and lack of professionalism in addressing the Joey wright situation. I like the snakes, like how they play for each other, I hope they win and have a deep run! Taipans by 9+

Reply #791530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide to win this one.
Final win of season for them.

Reply #791531 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I could see the Sixers getting up tonight sending Joey out on a high as a sign of appreciation for everything he's done.

Sixers by 5

Reply #791541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, that sounds nice, but I don't think this particular group is all that appreciative of a whole bunch of off court stuff, including the coach. Maybe they win out of a sense of relief!?

Reply #791543 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Adelaide to show joey how much he is valued. Sixers by 10. Will disapprove all the negative crap and egg on faeces of those who berate. Joey done more good for sixers than last 3 coaches combined. Always had teams that become competitive regardless of talent and generally over achieve on all the doomsayers. Sixers to upset both cairns and Perth. Then try to sack joey.

Reply #791544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide won't beat Perth.

Reply #791545 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Adelaide have beaten Perth in Perth. No fear of failure. Perth to have slight pre final lapse.

Reply #791548 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Adelaide won't beat Perth.

They did last time, comfortably.

btw we're 2-1 against them this season.

Reply #791551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't mean much now though Zodiac.

Reply #791552 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide have packed it in imo

Reply #791554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anon guy who writes in dot point form always cracks me up. Pretty sure 3 coaches ago was Phil Smyth or thereabouts, that coach won titles.

Reply #791556 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Check out his suggestion in the New Sixers coach thread.

Reply #791559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would we bother doing that Matt.

Reply #791562 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At the AFL, the Coach of the struggling team steps down and that team always wins the next game (s)...…..

Reply #791563 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dont the world revolt about PS way back then... calling for blood. Joey righted the ship brought back Sixers competitiveness. Oh how easily people forget.

Reply #791565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd aid he has done more than the last 3 coaches combined. You were appropriately called out on it. Oh my how we forget what we have posted.

Reply #791568 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ok he done collectively more than 3 of the last 4 coaches if exclude golden era...

Reply #791608 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Come on Sixers rebound. Forcing snakes into errors. Liking lively - keep getting to line... cairns will give up easy fouls. Johnson and Griffin looking switched on.

Reply #791609 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Liking white dillion drimic johno Eric on court. Great spacing.

Reply #791610 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Attack the hoop. Rewards. Dillion reading game well. Jesus harry score those. It's a shoot out.

Reply #791611 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thank you nate Mate- burgers on yeah.

Reply #791612 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's a shoot out. Might suit randle and DJ second half. Snakes not interested in any D. Need my man The Griff big second half. Got to love teys and mc veigh instant offence.

Reply #791614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling playing like he knows he's not there next year. Gleeson could straighten him up.

Reply #791615 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Did McVeigh lose a bet?

Reply #791618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide just are not that good no matter who's coaching them. So many overrated players, starting with Griffin who can not be sixth man year.

Reply #791620 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Who is the commentator not Corey/Shane? Must he yell so much? So bad.

Reply #791624 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This performance is embarassing.

Is there something else to watch like Women's yacht racing or darts?

Reply #791625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh has hot hand - randle looks at him wide open and passes away from him. If I had to choose between getting rid of either wright or randle I would choose randle everyday

Reply #791626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HandleByRandle Baby!!!!!!!

Reply #791627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns arguably have three of the top 10 players in the league... Gonna be a tough out in the playoffs

Reply #791628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, thank f..k you aren't running the club. Your blind passion is compelling, but lacks intelligence in the decision making.

Reply #791633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers look out of sorts tonight

Randle has lost interest
Griffen wasn't in it.
Drmic could find his range
Johnson to busy arguing with refs
Kyei tried his best

Teyes can’t shoot or defend
Froling was distracted by hot chick who winked at him most of the time.
McVeigh was cool tonight .
Dillion has his moments
White ,done past due date

This team Joey said better defensive team than last year ,one of the worse I’ve seen
In my time.

Joey good coach ,sad to see him go ,Management is crap.

Expect mass exodus with players going to other clubs like Deng did.

Reply #791634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth WILL shit on Adelaide.

Reply #791635 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

Other than DJ and Drimic, the rest of the squad will be no loss if they aren't there next season.

Picking up players like White and Dillon is a kick in the guts to those who handed over their hard earned for season tickets.

I’ll be back next season but wouldn’t hold It against others who aren’t due to the way the club is being run.

Reply #791637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know why people claim Joey is a development coach, I saw very minor improvement in Deng over his entire time in the squad, tonight Deng actually played defense, got rebounds, made passes, he was at least 4 times the player he was in a 36ers uniform.
Have to say i never thought Deng would be worth much as an NBL player, but tonight was a revelation

Reply #791638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^.....really. Joey has developed Goulding; Creek; Sobey; Cadee; Gibbo; DJ. I can keep on going. Joey will be coaching the new expansion team and we will be bottom of the ladder. We were one good import away from finals this season given Moore's poor season and we now want to blow up the roster. Successful teams show stability and back the players and coaching staff in. Unfortunately all the coaches mentioned as replacements are far inferior than Joey. With our best Aussies in DJ and Drmic to go I cannot wait for next season and see the already poor atmosphere at the Entertainment Centre get worse. We will get the black tarp covering the other section next season when crowds drop further.

Reply #791646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be very surprised if any franchise in Australia give Joey another go at a coaching gig.

Reply #791647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree re development, Kelly is the real development coach, Krislovic, Deng, Djeric are now nbl players of reasonable standard. Who would have thought.

Reply #791649 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Reckon I mighta got some of the shots in that 36ers were missing.
They looked only moderate compared to Cairns.
(Deng gave his shoes to a young fan wearing 36ers deng 13 singlet. good to see)

Reply #791658 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Adelaide played with absolutely no heart last night. They just went through the motions, marking time until the season comes to an end.

Cairns on the other hand are far from being the most talented bunch in the NBL, but heart is one of the reasons they will be playing Finals this year and Adelaide won't.

Reply #791669 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No heart. Harsh. Certainly a drained group doing it tough.

Reply #791675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide played with zero heart or effort.

Reply #791676 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

DJ with 10 seasons at Adelaide for zero championships.

Time to go elsewhere?

Reply #791696 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If we let DJ go, where are we going to find similar level Aussie talent? He's literally the only Aussie player we have who is a standout in the NBL. I think it's smarter to build around the best player we have. Try to recruit that elusive defensive big man to put next to him. If you can find two good imports to put with Randle as well, then we've got maybe two years left with A level DJ to have a crack at a title. Otherwise we are talking blow it up and start again with young recruits. Its already 18 years since the last title - the club should be doing everything in its power to win now IMO.

Reply #791731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18 Years. Jesus.

Reply #791732 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers had packed it in as expected.

I'd imagine they try to win the championship every year, I’m not sure saying "try harder now" helps.

Removing a good coach isn’t the finest start per se but given the animosity between literally everyone - it’s a necessary start down that path.

Capital is the next part: they need the type of capital to lure a Beveridge type coach, three good imports and keep DJ

Reply #791736 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"I'd imagine they try to win the championship every year, I'm not sure saying "try harder now" helps."

If you're referring to my post, that wasn't the point I was making. I was replying to the suggestion that we move on from DJ, and I'm saying that would basically = rebuild instead of trying to win now.

Also, whilst I agree Joey is a good coach, I think we've seen enough of his defensive system/ ability to teach it to an array of different players, to know that we probably need a different voice to get us to a higher level year in, year out.

I'd say the same about the type of players and imports we've recruited. Joey hasn't valued the ability to shoot the 3 enough and consequently we just don't have the shooters to compete.

Thirdly, I would say that we don't have players who are able to consistently identify and create mismatches for us on offence. That's another thing the coach has failed to instill in our players for a long time.

So I would say lets "try harder" with a different coach. We're not guaranteed to get someone better than Joey, but I'd rather do that, than repeat the same mistakes that see us continue to fall short.

Reply #791760 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754