ExxE
Years ago

New Zealand Deserve More Credit For The Season They Have Had

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/02/10/the-new-zealand-breakers-deserve-more-credit/

Topic #46866 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a ridiculous article. To say they shouldn't be criticised for some of the off court decisions is stupid, and to blame the media when the Breakers PR guy welcomed the criticism is just bizarre.

They've done well to get where they are but they had plenty of hiccups along the way.

Reply #792111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings had as many injuries and there minor premiers, both organisations had new coaches and players, Weaver was also away with boomers.

Reply #792114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I agree with #111, I thought the article was pretty whack. They've done well to turn things around and possibly scrape into 4th spot (could still finish like 3rd last i believe?) But they've deserved most of the criticism they've copped this season. The teams been a basket case. It wasn't media making stuff up or just bashing NZ for no reason. They've had a huge number of issues. Their season's only just started to turn around lately when they seem to have cleaned up their act and remained scandal free in the last third of the season.

Once i saw who the article was written by though, I wasn't surprised at all. I've seen the kid who wrote it on Twitter before and he's a massive NZ and Matt Walsh fanboi. I've seen him defending Walsh and the Breakers a fair bit this season on Twitter.

Reply #792116 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't think it's unreasonable. They seemed to spend the first half of the season going from one problem to the next, so to be where they are now and back on an upswing has been an impressive effort. Even if they miss the playoffs they'll be ending the season on a fairly positive note.

Reply #792118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't seem to be the point of the article though.

Reply #792119 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What is the point of the article? It reads to me like the NZB have copped a lot of shit in the media and so this piece is looking from a glass half full angle instead.

Reply #792120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ nz supporter? The team has been much better without Webster and wouldn't be where it is without Hopson.

Reply #792123 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's a puff piece

Over the top

However, is true they've done an amazing job given their injuries

Hopson missed 7 games
Webster missed 15
Hampton 11
Loe 8
Delaney 8

Unlike Sydney with Taylor none of those guys were replaced except the short lived Rice Jr

Yet they're on the cusp of playoffs.

Shamir not far behind Kelly in COTY I reckon. Weaver 3rd, Gleeson 4th.

Reply #792135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Breakers fan and even I have to say that this piece is absurd. They've had an awesome turnaround on the court, but that comes down to how much talent they've got and Shamir's coaching. To say that they've built a "stable culture" is ludicrous.

The whole narrative that the Breakers have only been covered negatively is dumb. For the first half of the season they were covered negatively entirely because of factual, stupid self-inflicted stuff that can only be covered negatively.

For the second half of the season, nobody has been able to report anything bad about the Breakers because if you do Craig Stanaway just threatens to sue you.

They're still an atrocious organisation. A winning organisation for the moment, but still an unprofessional and atrocious one.

Reply #792147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh is a dick, but on court this team eventually became fun to watch. It's a puff piece, of every article like this was posted we’d be flooded throughout the year.

They haven’t made the playoffs yet, but with that import combo they’re likely!

Reply #792154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the start of the pre season commentators were saying that nz would be a second tier team, some commentators were saying nz would be a top tier team. At the same time commentators were telling us that Cairns would be a bottom dweller. So if anyone deserves credit it's Cairns.

Reply #792175 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754