FishCrow
Years ago

Adelaide BBall options

Please can you help with what's best
Metro Social BSA
Southern League, Adelaide Community BB - BSA, future pocket rockets, mars league, Westside etc. with so many leagues I am wondering if BSA are in a JV with some but not all? Why do they not support the clubs ?

Why do they compete with some of the clubs but have leagues with others like the Adelaide Community Basketball League & now the Metro Sonia’s League

Topic #46872 | Report this topic

FishCrow  
Years ago

Sorry that my post was not very clear
I am wondering what the BB Community think.

Is Adelaide BB confusing with so many leagues but only some of them supported by BSA.

You can also play SA amurture league or church league.

Reply #792316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supported?

Some are run by BSA for profit, some are run by Clubs/Associations who are affiliated with BSA, some are run by Rec Centres and Councils for profit and some are run by private companies for profit.

On that alone wouldn't you choose a BSA (money stays in bball) or Club/Association comp?

Or simply one that suits the most of your group based on location.

Reply #792351 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

I love lamp

Reply #792355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If new to the sport pick the local association comp that helps put money back into the sport.

Westside, ACBA, Pocket Rockets, Whatever the South/Southern domestic comp is called, same with the Sturt domestic comp. They all have pathways from beginner to elite.

For the sake of the sport, steer clear of the comps run by private companies. Funds don't get pumped back into the sport and cuts down the service clubs can provide.

Reply #792358 | Report this post

FishCrow  
Years ago

Thank you
Agreed that's it’s better to have the BB clubs run BB comps and financially support the sport.
So why do BSA have its own comps
See the Metro League recently launched which directly competes with the clubs in metro area that are affiliated with BSA.

In fact they have two leagues which compete against the clubs
Adelaide Community Basketball And now Metro BB are run by BSA and compete against the Future Stars, Westside, Sturt etc

Reply #792396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FishCrow I assume you've been involved interstate in basketball. The structure in SA is completely different. BSA do not compete because clubs do not run competitions that BSA do.

Reply #792401 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Hi - SA Amateur Basketball League is going into our 3rd season in 2020. SAABL is run on Saturdays from March to September, games are from 1 to 6pm.

Our games are played at St Peters College and Prince Alfred College. We will be aiming to run 4 Mens Grades this year - Div 1 to 4 with 8 to 10 teams in each grade ranging for all standards.

Check out our website https://saabl.com/ and if you are interested and want more information you can email [email protected].

Registrations are open here https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SAABL2020rego until Feb 29th.

Ben

Reply #792402 | Report this post

FishCrow  
Years ago

Yes, I have in Country Vic & for a short while in Perth

From what I can see, basketball South Australia run competitions for everything.
Juniors, Seniors, Social, Representative, Inclusive, Mini Ball, 3 on 3, Wheelchair, Masters teams.

My Son can play for the Rockets in a competition which is run by BSA and he can play in the social Pocket Rockets but he also can play in the Adelaide Community League or Mini ball/after school comps which BSA run. So confusing
Rockets would be best but it is a bigger commitment

I can play at the council venue in a comp run by BSA but Rockets do not get court space to run senior comps

From what I can see, the system is all over the place.

Doing research just makes for a very confusing situation for people who have been involved in Basketball but imagine what it might be like for people who are new to the sport

I can not see why the BSA could not support the associations and allow them to run the comps in all the best venues

Perhaps I am missing something

Reply #792406 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

It can be confusing! I suppose people find what works best for them in SA amongst the comps.

SA Church Basketball has options for both you and your son. I've found it a good fit to enjoy basketball a a good standard while balancing that commitment level.

SA Church Stars Basketball Club
District Juniors and Seniors
http://websites.sportstg.com/club_info.cgi?c=2-3-44223-0-0

SA Church Basketball Association
Saturday afternoons Juniors and Seniors
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-80-0-0-0

Reply #792492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leighton at least be honest. You are promoting SA Church because you're involved.

At least Ben made it clear he's involved in SAABL when promoting it.

Reply #792494 | Report this post

Leighton  
Years ago

For sure, wasn't hiding. I’m involved with SA Church. As I wrote I’ve found it a good fit.

Reply #792498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAABL is more for the higher quality level players, most teams are made of past and/or current PL players or players of those equivalent qualities. If you're just looking to play casually, any local social comp is fine. As for juniors, the SA Church comp and/or ACBA is decent for starters before district

Reply #792511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAABL is more for the higher quality level players, most teams are made of past and/or current PL players or players of those equivalent qualities. If you're just looking to play casually, any local social comp is fine. As for juniors, the SA Church comp and/or ACBA is decent for starters before district

Reply #792512 | Report this post

Lyn  
Years ago

Correct SAABL does have a few current and many ex premier league players in the Div 1 comp.

However, We have 3 other divisions that do not include Premier League players.

Nominations are now open

Reply #792724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at the person above who says BSA do not compete against clubs! They do! They fight to get into stadiums and lock clubs out. There is people in BSA who will tell others that association models don't work.

All the growth in the sport is done at club level in this state, BSA need to get out of the way and let clubs run local associations.

Reply #792732 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754