Jack Toft
Years ago

DisUnited v Taipans Feb 13

Round 20, the final round kicks off with the people's team taking on the Soy Boys from Tram City. Nothing really at stake for the Orange Army, they will finish 3rd regardless of the results this weekend so they can either play it cool, or else they can get out their magnifying glasses and burn the ants.

Melbourne have punched beneath their weight this season. Champion signings, big city budget, and all the trappings to boot. They're even had a cross town rival for local derbies so they don't have to travel as much. It's all gone belly up for the boys who can't even beat a certain regional city team this season. They are 0-3 against the Orange boys. I can't remember a season when Cairns have been so dominant over a Melbourne team. Has Mike Kelly found himself a whip? Where's the gimp suit?

Take nothing away from Cairns. These boys have done their fans proud.

United need a win this game to keep their chances of forcing a three way shootout at high noon alive. Just as CG43 pulls out his guns, a dozen bad ass dudes are riding their horses into town. They are travelling well and providing they don't take it easy this round stand a very good chance at a series clean sweep of United this season.

Melbourne will be playing out of their skin to win this, but the damage is done, even if they get a win, 4th spot is a bridge too far. Wave bye bye to the season boys..the soy has gone sour.

Cairns by 3.

Topic #46874 | Report this topic

Truuump  
Years ago

This game is uuuge

Reply #792370 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Soy references deliver yet again.

Reply #792372 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If we remember back to last season Cairns lead United going into the last quarter a couple of times so they aren't scared of United and long may that continue.

I'd love to see more of the bench guys from Cairns get a go, Anthony Fisher showed good signs during the blitz and then literally nothing all season and any more rust that can come off Noi will be priceless coming into playoffs.

What will Trimble and McCarron do against their old side?

I'm gonna predict Cairns by 10 as DisUnited crash and burn after half time

Reply #792373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United's season has looked finished for a while now. But they’re not dead just yet. Cairns to put them out of their misery and send them on holidays. Cairns by 6

Reply #792374 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Everyone is saying that Adelaide is going through the motions, but imagine an Adelaide v Melbourne game

Reply #792377 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Trimble been told he won't be back at United next year...wanted to engage a contract extension and United having none of it.

Reply #792378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fisher got plenty of opportunity in the opening rounds after the blitz as did the rest of the bench guys. Their +- and the team result was horrific as they coughed up huge leads and took 3 straight losses! They've been killing it since then so why would they change their rotation now? Back in your box please.

Reply #792381 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah no kidding re: Trimble. Would be shocked if Long or Trimble were back next season.

Reply #792383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but United’s playoff hopes are in their own hands? They win their next 2 games and they get the fourth regardless of other results?

Reply #792384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're kind of wrong as they also need to make sure they win both games by a combined margin within 3 or 4 points of whatever margin NZ get over SEM (I would expect a big win from NZ)

Reply #792386 | Report this post

Perthworld .  
Years ago

I'm going against popular opinion, Melbourne at home by 5.

Reply #792387 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

United can still crack fourth, but they need to win both games and hold %

Reply #792388 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

There's no way United are telling their imports that they are no chance to return next season, particulaly since they remain a chance for playoffs.

Of United imports (including Prather), i think Trimble and Kidd have the best chance of staying but need huge games to end the season, and make playoffs.

More hopeful than confident. But United in a close one.

Reply #792398 | Report this post

Mat  
Years ago

United by 6 and they will keep their finals hopes alive

Reply #792409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Nothing really at stake for the Orange Army, they will finish 3rd regardless of the results this weekend"

Nope.

Cairns can get to second if they win both games and Perth loses to Adelaide, with the Taipans needing to make up about a 13-point margin over those games, from NBL.

Reply #792410 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm sure United politely said "we are saving all contract negotiation talks until the offseason" before dialing up Cam Oliver and Scotty Machado's agents as soon as Trimble left the room.

Reply #792412 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

The Trimble recruitment just hasn't worked. Bringing him off the bench I think (despite the form turnaround) probably demonstrates where he’s at regarding 2021 onwards. From the outside it hasn’t clicked with Goulding or McCarron. I’d persist with Long, he just needs a really solid PF to be most effective as i think he gets frustrated with constant body contact and being the only rebounder.

Reply #792475 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

In my opinion, if they added a Cam Bairstow to the lineup next season and move Trimble on for a quality combo 3 (not Prather) they would be much better.

Reply #792476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs don't have to tell players anything till season end, no way Trimble been told anything.

Reply #792502 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perhaps there's a train of thought to not overreact, make a few smaller tweaks and keep Melo, Long.

There’s an element of injury woes to Prather, lack of chemistry, lack of confidence.

IMO sign a defensive import, and even a defensive backup guard (legitimately could look at Kevin White type and find a use)

If Melbourne can be more disruptive in defensive, and get a few stops it helps them to push the ball more and find that run and gun offence that will help Melo and Goulding get those offensive opportunities. Transition offence is where those two would work well together.

Small tweak to get those key D guys in and playing style might give the right opportunities to get the confidence and groove back to the likes of Melo

Reply #792506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ili is a defensive guard, so they were already thinking along those lines. Not sure adding someone like White would solve anything.

Reply #792509 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's more the long disruptive SF import that would be helpful

Reply #792510 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Agreed. Defence has been the major issue all year. People talk about lli as an elite on-ball defender and while he seems to put the effort in I've been pretty underwhelmed with his game. Silly turnovers and fouls, holds onto the ball too long and gets beaten regularly by the opposing point. Not sure how NZ thought he could be a starter a few years back.

Reply #792515 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Trimble back in Cairns next year with Long as Machado & Oliver in the NBA!
Mike Kelly will make it work!!

Reply #792516 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Melbourne Still a chance, with two home games.
If NZ and Brisbane both lose, then MU can make it by either winning both, or winning one and keeping percentage.
If NZ win, as I'd expect, then MU will need to win both and boost their percentage.
Really depends on how SEM play it. Hard to see them winning in NZ, and if they really roll over, could give SEM an unassailable % boost.

Be interesting to see how Cairns approach this... Do they still think 2nd is a chance??
Should THEY think strategically? Manage their starters against MU, then look to punish Brisbane?

Reply #792522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is out so real hard to see them do well in NZ...

Reply #792523 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If 76ers don't reach conference finals, I can see Brett Brown being moved out. I’m not sure if he’d settle for an assistant role after being HC for so long.

If DisUnited lose and miss the finals, I can see Dean Vickerman being moved out. Same comment.

What are the chances that Brett Brown will step into that United coaching spot? Would it be a good thing for the team, or for the league?

Thoughts?

Reply #792540 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

If United make it, is anyone giving them a chance to beat Sydney? I'll think they will win tonight and Sunday and a real chance of knocking of Sydney.

Casper has beaten united, if he doesn't light up I'll give united every chance.

Reply #792602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO any top 5 team has enough talent to win the chip if they hit form now

Reply #792604 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Casper has destroyed United this year and Sydney's dominated the last 3 contests

Sydney will beat United convincingly IMO- as long as Bogut's on the court and at least 75% fit.

Reply #792616 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"If NZ win, as I'd expect, then MU will need to win both and boost their percentage.
Really depends on how SEM play it. Hard to see them winning in NZ, and if they really roll over, could give SEM an unassailable % boost."

Obviously that should have said NZ could get an unassailable % boost.

Reply #792619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Be interesting to see how Cairns approach this... Do they still think 2nd is a chance??
Should THEY think strategically? Manage their starters against MU, then look to punish Brisbane?"

How would this "strategy" help Cairns? They can finish 2nd if they win twice and Perth lose. if they lose once, they finish third. Why would they not being trying to finish second and get HCA?

Reply #792622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Cairns should be trying to win both games this round.

Reply #792623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have already beaten Adelaide lol so cairns really only risk injury at this stage.

Reply #792625 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Flirting with form (Cairns) leading into finals is inevitably a bad recipe but perhaps could rest anyone sore mindful they play again in two days.

Reply #792630 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Long vs Oliver. #seeincredible

Reply #792644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are going to win this. Unfortunately.

Reply #792645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That quarter felt like it went for 5 mins.

Reply #792646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns looking slightly lethargic.

Reply #792647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne getting the calls as expected.

Reply #792648 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

This is some ... uncharacteristically sloppy defense from Cairns. They are scrambling everywhere, and leaving guys wide open. Maybe they have given up on the #2 seed.

Reply #792649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both sides looking nervous, Jawai and Barlow turning back the clock.

Reply #792651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne finally decided to play some defence.

Reply #792652 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Come on, refs. Let United win because they're the better team, not because you gave them a bit of help.

Some real inconsistency in the calling tonight. What IS consistent, however, is rewarding the flop, and allowing United defenders to foul the layup harder than Cairns are allowed to.

Reply #792655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are definitely not the better team.

Reply #792656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, hopefully the refs don't decide it. Cairns missing to many free throws.

Reply #792657 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Jawai looking very good.....subbed out, of course.....

Reply #792658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All 50-50 calls helping Melbourne. Long is not in the top few 5 men in the league, homicide no idea.

Reply #792659 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There's a home cooking feast over in Melbourne tonight.

Reply #792660 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Taipans shooting themselves in the foot too often

Reply #792661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns shiting there pants down the stretch, Oliver fired up to late.

Reply #792662 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Cairns killed themselves tonight. Melbourne shot the ball well, but just so many turnovers and sloppy defensive possessions for Cairns.

Reply #792663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldn't they show bubbles Oliver shaking hands instead of crowd shots. Poor tv coverage amateur

Reply #792664 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I really don't like United...but I hate Sydney even more and I feel Melbourne will have a better shot against them than Brisbane or NZ so I'm not upset by this result.

Does Dwayne Russell know any other way to express a moment than 'Huge' and 'massive ' such a joke of a commentator.

Reply #792665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, Melbourne take 4th spot. Should have been NZ but the NBL wants Melbourne in the playoffs.

Reply #792666 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Agreed as at least with a SYD-MEL semi one will be eliminated.

Reply #792667 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

but at least*

Reply #792668 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

My favourite Russell-isms are when he has no idea what has happened after a whistle blows, even when it is blindingly obvious. Has at least 2-3 moments of this per game he calls.

Reply #792670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way Melbourne will lose to SEM on Sunday. SEM will be without Creek and backing up from Friday. They are all but confirmed for 4th.

I hope Sydney destroy them.

Reply #792671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ -22 at the moment at 85 points for SEM. Tough for NZ to make it and put pressure on MEL.

Reply #792672 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It would be completely in character for United to now go out and blow it against SEM.

Reply #792675 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Would love to play the 'LK wants United in the playoffs' game but Cairns threw that away and Melb hit some Massive (got my Dwayne on) shots at the end. Really enjoyed that game...but I wish Oliver would have thrown a punch at the end instead of just tough talking as he backed away.

Reply #792676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone's 2nd team not so popular all of a sudden after letting United blow out the margin in the last 2 minutes!
United still a chance to ruin it themselves by losing to SEM on Sunday though

Reply #792677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a shame Cairns fell away at the end - Looked liked one team fighting for their lives and for the other a dead rubber - some terrible calls in the game - Lucky they deferred and let Vickerman ref the last ha ha - Not a good luck for the refs when the first call of the game was a shocker - Illi's feet moving and the attacker called for a charge - then the Kidd flop and the Barlow missed lay up - seems every week the standard of the players gets better and the standard of the officials gets worse -
final note - when you think you cannot dislike Goulding anymore, he proves you can - lucky for Mel he had decided to play some defence the last 2 games, skipped it the rest of the season.

Reply #792680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league bias toward Melbourne is so obvious. I'm not even talking about calls tonight, but just in general. Even in the scheduling.

Reply #792681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"when you think you cannot dislike Goulding anymore, he proves you can"

^ THIS!

Reply #792682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the equation is simple now. The Breakers need to beat SEM by 20 more points than United if they both win.
Brisbane hoping (dreaming) both NZ and United lose.

Reply #792683 | Report this post

Callisto 14  
Years ago

Talk about one sided reffing and one sided commentating. Anything to get Melbourne into the finals

Reply #792684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

19 fouls to 16 (in Cairns favour). Some dubious calls both ways, as always. If anything the refs put the whistle away a bit more than usual, which is a nice change and allowed for a more free-flowing game.
Finished earlier than usual too!

Reply #792685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game against Illawarra getting called off has cost the Breakers.

Reply #792687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ppls hate for Melb is real. Reffing wasn't one sided. Cairns are a better team but Melb was better and more desperate tonight. Deserved the W

Reply #792688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game against Illawarra getting called off has cost the Breakers.

How so?

Reply #792691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If NZ win tomorrow does that eliminate any chance Brisbane has?

Reply #792692 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Blaming the refs is a lazy response for tonight's game. Cairns were terrible. Worst they've looked since the first couple of rounds.

Reply #792693 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Brisbane would need to win their game by 60 or so points more than Breakers would win by tomorrow. They'd also need to win by 70 or so more than Melbourne if United beat the Phoenix.

Reply #792696 | Report this post

Matty R  
Years ago

Brisbane are done.
Looks like Melbourne will slide into fourth.

Reply #792697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Adelaide still a chance?

Reply #792698 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

"The game against Illawarra getting called off has cost the Breakers"

Sorry if I'm wrong on this, but weren’t they given a 65-52 win? That’s a good percentage boost, and a great outcome for NZ. If they don’t play finals I doubt they will be blaming that one.

Reply #792699 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Does Dwayne Russell know any other way to express a moment than 'Huge' and 'massive ' such a joke of a commentator.

That depends.

Can a moment be "SHA-BAM!" ?

Reply #792700 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Shamir might've thrown his glass of wine on the floor in disgust at those last 2 minutes, As United racked up much needed percentage

Quality win. In the box seat now.

Cairns had some unforced errors throughout the 4th. They weren't fully locked in. Still, that's what happens when one team has lots to play for and the other team has comparably much less.

Reply #792711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Melbourne are thumped in the playoffs not a very likeable team this season.

Dwayne mentioned the word 'baby' numerous times throughout the telecast, it made me very uncomfortable.

Reply #792718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Dwayne. Not even being sarcastic. He's hilarious.

Anytime someone attempts a 3 pointer slightly further away from the 3-point line, Dwayne loves to pull out a "HE'S TAKEN A SHOT FROM THE CARPARK!"

Reply #792720 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Jawai given only 12 minutes (16 points is a lot. In fact the teams second best scorer and the games 4th) . Melbourne caint help it if they're lucky..
Floppers rewared

Reply #792721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dwayne mentioned the word 'baby' numerous times throughout the telecast, it made me very uncomfortable."

How so?

Reply #792722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have to ask, then ist already too late for you.

Russell has zero feel for the game and gets super over the top excited over all the wrong things. I don't mind him as a footy commentator, but this venture is a fail imo.

Reply #792730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I agree with all of that. I'm just wondering why him saying "baby" made you uncomfortable.

Reply #792733 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I don't feel the refs were biased; what I hated was the inconsistency.

And, dare I mention it, rewarding simulations and flops (which players are STILL doing as though the refs haven’t learned anything during the season).

Reply #792740 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

"Does Dwayne Russell know any other way to express a moment than 'Huge' and 'massive ' such a joke of a commentator."

He calls the game as though he's trying to sell a crap product. The serious commentators (Santa, Gaze, Homocide, etc.) are what sells the league IMO.

Reply #792793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to see Melbourne get swept in the finals.

Reply #792806 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"How would this "strategy" help Cairns? They can finish 2nd if they win twice and Perth lose."
"Yeah Cairns should be trying to win both games this round."

Yeah? How'd that work out for ya?

One team was playing for their season, the other couldn't give a toss, and we've seen the result.

Be interesting to se if they are as disinterested against Brisbane?

Reply #792906 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If Jawai was given 25 minutes, then Cairns would have won.
Arithmetically speaking.
Seems they didn't care whether they won or not.

Reply #792997 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754