Jack Toft
Years ago

Sydney v Illawarra Feb 14

A bit of a dead rubber, but hey when two brothers get together on Valentines Day love is in the air.

Nothing in it for Sydney, but pain. They don't need the win, they don't need the risk. For them, it's like taking your brand new red sports car for a spin on a dirt road in the hills. They won't want the duco damaged and they won't want their car to slip into the barrier, or over the edge.

The Hawks season was over long before coronavirus was known to the world. It's great they have been putting up an effort and not totally capitulating, so tonight they have one final stand. Unlike the Kings, these guys have one point to prove and so have the potential to create an upset if Sydney start going through the motions. We saw it with Cairns last night. They had to potential to win that game, but kinda said "what the heck.." with 2 mins on the clock.

Illawarra have upset the Kings before this season and with this being the last game I have them well placed for an upset win if things go their way. If they bring a dozen red roses and some nice chocolates, on this day of love they might be able to sweep Sydney of their feet enough to have their way. Sadly for them, Sydney will do just enough to get the W.

Sydney, Sydney, Sydney.

Topic #46883 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra down to only Boone as import, other bloke went home, probably makes hawks fans happy. Yes kings could lose this if there half hearted, who's playing for kings will also be interesting, any players resting and is Didi, Moller or Bogut back. Kings saying all subject to medical clearance. Kings could still finish second if Perth win big and Sydney lose big.
Illawarra got contracts to play for, Blanchfield does well when he’s under no pressure re result, does Boone get another go there next season? Grida, Naar, got a bit to prove after having very up and down seasons.

Kings by 3 in what should be an entertaining game.

Reply #792727 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Haven't checked Kings social media for updates, but I'd expect Didi and Bogut to sit this one out, and Lisch to get big minutes. Lots of Taylor/Lisch/Cooks/Walker/Hunter I think.

Reply #792735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller is back, apparently. Does that mean Taylor is off the roster? I assume the Kings will keep him around as a training player or something.

Reply #792741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way Taylor has been playing for this team offensively & defensively I'm sure he stay in the lineup, don’t wanna mess up momentum ... these last couple of games playing more & guarding elite guards
Limited Naar (Not elite) 4-12, No assists
Limited Goulding 4-13
Limited Cotton 9-25, 2-12 from 3
Limited Roberson 7-21, 2 points in 4th/OT

Offensive Numbers have great last 5 games
Averaging 15.6 Mins Per
11.2 PPG
2 RPG
1.5 ASTG
70 FG% & 80% 3FG

They kid can play! He does the little things that contribute to wins that don’t always show up on the box score. That’s the player 36ers we’re getting but can’t turn down Randle because he was unproven. Remember he’s still a rookie he will be a hell of a player

Reply #792748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut and Moller back, Twitter saying Walker out, if true actually makes a lot sense.

Reply #792749 | Report this post

Matty R  
Years ago

* Walker injured? Keep Taylor.

Reply #792753 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sydney would be crazy if they risked players not 100% fit, but then its a good chance for match fitness

Reply #792754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For team balance Walker out and Taylor in seems a very smart move, certainly with the Lisch injuries of recent times. Kings seem to be making a lot smart moves with Smith and Weaver at the helm.

Reply #792755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walker is sick, not injured. Don't know if injury replacements work for players with the sniffles.

Reply #792756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the rules regarding injury replacements stated that once that player (Moller) returns, then the replacement (Taylor) can't suit up. But the replacement (Taylor) can replace another player with a season ending injury?

Maybe Koberulz can clear it up

Reply #792762 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe Walker just gets released and Taylor is "signed". Walker is barely playing even with Bogut out. He's good insurance inside, but I think having Cooks and Moller (if healthy) gives us enough versatility across the forward slots. Taylor has been playing well.

Reply #792766 | Report this post

Frenchy91  
Years ago

Taylor has signed with the Kings as a training player. As long as there is one injury (or illness lol) in the squad (apart from Louzada, as he's a Next Star) Taylor is free to suit up.

Walker will have a 4 week flu.

Reply #792776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final round of the season and the Kings find a new way to take the piss.

Reply #792777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't sign as a training player
You get three imports
Tate
Ware
Now Taylor

Reply #792779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar out injured for the hawks.

Reply #792784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had some nice moments Naar but if he is out it'll shorten there rotation which should give Dech, Glover, Grida more opportunity which strengthens Illawarra.

Reply #792788 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

man the hawks are that bad that they are getting murdered against a team who is not focused on this game at all
just delethe this club

Reply #792860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the kings have 4 imports now, a naturalised import, bogut former boomer and current boomer cooks. Wonder why they have been so good so far????

Reply #792862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talent clearly. Oh and good recruiting.

Reply #792866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad Sydney found a way to keep Taylor all season.
Didi will be instantly healthy in time for playoffs.

Nothing dodgy about Sydney at all.
Totally ok to upgrade Kuany with Cooks.
Totally ok with an import (Taylor) replacing injured Miller.
And now with playoffs upon us Walker is magically injured just in time to keep Taylor longer.

Didi playing into a good draft position.... Oh hang on he is already drafted lol.

Reply #792872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* Moller.

Reply #792873 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

For the above reason I hope the Kings die on their backsides.

Reply #792874 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Don't worry Perth fans, soon the True Blue fair dinkum Aussie battler Cotton will be counting as a local, so you guys can go on to sign two imports just to be fair, also.

Reply #792876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the consecutive meaningless Perth finals appearances and never once have Perth or any other team been #1 all season. Great record.

Reply #792877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being #1 all regular season doesn't Mean much unless you carry through in playoffs.

Reply #792886 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why the hell is Taylor allowed to play now that Moller is back? And Lisch too? They keep swapping out scrubs for Boomers and imports this is bullshit.

Isn't there a cap limit on your bench? So Kuany Kuany gets it in the neck for Xavier Cooks and now Lucas Walker gets tossed overboard for Deshon Taylor?

Then you throw in a 2 year pro & NBA draftee like Didi Louzada being counted as a Next Stars player when it's meant to be for high school kids.

I've seen some rank dodgy stuff in my time but the Kings are flat out taking the piss this season. It hurts going for Melb Utd but I hope they knock them out of the playoffs again.

Reply #792887 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Don't worry Perth fans, soon the True Blue fair dinkum Aussie battler Cotton will be counting as a local, so you guys can go on to sign two imports just to be fair, also.

Not sure what your point is.

Firstly everyone is having a go at the Kings not just the Perth fans, yet you can only retort with a Perth example as an asinine attempt at deflection.

Secondly, if you are comparing Perth's 'two' import example with King's current 4, how is this a come back? It's not.

Reply #792888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings will clean the slate with United. But they'll have some issues with the taipans in the GF.

Reply #792890 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Firstly everyone is having a go at the Kings not just the Perth fans, yet you can only retort with a Perth example as an asinine attempt at deflection."

To be fair it's hard to know where the anonymous user(s) are from, but from everything I've seen on social media the vast majority/almost entirety of it is from WA located folks, surprisingly.

"Secondly, if you are comparing Perth's 'two' import example with King's current 4, how is this a come back? It's not."

1. Ware
2. Tate
3. Taylor

You may not like Didi not counting as an import, but there is a precedence for it with Devon Hall with Cairns (and yes, complaints back then also until people actually saw him play).

Reply #792891 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You may not like Didi not counting as an import, but there is a precedence for it with Devon Hall with Cairns (and yes, complaints back then also until people actually saw him play).

Devon Hall was an import with Cairns not a Next Stars player. The only Next Stars player last season was Brian Bowen at the Kings.

Reply #792893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain how Perth have got two imports.

Plumlee nba.
Cotton
White
Hunt thrown aside for Plumlee.

Oh yeah how about Redage and Grace just off the top my head, imports playing as locals. The whole points system helped NZ and Perth for years and now it oh fucking Sydney are cheating.
Any one but Perth.

Reply #792895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is gastro considered an injury? Sydney using this as a reason to keep Taylor sounds shitty to me!

Reply #792900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any suggestion Boone and Anderssen retiring

Reply #792903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does is
Matter re:Taylor?

Once finals start Kings will have to sit someone if Moller and Lisch are fully healthy. Taylor signed as injury/prac player and has handled his role very well.

Whether he played or not vs Illawarra it would not have made a difference.

Some of the Kings hate here is with a blindfold

Reply #792935 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It matters because that was the rule. Once the replaced player returned from the injury the replacement couldn't stay on the roster. Yet another rule that has been conveniently torn up to benefit the Kings.

Reply #792940 | Report this post

Larry  
Years ago

I would love to see the rulebook you seem to be referring to.

Reply #792953 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would love to see the rulebook you seem to be referring to.

I'm sure the page has been torn out by now.

If you had been around longer than five minutes you would know that rule has been around for years.

Reply #792954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rules get made up by hoops experts, there is never any proof, normally Perth and Adelaide fans, Adelaide because there not successful and Perth because they don't like competition.
Kings would be quite with in the rules to keep Taylor now as he’s qualified and cut any player on there roster for him, that’s why clubs chose to imports early in season to get good replacements if required.

Reply #792973 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Adapt or die. And I'm guessing the rules are whatever the owner of the league says they are. And what that man wants most right now is that everyone puts the best most profitable product on the floor at all times and Sydney seems to be doing that better than most of the other teams. Besides, it's great for the league to have a cheating team to villify. Makes for more people showing up a screaming against them. Have to admit attendance goes up when Sydney comes to town. But the whole thing reminds me of the saying,...boy, you done beat that horse to death. And if the horse is dead, get off him.

Reply #792977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no rule book. Thats not Sydneys fault. Thats all Larry.

Reply #792980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley went back to bench yesterday with Lisch being available. Kings bench could probably finish between 4 and 6 in this league.

Kickett
Moller
Newley
Taylor
Bruce.

Reply #792991 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Besides, it's great for the league to have a cheating team to villify. Makes for more people showing up a screaming against them. Have to admit attendance goes up when Sydney comes to town.

Exactly. The sad thing is Kings fans don't get it and feel offended by the hate which actually then fuels the dislike of the team further. Works for me.

Reply #793014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to be offended about, I'd preferred to disliked and work within the rules than live in a country town of Perth with a chip on there shoulders where they spend more on there team than all but supporters think they all play for free because Perth is such a wonderful place. Lmao.

Reply #793020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol The definition of irony. Perf fans lecturing anybody else about anything in regards to "not getting it".

Reply #793021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually that would be the definition of hypocrisy but tell us more about what we don't get.

Reply #793025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spending for one.
Cotton is on half a million. Even your journo Lachie Reid said he was on $600k. Also you pay out Dario Hunt to get plumlee $$$$. You out bid Melbourne for Nick Kay.
Nothing wrong with spending it as they are worth it. But listening to Perth people cry about Sydney's budget is dumb when they easily spend the most. Put down the bias and just think for one moment. Look at the roster. $$$$

Reply #793032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton becoming Aussie sends his price tag even higher!
Will become the highest paid player in NBL history with his next contact

Reply #793035 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No that was Bogut.

Reply #793038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeRp ThAT wAS bOgUT

Reply #793043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its great for the NBL the cotton cant make the NBA in his prime!

Reply #793514 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754