Jack Toft
Years ago

Perth v Adelaide

It's a milestone game for the best coach Adelaide has had for the last 7 seasons. 500 games is a great achievement and one where Joey will have few people ahead of him.

Some say Perth have had a golden run home, but last time I checked we all have the same home and away games each. Fans of The Devils have booked their AL for finals and the Cats are in a plum-lee position to storm into the Grand Final. Some say they are Miles ahead...

Adelaide has been pretty much written off for this game, but Adelaide does like the Blue Stadium Perth built and lets not forget the Sixers ruined opening night all those seasons ago. It's a big game for Joey and there's a few Sixers wanting to put in a good performance as their agents start negotiations on Monday.

Adelaide with nothing to lose could make an upset happen and wouldn't we all love that, but Perth either loses by 20 or wins by 20. Like a piece of Qantas luggage, Adelaide have been lost this season and end up in India.

Perth by 20.

Topic #46890 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

This is a dead rubber. Perth will finish 2, Adelaide will finish 7th. Nothing will change that.

Be interesting to see what the approach is from each team.

Reply #792905 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Cats have a few sore bodies. White is out, Marto on limited minutes, Kay will be managed.
Wouldn't be surprised by an Adelaide win.

Reply #792917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing game, Perth should rest players or even play them limited minutes. Adelaide then could possibly win but who knows.

Guess ... Sixers by five for Joey.

Reply #792924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% Joeys last game

Reply #792925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth won't want to go into finals on a home loss. Adelaide have some many internal issues, they just want the season to end. They’re desperate to have this end. Perth by 10+ and that’s all she wrote for the 12-16 36ers.

Reply #792928 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Adelaide has the opportunity to be the only team this regular season to beat Perth 3 times

Reply #792929 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Will Joey get Gatoraded?

Reply #792930 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If Adelaide are to remove Joey, IMO they need to be swift:

1) By now have a decision whether you're wanting to keep Joey or not - Adelaide has been in a relatively stagnant position last 3-4 weeks, and they knew they weren't making the finals by last week. They should have a figured out position by now re their coaching going forward.
2) If they want to move on, then they needed to have coaching candidates and ideas by now too, and certainly this week.
3) Come Monday, chat with Joey, come end of the week announce he has moved on if he has
4) Get searching for a coach, no reason not to get it done as early as possible - it will help with player retention/signing new players
5) Quicker a coach is signed, quicker 36ers can make moves including re-signing Drmic if that's what they want to do

If Adelaide get its act together in an organised fashion, there's plenty of time without "rushing" to get it right. If they put the pieces in place nice and early, they can set their direction, re-sign players like Drmic without fighting off other NBL clubs and can set sights on recruiting players nice and early.

Reply #792939 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

KET, did you miss the bit where Isaac said they've already agreed to a figure?

Joey's just fucking with the owner on the way out re: I've got a contract as far as I'm concerned I'll still be the coach.

Reply #792944 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As much as I would like to see us take the season series 3-1 against Perth it was clear against Cairns we've packed it in and tonight will likely be about avoiding injury pending free agency. No need for Perth to go all out either they've got bigger fish to fry so I'm expecting a glorified scrimmage.

Perth by 8

Reply #792945 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Could be an "entertaining" game? Not much defensive pressure, a lot of guys looking to boost stats and their highlights reel.

Reply #792956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah agreed re players injuries. A lot of them are playing elsewhere in the NBL offseason. But as for player retention, by all means if a few want to walk, I'm happy with that. Full squad, lots of similar types and imports that either don’t pass or don’t play defense.

Reply #792959 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

DJ will want a big one though not just being at home but I bet he has plans on opting out for a new big contract.

Reply #792965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he does, a meaningless game against Perth at the death wont be enough to get him a deal lol

Big Aussie talent of any kind is rare. DJ is like a 4th import. Creek, the same, hence losing him was so brutal.

Reply #792966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ should never get another big deal from anyone. Biggest waste of talent in recent memory. He isn't as bad as Griffin but he plays only one end of the floor.

Reply #792967 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sixers to win.. as said many time Sixers match up very well DJ loves playing v Perth. Sixers have nothing to fear can play with gay abandon..
Expect randle to have huge impact - driven proud will want to show cotton he is the man.
Drmic overdue for big game.
500 joey will use all his tricks. Expects guys to really lift - Perth are thinking about other games ahead... no need for heroics... once Sixers get confidence flowing and realise Perthjust wanting game down expect run and gun bang bang bang. Harry frothing to be picking plums...

Reply #792969 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Sixers a special at $6.25. I've just thrown $5k on

Reply #792971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gay abandoned?

Reply #792974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also people that promote their gambling is just cringe.

Reply #792975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish I had so much money that I could just throw away $5k

Reply #792983 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Cotton out

Reply #792984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Could be an "entertaining" game? Not much defensive pressure, a lot of guys looking to boost stats and their highlights reel."

If you enjoy garbage time then I guess you might call that entertaining

Reply #792985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton out does make things interesting from a gambling point of view. Not sure where the cats score from?

Reply #792986 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Well at least it'll good to see some of the Cats development players get some serious minutes

Reply #792992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's going to be interesting...cotton out is huge on the offense we will have to play a completely different game no one has his ability to draw the double and if doubled able to not only create for himself but for others.

Reply #792993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys realise Manu is taking the piss.

Reply #792994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you sure? $6.25 with Cotton and White out sounds worth a sly fiddy to me

Reply #792996 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sixers to do a brissy blow perth away with slick hand brake off down hill skiing ball. Not white no cotton if correct. Sixers will own the split 3 - 1. Best team out of top 4.
Joey to show why best coach Sixers had in last 10 years and why his teams are fun to watch.
Another if only season....

Reply #793094 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Perth with 2 development players up in the first 5min...Does anyone need more proof of how little this game means to us.

Reply #793097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have brought in 2 new imports just for this game, at least, against adelaide they look like import standard :)

Reply #793100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez jack McVeigh is not up to it.

Reply #793102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How tall is travers really?
He's been listed anywhere from 6’4 to 6’9.

Reply #793106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks 6' 7" at least

Reply #793108 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

adelaide is pure garbage

Reply #793113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey best coach in the last 10 years? With the soldiers they are versing tonight and who is missing, to be down double digits shows that Sixers are barely NBL standard. Best team outside the top 4? Clearly you didn't buy your drugs with EFTPOS being in Adelaide bro.

Reply #793115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever these bench players are for Adelaide, just stop it. They aren't nbl players

Reply #793116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Versing...

Reply #793118 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

schoking

Reply #793119 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

I don't want to be that guy, but I fucking hate this Adelaide team.

Reply #793123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling has to be a major disappointment for Adelaide fans. Seemingly all the skills for a modern big man, yet not game smarts or of court smarts to get into shape, end of season and he looks out of shape.

Reply #793127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we please play the starters and stop giving minutes to the bench players, would be nice to try and actually have a go at winning this

Reply #793129 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

20 of Adelaide 39 shots have been from 3...bruise free basketball

Reply #793130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling sagging of Kay for a wide open three to guard the already guarded development player cutting is just smart basketball

Reply #793132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to respect joeys shit rotations he keeps coming up with. All the way until the end.

Reply #793137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great hustle by DJ for that rebound

Reply #793141 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Does Joey look at the sportsbet multis before the game and try and piss off as many people as he can?

Reply #793142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pozza!

Reply #793144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 mins to decide if a 3 counts in a dead rubber

Reply #793145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling two years at Adelaide, Adelaide two years out of the finals. Coincidence?

Reply #793147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #793148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers seriously trying to lose to these bench scrubs?

Reply #793150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank god this is the last time we have to see Joey. Joey, if you ever read this you have made this club so frustrating to support and I cannot wait to see that door close behind you. Good riddance.

Reply #793151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TEYS FFS PASS THE BALL

Joey Wright should also win NBL defensive player of the year, he's the best at stopping Jerome Randle

Reply #793152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sixers to do a brissy blow perth away with slick hand brake off down hill skiing ball. Not white no cotton if correct. Sixers will own the split 3 - 1. Best team out of top 4.
Joey to show why best coach Sixers had in last 10 years and why his teams are fun to watch."

Anon, hopefully you can piss off with Joey. Delusional flog.

Reply #793153 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

blatant fixing game.
Nice one adelaide, they can go on holidays with their pockets full of that betting money.

Reply #793155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sums up fatty Froling right there. Clean house Adelaide!

Reply #793156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baby Huey almost good enough to back down noted bruising power forward Wagstaff down on the block, with single coverage, very unluck to have the ring block his shot

Reply #793157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Joey, if you ever read this you have made this club so frustrating to support and I cannot wait to see that door close behind you."

Considering Marty Clarke was there before him, it's impossible that Joey made it any more frustrating.

Reply #793158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide didn't deserve for this season to end on a high note. GK has a lot of work to do. This offseason is very important.

Reply #793160 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide had packed up weeks ago.

Joey making a point benching Griffin after 2mins and not returning and Randle getting limited time.

Adelaide players are lazy, weak, immature and selfish they haven't played like a team much all year and that’s resulted in lots of players getting benched by Joey.

It’s been a piss poor year by ownership (relationships wise), Joey and the players. All of them. This offseason there needs to be some serious cultural rebuild

Reply #793161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic almost scored on the 18 year old, outstanding season

Reply #793162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Limp by Adelaide

Reply #793163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a joke Adelaide, lose to a bunch of no body's and can’t wven get close to holding 7.5 line after being 77-76 down with a few mins to play. Blatant fix

Reply #793164 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

goood fishing session you adelaide cu*ts

Reply #793165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this eliminate the Sixers?

Reply #793166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^hahaha

Reply #793168 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed, after Marty Clarke stunted our talent, Joey Wright was a godsend. He is a good coach no doubt it's just he lost the ear of the players last year and this year and that’s that his time is up. Also says a lot about some players. This isn’t a "coach is gone things will be better", the players need to get the shit together. They were awful individually and awful as a collective and I don’t know why any other NBL side would want any of the 36ers players the way they’ve conducted themselves this season.

Reply #793169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank good that's over. Boring season.

Reply #793173 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

Perth without any imports still too professional, play good team basketball no matter who is playing! I guess that's why they have been so successful over the last 3 decades! There players know they have to play hard or they don’t play at all and get moved on!! Amazing record of 33 years in a row making finals WOW

Reply #793174 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Perth without any imports still too professional"

Sorry, where in Australia is Plumlee from?

He played more minutes than the 36ers imports combined.

Reply #793176 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This was deplorable.

The Wildcats were not trying to win. Who would have thought Joey Wright was trying even harder not to win.

It's really hard to want Wright to stay.

Reply #793177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 positives from that game - no Heal, no Homicide

Reply #793179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fourth biggest payroll in the NBL and cannot make finals. How can you be anything but disappointed?

Reply #793180 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

I will correct that, Perth still too good even without this years MVP, last years grand final MVP, still win easy and will win the title once again because they play as a team and don't rely on individuals

Reply #793181 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

When was the MVP dinner? I thought it was yet to occur?

There is a way to say Perth is a successful and well run club without sounding like an idiot, you're just no good at it.

Reply #793182 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Refs handed Joey the game ball which he tossed back...dummy spit or pissed at his players. Looked like he was asked to stay for an interview which he shrugged off and went to the lockeroom

Reply #793183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There is a way to say Perth is a successful and well run club without sounding like an idiot, you're just no good at it."

I don't know, I thought he did a solid job of making his point while being respectful. I guess when you live in a town populated by bogans you may not be used to people being courteous.

Reply #793185 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Lovebroker, come on, is Griffin and Randle on the court any less frustrating?

My forehead has a permanent imprint of my hand due to these two

Reply #793186 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" when you live in a town populated by bogans you may not be used to people being courteous."

Melbourne is a pretty big city to be honest....

Reply #793187 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

Thats the way to sound like a looser Ket and you are good at it

Reply #793188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Refs handed Joey the game ball which he tossed back...dummy spit or pissed at his players. Looked like he was asked to stay for an interview which he shrugged off and went to the lockeroom "

To be fair on Joey the game was far from memorable. Congrats on 500, but lets hope we don't see game 501.

Reply #793189 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Although credit to you before Melbourne, I have lived in Perth, so I have experienced the bogan town vibe before.

Reply #793190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seeya Joey don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Reply #793191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, real keepsake, a ball from game he just lost. Straight to the pool room.

Reply #793194 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Eagle, maybe when you're pumping your team up in the future just say things that aren’t obviously full of shit?

Ie. saying your player is an MVP before the end of an actual season or saying how good your team is with no imports when it had an import who played more than the opposition imports combined. Immediately kills the point.

Reply #793196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET enjoy your holiday. Start planning on how to rebuild your own team, from coach to roster. Make fun of it. You're looking like a fool right now continuing this with Eagle.

Reply #793197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has proved he can coach. His my way or highway has worn thin, losing Creek and Sobey huge. Disappointing choice of imports has been his weakness as well. Drmic has shown he can play in league but never be a star, Froling a huge(pardon the pun) disappointment. DJ his normal inconsistent self, star one day, chump the next. And Teys to still be getting minutes just shows how bad it is.
Joeys smart, has that contract so unless he agrees to payout he's in boxes at. Despite the last 2 disappointing seasons I've enjoyed the previous. Went from being absolutely the biggest laughing stock to competing every year and a Childress injury from maybe winning it all.
Will indeed be an interesting off season. Anyone know what KBs contact situation is? He'd be shitting himself, would think owner would want clean break from Joeys guys if they make change.

Reply #793199 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

What kills the point is a sook that can't handle facts, wildcats have always played a good brand of basketball regardless of personal, maybe rather than criticism strive to be the same and build culture and reinvigorate your club, that’s what the bosses at the 36rs need to do, the NBL needs a strong team from Adelaide as they are the only original clubs of the NBL along with the Wildcats to play every season and a lot of the history of both clubs comes down to success and stong local support

Reply #793200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"a Childress injury from maybe winning it all."

Yeah.. nah.. you were never going to win that series. You were lucky to win the two severely over-officated games at home, but whatever floats your boat.. Carry on.

As for Teys, he actually played better than expected this season. Not a starter, but a glue guy. He deserves a pass.

Reply #793201 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Amazing presser from Joey and DJ. No love loat amongst the 36ers group this year.

Reply #793203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh, Wollongong has played every season in the league.

If Adelaide are serious about being a threat and it's good for the league, they should look for a former Perth coach. Forde has worked under Gleeson, Weaver, so would be great. Neilson would also be great appointment.

If change is happening it has to happen fast, last year Joey was on holidays or unavailable when teams were chasing players. The new coach has to have full charge of his selections of both players and assistants. There are quality people out there that be found. Set your budgets and chase the right people.

Reply #793206 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers starters 1/13 3P.

Reply #793208 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Re: - Eagle

"What kills the point is a sook that can't handle facts,"

LoL Dear Eagle - please read and don't be a sook :)

" wildcats have always played a good brand of basketball regardless of personal"

WRONG : Until Cal Bruton went west in 1986 they were rather less than mediocre in both talent, performance and attitude -

"the NBL needs a strong team from Adelaide as they are the only original clubs of the NBL along with the Wildcats"

WRONG : Neither the widcats nor the 36ers are even close to original teams in the NBL

Reply #793209 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Very interesting game, thought without cotton 6ers would've beat us but seemed like a pre planned?

Especially joey, not playing the normal player's? Wright was unlucky to not have 3 championships in the past.

Reply #793210 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't know what people were expecting.
Dead rubber, nobody cared about the result, low intensity.
It was always going to deliver lots of minutes for the benches, and lots of half-assed shots.

What exactly did 6's fans expect Joey to do?
Frankly I thought both teams did well to deliver something that was mildly entertaining.

Sure Joey could have gone harder, played his starters more, and Trev probably would have responded in kind.
And what if he didn't and the Adelaide Starters managed to scrape a win, in a dead game, against Perth's DPs. Would have just made them all look like dicks.

Reply #793211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WRONG : Until Cal Bruton went west in 1986 they were rather less than mediocre in both talent, performance and attitude"

Bit of a stretch if you've got to go that far back to try and say a statement like that is wrong lol

Reply #793212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cal wins a premiership and next year he's sacked. Is there a point?

Reply #793214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Kevin White in the doghouse too? Didn't even notice him out there.

Reply #793218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey had no intention on winning that game, I guarantee he was trying to show up the 36ers hierarchy with that coaching performance.

The case of 'you didn't supply me with decent imports' so im going to bench them. Whole season has been rumoured to be one of disharmony internally. Clean house, and good riddance. JVG should be sweating how, fans are impatient.

Reply #793220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are any of these Adelaide players Boomers worthy after the crap they serve up?

Reply #793221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Adelaide are serious about being a threat and it's good for the league, they should look for a former Perth coach. Forde has worked under Gleeson, Weaver, so would be great. Neilson would also be great appointment."

I agree . While both would be rookie coaches, Forde as an example has spent time with the emerging boomers too, so has all those connections with the college guys. Players like jack white and DJ Vasiljevic would be great in our league.

Reply #793223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack doesn't offer anything. But agreed, re a Perth assistant. Culture is a very important trait to have preinstalled. Also a rookie coach with the right pedigree, will take some pressure off for the new guy as the fans will allow a longer rope.

Reply #793225 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Missed the game
Disappointing finish by sixers. Been very tough to get consistency. Been reasons - Moore injury randle late into squad. Froling not able to take next step as was expected. Griffin took time to adjust. Drmic seems to have lost spring and quickness. Came into pre seasonoff an injury. DJ and Teys contributed but year older. Maybe father time has caught these Sixers.. Joey throw team around to create spark but seemed to only create issues against themselves. Time has dawn for new energy coaching admin and players. We the fans have done our bit supporting the EC. Need desperately to find marqueer player to build team morale and culture... is creek untouchable. Don't think Sixers have recovered from his lose. Need to find the next creek sobey cadee Gibson type player who inspires and produces...

Reply #793233 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Eagle...stop. Just stop.

Perth without any imports still too professional, play good team basketball no matter who is playing!
Perth had an import. Plumlee.

Amazing record of 33 years in a row making finals WOW
34, not 33.

the NBL needs a strong team from Adelaide as they are the only original clubs of the NBL along with the Wildcats to play every season
The first NBL season was in 1979. Perth's first season was 1982. Adelaide's first season was either 1982 or 1983, depending on whether you count the Adelaide City Eagles as part of the Adelaide 36ers. The Illawarra Hawks are the only club to play in every NBL season, and the Brisbane Bullets are the only other club from 1979 that currently plays in the league.

What kills the point is a sook that can't handle facts
Almost everything you've said has been wrong.

Reply #793235 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

KR

In 1979, Adelaide was represented by Glenelg Tigers and West Adelaide Bearcats.

Then Adelaide City Eagles replaced Glenelg. It was mostly Forestville, with a few players n staff on some form of loan from their own District clubs

Then Adelaide Eagles morphed into Adelaide 36ers, a more true composite side. BASA also fielded The Buffalos in SEABL as a development team, but it was short lived

Then West Adelaide pulled the pin due to costs, merging with 36ers

History.

Reply #793240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754