Anonymous
Years ago

I don't care about Breakers' finals chances: Mitchell

Coach Simon Mitchell has said he's not concerned about the Breakers' chances going into the crucial match against United on Sunday.

A wound-up Mitchell responded in biting fashion when asked if his team could deliver the Breakers the result they need.

"I don't give a s..t about the Breakers. I'm not here to do them any favours. Bugger them, I don't care. We're going to go worry about ourselves and we're going to give our best against Melbourne," Mitchell said.

"We're going to have to get the bruises out, galvanise, and like every game, we'll go hard and take it at them. We need a little luck, a break to go our way. It's been a while."

Topic #46892 | Report this topic

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Where was this tough talk at the second half of the season?

Where was this tough talk when speaking with Benson?

Reply #792932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's just saying they’ll do their best for themselves, because they want to win, not because it helps the Breakers chances. They’re still a good chance to win, and therefore help the Breakers!

Reply #792933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id pipe up too, after so many stupid repetitive media questioning. What you think he gonna say? Yeah we gonna win this game or lose this game etc so team A or B can make it.

Reply #792934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon knows where his bread is buttered.
No chance they come close to winning tomo.
Nice
Little bonus from Larry for keeping NZ game close and losing to Melb tomo

Reply #792936 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hah what a stupid question. Only team that cares about Breakers' final chances are the Breakers.

All teams should only care about their own finals chances.

Reply #792937 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's a perfectly logical question, and he could have handled it a lot better.
All he had to say was that very game against MU was about building their presence, their brand, and delivering for their fans. And that every throw-down had meaning regardless of what hangs on the outcome.

He could also mentioned playing for pride and for each other and for their fans.
He could also have simply pointed out that they would be playing to win, and they win then NZ don't have to worry.

Reply #792955 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

"Where was this tough talk when speaking with Benson?”

Interesting comment. In retrospect how this played out potentially railroaded their season. Losing Wesley for much of the year, Benson not getting played then replaced by an underwhelming wing simply set them up for failure in my opinion.

Reply #792968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benson had to be paid out or find another club, it was a financial keeping him till he got that job. Well done to Simon for saying it how it is. They are a long shot against United but they will play hard. There only super quality player is Creek, got two other A graders, Wesley and Roberson but it falls away after that.

Reply #792970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley is not an A grader

Reply #792972 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Wesley has previously been an A grader (elite back to the basket skills and rebounder) but injuries have impacted his year. Agreed that after their big 3, things drop off dramatically. The two biggest disappointments would be Kendall Stephens and Madgen. Stephens looks a player but needs to add more to his game than just the 3 ball and his defender is poor. Madgen just seems off the pace, league has improved and he has lost a step. Shooting percentage is not good. Should be coming off the bench moving forward I think.

Reply #792988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Part problem is that Wesley got injured, certainly was an A grader, maybe injury and age caught up, Madgen played well in Europe if you go by stats, not outstanding but solid, not many winning teams though, his time in Sydney was when comp was at its lowest level and Coach Heal let him shoot every second shot and kings were crap. Both are on A grade money more than likely so you need top production out of them and it didn't happen.

Mitchell has don a very good job when you actually look at there roster in total, there some big V type players in there.

Reply #792990 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Who would you say is a Big V type? Dan Trist doesn't look NBL standard to me, but apart from that it looks like a regular bench.

Reply #793000 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Trist, Acuoth, Armstrong and maybe even Stephens aren't really NBL standard and Walker's certainly not an NBL standard import.

Reply #793001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly Mike Kelly didn't care about the Breakers finals chances either...

Reply #793081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL doesn't want the Breakers in the finals. They want Sydney and Melbourne.

Anyway, he could have answered that question better. I don’t expect him to care about doing any other teams a favour, but this sounded a little bitter. You’re in NZ answering questions from NZ media - we don’t care about your team either.

Reply #793085 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Simon Mitchell is uncouth. Bad language.

Doesbt carry himself well.

Reply #793103 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Sooner MItchell is out of the league the better, can't coach or articulate a point.

Really Flynn & MItchell are embarrassing to the league

Reply #793111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell done a very good job with a very average squad bar a few. To many on here got no idea.

Reply #793135 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Mitchell seems like a reasonable coach to me, not that I have studied him. He also appears to be a good guy. I just think he yells and swears too much and that reflects poorly on him

Reply #793139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just think he yells and swears too much and that reflects poorly on him"

If that is your guide to good/bad coaches, then WOW!!

Reply #793184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just think he yells and swears too much and that reflects poorly on him"
If that is your guide to good/bad coaches, then WOW!!"

Spot on. Why he was ever appointed I don't know. Is he contracted next season?

Reply #793216 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754