Anonymous
Years ago

We had selfish players who played for wrong reasons: Joey

Joey has come out hard in his post-match press conference at an unnamed "3 or 4 guys".

Who would he have been referring to? He did give a special serve to Eric Griffin

____

The coach didn't mention his own milestone in the build up to the clash and said that it wouldn't have mattered if he did.

"There is no way three or four of those guys were going to come out here and play for me in the 500," he said.

"That was not going to happen. If anything, they were going to play worse.

"In modern society, far too often these guys get so much reinforcement from social media and people, that that's what they grow accustomed to to make them get out and play.

"If they can't get out and play the game of basketball for the simple fact that it is one of the biggest games in the world, something is wrong.

"And obviously something was wrong.

"I love this game.

"I use this sport to really effect people in a positive way.

"It really distresses me when individuals don't use this sport - and they use it for selfish reasons. And we had a lot of guys this year who used it for selfish reasons."

Wright thinks that playing basketball should be enough reason to get up to play. But thinks that some people wanted to take from the game and pillage as much as they could.

He said he didn't want to be around those people.

Eric Griffin saw only 2:23 minutes of court time, all in the first quarter.

"He turned the ball over three times in 10 seconds," he said.

"I don't know what was wrong with him, but he wasn't interested in playing tonight, so I wasn't interested in playing him."

Topic #46904 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I love this game." Enjoy retirement.

Reply #793349 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Very interesting take from Wright.

But how did this season come to this where people are taking shots at each other publicly.

I wish it would stay interal as this is not a good look for potential recruits.

Reply #793351 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wright may be correct but the big picture is he is making himself unemployable in the NBL.

Reply #793353 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"I love this game." Enjoy retirement.

Ha ha yeah right he'll be coaching another NBL team within 12 months.

Reply #793355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullshit.

Reply #793360 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wanna bet? Third longest serving coach in NBL history he will have teams lining up for his services. New team in Tassie? SEM want to upgrade their coach? Illawarra? I mean come on.

Reply #793361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright was done along time ago, any club would be stupid to hire him with so many other coaches ready to take the top tier.

Reply #793362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My guess at the 3-4 guys he was referring to:

- Jerome Randle
- Eric Griffin
- Harry Froling

Reply #793363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers had the fourth highest payroll in the league and finished sixth. Not a massive underperformance, but definitely not a good performance.

Reply #793364 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If you take into account Cairns completely getting it right (good on them!!!) then yes finishing 6th is about right for what they spend. They're not dissimilar in expenditure to Bullets, Breakers, Phoenix. They finished in much the same cluster.

People are hysteric about Wright it’s hard to understand. Adelaidean pissantry or Perth trolls who love Gleeson and hate Wright (irony aplenty). The bloke has a successful record at Adelaide simple as that.

Have relationships broken down? Absolutely. Is it time to move on? Yes.

Randle and Griffin deserve every minute of benching they got this year. Randle needs to stop pretending to have swagger - he needs to pull his head if he’s going to play again in the NBL.

Reply #793367 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The irony being the only NBL team that might consider signing Randle again is probably Adelaide.

Reply #793368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, its a players league, and he doesn't have a great reputation these days with players. Id take that bet he won't be catching within 12 months.

I wish he had the genuine balls to call out these individuals. If you don't say who, then its really just another excuse of his.

Sooner he is gone, the better. its getting ugly now. So much for his talk of 'the club is bigger than me'.

Reply #793369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers did NOT have the 4th highest pay roll in the league. Our highest paid player would have been the 4th highest player at Illawarra

Reply #793372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle shit.
Give me Machado or Trimble or Cotton or Roberson or Ware.

Reply #793373 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac, its a players league, and he doesn't have a great reputation these days with players. Id take that bet he won't be catching within 12 months.

No it's not, not even close you're thinking of the NBA. The inmates run the asylum in that league not here.

Despite what the trolls (and they are trolls) like to say about Joey in their continued quest to try and convince people the sky isn't blue the reality is Joey is a very well respected coach in the NBL for his development of players that no other coach comes close to.

If you genuinely believe Joey won't be coaching another NBL team within the next 12 months you're clueless about the NBL and his standing in the league. Could he walk into the Sydney or Melbourne or Perth jobs tomorrow? No, but other teams will come calling.

He's been in Adelaide 7 years now he's run his race he and the owner don't get along and the players likely need a new voice but the sad part in all this is whoever we get to coach the Sixers next season is going to be an inferior coach to Joey.

Reply #793375 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Watching the game today with Trimble coming off the bench and unlikely to be back at Melbourne the Sixers could do worse than put in a call to him. He's got his flaws sure but his stock isn't what it once was now.

Reply #793376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble seems much better than Randle off the court. Might help Adelaide!

Reply #793378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble = big pay packet and not even vickerman could get him play D. At the right price yes.

Reply #793379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, you're so caught up in your opinion on all these issues.

Reply #793380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Joey is a very well respected coach in the NBL for his development of players that no other coach comes close to."

I hear people say this a lot, but if this is true how come Sobey wanted to get away from him this past off-season. Also Hodgson in prior seasons wanted to play under someone else and asked for a release from his contract.

Reply #793382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Valid questions

Reply #793385 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Creek made the point re Wright that some players are overly sensitive - id put money the reference was on Sobey, Hodgson types

Reply #793386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than Sobey, name a few others. Froling, Drimic, McVeigh have been awful overall, yes bits and pieces of good play but so inconsistent. Bruce at Sydney this season shown a lot more than last at Sixers. Defensively his teams have never been great but been able to score more points.

Reply #793388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling has gone backwards this year, which is another question mark over the "Joey is the master of developing young talent" tag

Reply #793389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would look at Frolings track record of being lazy etc v joeys success rate and would come to conclusion it shows more negtively for froling than Joey in this case.

Reply #793391 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Huh? They didn't leave 36ers though, I answered the question about why Sobey didn’t want to play for Joey.

And Drmic said he likes Joey and would play under him if he’s still coach. That doesn’t play into "players don’t like Joey".

We know Randle, Sobey probably didn’t, we know Creek, Drmic definitely did/do

Reply #793392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey seems keen to take the praise when he 'develops' but hasn’t put his hand up to acknowledge any responsibility re Froling when it’s a negative about player development.

Reply #793393 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Froling is a straight up disappointment who needed to get into shape and didn't

Reply #793394 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You really want a list of the players Joey has developed?

Brisbane: Goulding, Gibson

Gold Coast: Goulding, Gibson, Cadee, Petrie (arguably)

Adelaide: Creek, Sobey, Deng, Cadee, Gibson, Petrie, Hodgson, DJ (arguably)

No other coach gets within a country mile of that record for developing players.

Reply #793395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do realise all those guys would've developed regardless

Reply #793396 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Joey at MelbU. Whatever went wrong at MU this season is likely due to Dean Vickerman.

He chose this roster, unlike Kelly and even Flynn, he was not in-experienced and did not, in this case, take over someone else's team.

Like Adelaide, maybe the MU roster needs a different voice.

What's more, Joey would actually work well with this MU roster IMO. Trimble, Long, Goulding, McCarron, Ili, Lual-Acuil & McDaniel can all get up and down the court at pace, Pledge, Barlow and Smith-Milner can't, and Prather will likely be replaced!

If he could bring DJ & Kyei with him, and even Teys (for 1 season only, to help implement Joey's system to his new team), and your only looking for a healthy Prather or a replacement.

And LK would probably love having Joey at his club!???!

Reply #793397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would give Joey credit for helping Goulding. Goulding I think had a few false starts until he played under Joey.

The rest are pretty questionable whether their success should be attributed to Joey developing them.

Weren't Creek and Cadee highly touted youngsters? Probably would've developed good careers regardless of who coached them.

Reply #793398 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Joey spent this season proactively benching players who were lazy selfish or effortless or didn't have their act together and he called them out.

It’s up to the players to help their team out by getting fit, being selfless and doing the one percenters.

Mix this with strong owner opinions and there’s strained relationships everywhere and everyone is dragging each other down.

I’m scared for the offseason - what do Adelaide have? They don’t have the capital to compete with the top clubs, they’ve got no real substance development players left aside from Drmic, Kyei. Either get it right Cairns style with imports or absolute bust with more average disappointing players.

Reply #793399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whatever went wrong at MU this season is likely due to Dean Vickerman."

Well they're in the Top 4, and they could still win the title.

Reply #793400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You really want a list of the players Joey has developed?

Brisbane: Goulding, Gibson

Gold Coast: Goulding, Gibson, Cadee, Petrie (arguably)

Adelaide: Creek, Sobey, Deng, Cadee, Gibson, Petrie, Hodgson, DJ (arguably)

No other coach gets within a country mile of that record for developing players."

You forgot about Terrance Ferguson, who went on to the NBA.

Reply #793401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was a joke to the above Ferguson reference right? The more I think about last nights presser the more unprofessional he sounds. Keep the issues in the lockeroom. For fucks sake Joey is all about Joey. Ultimate excuse before he leaves. He has issues with half the team, the owner who ever, but leave the brand out of it. He's shitting on the 36ers our the door.

Reply #793405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It took Joey three goes to develop Gibson?

Reply #793407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng was a bench player, with an odd good game. Kelly has developed him. Cadee looks like a Joey development player, still doesn't play defence. While he has had all those players with him at times he can hardly be credited to all there development.

Reply #793410 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It took Joey three goes to develop Gibson?

No that was an example of players he developed following him from club to club.

Reply #793414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac would disagree lol

Reply #793415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I felt the relationship first became strained with how the club / ownership treated Creek and trying to get compensated for him leaving. It became further strained when Big Joe was let go. Before the season commenced Joey's pick as import PG in Taylor was let go in favour of Randle who we all know is a selfish player. Last time Randle was here it did not end well so this was always going to end in tears. The mid season appointment of JVG was weird. Joey will go on and coach Tasmania when they enter the comp. Adelaide will get a new coach but will take a while to re build and likely finish last next year. Apart from this year Joey always over achieved. For those that remember the two seasons with Marty Clarke it will be a return to those days unfortunately.

Reply #793416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you talking about? A rebuild in the NBL is all about how many decent signatures you can get in the offseason. A decent rebuild is only ever 2 signatures away. No reason Adelaide can't get decent guys regardless of Joey wrights presence.

Reply #793417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you are signing Lebron and AD or Harden and Westbrook last time I checked you need a good Aussie core with at least two quality imports. Adelaide Aussie talent will be leaving on mass and I cannot see as winning with Our inexperienced development players.

Reply #793419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey won't be coaching the new Tasmanian team, it’ll be a home grown coach first up, possibly Steward.

Reply #793420 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I feel like this team went south around the time Moore was shut down for the remainder of the season. Still not sure exactly what was going on with him, but he seemed to lose all confidence. I wonder if Joey lost patience and gave up on him and that was taken badly by some players on the team?

My understanding was that Moore was generally well-liked by his team-mates, so perhaps that really shook the confidence of most of the team? Drmic in particular went from having a couple of break out games in the middle of the year, to struggling to make layups!

Reply #793450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This love that Adelaide fans have for Joey Wright makes me LOL.

Reply #793451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ramone wasn't injured

Reply #793454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blond Freddy could see he wasn't injured. Was footage of him training on the news in the background etc AFTER he was declared out with a shoulder lol

Reply #793459 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Blonde Freddy is quite omniscient.

Reply #793463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blind Freddy alas wouldn't be able to see my spelling mistake. But he saw Ramone training.

Reply #793468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

goodbye flog

Reply #793557 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If not injury then why not playing. Not like they didn't need him.

Reply #793563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If not injury then why not playing. Not like they didn't need him."

Was Griffin injured yesterday? Was Randle? Did they not need them? I know it will hurt you, but just try to think a little bit and I'm sure it will come to you.

Reply #793565 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Big comments from Wright.

He's a quality NBL coach, proven over a long period and will coach here again- if he wants to.

Reply #793585 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Joey certainly knows a thing or two about selfish!

Reply #793588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's a was a quality NBL coach, proven over a long period and will never coach here again" Corrected for accuracy.

Reply #793591 | Report this post

slick  
Years ago

funny joey developed all these players

yet how many won championships under joey

i dont want to see my team developing, i want to see them winning, like the wildcats do

Reply #793598 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Those saying he won't coach again- are you suggesting there's too many players who don't like him?

I dunno, I tend to think some people really don't like him but others love him.

Plus, bridges can be mended- and then broken again- Randle and Wright were supposedly on bad terms yet Randle still returned.

They're all professionals. Wright has a solid record, so no doubt a few GM's will be giving him a call. Whether he decides to return after such a long stint which seems to have left him emotionally exhausted, who knows.

Reply #793601 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[so no doubt a few GM's will be giving him a call. ]

To be clear, I don't mean necessarily right now. But surely as coaching vacancies arise over the next year or two, he'll be high on the list for replacement.

Vickerman has signed on for 2 years, but contracts aren't worth much these days. Mitchell finished the season on an 8 game losing streak. Generally you get one season's grace, but pressure's on next year.

Lemanis has made playoffs how many times? Off the top of my head, maybe 1 season in 4 in Brisbane? Maybe they decide it's time for a change and Joey returns there? Who knows.

Reply #793602 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I dunno, I tend to think some people really don't like him but others love him.

100% prime example: Creek, DJ, Drmic etc love him; Randle, Sobey (who are also good mates) dont like him

Reply #793604 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Can't please everybody, and Sobey/Randle come across as sooks at the best of time it's easy to see why they wouldn't like Joey.

Reply #793605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If DJ and Drimic love him so much you would think they would show it on the court a bit more, or maybe they are not that good.

Reply #793606 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

DJ would be 36ers MVP for the season.....again

Reply #793607 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

DJ did show it. He was still playing hard at the end of the season and as KET says, was the clear Sixers MVP again.

Drmic is a diff story. He works his butt off defensively and gets rebounds and loose balls others wouldn't. But if he wants to be a starter rather than a good bench player, he’s got to become a more reliable shooter next season. I hope it works out for him, because I think he does work hard and deserves success.

Reply #793608 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Drmic is such a shooting yips kind of guy.

I think Randle, Drmic, Froling benefit from run and gun momentum - 36ers has none of that because their defence this season was appalling and there was no length to create deflections ie Childress, Creek, Sobey in the past.

Building a team is going to be hard, it's not simply a case of "fire Joey hire good players"

1) Expenditure competitive advantage of the “big 3 clubs” - the experienced peaking players cost a lot and those with the most monies will get those signatures

2) Aussie availability - most good players who are known for getting it done in the nbl will be tied up already, they’ll need to search well

3) Development of players - 36ers lost a lot of the talent they’ve been developing, they’ll need to start again that takes time

4) Signing good imports - generally hit and miss - Cairns hit the jackpot this year

In that sense Adelaide needs to do a lot of finding gems or taking risks that they hope will pay off.

Perhaps it’s worth not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Really look for a good long defensive big import, look for a lengthy defensive sg/sf import in the creek or Sobey mould.

Keep DJ, Drmic, McVeigh Randle, Froling, Teys, Mudronja, Kyei

Focus on deflections trapping hand in face and rebounds, and sling forward in the run and gun style with Randle pushing the ball up - open up those three point opportunities for Drmic Froling McVeigh.

Style 2 with Teys, DJ etc is to get the ball into DJ give him plenty of opportunities to be active in the game. So often he goes missing without touching the ball enough

Reply #793612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 new imports coming in helps...
if you get the imports right then its all good, look at the finals teams all have top quality imports.

Reply #793623 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

3 good imports is a great foundation. 4 is even better.

Reply #793625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 is perfect.

Reply #793627 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That couldn't possibly be a reference to the Kings

Reply #793629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 top imports and 1 top Next Gen - Then you only need a few other players - get rid of the cancer (whoever that is) and the current imports - keep the best of your non cancer Aussie players - Sound like DJ and Drimic are good team players

Reply #793710 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

I'm still enjoying the fact the Gibson has developed apparently.LOL

Reply #793742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm still enjoying the fact the Gibson has developed apparently.LOL

London Olympian FYI

Reply #793750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey wright as 36ers Coach

214 games for 118 wins
won 72 out of 107 home games(67%)
4 Finals appearances which included 2 Grand Finals
took the club from the bottom to the GF in his 1st season
only 1 losing season.

This record shows he was the right choice to take over at the end of 2012/13 but i think a fresh voice is the right way to go.

Reply #793772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you are signing Lebron and AD or Harden and Westbrook last time I checked you need a good Aussie core with at least two quality imports.

I hope those guys would come out here to play D because Randle wouldn't pass them the ball!!

Reply #793852 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed #772

Reply #793859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the 3 or 4 guys Joey was referring to were Griffin, Randle, Dillon and froling, based on his opinion of them "ruining his life" in the Kevin white screenshot

Reply #795461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754