Isaac
Years ago

NBL 2020 Coach of the Year: Mike Kelly

Easy pick. Selected strong imports and took a squad few expected much from into a finals-bound team. Went from the spoon last year to post-season now.

Top three in voting were:

Mike Kelly (Cairns) - 65 votes
Will Weaver (Sydney) – 39 votes
Trevor Gleeson (Perth) – 32 votes

Topic #46908 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Where are you getting the voting numbers?

Reply #793462 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Found on Twitter.

Reply #793465 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Where? I haven't seen them.

Reply #793466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #793472 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yep, Fox Sports just posted an article with all the numbers.

Reply #793475 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Article on NBL.com.au also has the votes

Reply #793485 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's a difficult award to rationalise.
Team goes from spoon to 3rd, so coach wins in a landslide. Why? Assumption is that it's all down to the coach???
Not saying I would have picked anyone else, just that it's a weird award.

Reply #793529 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mike Kelly thoroughly deserving of the award.

Ball should not have got it considering the amount of games he missed.

Reply #793533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns were clearly most improved team jumping 5 ladder spots.
That certainly helped Kelly win.

If Illawarra made playoffs next year would Flynn get it?

Reply #793543 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Mike Kelly COTY. You're no Trevor Gleeson. And you're certainly no Will Weaver...but...at least you didn't suck as badly as last year. For next year maybe you could try playing more than your starters. So you wouldn't ruin the other 6 guys careers.

Reply #793568 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Playing the bench was what lost them all those games early in the season, you dolt.

Reply #793569 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

You're right. Screw those other 6 players. Not a coaches job to help all his players Excell. Only yardstick is winning. Which makes Gleeson and Weaver better coaches. And you shortsighted. And kind of a dick.

Reply #793570 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's a basketball team, not a charity.

Reply #793571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben it's not about ruining or making the other 6 guys careers! It’s the team and a small budget club. To be competitive you spend at the top end and find the "other 6 guys" who are happy just to be there and wouldn’t have a job on another team! This isn’t a “everyone gets a go” league. Go play midweek mixed basketball for that. Great job finding a negative (grasping at straws really) in what is an incredible story. World we live in I guess.

Reply #793572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly did play his bench, not all but Djeric, Noi. Krislovic and Kenny all got time. It's a good result for Cairns, though Perth will smash them now. Weaver can consider himself unlucky but no problems with Kelly.

Reply #793587 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kelly the right choice.

Shamir 2nd for mine. Hopson, Loe, Delaney , Hampton and Webster missed 49 games between. It was early on missing Hopson, Loe and Delaney together that killed their season. Exceptional effort to recover and missing playoffs on percentage.

They were a tough team, full of veterans who can play in clutch situations and I would've loved seeing them go up against Sydney or Perth

Reply #793590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson was coach of year last season but Vickerman won it. It's always a bit guess work, certainly before premiership is decided, but if Weaver goes on to lead the kings to championship, he will be like Gleeson last year, robbed.

Reply #793595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shamir is not a coach though. The hard part of measuring kellys improvement is his team is way different ro last year, maybe better players is the reason for success.

Reply #793597 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Shamir 2nd for mine."

Second half of the year, sure, but he didn't handle their adversity in the first half of the season well and the team fell apart on a number of occasions. His decision-making around Rice is probably what cost them a playoff spot in the end, that was extremely poor.

With his eye in about what's required I expect the Breakers to be very tough next season.

Reply #793637 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

NBL - "Coaches and captains from each of the nine teams will now vote on the nominations with no coach or captain allowed to vote for a player from their own team."

Does this do away with any of the conspiracy / favouritism theories?

Reply #793639 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Could make a case for Gleeson, Kelly, or Weaver, but I think the right guy won. Made a good call trimming the rotation and it paid dividends. Hopefully the last 2 games were an aberration however, because they've looked like the Illawarra Hawks.

Reply #793644 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[His decision-making around Rice is probably what cost them a playoff spot in the end]

I disagree- Loe, and Delaney were out together for a few games, in addition to Hopson. NZ had no hope of winning games with those 3 out, so they had to get someone in quick smart.

Rice wasn't actually a bad player. It was a regrettable decision for PR purposes due to his ill character.

As soon as he left, Hopson returned anyway. It’s unlikely they would’ve got any more wins if they’d brought in someone else.

Besides, if you criticise Shamir on personnel decisions, you gotta look both ways. He should get credit for bringing in Hopson and Henry. Two guys he knew from Israel. One close to MVP of the league, one a very valuable player for NZ.

Reply #793653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly and Weaver clearly the best two coaches, though there always is an argument for Gleeson as well. No one else was near it unless you start finding excuses for them.

Reply #793654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Playing the bench was what lost them all those games early in the season, you dolt.)

What's a dalt? Is that a new age word the kids use now?

Reply #793687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he said dolt not dalt you dolt

Reply #793689 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Kelly not much good this weekend. Hard to see that reversed against Gleeson
at the next game

Reply #793690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well deserved award and he's been in the NBL for a number of years now, good on him.i guess it would have looked a little strange if a first year American coach who came in and topped the NBL ladder from start of the season to the end of the regular season (first time in NBL history) were to get the coach of the year award, just wouldn’t be fare for all the other coaches who have been trying for this award for years on end now would it?

Reply #793694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh dear...

Reply #793697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Oh dear indeed, you're spot on.

Reply #793701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly did well for the last half of the season but if the coach of the year was only judged on the last round of the regular season, Andrej Lemanis would be coach of the year. Out coach kelly big time that game.

Reply #793711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was judged on the whole season Weaver has been better than all. Has had a team of old guys, a few good players and guys that could not get a job anywhere. Kelly had three of the best players in the league, were injury free unlike Sydney.

Reply #793719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ you might be on to something ^

Reply #793724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver has got last seasons MVP and runner up MVP, a former two time MVP, a former Boomer, an all NBL first team import, a second round NBA draft pick, a fourth import just for the hell of it, and some ok-ish Aussie talent.

Reply #793725 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, but Bogut wasn't even the real MVP last season, winning it was in his contract or something, didn't you hear?

Reply #793727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of former in there. If they were still guns they would be in the now. As above, old guys, few good ones and a few misfits.

Reply #793728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^It would be a very different NBL ladder if the kings didn't have Tate and if they still had Gaze as coach this season.

Reply #793734 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut and Casper were top 2 MVP last year

Casper was all NBL first team the last 3 years in a row. How many players have ever achieved that? Probably no more than 10 or 15 players in the history of the NBL.

Add a gun import in Tate, 23 years old and ready to fire in his 2nd year as a pro.

Then add a deep squad full of quality role players. Weaver had it made.

Reply #793771 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Rice wasn't actually a bad player. It was a regrettable decision for PR purposes due to his ill character."

Rice was a very good individual talent but a horrible player for the Breakers, his impact on team chemistry was a big negative and that influences on-court performance.

Shamir should have known better the first time, and definitely shouldn't have brought him back the second time. Horrible decision making that hurt his team.

The way the team wiltered under injury was a poor reflection on Shamir, and it's since emerged he was having a hard time winning the team over. That said, the way they galvanised around the midway point of the season and charged home is a very good reflection on Shamir.

So for me he has good and bad coming from this season, and the team should be better next season for what he has learned.

Reply #793773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Bogut and Casper were top 2 MVP last year)

Did you say last year? That was a long long time ago but not so good this year. Tate had to work hard to pick up the slack, Didi was ok but had a lot of off games and injuries he didn't help that much , Taylor did well from the half way point of the season. And the rest mmh, Weaver did a brilliant job getting the kings through the season on top some how. But if gaze was the coach of the kings this year and had the same record would he be coach of the year? I’d say so. On the other hand if he was coach this year without Tate with his never say die playing stile it would be a different result.

Reply #793777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tate was a budget import that everyone said would not last, that's coaching. While both Bogut and Ware have been great over time both have had injuries and slight form loss . Weaver should have been coach of the year.

Reply #793781 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I see what you're saying Paul about Rice. Fair point. But judging the entirety of the season I'm more impressed by NZ going 15-13 considering the injuries and absences they faced, than I am by Sydney going 20-8 or Perth at 19-9.

Reply #793782 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ware starts every season slowly and has had patches of poor form in each of the past 2 years. That's nothing new.

They have the best point guard in the comp (arguably 2nd now behind Machado, although Despite Machado's season given Wares long term record I'd sign him before Machado for next season).

And you also have Bogut. Then you already have no excuse not to do really well

Tate has a bright future ahead of him. As does Didi.

Newley, Kickert, Moller, Walker, Bruce all experienced, proven NBL players.

Taylor, another import, was going OK for Adelaide in pre season.

Cooks made the Boomers ahead of Creek and Motum.

Superstar talent at both ends of the floor. Championship winners. Leadership. Experience. Depth galore. The ability to sign whoever, whenever. World cup Boomer pick? Done. Import replacement for Lisch? Done. An NBA draftee in his 3rd pro season, as a *wink wink nudge nudge* "next star"? Done.

Kings had ome of the best rosters ever. Couple of injuries? Ok. Just sign quality replacements. Top up your roster with Xavier Cooks.

Don't understand why 20-8 is supposed to be super impressive with that team.

Gleeson rounds out my top 3.

Reply #793785 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Coach of the year gets beat by 36 in last game of regular season, comes in third and you're saying he's a better coach than a new guy who puts together May be the best team the nbl has seen in forever and does something no one in the nbl has ever done in 41 years? Really? Is everybody in Australia on crack?

Reply #793806 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"he's a better coach than a new guy who puts together May be the best team the nbl has seen in forever and does something no one in the nbl has ever done in 41 years?"

No, I'm saying the guy who took a team from 6-22 to 16-12 on a relatively small budget did a more impressive job than the guy who took a team from 18-10 to 20-8 on a massive budget.

Reply #793807 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Just got thumped by 36. Impressive. The difference is Sydney's bench. And pretty much all benches are paid the same. But not all benches can run up 50 plus on another team. Weaver should have got coach of the year just because he's so much better post game interviews then all the other coaches. By a country mile.

Reply #793810 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Why do people keep mentioning the last game?

They had nothing to play for, Machado and Oliver played less than half the game.

Who cares? It means nothing.

Reply #793816 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually, this is a good example of recency bias

Cairns has an awesome season exceeding all expectations

Get thumped in a meaningless last round junk game when they rested their stars. And people keep talking about it!

Reply #793817 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

What that shows is how lost they are without their starters playing the whole game. Good luck against Perth. Their whole team can play.

Reply #793821 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Noi just missed what, 10 games? And they kept winning

Try putting together a team on a small town budget and winning games with your best 2 or 3 guys sitting on the bench. You're a tough cookie to please!

Reply #793824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe MK should have got the 'Most improved coach of the year'. If it's a players award why not for coaches?
Hard to argue the 'Coach of the year' shouldn't have gone to Weaver with their record and finishing top.

Reply #793847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oops I forgot I was in this thread lol
I was at the Brisbane Cairns game and I can tell that was not a meaning less game, Brisbane simply just out played them big time and the crowd played a big part in that.
Sydney were lucky with a lot of close games this year it could of been a lot different if there coach wasn't so calm under pressure. (They lost to the hawks ffs)
Weaver is very smart as soon as people on here started saying he was a calm coach the next game he lost his sh:t at the referees and proved to his team he was their for them.

Reply #793877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a Stupid Award, and some of the posters are even stupider.

WHAT exactly did Kelly do this season that deserved his landslide win?
He didn't suck ass as badly as last year? Is that the criteria?

Cairns somehow lucked out with the best starting 5 in the league. Eventually Kelly figured out how not to fuck that up.
Fact is that he has shown in the past that he's not a good coach. What is it that people think has magically changed? Every time he tried to make a change, he fucks up, hardly the endorsement of coach of the year. For all their great results, let me ask you this, take Kelly out of the building and what changes? Nothing.

The utter stupidity is displayed by the upvoting of Bill Beaver. Give him the best squad every assembled in the NBL, top it up with another import AND Cooks, my Granny could have coached them to more wins than him.

People need to wake up.
Kelly is a dud who will be exposed next year when his entire starting 5 leaves. Beaver is a poor man's Gaze with a bad wig and American accent.

Rest of the country better hope that Cotton and White stay injured, otherwise Moobs will have himself another ring.

Reply #793989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To me, the best part of Kelly's coaching this year was the improvement in a lot of our players. Krislovich went from a development level player to reliable rotation guy this year, Djeric started every game through our best run, Deng was better in Cairns, Noi was nearly rookie of the year despite missing two months. As much as i love Machado, not sure i am crediting him with all of that.

Weaver's achievement was great as well, in this league, no matter how good your roster, to be 1st all year, despite a good Perth team, a Melbourne team that was better than their results suggest, and the late season charges of NZ and Brisbane, that's pretty impressive.

Reply #794126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its funny reading this thread, everyone trying to justify the results.
Read through all the comments, and they're all actually saying the same thing: This is a TEAM award, NOTHING to do with the coach.
Cairns goes from last to 3rd, MIT, so coach wins. Sydney stays first all season, so Will Wheaton gets 2nd. Perth have another good year, so Gleeson 3rd.

Crazy thing is, that even based on your own criteria, Wheaton should have won

Reply #794190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the f is Wheaton?

Reply #794219 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think they meant Wheatus. He's just a teenage dirtbag, baby. Like you.

Reply #794221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow you just judge everyone don't you.
So who is wheatus then?

Reply #794225 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Nobody gave Weaver anything. There was only one player on contract, bogut. Weaver put that team together. 70% of a teams success is how it's put together. It was his existing relationship s and his ability to convince the players he wanted to sign on that made the difference. But if your grandmother can put that kind of team together and then coach them to better than 20-8 then I say the 36ers would love to meet her. Last summer he was a big part of the boomers being ranked 3rd in the world, and beating USA for the 1st time in history. And now when the national team needs a coach to bail them out and put a team together in 3 days they didn't ask any Kelly or Gleeson to do this suicide mission. It was the foreign guy whose been doing this kind of thing for free for the last 6 summers. When he should be getting ready for finals. I say our country owes him a huge amount of gratitude, not all the crap you see coming from idiots posting here.

Reply #794271 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

So who is wheatus then?

WTF.

Reply #794273 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Will Wheaton played a teenage dirtbag on The Next Generation.

Reply #794274 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nobody gave Weaver anything.

His parents gave him those Mr Sheffield from The Nanny good looks and that calm demeanor.
They're the real MVPs. I mean COYs. I mean runner up COYs.

Reply #794283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree 100% with Mike. Kickett and Bruce have never played better, this team is beast. They deserve to win it all.

Reply #794287 | Report this post

Joey Jeremiah  
Years ago

"Nobody gave Weaver anything."

Pretty sure the Kings owner is the one who opened his chequebook for him and his squad.

Reply #794289 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Despite all the money spent by Paul White on the team Will "Mr Sheffield" Wheaton will always have a chip on his shoulder as he's no Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Reply #794302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Will Wheaton played a teenage dirtbag on The Next Generation.)

No he didn't d:ck wack he was very clean cut and respectable.

Reply #794325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(So who is wheatus then?

WTF.)

WTF. Still not giving me an answer. Who's WTF?

Reply #794327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. If Gaze has that win loss record last year he would of received the Linsay Gaze award.

Reply #794328 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754