Anonymous
Years ago

Top 4 Teams - Signings 20/21

These are all just guesses I don't know who signed multiple year deals except for a few. But I believe this is how the free agency will go, what do you guys think ?

Sydney Kings
Ware - Yes
Lisch - ?
Newly - Yes
Kicks - Retire or Yes
Bogut - Retire!
Tate - If not NBA Yes
Louzada - Pelicans
Bruce - Yes
Taylor - Perth ?

Perth Wildcats
Martin - Retire!
Norton - Yes
Cotton - Yes (Citizenship)
White - Yes
Kay - Yes
Vague - Another Team
Wagstaff - Yes
Plumlee - Overseas

Cairns Taipans
Machado - Overseas
Newbill - Yes
Oliver - If not NBA yes
Deng - Yes
Jawai- Yes
Kouat Noi - If not NBA yes

Melbourne United
Goulding - Yes
Barlow - Another Team
Long - Yes
Prather - Yes (Player Option)
Trimble - No (Team Option)
Ili - Yes
McCarron - Another Team
Lual-Acuil - Yes

Topic #46932 | Report this topic

Damo75  
Years ago

While I' really hope the Taipans can keep them both, I get the feeling Oliver is more likely to move to NBA or O/S and Machado is more chance of staying. Deng is already contracted and Noi may be as well (though with an NBA out-clause)

Reply #794350 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Don't think Martin will retire, he'll be a bench player (and prob be prepared to take a big pay cut too)
Not sure if we'll see Prather in the NBL again though

Reply #794354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver won't be back. He's too young & talented.

Machado a chance to return, but it won't be to Cairns.

Reply #794356 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

If Machado enjoys being in Australia he will still in Australia I feel. Otherwise Europe or China.

Reply #794372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats

PG - Machado
SG - Cotton (naturalised)
SF - White
PF - Kay
C - Plumlee (playing for free of course)

Bench - who cares

Reply #794375 | Report this post

oh hells yeah we stay winning count the rings

Reply #794380 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Machado would fit in nicely at the Cats and hopefully we can retain White and Plumlee.

Reply #794392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I think we could squeeze him in next to Cotton if someone was forcing us to construct a superteam

Reply #794393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Perth team would be great for the finals, but surely you can do better than the regular-season version of White?!

Reply #794399 | Report this post

Tassie Fan  
Years ago

Martin should have retired after the jaw injury.

Reply #794401 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LOL
Maybe for the sake of the rest of the league he should have.

Reply #794404 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Cotton, Norton, Steindle, wagstaff, Wani and Travers are the only ones I'm confident in being there.

Martin may retire (especially if Cats win the championship)

Vague will go, disappointing year.

White mite be pushed out unless he has a big playoffs again.

Plumlee...only if Jack sells the team to a Russion billionaire.

Kay I can see heading to Europe while he's young like Brandt.

Reply #794408 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Kay won't leave without Norton, he's staying.

Reply #794417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tate is to short for the nba.

Reply #794420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"LOL Maybe for the sake of the rest of the league he should have."

Pfft.
"However, coming off a foot injury that cost him seven games and kept him sidelined for six weeks, Martin is still playing catch up.
He's played just two games since the injury for a grand total of 24 minutes and Martin will need to spend the upcoming FIBA break wisely if he’s going to be able to play without restriction when the Finals start.
The good news though is that Martin got through those two games with no issues."
Clearly not match ready and under cooked.

Reply #794421 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Why is it that every-time somebody has a slightly above average season in the NBL, people start claiming they will be in the NBA.

Oliver in the NBA??
His strength in the NBL is that he can play the 4 no problems, and even the 5 against most NBL opponents. What's he going to do in the NBA?
Does he have the range to play as a 3 or 3/4? Would he have the size to come of the bench as a PF?
Or does he fall into the same gap as many NBL bigs? Bige enough to dominate here, yet too small for the NBA?

Reply #794430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference between Oliver and other NBL bigs is he can play above the rim and shoot from range.

He's not big enough for the NBA, but Europe will definitely come calling.

Reply #794431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver shoots the three very nicely, could play nba imo.

Reply #794432 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, not sure "not big enough" matters much any more in the NBA. He could probably start at the 5 in Houston.

Reply #794433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth keep
Cotton
White?
Plumlee?
Norton
Kay
Wagstaff
Steindl
Travers
LoBuluk
Martin?
Majok?
Vague . Let him go.

Much will depend on Cotton playing as a local.

Reply #794437 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Be interesting to see what happens with Terrico White. I guess much will depend on his performance in the finals, and how much he wants to return.

I can't see how Cotton would not naturalise before next season. I'm sure DR Jack can make a phone-call, and speed things up.

And Damo's future is far from settled. If Perth's plans for his spot were set, he might consider retirement, but I don't know if they are. He could play on, as the backup to Norton, if Norton is their chosen option??
Have to wait & see I think.

Reply #794449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D.20, be sure the NBL talent level isn't that far off from the NBA’s. Not salary caps, talent. Oliver succeeding with ease at NBL level translate to a NBA bench specific role without doubt. And that’s every players dream to make it, so that’s why.

Reply #794473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are deluded if you think the talent level of individual NBL players is remotely close to NBA standard.

Reply #794493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Strongly agree with above. Just look at how Machado has dominated the NBL this season. He couldn't make it at the Lakers. Reality check required. How many points per game would Ryan Broekhoff score in the NBL - yet he was cut by Dallas.

Reply #794495 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I reckon after players like Machado and Oliver come to the NBL and get some confidence and experience in a more team-based environment, they'll do better in the NBA and Europe than before they came.

Reply #794501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone remember that Torrey Craig guy who thought he was good enough for the NBA lol #sad

Reply #794502 | Report this post

Damo75  
Years ago

The same Torrey Craig who signed a 2yr $4mil deal in 2018 and is averaging 30min, 8pts and 7reb for the Denver Nuggets in the last 5 NBA games?

https://au.global.nba.com/players/#!/torrey_craig

Reply #794511 | Report this post

Damo75  
Years ago

I bet he's really #sad

Reply #794512 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

Remember that odd coach who thought having him come off the bench was a good idea...

Reply #794513 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

There are players that on to play in the NBA, and I'd say more than ever before. Great for them, great rep for the league, and great that we get to see them play.
I just don't agree with the automatic claim that because somebody has a great season here they are automatically NBA quality.
Nic Kay is once again the best PF in the league, but like so many guys that have dominated in that position in the NBL, he'd be at a significant size disadvantage in the NBA.

Reply #794523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Machado will still be playing in the NBL next year, but it won't be for Cairns. Melbourne will do what they always do and pay huge money to poach imports. It’s how they operate.

Reply #794616 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

Cairns radio today said Machado had signed a 2 yr extension to stay.

Reply #794816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cairns radio today said Machado had signed a 2 yr extension to stay. "

Fantastic news!!

Reply #794823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ why hasn't this been announced by the the Taipans?

Are you sure you don’t mean Kelly signed on for 2 years?

Reply #794853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard on local radio this morning that both Machado and Newbill looking to stay on in Cairns.

Reply #795083 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754