Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks knocked back my offer of LiAngelo: Lavar

Hawks should've signed LiAngelo I feel. Hobson didn't really contribute to being a winner nor was he entertaining. The ball brothers would've been very entertaining and good for ratings.

___

"When Aaron Brooks went down, I was like, 'Man, this would be a great opportunity to put Gelo (LiAngelo) on the team and you will start winning,'" Lavar said.

"Melo's very comfortable with him, you have a scorer who can shoot the heck out of the ball, and you have a bigger body than what you had."

Lavar said the addition of LiAngelo didn't sit well with people in the Hawks' organisation, who felt pairing the two brothers would become a distraction to the club.

"You're going to have a lot of success at winning, but some people on the outside looked at like it wasn't going to fit," he said

"But who wouldn't want to come see the two Ball brothers playing together?

"And now you say 'Oh, Melo's reunited with his brother, they're not going to lose,' but what's going to come with it is, 'They only pass to each other, they take all the shots.'

"Now it's no longer the Illawarra Hawks, it's just the Melo and LiAngelo show. That's when they were like, 'we don't want that.'"

Topic #46944 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would they have started winning?

Right decision.

Reply #794854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stuff the Lavar Ball sideshow.

Reply #794858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't really win without Gelo, so why not bring him in? Embrace the sideshow!

Reply #794859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another import who wouldn't there at the end, what's the point?

Reply #794861 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

I doubt they would have started winning but hawks didn't have much to lose. I’d have done it as a marketing tool. Would get eyes on the hawks. The hawks two imports they got in Hobson and the other bloke were very average too

Reply #794867 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Good to see he's still full of shit.

(The timing of these comments makes me think that there was some sort of agreement in place with the Hawks/NBL that he wouldn't run his mouth while his son was here? Well done, if that was case.)

Reply #794873 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This was the right call by the Hawks.

The Chocolate Wheel of basketball decisions landed on the right wedge this time for Campbell.

Reply #794876 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

LiAngelo would have been 10th/11th man quality in the NBL; it would have been disastrous.

The man is so far behind his brothers and some NBA draft prep videos of him were flat out embarrassing;

Reply #794877 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I haven't seen Liangelo videos....do you think he is worse than Hobson?

Reply #794884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were rumours about LiAngelo being a potential replacement at the time but the Hawks weren't interested. Thought this was a good decision at the time but with the benefit of seeing the player they ended up bringing in, it was the wrong decision.

Hobson was the worst import I've seen here for a long time. LiAngelo couldn't have been much worse and even if he was at least they'd get a bunch of views. Hobson didn't deliver any upside. He was so bad LaMelo decided not to play anymore! (Jokes)

Reply #794887 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hobson wasn't even the worst import that played for Illawarra this season, which is saying something.

Reply #794891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should any club even a poorly run one like Illawarra feel obliged to sign a particular players brother.

Reply #794896 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

who knows.
Obviously it couldn't have been any worse, but I'm not sure that's justification enough

Reply #794897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget LiAngelo got a scholarship to UCLA. He is a solid player in his own right

Reply #794912 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The only thing LiAngelo is solid at is shoplifting.

Reply #794914 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

He could have led the league in steals

I'll see myself out

Reply #794920 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

They didn't with LaMelo (it was a side show) and they wouldn't have won with Gelo riding the pine either!

Lavar like the Hawks season is a complete sideshow and taking Gelo out UCLA pretty much ended his competitive basketball career so Lavar knows a thing or two about basketball.

Surprised they didn't ask LAvar to coach, he would have done a better job than the current cardboard cut out coaching the hawks

Reply #794923 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Liangelo got a scholarship to ucla basically to get lamelo ball to sign there. Things didn't really work out

Reply #794993 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

First yaer coach may have struggles with 2 of them?

Reply #795013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754