Isaac
Years ago

Sydney-Melbourne pre-series thread

This big city match-up would be ideal for the league, but given United scraped in, will they be a serious challenge for the Kings?

Santamaria's X-factor tips just posted on the NBL site are Cooks and Barlow.

How do you think it will play out?

Topic #46951 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney by 20 in game 1, by 15 in game 2.
Their regular season meetings haven't been encouraging for United...

Reply #795099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne might surprise and push this to 3 games.

Reply #795115 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's a lot to be said about the banter from the Bogieman. Apart for the last round or so there's something not quite clicking in the locker room of the United team.

I think it will be hard for them to bag a W in Sydney with Sydney playing so well at home.

If Chris Golding can find a phone booth and transform into CG43 they might have a chance of snaring a win. "faster than a Cairns fast break, more powerful than a charge in Perth. Look, outside the arc, is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's CG43"

Reply #795133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor still training though it's been said that he’s gone home on here. Melbourne will be tough, Bogut v Long, Ware v Trimble could decide this. Kings have length and athleticism on the wings and run hard. Vickerman seems to have got Melbourne firing at right end of season. Sydney bench does look stronger than Melbourne with Didi, Kickett, Moller, Bruce. This will be tough series and if Melbourne stick together they can win it. I’ll tip Sydney in three just so hopefully they play Cairns in GF and get someone new on the winners list.

Reply #795144 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Based on the regular season matchups Sydney wins easily

If CG catches fire, it could be the catalyst.

Agree Barlow is an X factor.

Another X factor- Bogut's health. The official storyline is he was resting up for the playoffs. Is he really now 100%? 80%? 60%? I think they need him at a certain level as Long- the best version of Long- could destroy Kickert and that might be a game changer.

Reply #795148 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Provided Long concentrates on the game for the whole game, then I'd agree. However, if he lets the refs get into his head, then I’d hand it to Sydney no matter which CG43 turns up.

Reply #795156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney will attack the rim relentlessly. Melbourne guards can't prevent it, and Long will either pick up quick fouls or let Sydney score at will. Won’t matter what he does or doesn’t do at the other end.

Reply #795158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney 2-1

Reply #795163 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Disclaimer : The game is not played on paper.

On paper, MEL matches up to SYD well.

Long is the perfect foil for Bogut, he is athletic, long and has range.

CG43, Trimble, McCarron and Illi are as good as Ware, Lisch, Bruce and Didi.

But Sydney just play better.

I am hoping Vickerman is good enough to figure something out for Ware.

Reply #795164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It all depends on Melbourne's defence. Which has been awful this season so.... Sydney in 2.

Reply #795207 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Long is definitely not the perfect foil for Bogut. Long turns into a jump shooter whenever he is matched up against anyone bigger than himself. He can make the 3, but any time he is out there shooting those instead of crashing the offensive glass or hanging around the rim looking for lobs is OK with me.

United have enough offensive talent that they can win the series - any of the 4 teams in the semis are a shot - but they don't match up particularly well with Sydney. Tate has eaten Barlow alive this season and Ware has treated Melo like he's not even there on defense. So, it's definitely possible, but we'll see -United definitely caught some form down the stretch.

Reply #795208 | Report this post

Gestapo Isaac  
Years ago

Hi Everyone,
Please all agree or I will be forced to lock this thread.
Different opinions will not be tolerated as they can cause insults and debate.

Thanks

Reply #795237 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Game 1 - Kings win comfortably.
Game 2 - United win in a close tussle.
Game 3 - Kings win in double overtime.

Reply #795238 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Sydney will attack the rim relentlessly. Melbourne guards can't prevent it, and Long will either pick up quick fouls or let Sydney score at will. Won't matter what he does or doesn’t do at the other end.]

Yep, big challenge for United staying out of foul trouble in this series

United's D has ranged from woeful to, at times, decent. But I'd say the decent trend has been towards better.

They need to continue with that decent D, constant commitment and the right rotations,

They also need refs who DONT call every little tiggy touch wood foul, and fouls against guys who jump straight upwards and the offensive player forces contact. That's what happened in some of the Sydney- United meetings this season.

Reply #795247 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Recent* trend has been towards better

Reply #795248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's happening with Taylor? Which Sydney player will be sick or injured and allow for him to continue playing? I assume Walker.

Reply #795264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was ticky touch wood not tiggy touch wood. Some clarity is needed on this, could decide the series

Reply #795288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its like the potato cakes/scallops thing. People from Sydney call it one thing, while people from melbourne call it something completely incorrect.

Reply #795289 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Melbourne to copy Perth's formula of on ball screen and floater - wins in 2 games. Kings still left wonder why they can't defend the on-ball all season long.

Reply #795672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They must have done something right, they won more games than any other side. It was probably that poor defence you are talking about, but they got lucky,lol.

Reply #795706 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

How many times did Kings beat a team with effective on-ball and legit shooters - ie Perth?

Reply #795772 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 288: Touch wood

Southern states it's ticky touch wood.

Northern states it’s tiggy touch wood.

In NSW, the school playground game is "tiggy".

In NSW, it probably evolved from that.

Dunno where the “ticky” comes from though.

It could be championship deciding, and season defining.

This could even be where the “locker room issues” come from. Imports probably on another tangent with “tag”.

I’m on team ticky.

Reply #795909 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hope I'm wrong but Sydney will do to United what United did to Sydney in last year's semi final

Pay up big and get the big dogs. Or, the little big dog, Casper Ware

United to get well beaten by the big spending Kings. United to be destroyed by their own former hero who got a better offer. How humiliating this will be!

Bogut has pumped this up, let's hope United hits some shots like Cairns did and we get another classic

Reply #795969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV

What a load crap, you are sounding like a Perth supporter and your team plays for nothing. United highest spending team in league, year in year out.

Reply #795976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow.. 16 down with 5 minutes left.

Reply #796142 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Massive choke job and massive coaching blunder by Vickerman. As much as I like him as a coach he needs to admit that he cost his the team the game.

Taking Trimble off and then letting Goulding & Barlow start jacking up wild threes was the only way the Kings could get back in it.

Reply #796146 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Very embarrassing game even though it was two years ago. Many teams could learn from this game.

Reply #892573 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

[Yep, big challenge for United staying out of foul trouble in this series

They also need refs who DONT call every little tiggy touch wood foul, and fouls against guys who jump straight upwards and the offensive player forces contact. That's what happened in some of the Sydney- United meetings this season.]

A prescient comment given what happened in Game 3

Reply #892574 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754