perfverld
Years ago

It's time to talk about Jesse..

Lots of talk about Jesse Wagstaff being the wildcats X-factor in this finals series and it's time to call BS on this. He's way past his prime and his game nowadays seems to consist of stretching the rules of the game to breaking point: non-stop disgraceful flopping, constantly getting tangled up with other players, all with the same nod-nod-wink-wink-who-ME?! attitude. But apparently this is "wildcats basketball" so it's somehow alright.

Topic #46971 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm, think you summed it up, therefore no need to talk about Jesse.

Reply #796497 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

Redhage 2.0 as Homicide says.

HIs flopping is legendary - on show again today against Cairns.

Not sure any other player gets away with more than him.

Reply #796498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I've been thinking it for most of the year, he needs to retire at the end of this season.

Legend of the club and been awesome for us over the years, but he is well past his prime and often a liabilty.

Will pop up every now and then and sink some handy 3s and pull a few veteran moves, but majority of the time he is just way too slow and out of it.

As hard as it is to say, it is probably nearing time for Damo too.

Reply #796499 | Report this post

Perveworld  
Years ago

He is signed for next year.
Vague was meant to be the next Wagstaff but only gets garbage minutes in games.

Reply #796500 | Report this post

Perveworld  
Years ago

Perf 20/21

Import
Cotton
Import
Kay
Import or Motum

Norton
Steindl
Wani Swaka Lo Buluk
Travers
Wagstaff
Majok.

Reply #796503 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If i was the Cats, especially if they lose on Thurs night - I would be throwing alot of cash at Cameron from the Snakes to fill one of those Import spots, especially with Bryce due to be naturalised soon

Reply #796508 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Wagstaff currently looks like a vagrant. Tidy your hair and have a shave m8.

Reply #796511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was dirty tonight too, once that game was done. Some very suss looking elbows trying to tighten some Taipans bodies ahead of Thursday

Reply #796513 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

You could tell a couple of times today he was playing for the foul. The Cairns player just eased off at the right moment and he fell on the ground without the contact.

If that's your gameplan at top level maybe it's time to flop on the couch and grab the remote

Reply #796518 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He's the sole Wildcat left that I love to hate. Still, no Jesse, no Wildcats win in Game 1. Big 3rd Q from him to keep the game in reach for Perth.

Reply #796519 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Looks like people have Joey Wright Fatigue and now fixed their Pitchforks and Torches on Wagstaff.

Reply #796520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could tell a couple of times today he was playing for the foul.

This. Exactly this. His entire game is throwing himself on the ground, locking up with players under the basket and sneaky fouls. He's an embarrassment that Gleeson loves to have around because he'll do his dirty work and not complain about it (as it's not likely anyone else would want him).

Reply #796522 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I would love to have him on the Sixers if he was a few years younger.

He is clever.
He plays the team game.
He likes to get under the skin of opponents.
He can nail threes, and have decent post moves.
He doesn't need to talk trash or flex or scream or stare at opposition benches or get on social media to talk up himself.

He is easy to hate, OK. But if you are willing to look past that and see what he would have brought.

Reply #796524 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

People forget so quickly the role he played on Friday night. He has a knack of hitting clutch 3's. He reads the charge so well. Hes smart and can draw a foul when his team needs it most. Hes a reliable free throw shooter. Hes calm in pressure situations. Of course you hate him if hes not on your team. Im glad he is signed for next year. The perfect type of experienced player you need on your roster

Reply #796529 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Plays for the foul"? Yeah, cos no other player in the history of basketball has ever done that. DJ has turned it into science, and will soon get his Doctorate. Have a look at some of the guards, especially the older imports, who lean so far in during a drive that they'd fall over if they didn't get contact.
And you can't seriously talk about his flopping when you have guys like Goulding, Sobey, AJ, and now Magden in the league.
Yeah, I dislike playing for the foul as much as anyone, but lets not pretend it's only one or two players.

As for his contribution, bizarre as it may sound, Perth are actually complying with the rules. (As do, I think, the 7 other clubs.)
That means you've got to have 5 players within the bench cap. And contrary to popular misconception, nobody in the NBL is playing for peanuts, and only a few of the lowest ranked rookies are on the minimum.

Yes, Vague was meant to be the next Wagstaff, but at this rate I'd be surprised if he's still there next season.

Yes, if Cotton naturalises, and Damo retires, I think they can afford another import (or a gun local if available) but where can they put that slot to best use? And then they still need to pull together 5 lesser paid guys, which is where Wagstaff offers value for money.

In any event, he's contracted for next season. If Damo retires they need to sort out their replacement strategy, Vague is probably gone, and Jook is looking shaky. There's no way they try to push Jesse out early.

Reply #796530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^More expert opinions lol

Reply #796538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll still be there as since Nelson left Trevor can’t recruit Aussie talent. He’ll get guys like Majok, Kev White type guys who no one else wants

Reply #796541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'He is clever.
He plays the team game.
He likes to get under the skin of opponents.
He can nail threes, and have decent post moves.
He doesn't need to talk trash or flex or scream or stare at opposition benches or get on social media to talk up himself.'

Guys who do this stuff are often the X-Factor. Does what's necessary to help the team win. Plays within his role and within himself. Doesn't care about what anybody else things.

Can't imagine Wagstaff is sitting there thinking he should play any different because it might upset the posters on Hoops.com.au. Pretty sure he's thinking about winning, and what he needs to do to help his team get another title. And he has done quite a good job of it this season.

Reply #796551 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm not one-eyed enough to be oblivious to why opposition fans can't stand Wagstaff. But for some people, clearly the rage makes the blind to why he has been so valuable for so long. It's as if semi final game 1 is ancient history or something.

Reply #796559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it time to talk about Jesse? What has he supposedly done wrong?

Reply #796564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expert flopper. Good player though.

Reply #796566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did he flop or get tangled up with any Cairns players yesterday? No.

Reply #796568 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like got ability to play basketball, but rather flop around and tangle up, off the ball, wasting his talent.
You see footy players, like David Granger the same.
Fast cricket bowlers rather hurt the batsman, than get them out
Good baseball hitters looking for walks, instead of hitting the ball.
Wasted spaces. I just get bored. Rather the games played correctly.

Reply #796571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasting his talent? He's been the best sixth man for a team that hasn’t missed the final in his entire career, and he’s won five titles. Probably used his talents pretty well i reckon.

Reply #796573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's an analytical person. Engineer. Plays strategy games. He's worked out a successful strategy that suits his skillset. The big picture win loss record is where it's at for him. I'm betting, as mentioned earlier, hoops posters complaining won't mean squat to him. It makes no difference to his strategy.

Reply #796574 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I must be one of the few opposition supporters that rates Wagstaff. He was never a star and you can't give him the ball ask him to give you 20 points but he does all the little things fantastically and occasionally like we saw in Game 1 can bob up and knock down some big threes.

I've never considered his flopping to be as egregious as Flophage before him and I'm sure most Sixers fans would kill for a guy like Wagstaff on our team.

Reply #796576 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Wagstaff is signed for next season. Still offers value, is smart, and can hit the outside shot.

Wildcats for 2020/2021

Machado
Cotton
Oliver
Kay
Plumlee

Daniel Johnson
Wagstaff
Mitch Norton
Majok Majok
Steindl

Travers
Wani
Britt
Pozoglou

Reply #796601 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth Wilburs can we sign Moller in your make believe world? Thanks in advance.

Reply #796617 | Report this post

Troppo  
Years ago

I think Jesse adds lots of value to the Wildcats but he was run ragged last night putting his hand up requesting a sub on one occasion

Reply #796660 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

Can we also have Giddey as next star Wilburs?

Reply #796661 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I think Jesse adds lots of value to the Wildcats but he was run ragged last night putting his hand up requesting a sub on one occasion "

Unfortunately this seems to have been Trev's strategy for a while now. His Centres are lucky to get 25 minutes between them, which means Kay slides to the 5, and Wagstaff is playing starters' minutes.

Reply #796670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did he flop or get tangled up with any Cairns players yesterday? No. "

Either you didn't actually watch the game or you aren't living in the same version of reality as everyone else.

Reply #796694 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

I agree with many of the comments here. Wagstaff is a good player but a master-flopper and a bit of a knob.

But this all comes down to the referees. If they never rewarded flopping with bad calls, flopping would be a non-issue. If a player flops and it really isn't a charge (or a blocking foul, for that matter), play on. The flopper's team is then 4 on 5.

But the referee's seemed to make an art of being conned. In many many cases, it was difficult to see how they could reward the flopper with a charge call.

Then, to make it worse, they go the other way and get hyperactive with the flop call. A guy gets bumped by someone like Bogut or Nate (nothing in it to call a foul, just physical contact), genuinely goes to ground or loses footing and gets a flop warning. I would like to see the refs demonstrate the correct way of holding your ground.

Also, I think Gleeson is also a bit of a flog with his sideline antics. But, again, that's down to the refs. If they let Gleeson get away with it, it's not his fault. It gets worse when you see a ref run down to the other end of the court (eg, free throws at the opposite end) to give Gleeson a "private audience"! Whereas some coaches don't seem to get time of day.

Reply #796966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's easy to pick flopping off the tv, or elevated in the stands. When your 2 meters away with several moving players that shit can be like the matrix at ground level. Easy to sling shit from the cheap seats. Not so easy in real time at game speed with no replay (slo-mo(

Reply #796970 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

"It's easy to pick flopping off the tv, or elevated in the stands"

Having refereed A-grade, no argument here. But these guys have had more training than I had and they get paid the big bikkies!

I reffed because it was an obligation of playing in a domestic comp. One of the older guys told me if I got my badge, my pay would more than double. The maths wasn't hard!

Reply #797118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they have more training and get paid more but the league is bigger, faster, more athletic than ever. And most referees took up the gig because they weren't good enough to play. So currently you have 27 naturally unathletic white boys and 1 naturally unathletic white girl trying to run around with elite athletes. It’s not difficult to understand across all sports and there officials that the standard is below the athleticism of the players. It’s the same in every sport and every league in the world. Australia is no different to the criticism you see online for the NBA refs for example.

Reply #797121 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754