robt
Years ago

It's time to talk about Flopping..

How about a thread dedicated to this topic. Just read the thread on Jesse. In nearly every thread, not just Jesse, the flopping issue rises its ugly head. Let's let it all out here.

*The rule and its interpretation.
I remember looking for an answer to this (previously) and found a FIBA official rules doc that described the actual movements allowed (by the defensive player).
My paraphrasing as I can't find the doc again now (convenient, isn't it?). In that doc, it stated that the defensive player was allowed to move, backwards (we all know that) but it also stated that lateral and diagonal backwards movements were also ok so long as the (defensive) player already had a legal position, or words to that effect. Of course, reaching in and so on would still be called as per normal but charge or block is where this applies.
In my search for this doc or one similar on FIBA charge/block fouls, I not only found no reference to that specific subject, I did not even see any reference to offensive fouls.
Another issue I have with charge/block fouls is that often, when a flop is evident and called, you will find that the offensive player does infringe the defensive player's legitimate "space" and has actually committed a foul PRIOR to the flop.
Finally, it has been my belief that players safety is always FIRST priority. I was taught (when I was doing my apprenticeship) that a defensive player is allowed to move to preserve his own safety and in that case a blocking or defensive foul should not be called in this situation. Yeah, I know, another judgement call!

*Possible alternative ways of dealing with it.
My strongest thoughts are to call the offensive foul and to ignore the flop. The (flopper's) team is at a disadvantage anyway and the offensive team gains an advantage, anyway.

*Who's guilty.
Name names, if you like/dare! I don't like this part but it's inevitable that we will go down that dark path.

Topic #46976 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Pointless naming names. Will just distract from any realistic discussion.

As well as in-game calls, assess it after the fact with fines and then suspensions after three strikes or similar. It's habitually built into the innate games of some players. Need a bigger stick to get them to change their ways.

Reply #796567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fines $$$

Reply #796579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9 out 10 times in the nba if you kick your legs out on a shot, like kick out forward out of your cylinder it gets called offensive foul, in nbl you get called defensive foul. The leg kick out should be taken out of the game.
Move the charge circle forward 2 feet and then any player hitting the floor is block or my preferred option of no call, let the offensive player go in hard and defensive player defend hard.

Reply #796590 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^^ That's not necessarily flopping per se, but ok...

If the NBA had their way, 3-point shooting would be banned, and the only way you would be allowed to score would be a dunk, with bonus points awarded for hanging and theatrics.

It's simple. A player making a jump shot, MUST be allowed to land without fear of injury. Don't want a foul call? Then stay within your own cylinder and there is a seldom a problem. Most times the 3-point foul comes because the defender was out of position and tries to close-out too aggressively.

One thing with flopping is that some players look worse than others.
As a kid, I played a lot on bitumen courts. Last thing you want to do is slide. But I see a few guys who when falling instinctively try to turn it into a slide. Maybe it's to protect their head? But it looks bad.

Personally I struggle to understand the logic behind flop warnings. IMHO just call what you see. If its a block or a charge, call it. If you think the contact was incidental, and the defender fell without reason, leave him laying on the floor and let the game continue. And if he is impeding play then call a blocking foul.
And FFS use your brains and stop rewarding flopping with soft fouls. Watch the actual action, and if you don't see the foul, call nothing.

There are guys who fall too easily, and/or exaggerate the fall for whatever reason. Stop rewarding it, and the disadvantage to having them on their arse, will eventually sink in.

Reply #796666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kicking your legs out is not landing in your area, it's getting to the top of your jump shot even if you do go forward but then kicking your legs out to make contact. The nba don’t cop and neither should the nbl.

Reply #796679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kicking your legs out is not landing in your area, it's getting to the top of your jump shot even if you do go forward but then kicking your legs out to make contact. The nba don’t cop and neither should the nbl.

Reply #796680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who in the NBL kicks their legs out?

Reply #796711 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As I explained, in case you missed it, the NBA are hardly what we should aspire to in terms of rules.

And you're wrong.
A player making a jump shot is entitled to land within their cylinder. YES, that cylinder includes their legs. The defender must not enter that cylinder whilst the player is in the air. It's fucking dangerous, which is why a foul is called.

Reply #796877 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754