Anonymous
Years ago

Is Bogut no longer a lock for the Boomers?

He's been a staple of the team for years, but I've started to wonder over the last year if he really should still be a lock for Tokyo. He's starting to look like age and injuries are catching up to him and that that he's cooked. Even at the world cup he was often looking slow and lazy.

With the small ball trend we aren't as desperate for his size anymore. We still have Baynes as our starting C and guys like Landale providing some solid size. Are we better off taking 4-5 of Baynes/Landale/Kay/Motum/Maker/Bolden as well as Simmons as our big men for Tokyo? or is Bogut worthy of being in the mix still?

It would be heartbreaking for him to miss out on a medal after everything he's done for Aussie basketball though.

Topic #46989 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

If you believe the cover story, then Bogut came back to Australia to play less game and get his body right for the WC and Tokyo.
Maybe it shouldn't have taken the extra NBA gig at the end of last season?
He had a very full-on WC, and now this season really seems to have taken its toll.

Does anyone know when the warm-up games start for Tokyo?
He should have 3~4 months to rest & rehab, IF he's managed correctly.

Reply #796879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He always puts in a bigger effort for his country than he does at club level.
He's a lock for sure, just not a starter.

Reply #796887 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

He doesn't look right at the moment. Clearly there is an injury of some sort bothering him that is affecting him both physically and mentally. If he were in his current form I would absolutely not put him on the team because he'd be a liability. But luckily there should be a few months between the Finals and any kind of training camp so I think he should use this time to recuperate and turn down any offers he may get from literally anywhere until then.

He's not an idiot, either. I believe if he feels like he's going to play like this he'll decline to play for the Boomers. One of two things are happening - he's either overdone it and needs a rest, or he's completely hit the wall as a player and there will be no improvement, and he's over. So I guess the answer is "no" he's not a lock. But I think he'll be given every chance to prove himself and I think he'll do the right things by the team in the coming months for this to come to the right conclusion.

I expect he will make the team and be in much better form, though. But you're only getting 10-15 solid minutes from him per game at this point so there's definitely room for a 3rd option at center.

Reply #796889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was very good in pre WC games and a few earlier games at the WC.

Reply #796891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bogut is a walking liability. a very slow one.

Reply #796893 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

There is no way that he makes training camp and doesn't get selected for another Olympics, he's far too important to the psyche of the Boomers than say Motum or Newley that missed out in previous tournaments.

If Bogut gives us 15 minutes per game then fantastic, he will give his all and play smart and maybe set a few solid picks and get Mills and Cotton open, and he provides elite passing and defence.

We've heard in other threads that we need Maker or Bolden and Landale fits here too that they can get the extra minutes with Baynes and Bogut can't get. I'm happy to see what coach comes up with here

Reply #796895 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Either froling any chance..

Reply #796896 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tokyo probs not happening

Reply #796897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut's attitude is the problem

Reply #796900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont tell bogut that he still thinks he is deciding whether or not to go back to the NBA or not

Reply #796901 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Regardless of his form, I feel like it would be extraordinary if he wasn't selected. It just seems inevitable that it will go regardless;

Reply #796902 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The Olympics is a 2 week tournament that starts in 5 mths time. He needs the right preparation and rest, and he'll be OK.

He needs to think like a pro fighter. Rest period, training camp, fight.

Bogut played an important role in 2016 and 2019. There are still behemoths in international ball like Rudy Gobert or Boban Marjanovic. There's a place for a banging, rim protecting big with genuine size. Bogut and Baynes complement each other well.

A few years ago everyone said Manny Pacquiao was done. They said his speed and power had deserted him. They said he'd been declining since 2010 and should retire before his legacy was damaged.

Recently Pacquiao named in The Ring magazine's top 10 pound for pound for pound fighters in the world, at the age of 41. Bogut should take inspiration from that.

But no, he's not a lock.

Reply #796904 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

^^ 100%.

Reply #796905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He hasn't looked 100% all season, but the past 2 games he's looked at about 40%. He definitely over did it with the NBA and World Cup. I think he should still play the Olympics, but needs a few months just recuperating and not playing basketball.

Reply #796907 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

Not a lock but will probably get a last go round in Tokyo.

Reply #796913 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Imo he should still be selected. I wouldn't mind him just playing 3rd string and giving the team some veteran advice. Almost a playing assistant coach.

Reply #796924 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I am not 'all in' on having a third string "veteran advisor", because if you have a few injuries, that advisor is going to have to play.

If you're going to get more on court out of Will Magnay than Andrew Bogut at this point, then Will Magnay would be who I take. But with the right recovery I still believe Bogut will effect more things on the court than Magnay, and that's why Bogut remains my choice... for now anyway.

Reply #796926 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree with picking him anyway even if he effectively becomes a glorified assistant coach. The Olympics is only 6 months away if it were 18 months away I think you rule a line through him but if he doesn't play in the NBA again after the NBL season (as looks likely) he will get plenty of time to rest and recuperate before Tokyo.

Also in international competition the rosters are 12 guys and the reality is 2-3 guys on the end of the bench usually don't get in the rotation in a 2 week long tournament so 'gifting' one spot for Bogut won't hurt.

Reply #796930 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Also in international competition the rosters are 12 guys and the reality is 2-3 guys on the end of the bench usually don't get in the rotation in a 2 week long tournament so 'gifting' one spot for Bogut won't hurt."

Disagree. You need all 12 ready to go. Look what happened at the world cup. You have Gliddon, Sobey and Barlow who weren't ready to go, and that hurt when the medal rounds came.

I still think Bogut will be the best option, if fit, at the Olympics off the bench. But if he's not. And if there is a guy out there who can give more, then that decision has to be made.

Reply #796931 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If Bogut is so unhealthy at that point you obviously cant select him.

I see him being healthy enough and skilled enough to play 15-20 mins as the 3rd string if its necessary, and I can also see him being happy to sit on the bench if he isn't required to play.

Reply #796932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is washed up. Anyone who has watched him closely over the past few months knows this. He's been awesome, but father time has caught up. No way can you can take him to the Olympics.

Reply #796937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK to talk about small ball, but what about the Gasols, Jokic's and other big guys. He definitely should be named based on his dedication to his country. Rather have him than some guy that lived a couple of years here as a toddler. Back is definitely hampering him at the moment, but should get some rest and be the rim protector and rebounder we need as well as a great passer.

Reply #796939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not injured. He's just old. It happens to everyone.

Reply #796940 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think he should be taken into camp and made to prove himself there. If he can give you something close to what he did at the world cup, then it's a no brainer. If he is at the level he's playing at at the moment, you have to give it to someone else. Either way, it pains me to see his decline of late. One of my all-time favourite Australian players but in this finals series he's been closer to Keith Benson.

Reply #796942 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

Baynes will start for Boomers and play 25mins with Bogut good for 10mins.
Thon Maker or Landale can play minutes across 4 and 5 spot.

Reply #796949 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

Hopefully Melbourne win on Thursday so Bogut can get some rest.

Reply #796950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is a champion and is obviously hurt, if fit should go. All those suggesting Thon go are not watching the nba, to say he's been average is compliment. Landale European form has also slowed, he’s had back to back long seasons. There bodies need rest.

Reply #796951 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Barring injury, he's a lock imo.

Is anyone else getting properly concerned about how coronavirus will affect the olympics? I think the games will go ahead but i wouldnt be surprised if big name players (mostly Americans + Simmons) pull out citing coronavirus concerns.

Reply #796957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised if we see another 3rd string team USA, which in turn makes the tournament less meaningful.

Reply #796958 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

He might not be a lock, but I think he should definitely be in the mix. He gives you all that NBA and international experience and he is still a genuine 'footer.

And, in the Boomers, he will have better bigs around him than at Sydney so he can play 10-15 minutes and it helps the team , doesn't harm it.

Reply #796968 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Barring injury, he's a lock imo.

Is anyone else getting properly concerned about how coronavirus will affect the olympics? I think the games will go ahead but i wouldnt be surprised if big name players (mostly Americans + Simmons) pull out citing coronavirus concerns.

"

It's really up to Tokyo right now to prove that they can contain the virus. It is also a thing where it needs to become less of a social issue. The coronavirus is a problem but I am not sure it's nearly as dangerous as the media is making out. If it continues to be the number 1 issue by May I think we might see it being cancelled.

Reply #796974 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

The Olympics will be cancelled or postponed because of the CornaVirus anyway. No way it will clear in the next four months, so stay tuned for that!

Reply #796994 | Report this post

StatsMan  
Years ago

From an Aussie hoops fan living in Asia I can tell you the Australian media is definitely over pumping it. In saying that, some government responses have been less than satisfactory and now the population is paying for it. Compare and contast the response from Singapore vs Korea or Italy. All it takes is good hygiene and a stern government that isn't affraid to take strong action and pump in resources to clean public areas multiple times a day to prevent the spread. The Japanese cruiseliner incident wasn’t a good look, a bit too relaxed. Let’s hope the Olympics go ahead.

Reply #796998 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Don't underestimate experience at international level in major tournaments.

Reply #797295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thread not looking to good.. lmao

Reply #797901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754