Anonymous
Years ago

36ers 4th highest spend on player salaries.

.Over the past two seasons we have invested heavily in our basketball program. The NBL advise that across both years we have recorded the fourth highest spend on player salaries across the league

This was written in a email sent to 36ers members by the CEO Ben Kavenagh

Topic #46993 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of providing the rest of the email for context, please? Context is important in these things ;)

Reply #797001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has clearly been a tough week for the Adelaide 36ers. Change is always hard and last week following the commencement of a post season review, the club and Joey Wright decided it was in both parties' best interests to mutually part ways. In the days following, 36ers’ co-captain published tweets containing allegations against his former coach. The club takes the claims seriously and is currently investigating further as part of the ongoing external review.

It was far from ideal having these issues play out publicly, but we will not shy away from the fact that change is needed. Over the past two seasons we have invested heavily in our basketball program. The NBL advise that across both years we have recorded the fourth highest spend on player salaries across the league. Disappointingly our ladder position has fallen short. We do not accept missing finals and are dedicated to returning Adelaide to 'Title Town’. We understand to make this happen, we need a strong club culture that underpins everything we do. It appears in recent years, there has not been the levels of buy-in to a united direction across the club as needs to be for success to flow. This will be addressed going forward.

Our search for a new coach is underway and we are excited by the possibilities. Please be assured, no stone will be left unturned to find the best person for the job. I look forward to updating once that process is complete.

Aside from falling short of finals expectations, the club has thrived off the court. This season we have attracted our highest average crowds since 1997, with over 100,000 fans flocking to our new home at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre. While attendance has grown by 19 per cent, our membership base also experienced a 33 per cent spike, with 25 per cent being new members. On a corporate front, the year has been a great success with triple the number of corporates compared to the year before and enhanced hospitality options like the Prancing Pony Brewery Deck and courtside corporate boxes at our new home.

Reply #797003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simply not true

Reply #797005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't follow the Sixers but there great for the competition, hope they come good fast.

Reply #797007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's simply not true?

Reply #797013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The amount spent on the roster. Talk to any agent and they will tell you where the 36ers rate on pay

Randle deal was stacked in year 2 and was discounted this year. DJ was the highest paid player and would sit around 4/5 highest paid on most rosters bar Cairns.

Cairns are the lowest spenders with 36ers just above

Hawks had Ogilviy , Boone , Blanchfield And Ball getting paid more than DJ for comparison

Reply #797015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide CEO says they were the fourth highest spenders. Anon on hoops says that's untrue.

Who to believe???

Reply #797017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy, Boone and Blanchfield were all on more than DJ? Shut up you twat.

Reply #797018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if this is gross numbers or does it factor in marquee limits etc?

Reply #797019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy and Boone lucky to just be in the league, let alone being well paid.

Reply #797020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean, it's not that hard to believe. Outside of the big 3 (Melbourne, Sydney, Perth) I don’t think there’s that much between the others.

Reply #797021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know a few agents and let me tell you Adelaide was a destination for a lot of there players because of top dollar for who they were. Drimic at the end of his college career was happy to tell all and it was well over what bench players on other teams get. Johnson is on top pay as well.

Reply #797024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course DJ is on good coin, about the only player other clubs would want.

Reply #797029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh I'm so sick of this team and even the name at this point. I’m all about the finals teams remaining.

Reply #797030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #797037 | Report this post

I assumed he got that stat off this forum since it's been peddled a few times here already.

You cleary have three teams in a league of their own then the rest. Guess someone has to come fourth

Reply #797038 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's a little surprising, and to make this boast he's possibly using the net after marquee allowances. But its not completely shocking.

Obviously you have the big 3, then daylight.
Cairns obviously done exceptionally well on their usual budget.
Hawks, excluding whomever paid Ball, clearly not spending much.
NZ clearly don't have the budget they once did, and did well just to be in contention.
Brissy has guys like Sobey, Gliddon, and Spuddee who are there in part to Boomers singlets from Uncle Andre, and apart from Patterson their imports were trash.
SEM, I'd be surprised if they were paying less, but its certainly possible. I guess Pineau was probably a bargain, and maybe they got Roberson cheap.

Reply #797040 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Until you see every team's payroll then wtf is the point of talking about it?

Perth really have 3 player's I think that would be on top dollar Kay, White and Cotton.

I'll be interested in Cairns for one, isn't there a minimum a team needs to spend?

Reply #797053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek and Sobey salary triples when they left , Hodgson doubled. 36ers dont spend what they want people to think they spend. Admin wanted people to believe Griffin was on 400k when he was on 25k a month.

Reply #797058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Americans get paid in US dollars after tax plus car and accommodation. On today's currency levels that’s $38000.00 a month after tax. Sixers season went for six months, September to end February. That’s $228000,00 plus tax and accommodation. 400g is on the money.

Reply #797060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except he was on 25k a month
Not all deals are net

Reply #797062 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cats for life, they indicated that the NBL is the source, for whatever that's worth:

The NBL advise that across both years we have recorded the fourth highest spend on player salaries across the league

Reply #797066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll be interested in Cairns for one, isn't there a minimum a team needs to spend?"

I'm trying to remember where I read it, but there was a comment that Cairns have reached the soft cap this year due to performance bonus payments, with their three imports all receiving post-season honours which triggered bonuses.

Reply #797067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would the CEO make up bs? Doesn't make sense to lie. What it does highlight is Joey Wright's mishandling of player recruiting, and that is why you don't put the contracts in the hands of the coach.

Reply #797071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Narrative could be - owner wants everyone to think he is spending more money than he is in the search for glory. Remember we got Adris Deleon because there was no budget to get a top tier import at the time.

Reply #797074 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why would the CEO make up bs?

Because they've devalued the brand so much of the past few years they need to put out PR fluff like this to try and keep the confidence of the fans? Ask yourself why a team would go to the effort to announce this in it's members email? This is all just to make Joey Wright look bad i.e. he couldn't win with a "loaded" roster! A roster full of castoffs actually.

Firstly I highly doubt the Sixers are actually 4th on player salaries might say that on paper at NBL HQ but only $140k of Bogut's $1 million salary counts against the cap so take this statement with a big grain of salt. Secondly even if technically true (which I highly doubt) the Sixers are only spending a fraction of what Melbourne, Sydney & Perth are spending. They're light years beyond us.

IMO Johnson is the only player on the roster that would be on regular big money. Randle was still a free agent come October, so likely his 2 year deal was backloaded for next season so he wouldn't have been on anywhere near the $400k per he was on at the Kings and Griffin had no collateral in the NBL, has never played in the NBA and was cut by three teams last season so...

Reply #797076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean a 'roster full of castoffs' that Joey picked??

Reply #797077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perspective on pay rates is that Drmic is on half what Blanchfield is on.

Dillon was unwanted
White unwanted
Ramone on last year of his cheap multi year
Harry coming on his rookie deal, will move because he will get paid more.
McVeigh is not over paid by comparison to others
Griffin not on 400k, closer to half that.
Randle discounted on year 1 with back end on year 2 which now won't be paid
Teys on budget for long term
DJ highest paid but nowhere near what he could be on elsewhere
Kyei was a QBL player and was cheap

Sobey left for more money
Creek left and got way more money
Hodgson left for double

Take away perceived management / coach issues on the above , they still got paid more than double when they left.

If a team is amongst the highest payers those things wouldn't be happening. It might be 50k more but not double or triple the salary.

36ers haven't landed a big local free agent because they don't pay what others do. Wesley went to Phoenix because the 36ers weren't on the same money. Last big Aussie name to sign with the 36ers was Motum and that wasn't this ownership.

Reply #797078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above - why do you think Joey was restricted to signing "castoffs?" its not self serving to sign castoffs when you are going up against big money and talent. What coach , assuming he has the 4th largest budget in the league , chose to sign rag tag guys for minimum. Surely he would be sitting in his Rolls Royce throwing money at every free agent possible, but that didn't happen now did it.

Joey signed Taylor at the start of the season because of budget restrictions, he didn't go and throw money at an ex NBA vet because he didn't have the budget to do that.

Randle was signed only after the admin got excited that a few thousand more fans turned up to the preseason game. The aussie contingent was already locked in at that point.

Reply #797079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never read so much dribble. All Americans are paid in US dollars net around the world, ask any agent, that's the way it is. In a nut shell Adelaide spent a bucket load on there top 6-7 players including Drimic and McVeigh plus imports plus Johnson and Froling. Froling, Drimic and McVeigh were certainly not Johnson category but well above what other clubs would pay them that’s why they all went there.

Reply #797081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummm no they aren't . They are paid in AUD , they even get Australian superannuation. There deal might be negotiated in US terms but they get paid in AUD at the prevailing rate of the time.

Reply #797082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'The NBL advise that across both years we have recorded the fourth highest spend on player salaries across the league.'
What part of this don't you non-believers understand?
Maybe people didn't want to play for Joey Wright, ever considered that?
And after what has transpired recently, they'd be justified in that determination.

Reply #797083 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Maybe people didn't want to play for Joey Wright, ever considered that?

That or player agents steering their players elsewhere after the Mitch Creek debacle. I think that might be more the reason we had to load the roster up with guys no one else wanted like Kyei, Dillon, White & Teys.

Reply #797088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac get off Joey's pole. He isn't the players coach everyone tries to make out he is. All these threads are totally pointless now. The guy is gone (including his group of bad boys for life) and is now virtually unemployable. It's done. Move on.

Reply #797090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get blocked but the idiot above ^ can carry on

Reply #797105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New coach and new imports is a good starting point for the Sixers.

Reply #797106 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Why would the CEO make up bs? Doesn't make sense to lie. What it does highlight is Joey Wright's mishandling of player recruiting,"

You've answered your own question.

CEO is trotting out the line that he gave Joey the best budget of the "not big 3" and that Joey screwed it up.
It's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is cherry-picking numbers to make his argument.

And at this point, does it really matter?
CEO should be focussing on the future, not continuing his feud with Wright.

Reply #797114 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The argument for inflated salaries is twofold - that the owner wanted to put attention back on Joey's performance, but also that he doesn't want to look like a tightarse around his business friends. Latter may be an explanation why this sort of announcement endures after Joey's departure. Could say it's petty to persist with, but the more they can do to not deter free agents, the better.

Reply #797116 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Isaac and D2.0 I think you are both on the wrong track.

The club is trying to renew confidence in fans as well as get people to re-sign. They are doing this by saying that they are spending the money and that they didn't get the results so they are taking action (being accountable).

If the club said "We aren't spending the money and so the results were expected" that would not instill much confidence going forward.

They have no interest in having a feud with Wright. They are moving on trying to steady the ship.

Reply #797150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But we spent money is hardly an argument Brunson

There is a difference between renewing confidence and outright hoodwinking people

Reply #797153 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cheap shot or raising hope...the fact remains we have spent in the top half of the league and ended up on the bottom half 2 years running.

All this time we have believed that this was a budget team and resolved to accepting things like Adris Deleon and Demetrius Conger.

All this time we were paying overs for this squad.

Although we will move onwards and upwards, it is dissappointing to see that others have done much more with less.

Reply #797155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what you're telling me is that the Sixers were top 4 in money spent but not close to top 4 in performance. Not good!

Reply #797156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next Star salary hasn't been included in that list

Add Ball and Hampton salaries back into the respective teams and 36ers slide to bottom 3 in league spend most likely 8th above Cairns.

Reply #797163 | Report this post

Bye  
Years ago

Need to hurry up and get a coach. We all had doubts he'd coach this year, then the season started and it was confirmed. Surely they’ve been on the hunt since the start of the season.

Reply #797166 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Either they are spending clear money overs on average players or they signed a bunch of average players due to a budget.

Neither is a good look because you've got a bunch of average players.

Why bother to even mention the fourth highest salary? That makes it a lot of wasted money doesn’t it.

Reply #797172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40% of the roster was Teys, White,Dillon and Kyei - must have really over paid on the others then

Reply #797178 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754