Anonymous
Years ago

United vs Kings SF Game 3

Deshon Taylor is the X Factor, here is why.

3-0 vs United ... his energy is contagious, team is missing his aggressiveness, he's the 2nd best shooter percentage wise, he takes the pressure off of Ware of running around guarding the hot man & now doesn’t have legs to make shots. He isn’t the best player, but a glue guy this team needs right now

Stats vs Melbourne
12 points & 3 assists, 2-3 from 3, 22 mins
8 points & 1 assist, 2-3 from 3, 12 mins
5 points & 1 assist, 1-2 from 3, 15 mins

Doesn’t seem like anything but you can compare his effect to Andre Iguodala for that Warriors team ... doing a lot of things that don’t always show up on stat sheet

Topic #46995 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So their X factor is a guy who I believe isn't currently eligible to play unless there is an injury...?

Reply #797023 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Or an "injury".

Reply #797026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't he play as the 3rd import ?

Reply #797027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor was absolute a liability in his first few games, yes he played well in the last few but if kings need him to win there in trouble which they probably are anyway. If the kings of the first 10 rounds turn up they will win but if Bogut injured or Casper out form and they don't get ball movement to spread the D there finished.

Reply #797031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor is the nominated replacement player and not part of the main roster. He can replace any player who is injured or ill (except Didi Louzada as he is a Next Star I believe).

Reply #797033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone be MVP and post the herald sun article "United star: We've been copping abuse all season"

Reply #797052 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Update: Melo Trimble has lashed social media trolls as "childish" ahead of Melbourne United's semi-final showdown in Sydney.

Trimble was among several United stars to be subjected to a barrage of abuse and vitriol after the Game 1 meltdown.

Sydney Kings copped the brunt of the hatred on Monday after its beat down in Melbourne.

“We been going through that all season, people now just noticing that,” Trimble said.

“As basketball players we always go through that, people always got something to say about us whether we play a good game or bad game.

“I’ve been going through that since I was in college, I played for my home town and I was still getting people hating on me, it’s nothing new.

“It’s something us athletes go through but we’re stronger than that, that’s way we play, between the lines, with our brothers.”

Trimble’s comments followed Kings owner Paul Smith outing troll, “Cheryl”, who blasted a player with savage texts on Facebook Messenger less than 30 minutes after the heavy loss to Melbourne.

The attack included: “I hope ur both f---ing ugly useless parents will die from toughest pain in front of u”, “U ugly f---ing pinocchio, and 'U are not able to hit a sea from the ship you ugly f----t”.

United chief executive Vince Crivelli vowed to champion a league-wide approach to combat trolls.

“Unfortunately it’s part of the society we live in today where people feel like it’s their God-given right to hide behind a keyboard and bully or abuse people anonymously or not so online,” Crivelli said.

“I can assure you if it comes from any of our known members or people we wouldn’t tolerate it, there’s no place for it, it’s not necessary.

“All it does is cause harm and abuse and in a world where mental health is such a big issue it’s just not something we should be tolerating.”

But Trimble refused on Tuesday to be distracted by the social media byplay, with Game 3 on Thursday in Sydney a chance to qualify for the grand final series.

“We’re hungrier I feel like,” Trimble said.

“Everyone has been doubting us and saying we shouldn’t be here, us to get swept (by Sydney), so all the pressure is still on them and for us just to go out there and play basketball.

“I feel we really found our swagger ... we’re the most talented team and we’re showing that, we’re going to stay humble, confident and get this win on Thursday.”

Reply #797059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks LV....those trolls will only motivate the players ahead of game 3

Reply #797063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gambling is a heluva drug.

Reply #797065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what does pinocchio mean

Reply #797069 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I said before the series I could see a big upset happening hopefully it happens.

Reply #797089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it’s that much of an upset, it looks like some players at United let egos get in the way but once there was a sniff of finals the knuckled down. They were favourites before a ball was bounced and nothing has changed. I’m just hoping the kings put up a fight.

Reply #797091 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Reasons to think Sydney will win

- They've been the better team all year

- They're more experienced

- They have the best team on paper

- Home court

- They lead United 4-2 including regular season with 3 of those wins by double digits

- Game to game turnarounds are common in playoffs. Refer 1989, 55 and 60 point wins by teams who lost game 2. Or just look pretty much every NBA season this happens

- Casper won't have a 3rd bad game in a row. Ili may continue to defend him brilliantly, but I expect him to find his stroke and things will suddenly look different

Reasons to think United will win

- They've won 7 of 8 quarters this series and +39 across 2 games

- Form. They've been building over the past month, and are playing very well at both ends of the court

- Vickerman is a 2 time championship winning coach who's scouted Sydney well. He's been here before.

- United needs to keep doing what they're doing. Unlike Sydney they don't need to change much going into Game 3

Sydney's reasons are stronger. They deserve favouritism.

I can't wait!

Reply #797094 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sydney's reasons are stronger. They deserve favouritism.

No they don't no team in NBL history has ever come back to win a series after a playoff loss as big as that.

Reply #797095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne has been inconsistent all year. Casper Ware will wake up, other Sydney players will also start hitting shots. Home court advantage, they'll get rolling and win this game!

Reply #797096 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney needs a 46 point turnaround to win

In 1989, the turnarounds for game 3 of the semi finals were 58 and 68 (in 48 minute games obviously).

There are regularly 40 and 50 point turnarounds in NBA playoffs.

Reply #797097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney don't have the answers, a lot will depend if the real Andrew Bogut turns up or the injured one, will Illi get away with his defending on Casper. Trimble and Long are not letting this slide and neither is Vickerman. To late for Sydney to change a lot up, can’t see anything but a Melbourne win, just hope it’s a good game and not a blow out.

Reply #797099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV is so desperate to play the underdog.

Reply #797100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would just like to point out Sydney actually won Q4 on Monday, so that's only 6 quarters won for Melbs over 2 games, and the momentum with the Kings!

Reply #797101 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[LV is so desperate to play the underdog.]

TAB has Sydney at $1.62 and United at $2.30 (United has come in slightly after starting at $2.40)

Sportsbet has Sydney at $1.72 and United at $2.13.

I don't need to try very hard..... United IS the underdog

Reply #797103 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"No they don't no team in NBL history has ever come back to win a series after a playoff loss as big as that."

And most pundits were saying there was no way Melbourne could bounce back after the last quarter capitulation in Game 1. I don't think the manner of the loss in either game is a massive millstone around either team's neck. It's even money the field for mine

Reply #797104 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

United needs to stock up on toilet paper for the inevitable shitting of themselves. Sydney by 15

Reply #797107 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's even money the field for mine

That's fine but for Sydney to win on Thursday night they need to create history.

Reply #797108 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I'm actually not sure if you're trolling zodiac...

Reply #797109 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure how stating an inarguable and undeniable fact could be viewed as trolling but anyway.

Reply #797112 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The stat Zodiac is referring to is the one I quoted from @NBLfacts in two seperate threads during the week. People clearly don't read.

Reply #797117 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

So we have bookies setting a odds based on mathematically equations, risk adjustment and analysis, coming to Sydney being favourites.

But Zodiac says no one has ever won after a defeat that big.....

They're not the same point.

They have favouritism because they deserve it.... that's how it works. Just because something has never happened doesn't change that. It's a straw man argument at every level. Favouritism is favouritism. They are favourites. Whether history needs to be made is redundant (if you do consider that history).

Reply #797119 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's a trivial and unimpressive piece of history, and if they do it, it'll be less worthy of mention than the history they've already made in staying #1 for an entire season.

Reply #797125 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Greggo fair enough.

Reply #797131 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The game comes down to Andrew Bogut. Sydney can survive Caspar Ware being a ghost but they can't continue to survive Andrew Bogut being worse than Keith Benson. If he is not able to deter inside shots, rotations go out of wack. The whole machine falls apart.

I think Bogut is in a bad way right now and I am not confident it's going to change. Vickerman and United have shown the ability to make adjustments, whereas Sydney's win over United seemed almost like a fluke run of shots mixed with United losing their nerve.

I actually think this is going to be a close game, and I pick United to take it. United by 5.

Reply #797149 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Bogut is past it or he's being coached poorly. He offers zero in attack & less in defense.
He simply stands & waits under basket to collect the ball after United ͏score.
United’s defense is awesome. Kings have no way through.
Nothing changes in Sydney town.
The "Violet Crumbles crumble again. As for Casper Ware. Don’t get be started. Suffice to say he’s a passenger in the final series.

Reply #797181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a United supporter. I had written them off weeks ago. I thought we didn’t deserve to make the finals and that we’d get swept. Now I have hope and excitement, but feel like it’s all going to come crashing down on Thursday... It’s been that sort of season!

Reply #797188 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I had this recollection that Casper had struggled against Ili in the past as well, so I checked last season's stats when Ili was a starter for NZ.

Casper averaged 14ppg, shooting 20 from 62, or 32% across those 4 games. Including 3 from 19 from 3. Ili averaged 26 minutes a game across those games.

Vickerman says Ili is the best defender in the league. I'm not sure about that, but he certainly has been the kryptonite for Superman Casper.

Reply #797221 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If United wins tonight, we might see Ili taking on his next challenge: Bryce Cotton.

That would really put him to the test!

Reply #797222 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

X-factor might be Stanton Kidd. Although it go with the home team.

Reply #797223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Casper maintains his 14ppg average from last year, then he'll score 25 points tonight to go with his 7 and 10 in games 1 and 2...

Reply #797227 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Last year there was one game where he shot 24 points on 9-16 and 3-4 from 3. (I have no idea if Ili was on court when he was scoring, or not. It's possible he got going when Ili was sitting).

Across the other 3 games, he averaged 10.7ppg, shooting 24% (11-46) and 0-15 from 3.

Knowing Casper, tonight he'll break the Ili chain and score a few. It's Casper Ware, so he'll be aggressive from tip off. And if shots start falling, look out.

Ili has done an amazing job but Casper is a class player and might lift himself tonight.

Reply #797239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheering for Melbourne big time in this one.

Reply #797240 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Things to watch for:

- Will Sydney change their starting 5?

- What will Sydney's emphasis be offensively?

- Will Casper be aggressive from the get go- I'm assuming yes- if so, what plays will Sydney run for him?

- How hard will Bogut go? Was he injured or just disinterested? Maybe they'll inject him with something pre-game like they often do in the AFL.

- How will the refs call it? If they call soft early fouls, will United adjust like game 1, refusing to get flustered and continue with their brilliant D? Or will the refs go further, turning this into a boring foul fest like some of the regular season matchups between these teams? If so, what impact will that have?

Reply #797293 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

United appearing united for the first time this season!! They will win! #momentum

Reply #797297 | Report this post

Reperio  
Years ago

Should the Kings capitulate and fold tonight, Weaver's position would be untenable in every meaningful way.

One cannot be convinced that Weaver ought to be around long-term in any scenario. The team can win with Weaver at the helm but the team can win a lot more with someone else coaching the club.

The King Owners' really ought to consider the long-term picture. It really is the difference between winning a couple of championships over the next seven or so years and winning multiple championships throughout the same time.

If the Kings lose tonight, he must go.

Reply #797305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just got Melb at $251 to win by over 30pts.

Reply #797309 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Sydney comfortably.

Reply #797311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide was on SEN this arvo, saying no way united drop this game..which naturally means Sydney will win this game.

Reply #797313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why play on a Thursday with half a stadium filled,
would have filled the place if it was on a the weekend.

Reply #797314 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wow

How was that flop by Bruce?

Reply #797315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soft calls have started :(

Reply #797316 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney getting all the calls and no calls here

Reply #797317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney getting the early calls. Bruce is a flog.

Reply #797318 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Refs doing their best to ruin the game early. Trying to help Kings as best as possible.

Reply #797319 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Massive home cooking in this 1st quarter

This is why Sydney deserved favouritism. Home court advantage

Reply #797320 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

These reffs are an embarrassment

Reply #797321 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Awful free throw shooting Kings

Reply #797322 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Whats with these calls, these are playoffs ffs.

Reply #797323 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Foul, foul, foul. Game has no flow. Could be 150 fouls tonight. Let the players decide the game

Reply #797324 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Refs want Sydney to win

Reply #797325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs kill the contest again.... SOFT...

Reply #797326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United won't have 5 players to finish the game!

Reply #797327 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

20min first quarter because the reffs are blowing on EVERY play.

Reply #797328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love how everyone goes on about the league wanting United to win but this is so one sided to Sydney it's a joke.

Reply #797329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They want Sydney to win this one.

Reply #797330 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

@Timberball. You said it.
Refs have ruined the game already. Multiple United players on 2 fouls at end of 1st 1/4.
Can see a few guys fouling out tonight if refs don't ease up & let the players play.

Reply #797331 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Any danger of a game thread not turning into a ref sooking fest? Bunch of ten year olds.

Reply #797332 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Both teams have come to play, including Bogut. Should be a ripper

During the season there was a game where the refs ruined the game, calling about 50+ fouls and Sydney won easily

Refs have again decided to blow everything including very soft rebounding fouls on Barlow and Long (meanwhile Bruce elbowed Ili in another rebounding contest and no call...but lets forget that one!)

Sydney's game plan of attacking the hoop is more sustainable in these circumstances.

United can still win but they need to shoot well from outside, or start attacking the hoop and take advantage of the refs like Sydney is. United might find it hard to contain the Kings with these refs. They need to adjust their D somehow and adjust to this nonsense we're seeing

Reply #797333 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Sydney taking it to the bucket

would expect more fouls to be called

Melb shooting from outside

tight game , good game to watch

Reply #797334 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Another SOFT rebounding loose ball foul, this time on Kidd

refs ruining this

Reply #797335 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

McCarron elbowed in head by Bogut. Foul on United. F@%*k off!!!!!

Reply #797336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron should know better than to put his head in Bogut's hand!!!

Reply #797337 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Thought only Perth get home cooking? Smh every home does and that's why it is called hca ffs.

Reply #797338 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Kickert is a turnstile. Useless defender

Reply #797339 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut made the All NBL 2nd team ahead of Long....

hahahahaha.

That is all.

Reply #797340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing for home cooking / home court advantage, another thing to call 13 fouls to 4! Smh

Reply #797341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any danger of a game thread not turning into a ref sooking fest? Bunch of ten year olds.

Why you think they are doing a good job??

Reply #797342 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Well said 342

Reply #797343 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Both teams are firing here

Another great semi final developing

Reply #797344 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Enjoyable game to watch this one

Reply #797345 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

WHat did Barllow do wrong on that play? In position, straight up..Tate forced the contact

Refs are the only thing that can ruin this great game

Reply #797346 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Despite the obvious favouritism United doing quite well to be ahead.

Reply #797347 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

How's Ili's offensive rebounding!?!?

Reply #797348 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

3 Min's left in 1st 1/2. United 1 free throw.

Reply #797349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Weaver subs too much. It's the play offs leave your best players in.

Reply #797350 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It feels like it's only a matter of time before United open the floodgates.

Reply #797351 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Illi playing great D

Reply #797352 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Enjoying watching United shoot the lights out

23 attempted 3s not even half....but hey, at these percentages, keep shooting.

Meanwhile I'm developing a man crush on Shea Ili. Brilliant D on that last play vs Casper

Reply #797353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne looking good despite the one sided calls.

Reply #797354 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

bro this is a do or die game and they are playing THIS defense already allowing 50 points at the half mark.

Crazy.

Reply #797355 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How f*cking offensive is that Hoops Capital logo?

Reply #797356 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Moller just subbed in, and TSM for United

If you believe the Hoops anons, that means SYdney guaranteed to win by 20 now!

Reply #797357 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hoops Capital..hahaha. The city that didnt even have an NBL team for what, 5 years?

Reply #797358 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

tips from here?

Reply #797359 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fouls:

Kidd 3
Barlow 3
CG 2
Long 2
McCarron 2
Acuil 2

United shot the lights out with 11/24, CG very hot

As much as I love CG, unlikely him and United hit another 11 from 24. United With all this foul trouble, but a 5 point lead. I just hope United has the poise to attack the hoop if the 3s stop falling

Game evenly poised heading into 2nd half.

Newley and Lisch looked aggressive early but didnt go on with it. Ili still keeping Casper quiet.

There couldnt be much more pressure on someone than there is on Casper right now

Trimble and Long have silenced their doubters in his series. Right now they have a chance to put the icing on the cake and get to the next level...A grand final!!

Bring it

Reply #797360 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Long early 3rd foul

Sydney just regained favouritism

Reply #797361 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ballsy move by Vickerman leaving him on the floor

Lets hope it pays off!

Reply #797362 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Why dont we just have a 3 point shooting contest?

CG and Trimble on one end

Lisch and Casper at the other

You're not allowed to rebound or contest at the hoop, so why not just keep the game simple?

Reply #797363 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Long's 4th

What a joke

Fighting for a loose ball not allowed

What an absolute joke

Way to ruin an awesome semi final series, refs.

Lets see if you can ruin Perth vs Cairns too.

Reply #797364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible calls, both of them, but, both players also needed to be smarter.

Reply #797365 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

How many fouls have we had on rebounding contests in this game?

7? 8?

How many of them were actually there?

2 or 3?

This has been the greatest NBL semi finals I've ever seen (both series) and the refs are doing their best to ruin it

Reply #797367 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

@LV. No 3 point shoot out as Lisch & Ware are crap

Reply #797368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know its early but im calling Vaughan Mayberry best player for Sydney tonight.

Reply #797369 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ili has earned a starting spot for next season

Uhoh...Casper catching fire, had to happen eventually

Reply #797370 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Ware 3 3's. Coach benches him. Weavers a moron

Reply #797371 | Report this post

Doggr  
Years ago

I wanna see more of bill weaver when the camera pans to him. The chick in the background is well built. Lol.

Reply #797372 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Acuil and TSM struggling

Roll the dice? Bring Kidd back on?

Reply #797373 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Gaze just nailed it

Reply #797374 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Impressed with the defense of both McCarron and Ili.

United in a good position with both of them signed for next season

Reply #797375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron is a bloody grub!

Reply #797376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a joke when there are good players stuck on the bench for one team on iffy calls. I’m losing interest.

Reply #797377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentary Team: You can feel the atmosphere in the stadium change.... I am watching on a TV screen like them and cant gauge the feeling at the game...

Reply #797378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Impressed with the defense of both McCarron and Ili.

United in a good position with both of them signed for next season

Ha you've changed your tune pretty quickly on McCarron!

Reply #797379 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This is the NBL, this was bound to happen

United have to block out all the noise, stay committed, stay focused. They're doing alright.

Reply #797380 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LIFT United FFS!

Reply #797381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney looking good here.

Reply #797382 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Ha you've changed your tune pretty quickly on McCarron!]

I like McCarron

I just said he's not a star, not top 15 players in the NBL or anything, and that he's not a big scorer

Reply #797383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks has been great tonight.

Reply #797384 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

swings and roundabouts

Reply #797385 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut AND Ili

Put your whistles AWAY

Let em PLAY

Reply #797386 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

#Seeincredible

#SeeNetball

Reply #797387 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow Trimble of all people tenacious in the Kings backcourt and gets the turnover.

Reply #797388 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

with tenacious D*

Reply #797389 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Clear out of bounds by SYD yet ball awarded to them and Louzada hits a three. That potentially is five point swing. Disgusting.

Reply #797390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a total screw job by the refs. Sydney is terrible just getting a helping hand by the refs. Perth or Cairns will demolish the kings in a fair reffing game

Reply #797391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same old bullshit from NBL refs. The problem is all the young refs end up mimicking Mayberry/Aylen in making themselves the focal point. Desperately need some new blood.

Reply #797392 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

McCarron has been huge tonight

Reply #797393 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A-League use foreign refs for important and derby matches to make sure there is no bias. We need something similar.

Reply #797394 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Clear out of bounds by Stanton Kidd

Swings and roundabouts

Reply #797396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

27-15 is a few more swings

Reply #797397 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ili offensive rebounding! HUSTLE!

Reply #797398 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Incredibly MEL lead.

Reply #797399 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

397 - stop whinging

MU did not drive in the first half

Reply #797400 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

MU did not drive in the first half...

But they did try to rebound. That's not allowed.

Reply #797401 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Lol Trimble plays for call and gives up a wide open 3

Reply #797402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is so rigged. Sydney are allowed to play as physical as they want but when it's Melbourne it’s a foul.

Reply #797404 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sydney are incapable of fouling according to these refs. So sad to be witnessing this.

Reply #797405 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Goulding why...

Reply #797408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth get this sort of home cooking, Cairns can go home at HT

Reply #797411 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Don't rush or anything, Mitch. Plenty of time left.

Reply #797412 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

For a PG McCarron has no awareness.

Reply #797414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth hasn't seen this level of home cooking in some time.

Reply #797416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth hasn't seen this level of home cooking in some time.

Reply #797417 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sydney eat banquets for their home cooking.

Reply #797418 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney is so brittle

Relied on United's all-time choke to win game 1

Gave up a 38-0 run and were down 58 in Game 2

Won game 3 after their opponent wasn't allowed to play defense or rebound, two critical elements in the game of basketball.

If you can't win easily when it's 8 on 5 then something's badly wrong.

Perth will beat them. Plumlee will own them on the inside.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll actually be hoping Perth wins

(Unless Cairns wins tonight, in which case...Go Taipans)

Reply #797419 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#AnyoneButSydney

Looks like it will have to be done the long and hard way.

Reply #797420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Casey talking about Sydney doing it against the odds. What the hell is he talking about? Top of the ladder all year, majority of calls going their way and they can only win by 2.

Reply #797421 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Perthworld / LV stop crying

Reply #797422 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kings are one of the most unconvincing Grand Finalists after their performance in this series.

Reply #797423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut bought his usual humility shaking hands with Goulding...

Reply #797424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop being a sore loser LV

Reply #797425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

421: Summed up perfectly

Reply #797426 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Umpires ruined that.

Reply #797427 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No way those umps are getting a go in the final series.

Reply #797428 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not being a sore loser

I havent been to an NBL game all season (first time in 20 years), I'm not a die hard United fan. Just wanna see good basketball

The NBL semi finals was absolutely incredible across the first four games....until tonight. Tonight was ruined by the refs.

Apologies to Tohi Smith Milner, but I didn't turn on my TV hoping to watch him tonight.

Reply #797429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the umpires ruin it or did they do as asked?

Reply #797430 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good luck tonight, Perth fans!

Reply #797431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man I have never heard so much BS Perthworld. Melbourne Untied Crumbles had all before them in game 1. Yet choked in the last 6 minutes.
The 2nd game the Kings were crushed. Smacked, belted and buried. Now they Kings come back after trailing most of the game and get the W. #Courageous. Bringit it on.

Reply #797432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze bias towards Sydney is embarrassing. What other sport commentary team has last years coach calling the game.

Reply #797433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs have been bad all year. This isn't new.

With that being said, I’m happy that Sydney won this. They’ve been top of the ladder all season and deserve to be in the final.

Reply #797434 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

True United are also immense spuds pissing away the series. Why couldn't they let both teams not just one play tonight though? It's supposed to be entertainment.

Reply #797435 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seriously - it's a finals game - put the whistle away. They had no idea about how to umpire a finals game. Embarrassing for the comp.

Reply #797436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Twitter replies absolutely shredding the refs. Looks like most people are in unison about the absolutely shitfest we had to sit through.

Reply #797437 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In the last quarter, we should be seeing the competitors go at it

Instead, we saw United playing half hearted D because most of the team was in foul trouble.

Long, who was possibly the most dominant player over the first 2.5 games, was relegated to a bystander at times (eg: When Tate walked around him in the low post) as he tentatively avoided another foul

I don't care who you support, you don't wanna see that

Reply #797439 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Unprofessional. No game sense. Embarrassing. Ruined the game.

Reply #797440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game ruined by umpires deciding to officiate game differently than previous 2 games and regular season. All 3 umpires should not get a gig for the GF series.

Reply #797441 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

437 - the whinging on this forum?

Reply #797442 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Check out NBL facebook page

NBL will have a close look at these refs

If you think this is just a few disgruntled ppl whinging here, think again or even better, open your eyes next time

Reply #797446 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There are always a few contrarians.

Reply #797447 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

LV - yep I do think it is a few disgruntled having a whinge, no doubt

Reply #797448 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Need to move to 6 fouls if they are going to umpire like that. I thought the league was trying to increase its popularity ... looks like the impact missed the memo.

Reply #797449 | Report this post

Mat  
Years ago

Sydney has beaten Melbourne 5 of the last 6 games. Cry all you want.

Reply #797450 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The "Kings must win" memo was sitting on top of all the other ones.

Reply #797451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

434: Exactly Refs have been awful all year unfortunately tonight inst an anomaly its the norm...

Reply #797452 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm a Kings fan ... and even I can see how crap that umpiring was. We’ll get smashed by Perth or Cairns ... unless we get the same refs!

Reply #797454 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[LV - yep I do think it is a few disgruntled having a whinge, no doubt]

Except it's not a few

Virtually every single comment is pointing out how bad the refs were, and stacks of people are liking the comments

Reply #797456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL want to increase TV ratings then they need to realise that viewers don't want to be watching: free trows, marquee players fouled out and refs watching replays.....

Reply #797462 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

J O K E

Reply #797463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is done. Plumlee or Jarwai will destroy him.

Reply #797464 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

reckon some of the posters here need to take up reffing - plenty of experts

Reply #797465 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LK thinks handing Sydney a title will help the league. Meanwhile in the process of doing so destroying all of the reasons viewers watch in the first place.

Reply #797466 | Report this post

Geoff  
Years ago

Hey Scout - that was a great show of reffing don't you think? Seriously mate. Tough job I know, but these guys are supposed to our best.

Reply #797467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had money on the kings, but I can't lie that game was fixed.

Reply #797469 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

nbl.com.au headline:

"Kings Show Heart to Hit Back and Reach Grand Final"

More like refs show whistle.

Reply #797492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Twitter replies absolutely shredding the refs." So not only are there fans on here that don't know the rules but there are the same number of fans on Twitter that don't understand the rules as well. Happy to cut the tape down and review the calls yo don't understand.

Reply #797495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did Bogut say to bubbles after the game ? Bubbles looked shocked

Reply #797497 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bubbles looked shocked

That's just how he looks permanently.

Reply #797500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut would have said "get a game"

Reply #797503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an Adelaide supporter who hates Melbourne....I can't believe I’m saying it but I feeling sorry for United players. the home cooking was embarrassing. This is not a good look for the league.

Mccarron getting a foul called on him for getting whacked in the face by Bogut was mind blowing.

3rd Q Trimble puts his arm out and Bruce goes down like he’s been shot and it’s called on Trimble. I can accept that call if the refs are consistent....2 mins to go in the game and scores are level, Lisch puts his arm out in the exact same fashion, Trimble goes down. No foul. Lisch hits a 3 and that’s the ball game. Fkn embarrassing.

Reply #797536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Happy to cut the tape down and review the calls yo don't understand."

Go on then. We'll wait.

Reply #797537 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As an Adelaide supporter who hates Melbourne....I can't believe I'm saying it but I feeling sorry for United players.

This. It's funny how hate can change so quickly in the space of a season. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Reply #797538 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This game will unfortunately be remembered as a stain on an amazing NBL season, where interest has been at an all time high

People are all talking about the refs.

Reply #797539 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My hate for Perth is dropping away

Sydney get Didi Louzada and the NBL pays his salary, which is fine.

What's not fine is him being classified a non-import.

Then they win like that tonight.

Go Perth!

Reply #797541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Happy to cut the tape down and review the calls yo don't understand.
Go on then. We'll wait."

Great give me your name and email address and happy to do it

Reply #797542 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can't wait for the GF series Sydney vs. Everyone.

Who would've predicted there would be more disdain for the side playing against the Wildcats. Incredible cultural transformation effort by the Kings organisation.

Reply #797543 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yep Louzada being classed as a Next Stars player was a disgrace and swapping out Kuany for Xavier Cooks wasn't a good look either. At least they're not still trying to play Taylor that's something.

Reply #797544 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Avoided airing my thoughts because I don't want to be called a sore loser but anon #536 you’ve hit the nail on the head. If you’re going to call it on Trimble, you gotta call it on Lisch.

Unfortunately home cooking is a thing in NBL. I don’t like it but maybe that’s just the perks of finishing top 2 during the regular season. Sucks. Oh well. Looking forward to footy season now.

Reply #797545 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm getting that vibe too. It's like we're being out-hated by the Kings. Not sure how I feel about it ... it's weird.

Reply #797546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sooks

Reply #797548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like Collingwood I barrack for anyone playing the Magpies or anyone playing the Wildcats. Go the Kings.

Reply #797550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne should have played better all season, it gets you home court advantage, fuck me perthworld whinging about refs, obviously never seen a game in Perth, the home cooking capital of the world.
Weaver keeps subbing like today Perth will eat them.

Reply #797551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow so many salty cum guzzler melbourne fans on here haha

Reply #797552 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Are you saying the fans are salty or the cum is salty?

Reply #797555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both cos we know Perth fans love salt and cum.

Reply #797557 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

TBF I think as many of them are Perth fans unhappy about not having homecourt advantage in the finals. Kings actually made some adjustments offensively and looked more like the team that finished #1 tonight, but still looked a fair way off a team capable of beating Perth 3 times in 5 games.

Reply #797559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ain't nobody giving up their name or email. Post your little refereeing tutorial here bud.

Reply #797560 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

fuck me perthworld

No thanks.

Reply #797563 | Report this post

Years ago

"Wow so many salty cum guzzler Melbourne fans on here haha"

Grow up you weak idiot

Reply #797564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Pongress, the Kings CEO, has tweeted a meme suggesting fans are salty over the Kings winning

Reply #797569 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

The amount of sooking on here is incredible!! LV, really leading the way in that regard. Refs weren't great and missed a few calls - the McCarron/Bogut call and the non call on the Lisch push off on Trimble were the two most glaring - but ultimately United’s choke job and inability to close game 1 cost them the series. Sydney need a lot of improvement if they are to beat Perth in the GF.

Reply #797571 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So Lisch got away with a push off, allowing him to hit the game sealing 3, but nobody should be salty?

Right. Gotcha.

Reply #797573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^You salty sooks lol pmsl sooks

Reply #797574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Gaze bias towards Sydney is embarrassing. What other sport commentary team has last years coach calling the game.)

About time it was a Sydney home game right have ever watched the nba ? Lol #salty sooks lol

Reply #797575 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just watched that replay

Ok, not game sealing (score 87-85, 2 mins left after it dropped) but it was the go- ahead shot.

That's the exact same call they made numerous times throughout the game on both teams. But Lisch got away with it there.

Reply #797576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sook^

Reply #797577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whing ... fucken ... whing BITCHES !!!

Reply #797579 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Sydney beat Melbourne 5 of the last 6. Move on. Go outside. Stop embarrassing yourselves.

Reply #797580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what's the consensus?
Neutrals are pissed off because the refs ruined the game.
United supporters are angry because the most egregious calls went against them.
Sydney supporters are happy because they won.

Reply #797582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Sydney getting past Melbourne after game 2 mauling was one hell of an effort.
Even with HCA can see Perth winning the title.

Reply #797583 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

So if the United fans are going to call out the refs for poor calls and decisions, would they like to talk about that last three mins, where United made so many poor decisions, Long tried to play hero ball jacking up three's, when the better option would be to try and score a two and get the game to OT. Then Mccarron basically walks the ball up court to make a lay up, so many dumb mistakes made, but hey lets blame the refs.

Reply #797587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne lost it during the season, to many egos lost games they should have won. The last month papered over the cracks but eventually it hurt them because of not having home court. Sydney hung tough after a flogging and got a few calls and the win. If both Melbourne and Cairns made free throws in game one of both series we would have a Cairns v Melbourne GF. SUCH IS LIFE.

Perth clearly favourites now. 3-1

Reply #797588 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Surely Mayberry can't get the GF series after tonight’s display.

Contrast to the Syd v CNS game, refs sucked the whistle for a good 6 minutes. Get vocal and let the players sort it out. Great pre-game, great application and excellent understanding of feel for the game.

In contrast Melb were completely ridden for the first 20 minutes with most of the players they needed on the floor with 3 fouls. It let Sydney play the whole second half with minimal defensive pressure, the pressure was on Melbourne to be squeaky clean.

As a crow eater and owner of a kick a vic shirt, there is nothing better than watching Victorians lose. Tonight I felt I didn’t get to enjoy the moment as it was more like watching them get raped instead

Reply #797590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whing ... fucken ... Whing !

Reply #797600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's whinge you clown.

Reply #797603 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Refs destroyed that game!

Reply #797627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats with the home & away idiot throwing toilet paper at the melb announcer after the game?

Reply #797628 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Sydney - what a bunch of floppers!
Bogut would have fallen over if a feather hit him
Bruce, Ware, Cooks ........

Reply #797632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casper was very good last night, got a few buckets, defended excellent and the money ball to Tate late in the forth quarter for the easy lay up was crucial. Ware in the end was an excellent signing for the kings. Trimble has talent and an excellent shooter but was hot and cold throughout the season and has yet learned how to win games down the stretch. Long is a beast but not certain he doesn't let his emotions get in the way of being a true winner.

Reply #797636 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"How was that flop by Bruce?"

It was still a clear offensive foul. I dislike Bruce as much as the next guy but it was a correct call. Either way you argue later it should have been called on Lisch but then don't wont it called on Trimble... Yeah that sounds fair

"Another SOFT rebounding loose ball foul, this time on Kidd"

That was an average call I agree

"WHat did Barllow do wrong on that play? In position, straight up..Tate forced the contact"

Brought his hands down. Correct call

"That's the exact same call they made numerous times throughout the game on both teams. But Lisch got away with it there."

Agreed. It should have been called on Lisch

"Long, who was possibly the most dominant player over the first 2.5 games, was relegated to a bystander at times (eg: When Tate walked around him in the low post) as he tentatively avoided another foul

I don't care who you support, you don't wanna see that"

Which of his four fouls weren't fouls? They were all fouls. You can't just make some general statement implying refs shouldn't call fouls against star players so we can see them play more minutes. If he didn't foul then he would have got more minutes simple as that

In general the 50 50 calls went against Melbourne, that is life on the road. However, I thought the refs were being consistent in that when people drove they protected the offensive player. The issue is Melbourne decided to jack up 3's from the start instead of attacking the basket. In the second quarter they got more calls as they attacked the basket more.

Reply #797646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sook^ Lol this is funny stuff, would you like some toilet paper to cry into? That will be $500 no wait $1000 a roll thanks.

Reply #797659 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Either way you argue later it should have been called on Lisch but then don't wont it called on Trimble... Yeah that sounds fair]

McCarron didn't extend his forearm/ elbow like Lisch did. Both defenders flopped, but Lisch's was actually a foul. McCarron's wasn't.

Reply #797681 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Bogut would have fallen over if a feather hit him"

I lold at this, I made that comment last night and the surrounding Sydney fans weren't happy.

Reply #797727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a reliable source that the Sixers and the kings are after Goulding but his first choice is to remain in Melbourne .

Reply #797770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding signing for Sydney would be hilarious!

Reply #797816 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Swap Goulding + Trimble for Ware + Newley - I'd like to see that

Reply #797818 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

CLUTCH KEV!

https://t.co/SjKQeH1rJN

Funny how many flops Bogut, Casper and Bruce drew fouls on, then a legitimate offensive goes uncalled and helps Sydney to the win

Reply #797860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not an offensive foul. Lisch dribbling and Trimble ran into him and was lucky not to be called for a foul for doing so. Stay salty.

Reply #797861 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What planet are you on? That is absolutely an offensive foul.

Reply #797864 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haha you're joking

Tate got away with a moving screen against Ili on Sydney's previous score too. Foul called on Ili, 2 free throws to Tate

So that was 5 points in a row for Sydney late in the 4th - from 82 to 87 with helpful reffing

United had 13 fouls in the first 12 minutes of this game

5 of the 13 were against guys competing for rebounds

Some of the 13 were simply incorrect (eg Bogut elbowing McCarron in the face and McCarron receiving a foul). Several others were very soft, and hard to detect where the foul was, even after watching the repay numerous times

By that stage after 13 fouls and 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, the damage was half-done. Most of United's rotation was already in early foul trouble

Whoever said LK and NBL favour United will surely never make that claim again

Reply #797866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charging into a player dribbling the ball is a foul every time

Reply #797867 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The league was favouring United for a long time up until recently as LK now wants a Sydney win.

Reply #797871 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[So that was 5 points in a row for Sydney late in the 4th - from 82 to 87 with helpful reffing]

And of course, Sydney won 89 to 87

And this is with the added advantage they already got- most of United's team playing on foul trouble after all the soft/non-existent calls against United early in the game, 13 fouls in the opening 12 minutes

To say that Sydney was lucky and got helped to their win by the refs, would be an understatement

Still, this is the NBL. We all know this happens regularly (even though Thursday night was the most egregious example in memory). Despite all the progress the NBL has made, the reffing hasn't made the same progress and it's not showing signs of improving anytime soon. The lesson for United is, don't stuff up your regular season. Earn home court advantage.

Reply #797872 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[most of United's team playing on foul trouble ]

And it should also be pointed out that Sydney took the lead during the 3rd quarter when TSM and JLA were on court, because Kidd, Barlow and Long were in foul trouble.

Absolutely no doubt, if the reffing had been even close to 50/50 in this game, United would've won.

Again, this is the NBL. 2 years in a row United have had a sub par regular season. Last year losing to Cairns and giving up top spot, this year the inexplicable poor run of form from Boxing Day to early Feb). Get your stuff together earlier, earn top spot, and you won't have to put up with an unfair end to your season next year

(Although- I'm not saying that is true of 2019. Perth were well and truly the better team)

Reply #797874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I fail to see why there should be a 50/50 foul count. That's ludicrous.

Reply #798115 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Boti:

The officiating was overly officious and appalling. And one-sided.

...Honestly, as an analyst with no stake in the game and not an especially huge fan of United, it was difficult to watch with anything but growing consternation.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/stunning-upsets-tonight/

Reply #798159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754