Curtley
Years ago

NBL Grand Final Series Schedule

The NBL has got a lot right lately, but having game 2 coincide with a Friday night NRL double header and games 4 and 5 (if required) coming at the same time as the AFL opening round is pure insanity.

Surely this needs to change for next season, it's not rocket science. All NBL finals should be finished by the Thursday in the second week of March, when NRL season opens.

Topic #47004 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair - in Melbourne and Perth which are two of the three most likely teams to play in grand finals every year, nobody cares about NRL. Avoiding AFL is a smart idea though.

Reply #797592 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

That's irrelevant. You can't just hope none of the four teams from NSW/QLD don't make the NBL finals every year so there's no clash.

Reply #797593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 people and a dog go and watch NRL live so it's a non-issue. That’s what the record button is for on your IQ.

Reply #797598 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

This season did have the extra gap due to FIBA gap. NRL gets less crowd than a suburban netball game.

Reply #797599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 1: Sunday 8 March at Qudos Bank Arena, 5:00pm AEDT

Game 2: Friday 13 March at RAC Arena, 6.30pm local/9:30pm AEDT

Game 3: Sunday 15 March at Qudos Bank Arena, 5:00pm AEDT

Game 4 (if required): Friday 20 March at RAC Arena, 6.30pm local/9:30pm AEDT

Game 5 (if required) : Sunday 22 March at Qudos Bank Arena, 5:00pm AEDT

All Grand Final games will be broadcast live on SBS VICELAND and ESPN.

Reply #797601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if no playoff players are playing FIBA games then why do we need a gap? Just play the FIBA games alongside the playoffs

Reply #797602 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Because of coaches.

Otherwise, that would be a good idea.

Actually, Brett Brown isn't there anyway. They could go one step further and let NBL coaches stay with their NBL teams.

Reply #797606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Get one of the non playoff coaches to coach the team, or someone else entirely. It doesn't matter - who gives a crap about Asia cup qualifiers anyway?

Play the games in a non playoff city so the fans can go see some basketball and everyone wins.

Reply #797610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ili and Smith-Milner played for NZ

Reply #797612 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I agree that the NBL should avoid both football codes. I personally would like to see the schedule condensed slightly further so that all 28 games are played over 14 rounds. Then have set breaks in the schedule with no games when FIBA qualification is on and perhaps one or two other times per season.

The season would then run through October, November, December and January with Finals through February. This avoids opening round of the football and still allows plenty of rest.

Reply #797613 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No.

Who cares about NRL and AFL. NBL are doing their own thing. NBL was at its most popular when played during the winter but this myth keeps being regurgitated.

Also the season is way too short and needs to be extended.

Reply #797617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there was too big of a break between the end of the regular season and round 1.
They need to get it kicked off earlier so the entire finals are completed prior to the start of AFL/NRL

Reply #797778 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

There will always be clash issues at this time of year. Nothing the NBL can do about it. The league should be able to hold its own though and compete with the other codes. Yes its not ideal, and the NBL does take a back seat (which is unfair but thats how it is), although im sure the Kings and Wildcats will pack their games out and in the end it will be the highest attended grand final series in history if it goes the distance.

Reply #797780 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As I say, should get NBLs one millionth spectator, for the season, in game 5.

Reply #797794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That record will have to wait for next year because Perth about to be swept

Reply #797796 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't care who wins, I just want it to be a sweep because I can't attend game four.

Reply #797798 | Report this post

Sausage Roll  
Years ago

I'm getting sick of this constant pandering to Sydney. I for one don't think its good for the league. Perf should be favourites, they are clearly the better team at this end of the season. But the league has fucked them right up the claker with this schedule. When Perf travels to Sydney, its always a rush, 3 day gap, 2 day gap, and another 2 day gap if game 5 is needed. But Sydney travelling back the other way gets a 5 day break each time.

Reply #797834 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Perth has been in Grand final every year for last 1000 years. Sydney first time in 12. Constant pandering for Sydney? Ask your mother to read over your posts before pushing the button.

Reply #797836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney first time in 12. Constant pandering for Sydney? what has one thing go to do with the other, you dipshit tweaker? I suggest you lay off the meth.

Reply #797863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754