LoveBroker
Years ago

COVID-19 and its potential impact on the NBL

COVID-19 shows no sign of going away.

We have more and more reports of infected people irresponsibly going to public events.

Worldwide we are seeing some precedence where Serie A games are played at empty stadiums and the league itself may even call off the season.

Many concert events are just being cancelled altogether.

Does anyone think it is even possible that the NBL could do soemthing similar if COVID-19 was really an imminent threat to fans, players, staff at games?

What are some of the options we could have :
- Risk it and continue as is towards a best of 5?

- Call it now best of 3 (thereby giving the Kings a chance)?

- It's very late, but call it now and delcare the Wildcats Champions? But it would give Sydney no chance to recover and the Wildcats would have no way of celebrating. Like winning a Gold Medal 5 years down the track when the previous Gold Medalist has been found guilty of prohibited substances.

- Or make it a 2 game series and bring in Points For / Against if Game 2 was too late to cancel but Game 3 is just not possible?

Topic #47021 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Potentially might impact the Kings however so long as Damian Martin in the squad I think he'll be able to defend the club against anything that comes our way.

Reply #798443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^That's good I like that

Reply #798457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad it now has it's own thread.

Reply #798467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats should win. I think the home crowd on Friday, plus the short turnaround time for Sundays game works in their favour.

Reply #798471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah not happening lol no game or no crowd.

Reply #798474 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It won't be an issue in Perth with only 9 cases

An infected person attended Rugby at AAMI Park this week. They're cleaning the stadium and hosting soccer this weekend.

But these things move fast. It's not outside the realms of possibility that games 4 and 5 are impacted, or even game 3 if NSW has enough new cases in the next 4 days.

Reply #798476 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think worst case scenario from here would be that they ban crowds from attending but still play the next 2 games. Still worth doing that for TV.

Imagine how well we will be able to hear Gleeson with no crowd or music to drown him out!

Reply #798477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we blaming Joey for this too?

Reply #798480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the West, Perth were on the same QANTAS flight as a confirmed COVID-19 carrier earlier this week but were not seated anywhere near the infected party.

Reply #798481 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yet another reason for Perth to go 3-0. Let's do it.

Reply #798483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are we blaming Joey for this too?"

Joey Wright? The has been who joked in a group chat, that he wished his players would kill themselves? I thought it was common knowledge to never mention this person again.

This Virus has potential for 1 person to infect on avg 2.5, so from the NBL point of view, with the way the season has been a success, good timing, that the season has been able to finish basically.

AFL will lose big money this season.

Reply #798484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I did see a soccer game somewhere in EU with no crowd.

Reply #798488 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

It's also flu season... doesn't seem to affect the games.
Flu kills way more people than Corona virus.
The main stream media has people in a paranoid frenzy.

As long as the stadiums have enough toilet paper they should be good.

Reply #798489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are promoting a new release of tickets for Game 3, so they're certainly not anticipating any issues at the moment - and you’d assume they’re getting some official advice on the matter. That new release is likely the upper tier going on sale, which would also suggest sales aren’t significantly impacted in any way. Opening the upper tier would mean they’re already over 10k sold, although granted sometimes this sort of thing can be about giving off the appearance of a selling-fast event, even if it’s not quite the case.

Anyway, I think game 4-5 might be an issue, if required, and if so – would they bother with setting up and opening up super expensive stadiums if there’ll be no punters, and flying teams between Sydney and Perth? Or could they perhaps go to a neutral city and venue that’s NBL suitable and game ready (like MSAC in Melbourne) and just playing the games over two days (if both required). The restrictions might be over crowds of a certain size or above, so perhaps you could let in a few hundred at that venue to give it at least some atmosphere. Maybe open it up for free for local association kids (who are also low-risk with the virus) – would be kinda cool.

Reply #798490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said it was common knowledge to never mention Joey again?

Reply #798491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Who said it was common knowledge to never mention Joey again?"

Any decent human being who wants to move past his deplorable behaviour. And the abundance of threads discussing it. Plus this is a corona Virus thread, completely different type of virus.

This is a virus that's very different to the common flu, the media has over done it, BUT if you take off your 'media is always lying to us' tin foil hat, you will see the scenes in Italy etc are very real, and its effecting populations in very FAST time spans, compared to the common flu etc

The NBA finals will be a ghost town imo, crazy to think!

Reply #798492 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Good Point Luuuc,

Going ahead with the games sans crowd is definitely a reasonable option.

I am sure there are music overlays we can apply to certain events.

Eg. Where a certain coach opens his mouth, play morning bird chirps, else live music.

Reply #798493 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats Statement

The West Australian Department of Health has confirmed that one of WA's new COVID-19 (Coronavirus) patients travelled on the same flight as the Perth Wildcats from Sydney to Perth on Monday.

However, the Department of Health has advised the club that given Perth Wildcats players, coaches and staff were seated in a different area of the plane, they are not considered to be high-risk and as such won’t require testing or isolation.

A passenger is only considered high-risk if they were seated within two seats of the patient.

Perth Wildcats players, coaches and staff have not displayed any flu-like symptoms.

The club will continue to follow the advice of the Department of Health and is preparing as normal for Game Two of its Grand Final series against the Sydney Kings on Friday night at RAC Arena.

Reply #798494 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Surely all that guy had to do was cough into the air and it re-circulated again and again in the cabin?

Reply #798495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link

If places as secluded as Adelaide can be affected, we have no hope. Perth wins 1-0

Reply #798496 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think planes have pretty serious air filtration systems, so any recirculating air would be clean.

Reply #798497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the good pandemics happen around US election times then slow down, just another way the government controls the voters. Only if you're old and/or have health problems do you have to worry. All this crap about sporting events being played in front of no crowds is just a media beatup.

Reply #798500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, I hope you're right, I just did a long haul flight and was moderately paranoid the whole way. So many different cultures travel in different ways. Some shows off, some masks, some cough openly, felt like a sess pool of filth lol

Reply #798501 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would airlines filter air when it's cheaper not to?

According to a QI episode from about 20 years ago air quality on planes went down significantly after smoking was banned as there was no need to filter air anywhere near as much.

The information may be out of date but the principle certainly isn't.

Reply #798502 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What is the principle? That cigarette smoke is the only thing worth filtering out of the air?

Reply #798503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of tinfoil hat wearers on Hoops tonight.

Reply #798504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As countries around the world take increasingly drastic measures to slow the coronavirus outbreak, a new study has found the disease can travel twice as far as the official "safe distance" on public transport.

The research, completed by a team of Chinese government epidemiologists, found that a passenger - unaware that they had coronavirus – infected up to 13 other people travelling on the same bus in a matter of hours.

The virus that causes COVID-19 can linger in the air for at least 30 minutes and travel up to 4.5m – further than the distance people have been advised to keep from each other by health authorities around the world.
“It can be confirmed that in a closed environment with airconditioning, the transmission distance of the new coronavirus will exceed the commonly recognised safe distance,” the researchers wrote in a paper published in Practical Preventive Medicine last Friday.

The paper also highlighted the risk that the virus – which has infected more than 110,000 people around the world and at least 100 people in Australia – could remain afloat even after the carrier had left the bus.

Based on a local outbreak case on January 22 during the peak Lunar New Year travel season, the research followed a passenger who boarded a fully booked long-distance bus and sat in the second row from the back.

The passenger, known as “A”, already felt unwell. But China was yet to declare the coronavirus outbreak a national crisis, so the passenger did not wear a mask, nor did the driver or most of the other passengers on the 48-seat bus.

Reply #798506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Lots of tinfoil hat wearers on Hoops tonight.)

Why haven't they told us tinfoil hats stop Coronavirus, thanks for the tip mate :)
Are you warring one to the game?

Reply #798507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(It's also flu season... doesn't seem to affect the games.
The main stream media has people in a paranoid frenzy.)

The Coronavirus spreads 4x faster than than the flu, don't listen to trump.

Reply #798509 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What's this about a safe distance on public transport?

I spent about 1.5 hours today between 2 trams and 2 trains, if 4.5m is the danger distance then I've got about 400 people who potentially infected me.

Doesn't seem to be worrying people on the streets.

Some of us read the news incessantly; most don't.

Reply #798510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might want to check the NBL coronavirus press release from 30 mins ago!

Reply #798512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV doesn't need to read it. His team is done.

Reply #798514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we were actually being responsible, they would play in an empty stadium beginning Friday. Same goes for the F1. The problem is the liberal government won't do shit until it's too late, and then we'll all be up the proverbial. It's the bushfires all over again, only about 1000x worse.

Reply #798515 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The "flu kills more than coronavirus" argument will be seriously outdated if the coronavirus becomes widespread. The death rate is much higher than the seasonal flu, especially for older generations. The transmission rate appears to be significantly higher too.

Reply #798518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Might want to check the NBL coronavirus press release from 30 mins ago!)

This is when the NBL will be liable if someone in the crowd is infected with Coronavirus, the wildcats team should be in 14 day lockdown the NBL knows about this now, if you get Coronavirus after attending the game you can sue the NBL. Also if any Sydney players get infected they could sue the NBL as well for negligence. This could get really ugly for the NBL.

Same with the f1 Organization after 3 mechanics have self isolated in their hotel rooms. Not good.

Reply #798525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Law suit? Give it a rest mate. You would get laughed out of court.

The health of the community at large is the primary factor. If I was over 50, there is no way I'd be going to any large gathering like an NBL game any time soon. The spread has already begun, and it's unstoppable.

Reply #798529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because every airline in the world is currently being sued. Still eating I see.

Reply #798531 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah but where do you draw the line - someone can just as easily get it at the supermarket, restaurant, on public transport, at work?
So great, stop one major way of contracting it (sporting events) but there's heaps of other ways to catch it.

I mean I can understand Serie A been played in empty stadiums (risk of cutting season) but that's literally because so much of Italy is actually in full shutdown - places are like ghost towns.

Until parts of Australia (major cities like Sydney or Perth) went into full shutdown, my head couldn't get around the idea of cancelling NBL games - basically saying, well there's probably hundreds ways you can catch this thing on a daily basis, but hey lets just cancel NBL games just so we can eliminate one of these ways;

Reply #798534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol you idiots ( I don't like to call people that lightly)it’s now a pandemic do you really think it’s a good idea to go spectate now?
Hay eat a dick guy ........ eat a dick lolololol are you still going to the game ?

1h agoMarch 12, 2020
HIGHLIGHT
Coronavirus patient visits Perth supermarket

Phoebe Loomes
A Woolworths in Perth has warned customers that a person infected with the coronavirus shopped at the supermarket on the weekend.

The Livingston Marketplace Woolies in Canning Vale in Perth's southern suburbs posted a customer notice yesterday, saying the Department of Health of Western Australia had contacted them over the customer's visit.

Reply #798537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anyone from here live and shop in this area? How about you eat a dick guy? How about you macdub? Be careful guys this is no joke.

Reply #798539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1h agoMarch 12, 2020
HIGHLIGHT
Coronavirus panic hits the NBA

Alex Blair

The NBA's Golden State Warriors will play their Thursday home game without spectators because of concerns about coronavirus.

The decision was announced shortly after the city and county of San Francisco announced a two-week ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people in a bid to slow the spread of the virus.

Reply #798540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Due to escalating concerns about the spread of COVID-19 and in consultation with the City and County of San Francisco, the Golden State Warriors announced today that tomorrow night's game vs the Brooklyn Nets at Chase Center will be played without fans," the team said in a statement.

Reply #798541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I am still going to the game

Reply #798542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The World Health Organization declared coronavirus a pandemic, with WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus saying: "We are deeply concerned both by the alarming levels of spread and severity — and by the alarming levels of inaction."

Reply #798544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see you can still cut and paste

Reply #798545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think planes have pretty serious air filtration systems, so any recirculating air would be clean."

Yeah that's exctly what the Captain said on the good ship SS Coronavirus. (Diamond Princess)

Reply #798546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Yes I am still going to the game)

Be careful and make sure older members of your family are out of harms way when you become infected.

#anyonebutCoronavirus

Reply #798547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't have any older family members smh

Reply #798550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think planes have pretty serious air filtration systems, so any recirculating air would be clean."

Yeah that's exctly what the Captain said on the good ship SS Coronavirus. (Diamond Princess)

Haha yes since we all know that cruise ships and planes are built exactly the same way

Reply #798555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB, it's about controlling what you can control, and measuring the impact. It's easy to say don't go to church or the basketball game. It's easy to say that if you can work from home, great, please do it. It's hard to say keep your kids home from school for a few weeks and see how it throws the lives of families who can't work from home into chaos (and isn't necessarily the best thing for the kids), or say don't go to the local family run restaurant and watch thousands of those go out of business within weeks.
Those things will likely be 'next', but you hold off for as long as you can and hope that's not the case. In the meantime, yeah, you don't *need* to go to the pro-sports event that you can watch on TV, so let's start there.

Reply #798557 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've created a separate thread for the impact on general basketball games. At the very least, it's interesting to see how leagues react.

NBL statement:

The NBL is monitoring the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation closely. The health and welfare of players, staff, officials and fans is paramount and we are communicating with the Perth Wildcats, Sydney Kings, Australian Basketball Players' Association (ABPA) and venues ahead of this weekend’s Grand Final games in Perth and Sydney.

At this stage we do not anticipate any impact on this weekend’s games but we will continue to monitor the situation and take advice from the relevant health authorities as well as our medical officer and act accordingly.

Reply #798558 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

As stated above, influenza has killed more people than COVID-19, thus far.

Influenza has an R0 of between 1.1 and 1.5 (Nikbakht, Baneshi, Bahrampour, Hosseinnataj, Comparison of methods to Estimate Basic Reproduction Number (R0) of influenza, Using Canada 2009 and 2017-18 A (H1N1) Data, J Res Med Sci. 2019; 24: 67). Best estimates to date indicate COVID-19 has an R0 of 2.2 (Cascella, Rajnik, Cuomo, Dulebohn, Di Napoli, Features, Evaluation and Treatment Coronavirus (COVID-19), StatPearls, March 8), available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/). So COVID-19 spreads more easily than influenza in an unprotected population.

Since we have moderately effective flu vaccines, there is additional protection in the general community that further reduces the spread of influenza. Influenza is also more prevalent in winter months, in temperate climates such as Australia's. There is no base level of protection in the community against the spread of COVID-19 and indications to date are that summer weather is not a protective factor.

The Case Fatality Rate CFR) for influenza in the 2017 Australian flu epidemic was about 0.5% of laboratory confirmed cases (1,255 influenza deaths in about 251,000 lab confirmed cases, National Influenza Surveillance Scheme). Not every person who gets the flu is lab tested, so that CFR woudl be smaller for all symptomatic cases. In the USA, the Center for Disease Control reported a CFR of about 0.1% for symptomatic flu cases in 2017-18.

Based on the WHO Health Emergency Dashboard (as at 12 March), the CFR for COVID-19 is about 3.6% - 4,292 deaths from 118,382 cases.

So COVID-19 spreads faster than flu and the chance of death is about 35 times that of flu, if contracted. There's currently no vaccine to help reduce the spread.

So yes, influenza has killed more people than COVID-19. Nonetheless, the likelihood is that in the 12-24 months it'll take to develop, test, mass produce and distribute an effective vaccine, COVID-19 will kill more people than the flu.

Reply #798563 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'm at the point of give me COVID-19 now, I'll quarantine for 14 days, work from home whatever, think it would be much better to knowingly get and act accordingly than to get a sneak attack come winter...

Reply #798565 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Andrew
Yesterday

It's also flu season... doesn't seem to affect the games.
The main stream media has people in a paranoid frenzy.

As long as the stadiums have enough toilet paper they should be good.

You are absolutely correct when you say the flu kills many people in china every single year, infact according to data statistic, on average it kills over 50,000 every year in China alone, so you could say COVID-19 is nothing to worry about right!?, or you could ask the question, if the flu kills that many and they never bring out the armed forces, nor do they close off any cities, or shut down schools or industry, and they most certainly dont build a dozen hospitals, then WHY have they done this with this virus.? My guess is that they are not telling the whole truth, infact probably not even half the truth of what this virus is doing and how fast it spreads.
Spraying entire cities, all transport vehicles and wearing hazmat suits, are not things you see happen in the flu season.
The Spanish flu killed an estimated 20 million people in 1918, but they also suggest it could have been up to 50 million as records were not accurate as so many towns were completely wiped out, their dead were literally left to rot in their homes.
Now modern medicine is a million times better now for sure, so is data collection, but a virus is still a virus, and it doesn't heed to a modern world anymore than it did in 1918.
the ferocity with which this thing is spreading, and the call to remain calm from governments whilst they scramble behind the scenes to get control, tells you this is NOT like a flu season at all.

So if shutting down public gatherings, closing transport routes or any other action they are deeming required to try to stop the stem of this virus is put in place, then really , isn't it wiser to accept it and get on with things , than be getting cranky pants over something that could potentially cause the death of someone, simply because you want to attend.

let them play in empty stadiums, people can still watch on tv, its not like its going to be forever .

I still dont get the toilet roll mentality though no matter what lol

Reply #798570 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Some NBA cities are now going crowdless.

Reply #798576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should the football codes be banned during every winter because of the common flu which is 100 times more impactful than covid19. Oh the common flu doesn't get reported on every day sorry

Reply #798578 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where are the flu people ingesting this info? Is it a Facebook thing? The idiocy is just baffling.

Reply #798583 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, Boomer Facebook seems like a good guess

Reply #798584 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Should the football codes be banned during every winter because of the common flu which is 100 times more impactful than covid19. Oh the common flu doesn't get reported on every day sorry

Mate you have to be deaf dumb and blind if you think this thing is just a flu lol

Italy have just had 800* die in a week !

Not quite your "average flu"
You show symptoms of the flu within 48 hrs of contracting it, so you don't spread it too far, you also can get a flu shot

This beast doesn’t raise its head fir almost two weeks, in that time you can infect dozens, and no vaccine available, time people actually starting taking this seriously

Reply #798588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Facebook. Can't believe people use that crap.

Reply #798591 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What is it about Facebook that captures the imagination on something like this? The virus precautions are not some partisan thing. Countries all over the place are taking serious measures. US has just suspended travel from Europe. The Australian is what it is and is talking about closing borders and preventing mass gatherings, has infection graphs on the front page, etc.

Best case scenario is they are heavy handed and 'flatten the curve' and a few people assume it's all been an overreaction because they don't see World War Z on the streets.

Reply #798592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Hanks has now got the virus, picked it up on the Gold Coast, his wife is infected too. Both in gc hospital.

Reply #798593 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

NBA has suspended their season after Gobert tested positive.

Reply #798609 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Olympics pushed back 2 years.

Reply #798610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON
Today

Mate you have to be deaf dumb and blind if you think this thing is just a flu lol

Italy have just had 800* die in a week !

Not quite your "average flu"
You show symptoms of the flu within 48 hrs of contracting it, so you don't spread it too far, you also can get a flu shot

This beast doesn't raise its head fir almost two weeks, in that time you can infect dozens, and no vaccine available, time people actually starting taking this seriously

Hey media puppet or perfect citizen with no brain of your own,
The flu kills over 600 thousand people each year with hundreds of millions also infected. When this media virus gets to that number it still wont be a big deal. Doctors reckon that it will just become one of the many flu strains that people get every year and just blend in

Reply #798617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A normal healthy person doesn't even have to get treated if they get coronavirus.
The body recovers on it's own. People love to over dramatize everything

Reply #798620 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"A normal healthy person doesn't even have to get treated if they get coronavirus.
The body recovers on it's own. People love to over dramatize everything"

You can still indirectly kill someone by passing it on, so what about those ppl who have conditions through no cause of their own? Survival of the fittest? Lol.

Reply #798626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coronavirus' impact has landed on the NBA's doorstep with the league officially suspending the season following today’s games.

A game between the Utah Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder was called off after several players were reported as having "virus like symptoms" before Jazz big man Rudy Gobert returned a positive test for coronavirus.
Gobert was listed as out ahead of the game but returned the test an hour after the game was offically called off.
A statement from the league announced the season would be put on hold following the completion of today’s games.

"The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight’s schedule of games until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic".

Gobert’s positive test was returned prior to the game and saw a Thunder doctor run out onto the court before play was about to commence and inform the three officials.

Gobert was not in attendance in the arena.

All players were then taken from the court and back to the locker rooms as fans waited to find out if the game would be played.

After over half an hour of fans sitting and waiting for an official update, the stadium announcer stated the game was being postponed before telling all those in attendance “you’re all safe”.

“Due to unforeseen circumstances, the game tonight has been postponed. You’re all safe. Take time in leaving the arena.”

Fans in attendance booed loudly as the announcement was read out that the game was being called off.

No official reason was given as to why the game had been postponed, but with several players listed as out due to illness it’s believed the fears of coronavirus spreading to a packed arena are behind the decision.

Jazz big man Rudy Gobert was listed as out ahead of the game due to illness, along with Emmanuel Mudiay, just days after making light of the situation.

After the league implemented procedures to isolate players from the media, Gobert ignored those precautions two days ago.

At the completion of a media availabilty which was conducted with Gobert at a distance from the reporters in attendance, the big man leaned over and touched every reporters recorder.

Both Jazz players were reported to have “virus like symptoms”
Close to an hour after the game was abandoned, players remained isolated in the locker rooms and confusion surrounded just what was unfolding.

Talks in the NBA have been ongoing between the league and owners about games taking place in front of empty stands with a majority of owners leaning towards playing without fans.

According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski the consensus was for games to continue going ahead but in front of empty stadiums.
After the announcement of the Jazz and Thunder game being delayed several NBA players weighed in with Los Angeles Lakers player Jared Dudley believing the season was about to be put on hold.

“Oh they bout to shut this season down for a couple weeks,” Dudley wrote.

“If you’re gonna take precaution, if any. Take all precautions,” Los Angeles Clippers guard Lou Williams wrote.

You where saying?

Reply #798630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anywhere in public where a lot of people gather needs to be shut down. Please suspend all public transport for good

Reply #798634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(You can still indirectly kill someone by passing it on, so what about those ppl who have conditions through no cause of their own? Survival of the fittest? Lol.)

Wow I think I know what sector of health care you work in now......... Senator the Genator

Reply #798635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is your compassion health worker or should I say janitor ?

Reply #798637 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Huh? I really don't understand you any more, you're making 0 sense.

Reply #798639 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Let me dumb it down for you.

Someone basically said who cares, I'm healthy I'm ok. I basically said, what about the people who aren't healthy/immunosuppressed/chronic ailments, you have a responsibility not to pass it onto these less healthy individuals.

Reply #798642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(You can still indirectly kill someone by passing it on, so what about those ppl who have conditions through no cause of their own? Survival of the fittest? Lol.)

(SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST? LOL)

People who work in health care don't speak like this, they have compassion for others, fit or unfit.
How many Coronavirus cases are in wa? 9 is it? Is your computer up to date yet?
Go push your broom and mop some floors, your no health care worker

Reply #798643 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Holy shit mate, it's called sarcasm, FFS. I was applying that comment to the other poster not myself. Get a grasp of the concepts in the English language before making yourself look like an idiot.

Reply #798645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Pull you head out of your ass and have a look at going on around the world, and get your broom ready and make sure your computer is up to date.

Reply #798648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last pandemic was sars in 2009 and it was just as bad but 10 years on we have a million more ways of receiving news so the panic is heightened

Reply #798655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holy shit there are some self-absorbed people posting here.

Think about someone other than yourself for once you pricks.

Reply #798659 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, SARS was 2003 (I was overseas at the time and remember it). Had 8,000 cases (compared to COVID-19's 100k+ so far). 2009 epidemic was H1N1. H1N1 mortality rate was 0.02%.

Reply #798665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's good Isaac you must be very intelligent.

Australia should immediately close schools and cancel mass events, says Labor

Benjamin Graham
Labor has called on the government to immediately close schools and cancel mass events to contain the coronavirus spread.

Shadow cabinet minister Bill Shorten said this needs to be done "not in weeks and months but in days".

“The only way to make sure this pandemic is not worse than it otherwise could be is to have more drastic social distancing measures,” he told Sky News.

Reply #798694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1h agoMarch 12, 2020
HIGHLIGHT
Infected man went to T20 final

Shannon Molloy
Authorities in Victoria have confirmed six new cases of coronavirus, revealing most had been in large crowds at the weekend - including the T20 World Cup final at the MCG.

The state's Chief Health Officer, Professor Brett Sutton said, said the new diagnoses related to men aged between 30 and 70.

Five had recently returned from international travel and the sixth had been in close contact with a confirmed case.

Most had been in large crowds before being diagnosed.

A man now confirmed to have COVID-19 was at the T20 World Cup Final at the MCG, on members' level two of the Melbourne Cricket Club stand, on Sunday night.

The match drew a crowd of 86,000. The MCC stand has a capacity of 22,000 people.

Another was on a Virgin Australia flight from Los Angeles to Melbourne that arrived at 7am on Sunday.

The Department of Health and Human Services released an updated list of public exposure sites and said anyone who was present should monitor their health and seek medical advice if they become ill.

Reply #798695 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

"That's good Isaac you must be very intelligent."

please tell me you are the same person as the bloody "bad luck mate" comment

Reply #798700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Mcleod
@Brett_McLeod
·
1h
BREAKING: 8 Grand Prix team members have now been tested for coronavirus.
Still no results.
#9News

Reply #798704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

This is not sars
The Chinese experts say it's similar to sars and aids mixed together, so it’s like an air borne aids virus.
I didn’t mean any malice, but this is seriousl shit.

Reply #798718 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

Sorry, my bad

I read it as being very sarcastic

Reply #798721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#718 post is oozing credibility all over the place. someone get a mop.

Reply #798723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McLaren has withdrawn from the Australian Grand Prix, announcing a positive result to coronavirus tests for one of its team members.
A statement from the team confirmed:
McLaren Racing has confirmed this evening in Melbourne that it has withdrawn from then 2020 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix following the positive test of a team member for the coronavirus. The team member was tested and self-isolated as soon as they started to show symptoms and will now be treated by local healthcare authorities.
The team has prepared for this eventuality and has ongoing support in place for its employee who will now enter a period of quarantine. The team is cooperating with the relevant local authorities to assist their investigations and analysis.
Zak Brown, CEO of McLaren Racing, and Andreas Seidl, Team Principal of McLaren F1, informed Formula 1 and the FIA of the decision this evening. The decision has been taken based on a duty of care not only to McLaren F1 employees and partners, but also to the team's competitors, Formula 1 fans and wider F1 stakeholders.
Three Formula 1 team personnel went into self-isolation after displaying symptoms consistent with coronavirus, one from McLaren and two from Haas.
Unconfirmed reports claim the two Haas team members have returned negative tests, as have two further team members who underwent tests on Thursday.
A photographer on left the circuit midway through Thursday’s proceedings to enter self-isolation.
Pressure has been mounting on organisers to make a call over the event as the global pandemic escalates.
The opening practice session of the season is scheduled for noon on Friday.

The f1 will be called off

Reply #798789 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh shit... f1 is impacted? Well, this changes everything! Panic stations, everybody!

Reply #798792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Your ignorance astounds me
Have a think about your parents,siblings,wife,kids,friends,work mates are they all fit healthy people?

And basketball is more important than them, really.

Reply #798798 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Your a lot more amusing when I read your comments out in the voice of Tweek from South Park.

Reply #798802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are giving money out so people can go out and spend it, where we should be closing down and limiting the spread of the virus. We could end up like Italy in a few weeks.

Reply #798805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your more ignorant than the other guy,
Have fun at the game lol

Reply #798806 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Will do. Enjoy the apocalypse, Tweek.

Reply #798810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train

You are the reason why there will be a pandemic

Reply #798815 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's already a pandemic, dumbarse. And thanks but I can’t take all the credit.

Reply #798816 | Report this post

Plane  
Years ago

I am partly to blame as well

Reply #798818 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

And don't forget that Auto Mobile guy too. He was the worse.

Reply #798820 | Report this post

cruise liner  
Years ago

^ amateurs

Reply #798822 | Report this post

Wuhan Fish Market  
Years ago

Hold my beer.

Reply #798823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb arse train

Pandemic in Australia you fuck wit

Reply #798825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/howroute/status/1225480460979056642?s=20

Reply #798826 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

WHO has declared it a World Wide pandemic. Is Australia not part of the world. It's ok though, Anthony Mundine has confirmed the Caronavirus is fake. You can go to sleep now.

https://www.facebook.com/382311305171311/posts/2754030061332745/?d=n

Reply #798827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's coronavirus not Carona you twat actually it’s covid-19.

Reply #798828 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

COVID-19, actually. If you are going to correct someone, do it right. >.<

Reply #798829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Up to 1.6 million people in NSW could be hit by the first wave of a statewide coronavirus outbreak, health authorities warn, with up to 80,000 people likely to require intensive care simultaneously.
Chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant says preparations are underway for 20 per cent of the state's eight million residents to catch COVID-19.

Hmmm you really think nsw will cope with 80k people simultaneously in intensive care??

Reply #798830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles' Utah Jazz have been rocked again with a second player, All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell, testing positive for the coronavirus.

It follows the revelation on Thursday that All-Star centre Rudy Gobert had tested positive and there are fears for other Australian NBA players Dante Exum, Thon Maker and Matthew Dellavedova.

Reply #798845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Australian Grand Prix has been postponed following McLaren's withdrawal from the Formula One season opener after a team member tested positive for coronavirus, according to reports.

The decision was made following a crisis two-hour summit involving F1’s hierarchy, its governing body, the FIA, and a number of the sport’s team principals in Melbourne, the BBC and Sky Television Association have reported.

Motorsport.com quoted sources saying a majority of the teams were unhappy to continue and the governing FIA would accept the decision.

Reply #798848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Virus Watch AU
@VirusWatchAU
·
12h
3 new cases for SA taking their total to 12

#10 - 60s M recently returned from Europe including, Italy, Spain and France

#11 - 50s F recently returned from Europe including, Italy, Spain and France

#12 - 40s F TBC

You had your chance SA, to slow.

Reply #798859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

False flag event. Does anyone actually know of anyone personally that has "died"

Reply #798867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian sport's response to the coronavirus is under fire as our codes resist calling off games.

A host of international competitions have already made decisions to suspend their seasons.

America’s National Basketball Association and National Hockey League pulled the pin in the past 24 hours and Major League Baseball has cancelled spring training. Spain’s La Liga and the ATP tennis tour have also hit the pause button.

Reply #798870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep

Coronavirus Cases:
view by country
Deaths:

Reply #798871 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

If the Wildcats win tonight call it the Championship, no point going on furhter with all this cornavirus stuff.

Reply #798877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Health experts expect covid19 to become one of the many flu strains people might catch every year. It's not that big a deal. As for the comment about intesive care. Most people don't need any treatment at all to get better and your talking about intensive care. Dream on

Reply #798885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^dick head

Reply #798887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems like the only way to get the 24 hour news media from brainwashing the public about the virus is if something else dramatic happens. 8.5 earthquake, terrorist attack anything to direct the savage media away from the story

Reply #798889 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As of Thursday afternoon (12 March), the league office confirmed with The Pick and Roll that while they continue to monitor the situation, the NBL Grand Final games will proceed this weekend.

NBL Grand Final proceeding as coronavirus pandemic impacts world basketball

Reply #798890 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I feel like the NBL's relatively low profile is the main thing that has stopped it being impacted to this point.

Reply #798891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Daniel Andrews has just announced that crowds will not be allowed to watch the F1 season opener in Melbourne."

Reply #798892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giulio Gallera, the Lombardy official leading the emergency response, said on Thursday that he hoped the guidelines never needed to be applied.

He also said the region was working with Italy's civil protection agency to study the possibility of using an exhibition space abandoned by canceled conventions as a 500-bed intensive care ward.

But, he said, the region needed doctors, and respirators.

"The outbreak has put hospitals under a stress that has no precedents since the Second World War," said Massimo Galli, the director of infectious diseases at Milan’s Sacco University hospital, which is treating many of the coronavirus patients. “If the tide continues to rise, attempts to build dams to retain it will become increasingly difficult.”

How many icu beds does your local hospital have? Do you even know?

Reply #798898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone denying Coronavirus are just like this guy: Anthony Mundine. think about that.

Reply #798906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Organisers of the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix have confirmed the Formula 1 aspects of the event have been cancelled.
The news comes following McLaren's decision to withdraw from the event after one of its team members returned a positive test result for coronavirus.
Statement from the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC)
At 9am today the Australian Grand Prix Corporation was advised by Formula 1 of their intention to cancel all Formula 1 activity at the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix.
In light of this decision and updated advice this morning from the Chief Health Officer of the Victorian Government’s Department of Human and Health Services, the Australian Grand Prix Corporation confirms the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix is cancelled immediately.
Last night a member of the McLaren Racing team tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. A further seven individuals returned negative results, confirming that they do not have the COVID-19 virus.
Additionally, a ninth individual has been assessed and tested for the COVID-19 virus, with the results of this test pending. This individual is not associated with any Formula 1 team, the FIA or associated suppliers.
Our first priority is the safety of everyone including attendees, our personnel, all event partners and members of the local community.
Further information regarding refunds for ticket holders will be communicated in due course.
Speculation swirled following McLaren’s announcement with the European press claiming the event would be cancelled.
A statement from the Australian Grand Prix Corporation on Friday morning initially said the event was poised to go ahead as scheduled as discussions continued.
Those have now concluded with the Australian Grand Prix cancelled.
More to follow.

Reply #798909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THings change in 15minutes.

"The Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne has been canned over coronavirus fears after hours of indecision from officials.
"Formula 1 and the FIA, with the full support of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC), have taken the decision that all Formula 1 activity for the Australian Grand Prix is cancelled," the F1 said."

Reply #798913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the number of coronavirus cases in Australia passes 160, there are growing calls to shut down sporting events and other mass gatherings.

Adjunct Professor Bill Bowtell, a leading infection control expert, has slammed political leaders who have vowed to attend footy matches this weekend, including the Prime Minister and Queensland Premier.

"The Grand Prix should be cancelled. The NRL season should be cancelled. Anzac Day, there should be a big question about whether those ceremonies should be called off," he told the ABC this morning. “The Prime Minister can't know, nobody can know, who in that crowd at the NRL has coronavirus.”

Reply #798916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So there'll be no crowd at the one-day cricket either.

Might be getting to a place where the NBL (and Wildcats, in the immediate sense) have to consider what they value more: the crowd and full 'spectacle' vs the risk of extreme negative publicity.

Reply #798921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure no one here is denying COVID-19, We just do not need someone like yourself repeatedly trying to scaremonger with every post. People know it is out there. People know it is dangerous. But countries like the US and Italy etc didn't do half the preventative measures Australia has introduced. So you can sprout all your USA stats and all your Italy stats but they do not directly correlate to the situation we face in Australia.

I do fully expect though that game 3 will be played behind closed doors. The the possibility of only 4 more game required I cannot see them postponing the championship series.

Reply #798927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^It's just a flu remember you dick head

Reply #798935 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The best course of action needs to come before signs emerge en masse, so action needs to appear to be an overreaction at the time.

Not sure if that puts the NBL in a great position. Do you play one more? Call it now without a result? Call it now as a Perth championship? I think I'd rather it called with a result than not, and Perth getting that win on the road makes it easier.

Reply #798936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#935 Never once have I called it the flu you scaremongering piece of shit

Reply #798940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "just a flu" line is the least intelligent thing anyone can say about this. People saying that are the clowns who catch a bit of a cold and tell everyone they've got the flu. No you don't, you have a cold.

Many, many people die from flu every year. So even if coronavirus is like having the flu, it's not "just a flu".

Reply #798944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a very difficult decision to be made about crowds this weekend, but I think the very easy and super obvious decision that can be made is that they should call it a three game series, and announce that today ahead of tip-off tonight. Let the players and fans engage with the last game or two with that awareness. Crown a champion as it happens, not a revised-champion by press release on Tuesday or something.

Reply #798956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This idiot #798975 needs to be blocked from posting.
Go to Facebook clown.

Reply #799001 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

""Pretty sure no one here is denying COVID-19, We just do not need someone like yourself repeatedly trying to scaremonger with every post. People know it is out there. People know it is dangerous. But countries like the US and Italy etc didn't do half the preventative measures Australia has introduced. So you can sprout all your USA stats and all your Italy stats but they do not directly correlate to the situation we face in Australia.

I do fully expect though that game 3 will be played behind closed doors. The the possibility of only 4 more game required I cannot see them postponing the championship series.””

What preventative measures lol, they brought those from infected areas into the country, yep sure they isolated some of them, but it's still got here, because they left the doors all open.
Those saying “it’s just like the flu” are delusional, China has thousands of deaths e wry year from the flu, they don’t shut down entire cities and disinfect them, or build hospital overnight to contain those who contract the flu.

This is way more than the flu, for starters you can have it and not display symptoms but be contagious for up to two weeks, all that time your walking around in the community spreading it.
It’s highly contagious, infact it is 200 times more contagious than the flu, as such it means the vulnerable in our society are at far greater risk from those ostriches who think ignoring it will make it not effect their lives.

At the end of the day, cancelling, postponing, limiting sporting or any public event isn’t goi g to kill anyone, but carrying on with them may.

It’s not the end of the world if we all miss games we love, but losing those we love if life changing ....think about it

Reply #799049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has Australia done other than throwing money around and saying we have a plan. Lol.

Reply #799056 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Told you it would be cancelled!

Reply #799069 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think worst case scenario from here would be that they ban crowds from attending but still play the next 2 games. Still worth doing that for TV.

Imagine how well we will be able to hear Gleeson with no crowd or music to drown him out!

It's happening.

Gleesonfest in T minus 4 hours and 15 minutes.
I'm partly disappointed but also low key eager to discover WTF we are in for.

Reply #799126 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/NBL/status/1238347140906139649

Game closed to public.

Reply #799131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Same really. Recording SmackDown tomorrow for the same reason, not having watched wrestling in years.

Reply #799132 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think planes have pretty serious air filtration systems, so any recirculating air would be clean.

Following up on that ^ as Qantas have done a mass email confirming that:

our aircraft have the highest air quality and have HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters installed in our aircraft filtration systems. These devices filter 99.999% of dust particles and airborne contaminants such as viruses and bacteria, ensuring the highest possible quality of cabin air. These are the same type of filters that are used in hospital operating rooms.

Link

Reply #799500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754