Isaac
Years ago

COVID-19 and basketball

NCAA have announced they're preparing to go ahead with fan-less games for upcoming championship events. Staff and family only in attendance.

The Warriors will soon play sans-crowd:

The Warriors, league sources say, will be directed to play host to the Nets on Thursday night at Chase Center in a game CLOSED to fans
The Golden State Warriors are planning to play foreseeable home games without fans in observance of the San Francisco Health Office's order prohibiting group of events of 1K or more from assembling, source tells ESPN.
Robin Lopez meanwhile...
If we don't have fans, we don't need mascots...has COVID-19 done what I couldn't?

In China:
Americans contracted with Chinese basketball teams have been summoned to return to China and prepare for resumption of the league after a 14-day quarantine. Sources tell ESPN that many players are refusing to return due to safety concerns.
While the Chinese Basketball Association has taken a measured approach, the tone from CBA teams is becoming increasingly hostile, threatening lifetime bans for players who refuse to return and loss of league agency licenses for 2-3 years for their representation.

Topic #47022 | Report this topic

Triton 26  
Years ago

The good news is the NBL will be finished by the time our government eventually gets around to putting effective measures in place (should be happening right now!)

Other basketball leagues will be significantly effected. Think district sport competitions across the country. Some of them are going to get shut down for a period of time.

Also events like the AJC will be shut down. I'll be very surprised if the U16 AJC in Perth in July goes ahead. Will most likely be delayed or cancelled.

Reply #798559 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Woj:

Consensus among owners on Board of Governors call with league office was either continue season with no fans in arenas -- or have NBA take a hiatus for a period time. NBA is expected to have a decision as soon as Thursday on next steps.
Latest from Woj:
The NBA's Board of Governors shared a consensus on Wednesday to continue the season playing games without fans in arenas amid the coronavirus crisis, and Commissioner Adam Silver is expected to move in that direction with a decision on Thursday.

Reply #798560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jazz-Thunder seems to have just been canned just before tip-off.

Reply #798572 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

we also have the start of NBL1 and BigV happening just as our winter months approach, which they say will be Australia's busiest time for this virus. Then add into that the school kids, any that are in schools like Carey or the Sydney schools that play basketball, do they also stop that, or just stop the kids attending?
Considering this thing can take up to 14 days before symptoms begin to show, and the carrier can infect anyone they come in contact with within that time, this thing does infact have the potential to shut down everything. If Morrison had stopped the planes in the beginning, we may have been spared, too late now, its here. That doctor in Toorak, he was back from LA for 10 days before he realized he may have it, in that time he saw over 70 patients, who in turn would have seen probably many more people, shopping centers, public events, schools hospitals, the list is endless really............too late now its out and about, all you can do is be proactive and sensible...........the domino effect is in full swing.

Reply #798574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see that Central's used early initiative as the last few years they've been playing in front of only a couple of fans each game.

Reply #798575 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jazz-Thunder:

Something is going on here. Thunder head medical staffer Donnie Strack just grabbed the three officials and told them something. All players were just told to go back to their bench. We're seconds from tipoff.
OKC broadcast saying that because there were illnesses with players prior to the game, Rudy Gobert among them, waiting for league approval to proceed. Players apparently conferred on this before the game.

rudy gobert is questionable with an illness two days after making it "a point to touch every mic and recorder in front of him"

Oklahoma City Police are closing the Chesapeake Energy Arena after tonight's Oklahoma City Thunder game stops abruptly. We are working to learn details as to why. @NewsOn6

Reply #798577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only people at risk is the elderly and people with existing medical conditions. It's no different to any othe cold or flu

Reply #798579 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The only people at risk is the elderly and people with existing medical conditions. It's no different to any othe cold or flu

Ooh look, we got a medical expert in the house to give us the real info.

Reply #798582 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Mate that's a third of the population..... China doesn’t shut down in flu season, but this has brought it to a complete halt, so nah not buying that "it’s just like a flu" crap o e bit

WHO have labelled it a Pandemic..... very rare for that to happen, so you go right ahead and believe that, obviously you don’t have parents over 60, or grand parents or you g babies in your family or friends circle then!?

My dads got a heart condition, my Nan’s got cancer, I have a three week old nephew, that’s just my immediate family , every single one of them fits into the “at risk” category.

Reply #798586 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LeBron has retracted his earlier comment of:

"I play for the fans; that's what it’s all about," James said then. “If I show up to the arena and there ain’t no fans there, I ain’t playing.”

Reply #798587 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

2 nights ago:

As part of the Jazz's COVID-19 response, shootaround availability was done in the ZBBC media room today rather than on the court. As Rudy Gobert got finished discussing the situation, he stood up, leaned over and made it a point to touch every mic and recorder in front of him.

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/1237077216661360650

LOL. Oops.

Reply #798594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBA season now suspended. See separate thread

Reply #798604 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

Fully expecting BasketballSA to overreact and cancel this weeks games....

Reply #798629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who's going to the Perth game ?

And this

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for coronavirus while in Australia, the actor announced in an Instagram post.

"Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia," he wrote.

“We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the coronavirus, and were found to be positive.”

They spent last week in Sydney

Reply #798640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Fully expecting BasketballSA to overreact and cancel this weeks games....)

If you want to keep Coronavirus numbers down in sa, good idea

Reply #798646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON
A couple of hours ago

Mate that's a third of the population..... China doesn't shut down in flu season, but this has brought it to a complete halt, so nah not buying that "it’s just like a flu" crap o e bit

WHO have labelled it a Pandemic..... very rare for that to happen, so you go right ahead and believe that, obviously you don’t have parents over 60, or grand parents or you g babies in your family or friends circle then!?

My dads got a heart condition, my Nan’s got cancer, I have a three week old nephew, that’s just my immediate family , every single one of them fits into the "at risk" category.

Bad luck then man

Reply #798654 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

"Bad luck then man"

I am at a loss for words
is it the internet or are these people terrible in person as well?

Reply #798658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is it good luck then?
Which is it? I think the virus was also caused by global warming and climate change and I'm afraid that if I mention anything other than caucasion countries I will be called a racist

Reply #798669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone chill out for minute, we need to keep control of our emotions and work together on this , we all know what the government was like during the bush fires .....on holidays.
We need to look after each other because the government doesn't give a shit about our lives only the budget.

#workasone

Reply #798714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude posting your dribble here continually isn't going to get any government least of all sporting associations close due to the virus so give it a rest champ

Reply #798715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Are you going to the game?

Reply #798720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going to the game, then going to the Grand Prix. But that’s none of your concern really

Reply #798722 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bad luck then man"

I am at a loss for words
is it the internet or are these people terrible in person as well?

I join you in those sentiments, what selfish horrible people walk this earth, and it's those same people who will be the first to scream the place down should it affect them

People certainly don’t need to go into panic mode, but this is serious enough to take notice of, and to take sensible precautions and also consider others. In the big scheme that’s life and sport, a few weeks of not attending games or public events isn’t going to kill you.

Reply #798730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty soon we wont be allowed to drive in the rain because it increases the risk for crashing.

Reply #798736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The virus has managed to push greta thunberg and climate alarmists off the front page so that can only be a good thing

Reply #798737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those who survive the virus will live to see a Great Recession and depression unlike anything seen in generations, followed by a possible world war It can take up to 27 days before you start feeling Most people within 5 to 10 But they've observed cases that were asymptomatic for 27 and yeah you are at risk of a high viral load dosage if you are within 4 metres of an infected The trick to this is also not getting a high dose of the virus if you are You could breathe in 1 or 2 spores,

which means it’ll take time for it to multiply inside you

Giving your body time to build an immune response

But if you breathe in several billion spores you’re a lot more The "it’s just a Theres only about 8000 ICU Units in We’re just as fucked as everyone Meanwhile, yesterday our gov was still saying shopping centres and restaurants are safe , No need to wear Masks Insanity, its because there is a global supply shortage and producing countries have banned exports to build their own national supplies

Reply #798745 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah anon 745, I like post apocalyptic movies too.

Reply #798746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus h lives under a rock... open your eyes mate. You have no idea probably a liberal, China keeps reporting less and less cases,

(thats because last month president xi said if local governments don't get people back to work and numbers aren’t under control within a week, state governments would all be fired

So the state governments have an extreme incentive to make it look like This is how we know china isn’t actually getting better though,

You can go to Nasa’s real time pollution satellite maps, and legit ( Which means people aren’t actually back out on the roads driving around or at factories working )

Reply #798747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crystal dropping truth bombs here man

Reply #798748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people should be aware of what may be to come

I wont be at all surprised by what is to come,

"I don't care because its out of my control" seems to be the wrong answer to this

there is actual plenty you can do to help stop the spread of this and bring it under control

Starting with strict hygiene and sanitation measures, limiting your exposure to public places, and public gatherings, wearing PPE to limit or lessen your exposure to high dose viral load within certain situations, like going shopping.

these precautions are not just for you, but the overall welfare of your family and friends, and their families and friends

If everyone would care about it more we could limit spread and contain this.

taking these precautions and preparing your home and family with a month or two worth of food supplies is not just a sensible thing to do, it is a responsible thing to do.

Especially if you have children.

Reply #798749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#745 sounds like Donald Trump. Only he can fix this, right?

Reply #798751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with Donald trump u degenerate. Wtf are you on about. Just stating the facts. Do some research before you mud sling. YouTube doctor John Campbell and enlighten yourself before you say stupid comments. Probably one of those "it's just the flu" people

Reply #798752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And just to clarify what can fix this... nothing. There is no cure. No Donald trump can't fix this you idiot! But social distancing can slow down the rate of infection. But yeh just continue with the mud slinging comments huh? I’ll wait for my told ya so moment when icu wards are at capacity. But yeh enjoy your basketball game. People like you they making things worse. Open your eyes you degenerate imbecile

Reply #798753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Belgium season postponed till end of month.

Reply #798754 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

If an anonymous poster on Hoops says it, it has to be true right?

Reply #798756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ train, your are as anonymous as I am. Check euro baskets you twit.

Reply #798758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MIES (Switzerland) - Considering the current situation with the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and in order to protect the health and safety of players, coaches, officials and fans, FIBA today has announced that all FIBA competitions are suspended as of tomorrow, Friday, 13 March 2020. FIBA will continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis and will evaluate the options for the continuation or not of the respective competitions when and if the situation allow

Make of this what you think.

Reply #798759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.eurobasket.com/Belgium/news/623367/General-cancellation-due-to-Coronavirus-COVID-19

For you @ train if you can read.

Reply #798760 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BREAKING NEWS: EuroLeague evaluating temporary suspension of its competitions (EuroLeague and EuroCup)

Reply #798761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard the virus makes people irrationally angry and talk nonsense. I reckon at least one person here has got it.

Reply #798763 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"@ train, your are as anonymous as I am. Check euro baskets you twit."

I wasn't referring to the Belgium season. I was referring to the rest of the apocalyptic shite going on here. Dickhead.

Reply #798768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at the people saying these are apocalyptic comments. You don't think the whole of Italy being quarantined, 114 countries and counting with infected persons. China welding people into there own homes. Travel bans, people dropping dead on the street etc is not apocalyptic? Sports leagues around the world postponing or cancelling? Lol at Trevor Gleeson saying no player felt sick after being on the same plane Adam infected person. Does he not no it takes minimum 5 days to feel any symptons. Of all the good the nbl has done it will be an utter disgrace if people are aloud to turn up tomorrow to the game. #econonicsoverhealth!

Reply #798774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People dropping dead on the streets???? Hahahaha wtf.

Reply #798776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#774 are you a Kings supporter?

Reply #798777 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

My biggest take away from this so far has been how woefully inadequate nearly every political party has been throughout the world. Based on recent experience no one should have been surprised how abysmal our government would be, but I was a little surprised that we have been pretty much par for the course as far as most international governments have also done. Instead of taking on the difficult job of juggling the commercial obligations/national health problems decisively, they've sat on their hands hoping the problem will go away while things instead have cascaded out of control. If nothing else, I hope there are some massive lessons learnt from this. But probably not.

The virus itself... if it progresses how it's expected to, odds are good that we all know people who will die. But the mortality rate and risk groups mean it's not going to significantly cut into populations in developed countries at least. It's horrible, more could have been done to prevent it - the ball was dropped there. But it's the flames of fear being stoked from all directions that is causing the production/economic issues that are the biggest risk.

Still, stock your place sensibly, order your toilet paper online instead of beating someone to death over the last 48 pack of toilet paper rolls at your local store, wash your hands, and be extra cautious if you are in a risk group. Otherwise, live your life, and ride this out. The only thing certain in life is death, and COVID-19 is just one of the weird and wonderful ways that can happen.

Reply #798779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hypothetically, if the NBL season got cancelled right now would they:

-Give the trophy to the kings for finishing top?

-Give it to Perth for being up 1-0, especially since it was an away win?

-Declare that NBL20 has no champion?

Reply #798781 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think they would take the NBA approach and suspend the season and figure out what they were going to do - likely plat it later, but that would be a difficult situation with imports especially.

Reply #798782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(I'm going to the game, then going to the Grand Prix. But that's none of your concern really)

Well go and kiss your family goodbye before you go to the game it might be the last time you will get to see them and The f1 race won’t happen.
Have fun at the game.

Reply #798804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I second that !!!

Reply #798812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lol at Trevor Gleeson saying no player felt sick after being on the same plane Adam infected person. Does he not no it takes minimum 5 days to feel any symptons.
Haven't read a full transcript, but it's possible you can understand the lag of symptoms and also accurately state that no player has felt sick. Redundant but he's a basketball coach on the spot talking outside of his field of expertise. Media are going to ask/expect that answer whether it's useful or not.

Reply #798834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles' Utah Jazz have been rocked again with a second player, All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell, testing positive for the coronavirus.

It follows the revelation on Thursday that All-Star centre Rudy Gobert had tested positive and there are fears for other Australian NBA players Dante Exum, Thon Maker and Matthew Dellavedova.

Reply #798846 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

March Madness called off. NHL suspended. Australian Grand Prix called off.

Reply #798852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Australian government and opposition are literally spreading Coronavirus because of the budget and where just letting them do it to us. Wake up sheep.

Reply #798856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything associated with the rule of common sense is being cancelled or restricted,but one thing for sure VJBL games will never be cancelled

Reply #798858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

World gone mad by continuing media coverage. I didn't think people were that robotic and dumb to just believe and follow

Reply #798868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the media started telling people to jump off tall buildings I think many would do it through having no brain of their own

Reply #798869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You get the government you deserve. S Como is going to the football and he'll pray.

Reply #798883 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We were told, basketball never stops. But for now, it's taking a timeout.

COVID-19: On the disruption of basketball, the world, and love of the sport

Reply #798888 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Formula One governing body quiet on Grand Prix but if it ran it would be without spectators:

We are yet to see a statement from Formula One or the Australian Grand Prix Corporation. Rumours are swirling on the ground. Meanwhile, hospitality staff - who were told to come in this morning – are clearing up the rooms.
Daniel Andrews says it is matter for the Formula One if it wants to go ahead with the race but spectators won't be allowed to attend.
OK, The Age now confirming it's been cancelled.

World gone mad by continuing media coverage. I didn't think people were that robotic and dumb to just believe and follow
Who are you talking about here? The media is, in-part, reporting on countries, organisations and businesses taking action. You're up against a fairly broad array of bipartisan brainpower. Organisations reacting to something that will damage both the big end of town and struggle street alike. NBA suspended. WHO states pandemic. USA restricts travel and many other countries doing similar. Disneyland closed. Schools shutting. NHL suspended, MLB and NCAA too. Google and co having everyone work from home. Conferences cancelled. All but your enlightened self. Switch off Facebook and have a nap.

Reply #798907 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:55 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754