James Harvey fan
Years ago

Perth Lynx’s future

PERTH LYNX TO ENTER NEXT PHASE OF GROWTH

The Perth Wildcats and Basketball WA wish to announce that the two organisations have come to an arrangement to transfer the Licence for the Perth Lynx back to Basketball WA for the 2020/21 season and beyond.

The agreement signals the commencement of the next phase of redevelopment of the women's pathway program in WA.

Five years ago, Jack Bendat and his family took ownership of the Perth Lynx to assist the women’s game in achieving a higher level of professionalism, while building a product that can provide for the aspirations of young female basketball players in Western Australia.

Dr Bendat’s vision has been achieved, as the team has gone from strength to strength, playing in four finals series, including a Grand Final appearance in 2016.

Basketball WA can now take an elite program and entrench it in the state’s community basketball fabric, ensuring its long term success.

"Basketball has a lot to thank Jack Bendat for. His investment and leadership in our Perth Lynx program has been exemplary," said Basketball WA CEO Rob Clement.

“We now look to embrace our broader basketball community to consolidate the work done by Dr Bendat and the Perth Wildcats organisation to ensure the team’s long term success and viability.

“We thank Dr Bendat for his leadership and contribution to the sport.”

Basketball WA will work with a range of stakeholders in discussing the future structure of the program, and look forward to the 2020/21 WNBL season.

The Perth Wildcats organisation would like to thank the Perth Lynx fans for their incredible support, and its athletes for their hard work, dedication and effort both on and off the court.

Topic #47030 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No so sure that is a good move for the future of the team.

Reply #798783 | Report this post

Cranks  
Years ago

I am so disappointed in this I feel it's going to go back to the way it used to be for the Lynx :(
Disappointed in Bendat also while I know he has sunk a lot of money into the team he has a lot of money to sink. The Perth wildcats make a lot of money and what it means to the sport for women in Perth is worth supporting.
I understand the issues but just like donating to a cause women’s sport is a cause worth supporting.
I don’t like the prospects going forward and also not being aligned with the men’s team in the state just seems disjointed, especially for such a successful club

Reply #798785 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Budget imports, local Australians and back to the bottom of the ladder is exactly what this means. First thing to do will be finding a new head coach (Petrik would seem the logical choice having been assistant for so long) but as others have said above, unless BWA can find some significant investors then don't expect much from the Lynx in the future. A sad day for women's basketball in WA

Reply #798791 | Report this post

OldTimer  
Years ago

Basketball WA actually paid the Wildcats to manage it for them over the last 5 years. A size able amount each season too.
Things have changed a bit at BWA since then, and with the structures set up now, maybe they both see it better off being managed by them?

Reply #798793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats were losing money like there was no tomorrow with the lynx program. The money bwa were giving the wildcats to help run the lynx will now be back in their hands.

Reply #798794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/wnbl/larry-kestelman-saved-the-nbl-now-hes-open-to-doing-the-same-for-the-wnbl/news-story/649aaa39753f4db4dab846606bfec987

Reply #798795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Disappointed in Bendat also while I know he has sunk a lot of money into the team he has a lot of money to sink."
Yep thats why he's rich. He knows when to stop losing his money.

Reply #798807 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If we've still got a Perth team in the WNBL then I'll be happy.
We had a great run the last 5 years. A great brand of basketball that the public just refused to get behind. So good luck BWA, you'll need it.

Reply #798813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

step 1: no more andy

Reply #798817 | Report this post

Hugh Jass  
Years ago

Bendat has no obligation to keep putting money into the Lynx. The public of WA have spoken - "not interested". If they had won what they should have won they may have had more support. A new coach will be just four years too late.

Reply #798824 | Report this post

Yank  
Years ago

Bendat couldn't spend all the money he has got even if he tried.
Why not leave a legacy and prop up a women’s sporting team with money you aren’t going to live long enough to use.
Disappointing it’s more than crowds and more than championships, granted Andy should have gone a long time ago.
It’s what it does for women and the sport

Reply #798835 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Easy to spend someone else's money!

Bendat saved the Lynx and its now time to exit as they are throwing good money after bad so why should he keep running an organisation that bleeds cash?

Just because he has plenty doesn't mean he should just piss it against a wall, the Bendat family support many projects across the state and without them bball in WA wouldn't be what it is so I think we should thank them for saving the Lynx and passing the batton along rather than criticizing them from exiting the team as they could ave just walked away or said no in the beginning.

Reply #798862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as you associate women's sport with the phrase "donating to a cause" you will continue to struggle! The WNBL is a fantastic product (just like the AFLW) that sells itself like a charity! That mentality will ensure it always struggles to survive.

Reply #798863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They won't find a better coach than Stewart so I hope they don't replace him. Might not have had the ultimate success but he is easily one of the best coaches in the country.

Reply #798911 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Easy to spend someone else's money!

Bendat saved the Lynx and its now time to exit as they are throwing good money after bad so why should he keep running an organisation that bleeds cash?

Just because he has plenty doesn't mean he should just piss it against a wall, the Bendat family support many projects across the state and without them bball in WA wouldn't be what it is so I think we should thank them for saving the Lynx and passing the batton along rather than criticizing them from exiting the team as they could ave just walked away or said no in the beginning.

Well said.

The more I've thought about it, the more I believe that what has happened (or more to the point, not happened) to the Lynx over the past 5 years is symptomatic of a league-wide problem. It's as much, if not more, of a WNBL problem than a Lynx problem.

This league has sat here floundering while a bunch of other women's leagues have run past it, grabbing the attention of the media, the sponsors, and the public in the process. Cricket, soccer, netball, and (in certain states) AFLW, now have players and teams that are pretty well known despite not even being on the radar for the first 30 years of the WNBL's existence. Despite our national team being consistently among the best in the world for the past 20 years.

Reply #798918 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"As long as you associate women's sport with the phrase "donating to a cause" you will continue to struggle! The WNBL is a fantastic product (just like the AFLW) that sells itself like a charity! That mentality will ensure it always struggles to survive."

Not really. That attitude is symptomatic of bigger problems - not the cause of them. The WNBL is a great product on-court, but that doesn't necessarily equate to demand.

If the league were marketed better, like the turnaround the NBL has experienced since LK took over, it might be sustainable with the increased player salaries etc.

Given the league is managed by BA, it's no wonder the league's popularity and sustainability doesn't match the product.

Reply #798943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Andy is no longer coaching. Might be a good coach but has horrible communication and relationship building skills. Just ask any woman he has ever coached

Reply #798954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best coaches in the country lol
What exactly did you see over the last 5 years of record spending and player unhappiness/ no success/ no development to come to that conclusion?

Reply #798957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Groups moan about there's no pathways for female athletes, pretty simple, go to games! As far as I know the gender balance is pretty even, why don't more females go and watch women's Sports, especially those with girls. If crowds rise then membership, ticket sales, sponsorship also rises. Instead the male sports have to subsidise them. Same feminists that complain there should be equal money for male and female athletes have probably never been to games or bought a membership. How many female basketballers are there in Perth, senior and junior? More than what go to Lynx games. Here's an idea, go to games and actually spend money instead of complaining.

Reply #798962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well splained, sir

Reply #798971 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson and BA have a great history of running successful national leagues so the WNBL has a bright future!

Reply #798972 | Report this post

Hugh Jass  
Years ago

Well said Reality. Let's hope Larry K gets involved. Only hope for a WNBL to even have a chance to flourish (survive).

Reply #798978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope the NBL stays far away from the WNBL.

If it doesnt, how long in until there is a pay equality dispute? Year 1? Sportsbet paying $1.01 for Year 1

Reply #799511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pay equality has only been for n.t players, like every other sport. Opals/boomers, socceroos,/matildas etc
Women are not paid the same at club level... nrlw, w league, w cricket etc etc.

Reply #799514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it time ^^^^

Reply #799533 | Report this post

Mercy Galeria  
Years ago

After a change of ownership following the 2000/01 WNBL season, the Breakers were re-branded as the Perth Lynx. In the years up until 2010, the team did not see much success.

Many years of mediocre performances towards the bottom of the ladder, which included setting a WNBL record for the longest ever losing streak, led the team to re-evaluate its operations. Regardless of the team's lack of on-court success, the Lynx were able to lure some star players to the program including Carly Wilson, Shelley Hammonds, Samantha Richards, Rohanee Cox and Deanna Smith.

Reply #800347 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't know what the funding arrangement was under Wildcats management. Nor do I know what it is for the future.

I do know that part of the problem is politics.
Without taking sides, lets just say that there is a difference in attitudes towards funding organisations. The Lynx need government funding, and with the current government they have a better chance of getting that if they are "publicly owned".

Also need to keep in mind that Dr Jack is probably not long for this world, so he possibly wanted to set the Lynx loose whilst he still had some control over the process. There would obviously have been some deal with BWA and the govt, to ensure a certain level of funding if he gave them back the Lynx. (Probably not as much as he was tipping in, but we will never know the details.)

And this is just me personal opinion, but I still reckon Women's bball would be better if they lowered the rims slightly, and/or dropped the ball a further size.

Reply #801896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you drop the rims, makes no sense.
In 10 years, a lot of sf, pf and c players will dunk on standard rim heights.
There are 3 14y.os who can do it now.

Reply #801897 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Why would you drop the rims, makes no sense.

It would be perfectly logical to have women's rings lower than men's.
But it would need to be done at FIBA level.

And its not a matter of dunking, although they are good fun to watch occasionally. I just don't like watching a supposedly national professional league in which players continuously attempt underarm shots, and shoot air-balls from outside.

Reply #802018 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yikes. Ridiculous.

btw the WNBL's overall 3P% this season was less than 2% below the NBL's

Reply #802034 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I don't think a FIBA-sanctioned competition can lower the ring height, so thankfully it's a moot point.

Reply #802035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754