Anonymous
Years ago

Govt: Cancel All mass gatherings of over 500 people

Breaking news.

This means no crowds for NBL or no games at all?

Topic #47033 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Nine News:

State and Federal Government to release advice to cancel ALL public gatherings of over 500 people.

Reply #798988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1238291807026511872?s=20

Reply #798991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No crowds, GF to still be best of 5 series.

Reply #798994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No crowds, GF to still be best of 5 series."

Wouldn't you want to minimise travel at this point too?

Reply #798996 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If there's no crowds they could bang out the remaining four games at Bendat over the next few days. No travel necessary.

Reply #799002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Risk of fire at Bendat though

Reply #799003 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Haha, chances approx 100% based on recent evidence

Reply #799005 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

BTW - it's not the Govt cancelling events over 500 (yet). It's the head of the AMA recommending it to a meeting of state and federal leaders.
But it's inevitable now.

Reply #799006 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

ScoMo will be resisting with all his strength but I have faith that there will be enough consensus on the advice to convince him to pretend to be a leader

Reply #799010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God makes scomo decisions, this might not end very well.

Reply #799012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First Kings get Louzada as a Next Star, now home crowd taken away from their opponent. how much help do they need ;)

Reply #799029 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What's the average crowd size at a Hillsong event? The impact of this will be enormous!

Reply #799033 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

ScoMo seems to have agreed with the exert advice that the mass gatherings cancellation is a good idea, but randomly also decided that Monday is when it should start.

?????????????

Reply #799034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he wants to watch his sharks and get his free beer

Reply #799044 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

ScoMo must be a Perth supporter. Impeach!!!!1

Reply #799045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will just let a few more thousand get the virus and wait till Monday, it the with the bush fire emergency, always to late and it costs a lot more to rectify.

Reply #799052 | Report this post

Triton 26  
Years ago

Why are the Norwood threads locked? Why can't we comment?
FTR its an overreaction and not required. Games should go ahead. Norwood need to pull their head in and listen to BasketballSA, who will act on government advice.

Reply #799060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#052 we have 160 confirmed cases since December. And you think in 2 days we are going to get a few thousand more! Maybe live in the real world chump

Reply #799062 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

#052 we have 160 confirmed cases since December. And you think in 2 days we are going to get a few thousand more!
160 confirmed cases. Three deaths, which means there were already 343 cases two weeks ago assuming a death rate of 0.87%. It doubles every week or so meaning that if there are three deaths now, there are over 2,300 actual cases. We just only know about 160 of them.

Tomorrow, 2,600. Sunday, 3,000.

Sure, let's all wait.

Source

Reply #799065 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

#FattenTheCurve

Reply #799074 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

FWIW running that math, with one death in a population of two million with an 0.87% death rate and 13,611 people in attendance, chances of a COVID-19 case at RAC Arena are 99%. Assuming a 4% death rate the chances go down to 70%, which is still way too damn high.

Reply #799082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why are the Norwood threads locked? Why can't we comment?
FTR its an overreaction and not required. Games should go ahead. Norwood need to pull their head in and listen to BasketballSA, who will act on government advice.
A few people have historically been unable to discuss Norwood without making my life painful so they can go talk about it on Facebook or somewhere else.

BSA and BV have cancelled their weekends so you can reassess the overreaction now.

Reply #799088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Kobe there should be several thousand cases arise out of the Womens World Cup final at the MCG in the near future after 90,000 were in attendance

Reply #799089 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I can't find the case/death numbers for Victoria.

Reply #799092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"FWIW running that math, with one death in a population of two million with an 0.87% death rate and 13,611 people in attendance, chances of a COVID-19 case at RAC Arena are 99%. Assuming a 4% death rate the chances go down to 70%, which is still way too damn high."

What?

Reply #799093 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Did I stutter?

Reply #799095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At 11pm AEDST 13th March Australia had 156 confirmed cases with 3 deaths. Victoria have 23 confirmed cases. 26 of the 156 cases have recovered.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert

Reply #799097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did I stutter?"

No, I just didn't understand the math that was being applied.

Reply #799099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All schools to close?

Reply #799100 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What?
Same link - scroll down to where they explain how to extrapolate from data where your public results/info post-date the cases themselves.
France claims 1,400 cases today and 30 deaths. Using the two methods above, you can have a range of cases: between 24,000 and 140,000.
So when Wuhan thought it had 444 cases, it had 27 times more.
Spain has very similar numbers as France (1,200 cases vs. 1,400, and both have 30 deaths). That means the same rules are valid: Spain has probably upwards of 20k true cases already.

Reply #799101 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a spreadsheet if you want to run your own numbers. I plugged in the WA death toll (1 AFAIK), Perth population (just over 2,000,000), and set my number of employees to 13,611, which from memory is the capacity at RAC Arena.

Reply #799112 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What's the average crowd size at a Hillsong event? The impact of this will be enormous!

They all wave their arms in the air and pray to the imaginary chump in the sky.....they should be fine lol

Reply #799119 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Luuuc
A couple of hours ago

ScoMo seems to have agreed with the exert advice that the mass gatherings cancellation is a good idea, but randomly also decided that Monday is when it should start.

?????????????

I know right haha.....he's got somewhere he wants to go this weekend, I mean if it needs stopping by preventing mass gatherings, it needs stopping now, not in two days, the virus isn’t going to say "ok I’ll wait till Monday ....he’s such a tool

Reply #799120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So best of 3 games then if there is no masses over 500 on Monday?

Reply #799123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're still planning a five game series, just without crowds. If any player/staff test positive, they suspend it all.

Reply #799134 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kings if they're down 0-2 after tonight:
"We're all feeling sick"

Reply #799136 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Doubt that would help. At 0-2 it becomes pretty easy to award the series without playing further.

If Sydney win tonight and something happens, it's going to be interesting.

Reply #799138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if the series gets suspended, just put in the history books as a year with no winner.

By the way, apparently the decision to start the 500 people ban from Monday was on the advice of the chief medical officer. Something about not making people panic.

Reply #799151 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hey #RedArmy, let's all get together at Crown Sports Bar and watch it on the big screen!

Reply #799152 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

*facepalm*

Reply #799168 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thanks for the link koberulz (#799065)

best article I have read on COVID-19 and now I understand why I cant watch the cats live tonight and why social distancing is so important and why no one should wait til Monday to cancel things.

Everyone should read that.

Reply #799221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/richo3000/status/1238374424367136768?s=20

Wowee.

Reply #799230 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Tweet unavailable.

Reply #799235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Wowee"

If you have a problem with what I said, respond to me on Twitter.

Reply #799246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754