Isaac
Years ago

How the 36ers got Giddey

Details of the Adelaide 36ers' two-hour Sydney hotel pitch to Boomers sensation Josh Giddey have been revealed as club owner Grant Kelley declares both Jerome Randle and Harry Froling will return next season.

Giddey’s signature as part of the NBL’s Next Stars Program was some welcome good news for the club on Thursday, after it endured two weeks of upheaval with the departure of coach Joey Wright and a bitter public feud with co-captain Kevin White.
Full story

Topic #47042 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paywall.

Can anyone post the article?

Thanks

Reply #799121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers sensation.... That's sensationalism at it's best.

Reply #799125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle returning after major injury. Would think they would want to track how he's going before bringing him back. Would assume it would be his first gig back after rehab. Surely wouldn't be 100%.

Reply #799171 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

WTF Randle is going to be back? He just did his ACL, the owner understands that means he will be out until at least mid-season right?

Reply #799174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Harry must've been told we will support unlike Joey did, but you need to meet us financially half way.

Randle, they can say he’s coming back, but at no point is it smart to sign a guy who’s just done an acl. This would be for media marketing stuff, up until the medical deadline of sorts to say he is actually fit. Even the Nets were a tad worried about signing KD!

And as for Giddey. Gaze. Andrew Gaze.

Reply #799176 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Mid-season would be wildly optimistic. He injured it after the NBL season was finished, so assuming a 12-month recovery....

Reply #799177 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This would be for media marketing stuff, up until the medical deadline of sorts to say he is actually fit.

I would like that to be the case too but the Sixers have a team option on Randle for next season that needs to be declined or exercised the week before free agency stars. If they pick that up he's locked in for next season.

However they could decline it and then negotiate a new deal with Randle, likely at a much lower rate but still crazy when there is the potential for him missing at least half the season.

Reply #799180 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mid-season would be wildly optimistic. He injured it after the NBL season was finished, so assuming a 12-month recovery....

In basketball 9 months is best case scenario, he did it end of Feb at the very earliest could be back end of November.

Reply #799181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, it's the latter part of your post, the 'however’ part, that’s what would’ve happened. Now way you agree to pay top dollar on a product that’s now worth less, purely from a business speak angle.

Reply #799188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze loved Randle, makes you think he's coaching even more.

Reply #799189 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Can someone please post the article?

Reply #799192 | Report this post

Bye  
Years ago

Randle surely won't play next year.
Given age and the way he plays will be 12 months

Reply #799193 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Randle to return, lol.

Keep being you Sixers.

Reply #799196 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Randle and Moore.

Why Sixers why?

Reply #799198 | Report this post

not anyone :)  
Years ago

(Mod: Post removed at the request of Jo Schulz from The Advertiser.)

Reply #799202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Randle isn't a lock as a player, but some form. That’s ok with me. Great news they’re letting drimic look elsewhere, he has underachieved massively. Shooter who can’t make free throws, and complains for calls from the deck every single time isn’t what is needed.

Harry is an interesting one, so much physical potential, Wright was in his own world had no clue how to utilise the big, with the right support Froling could be a beast.

Reply #799205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Froling doesn't get serious about his body, they shouldn’t re-sign him. Making sure you’re in shape, and ready for the season is part of being a pro. Joey was right to be frustrated with him

Reply #799206 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Froling has already gone.

Reply #799208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be frustrated, then do something about it! It's part of your job. Especially for such a 'players first’ coach like he supposedly was lol

I’m sure part of the negotiations with Froling is that he will be in better shape and the club has a way of helping him achieve this.

Reply #799209 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

So to summarise the Sixers got Giddey by sending its management to go speak with Giddey's management.

Does such ground breaking recruitment strategies require an article?

Reply #799216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All part of the marketing spin. The club is forward thinking etc etc Kelley trying to save his brand.

Reply #799219 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I think Bevo would suit the 36ers perfectly

Reply #799239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's JVG's spin. Get used to it. It worked well at the Kings remember, so did Gaze.

Reply #799269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Said it before, Froling is the white Jawai.

Reply #799293 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

What's Randle's off-court advice to Giddey going to be, 'do more crossovers and don't pass so much'?

Reply #799306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai has power and strength despite his girth.

Reply #799324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know who the short list of coaches for the Sixers?

Reply #799350 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sounds like Kelley will be our coach.... ffs leave the basketball to those who are professional.

Given Randle and Froling look like returning, we will see Drmic leave I imagine.

Reply #799363 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Surely the end for Drmic at Adelaide being given early permission to speak to other teams obviously no intention of re-signing him.

I liked his passion and all but at the end of the day he was so wildly inconsistent he could give you 4-5 points one game and 15-16 the next you can't do much with that and his outside shooting yips would even carry through to his FT's.

Reply #799365 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah he's gone.

He was inconsistent for sure and often had the yips but he has that potential and good size and ability. 36ers don’t have much Aussie talent over 25 years old, they can’t really afford to keep Froling and lose Drmic

Reply #799369 | Report this post

Bye  
Years ago

You'd hope we have a coach by the end of next week. In time for free agency etc. understand he’s giving the reins to Joey the past few yrs, but it needs to be a mutual decision - GM and coach

Reply #799375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide = bottom 2

Reply #799379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Randle comes back it's pretty much been said as a non playing role. Relax with the hate. Froling has promise, he clashed with Wright, new coach should see different results one way or the other. So relax and let this play out a bit. Drimic independent of Froling signing was not great.

Reply #799389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeezus..... Grant Kelley should never talk basketball.

"Jeff and I started talking back in early January on the need for a revamp, it was the point it looked like we weren't going to make the finals and then accelerated," Kelley told The Advertiser.

"I felt we needed a point guard who was a passing guard, could react well to a screen, we have been vulnerable in the pick and pop.

Here's an idea, get a coach first before you sign half the team and hamstring him with your very limited ideals on the game. Giddey is not going to play much under any coach who knows what he's doing. He's a 17 year old kid. You are talking him up as if he's going to save the club. He isn't.
This is lunacy.
No wonder Wright couldn't wait to get out.

Reply #799391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling hasn't talked about resigning with Adelaide. From what I hear he is well and truly out of there.

Reply #799398 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I particularly like the Kelly line about wanting a 'pass first' guard. They [Joey] had one in Taylor and [as I read the situation] Kelly sacked him for solo Randle.

The comment could suggest Kelly has learnt something about basketball and team composition from last season's unholy mess but the fact he's talking about bringing back Randle, injured or not, really makes me doubt that.

Reply #799429 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So dumb

Reply #799431 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Pop, do you imagine that Taylor could be re-signed by Adel to complete the circle? And would also clarify if Kelley has learnt or not!

Would Taylor, Giddey and Randle, SOMEWHERE in the background, be a good combination?

Reply #799463 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

that was a mutual thang, joey and Kelly to bring in randle for taylor

Reply #799466 | Report this post

Smac76  
Years ago

It is cool that he chose the 6ers, but he's young and will be a one and done. Good publicity but don’t think he helps the oncourt performance.
I would’ve kept Drmic, but the more I think about it, not sure what his ceiling will be. Thought he would’ve made more of an impact by now.
Couldn’t give a stuff about Froling to be honest, and hope Randle is not back in a playing capacity.
Any whispers on likely coach? Gaze and Brooks keep coming up in rumours I hear. Not inspiring!

Reply #799501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic still could be at Sixers, his asking price has always been overs, Sixers might have offered less so he's checking out the market.

Reply #799507 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Too bad Froling didn't clash with McDonalds.
The only time he’ll ever be mentioned with the word "heart" is if the sentence also includes “attack” .
Signing an over the hill and now injured ball hog in Randle makes you wonder how much the owner actually watched last season.

Reply #799520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That heart attack joke was pretty lame Mystro.

Reply #799522 | Report this post

Smac76  
Years ago

You'd hope commonsense prevails with Randle. He was in decline anyway, an ACL isn’t going to help his game. Unless he’s willing to naturalise, move him on. It will be interesting to see what crowds the 6ers draw next season. Will the novelty wear off? Tickets are expensive, everyone is taking a hit right now too. Hopefully we have a competitive team that is well coached to encourage crowds to continue to turn out.

Reply #799537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import / White / Mudronja / Ayre (DP)
Import / Drmic / Giddey
Import / Mcveigh / Harris (DP)
Motum / Kyei / Peatling (DP)
Johnson / (1 of Brandt, Mathiang, Acuil, Salt)

Cut
Randle
Moore
Griffin
Dillon
Teys
Froling
Johnson(DP)
Maybe get Isaac white from Stanford and cut Ayre.

Reply #799539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The backup White PG... Are you talking Jack White - he is not a PG. You surely can't be talking Kevin White!?!?!

Reply #799542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be talking about Isaac White.

Reply #799546 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lots of interesting comments in that article! Anyone know what he means by:

"a quick point guard who's a 10-second preferred pass as opposed to a 14-second".

I'm getting that we need a better passing PG, but pick and pop with Randle and DJ was one of the few things that was run effectively at times!

Likewise, unless Harry loses the baby fat and improves his agility and speed, surely he is a better pop guy than a roller? I suppose he could kill a few opponents when he steam rolls them, but he's going to foul out pretty fast! ;-)

The comment about DJ and Froling being power forwards was another interesting one! Great if you can set up a defence that can cover the three ball with two genuine big men on the floor, because maybe you can actually protect the defensive glass. But I have my doubts we can play either of those guys big mins at the four!

I'd still like to keep Drmic, because he does play hard, plays good D and rebounds well. But time is running out for him to prove himself as a consistent scorer. If he can't do that, then ultimately he is just going to be a really good role-player.

I hope we let K White go, as we need minutes for Giddey and more importantly Mudronja, to see what they can do.

Reply #799557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac White is who I meant, in the transfer portal at college, might as well come home instead. Sa boy.

Reply #799559 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac White would be an interesting guy to look at. I'd like to see a couple of SA boys have a crack.

Reply #799560 | Report this post

I would have taken Drmic over Froling. First half of last season was what we should be expecting of him, an ability to get to the hoop which then allows him space to shoot the 3. Foot issues the past couple of years i think had taken the slash out of his game so i suspect next season he'll be much improved yet again...probably playing against us. Standard.

Reply #799594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754