Lovebroker
Years ago

End the season now.

I don't care what the result is.

Stop the season now.

All this travelling to and fro is playing with fire.

Everyone other organisation is locking down travel, gatherings, or not even commuting to work.

But the NBL sees fit to make people travel to and from NSW.

I honestly anyone would greatly begrudge the season ending on a 3 game series given the circumstances.

The more I read the more I am convinced COVID-19 has a higher mortality rate of 2%.

On the financial side, I can imagine that getting Perth Arena and Qudos Bank Arena again woul dbe expensive for the teams with zero revenue from it.

So these teams are actually losing money to play in the grand finals.

NBL, don't allow the teams to be exposed to the health risks and financial detriment of playing these series out any longer.

Topic #47055 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go home you're drunk

Reply #799891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't stress, they won't play again.

Reply #799893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have to be champions unless Smith or LK are determined to see otherwise.

Reply #799896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I'd feel Sydney would be unlucky to not at least trying to get it to game five, I believe that that’s the way the cookie crumbles and it should be canceled. Do you award the championship to Perth 2-1 in GF series, the kings minor premiers or joint premier.

Reply #799898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#893 I call BS

Reply #799900 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You're not really thinking outside the box, Lovebroker.

If they kept both games in Sydney and expedited Games 4 and 5 by a couple of days, everybody wins. Including me, who wants the Kings to win the title.

I'd be happy with no championship being awarded if there are no more games played.

Reply #799902 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

There there Manu, Perth eliminating Cairns (again) will stop hurting in due course.

I'm sure Cairns will make playoffs again in another 5 years or so. Chin up.

Reply #799906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu isn't a real Cairns fan anyway, just here to troll.

Reply #799908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Genuine team sacrifice now, would mean a wildcat would go get corona so the season had to finish lol

Reply #799910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams and the NBL decided on a 5 game series. If it's cut short, the 3 played games should be considered void and the championship awarded to the Kings based on their superior regular season record.

Reply #799911 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha, how does Cairns stack up against your shambolic franchise this year?

Calm down tho, no need to flip your lid about corona

Reply #799912 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

If the series does end tonight the Kings have no case for the Championship.

They lost the regular season series 3-1 to Perth and 5-2 for the whole year.

They have been given every advantage this year including an extra import, 3 extra players in green in the semis, a GF game 1 with a home crowd, the removal of the opposition's home crowd in game 2 and they are still behind in the series.

The regular season earns you the right to play in the playoffs but it gives you 0 rights to the Championship, you have to play and win an extra month for that, this isn't the Premier League.

If the season is called now it's either Perths title or LK is a cheat.

Reply #799913 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I agree with #911

Reply #799914 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

A. They should have planned ahead better.
B. Since they didn't, if they wanted 5 games, it should have been 2 & 3 in Perth, then 4 & 5 in Sydney.
C. GF series were for 3 games for many years, so yes they should just call it. (NB I said the same thing before the game if Sydney won.)

Perth wins, everyone else gets to go on hating us, win-win.

Reply #799915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Controlling the narrative should have always been the priority.

When they made the decision and announcement to cut out crowds on the day of Game 2, they should have also declared it just a three game series. Playing on beyond that makes absolutely no sense whatever.

Given the rapid pace of developments since then as well, particularly around ever escalating travel and national bans and quarantine laws and whatnot, I'd imagine that the foreign players are also more than a little bit anxious about just getting home to family asap, and have packed these games away now to a 2nd place priority.

Reply #799925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Mortality rate is the number of deaths as a percentage of KNOWN infections.
It's at the current figure because (as has been explained ad-nauseum) there are certain to be way more people that haven't been tested OR might not even have symptoms serious enough for them to think they need testing.
Therefore the mortality rate is very likely to be a lot lower once /if all cases are discovered.

That said I agree that the NBL should have had games 2 & 3 in Perth then 4 & 5 in Sydney to at least reduce the travel.

Reply #799931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is getting tested and in what numbers differs depending on which country you are in, but the mortality rate is quite accurate when looking at the most at risk demographics, as a very high % of those who are showing symptoms are - as you would if you were in that category - seeking medical advice and help and are definitely getting tested. It's the least at risk demographics who are getting tested the least (so they're the ones making up the 'silent' numbers that would, if included, significantly shift that overall fatality % downwards).

So yeah, you can ignore that overall death rate as it's not including the hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands (depending on where you are) who are younger, healthier, and showing little or no symptoms at all and either not realising they have it, or not bothered by it, or as in the case in countries like the UK, are being explicitly told to just stay home and chill out and recover alone and to definitely *not* try and interact with the health system in any way. (Here in the UK, the official figure is around 1,500 infections, but the government has said that is likely really in the 30k+ range).

But when you look at that figure for those who are 60+, that is quite accurate, and when you see that figure you can clearly see the issue.

Reply #799932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Consider Paul Smith refused to play in front of the red army last week, citing "player safety", he should also consider their safety by stopping them getting on a plane back to Perth. Call the series now.

Reply #799933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker, the NBL is showing great leadership. We need to start to begin to have smarter, more measured responses and these games continuing is the beginning of that. EG; those 3-4 guys in the NBA that have got it will be fine in about 10 days and have some good immunity built up for the next time they come into contact.

Reply #799944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they should have played the last 2 or 3 games in Melbourne (Neutral), with just 1 day break

Reply #799946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play them in Adelaide, Friday and Sunday, neutral venue and around even distance from both Sydney and Perth.

Reply #799947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL aren't showing leadership. They were bent over a barrel by the Kings owner who threw his toys out of the cot.

Reply #799948 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Congratulations Perth. Mandatory lockdown of Sydney announced tomorrow. Might be a good time to go to the store. We're all in for a wild ride.

Reply #799952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should go to a golden goal situation. Have a 3 point and foul shoot out competition with no crowd to determine the results of games 4 and 5.

Reply #799956 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

"Should go to a golden goal situation. Have a 3 point and foul shoot out competition with no crowd to determine the results of games 4 and 5."

With Ware shooting for Sydney and Kay for Perth

Reply #799973 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Carona is not the end of the world.
Most people won't get it.
Most that do will survive

BUT, many people will get it, and many of those will die.

It is everyone's responsibility to do whatever we can to limit the spread.

If this gets into an aged-care facility it will kill many of them. If it gets into schools, some kids with Asthma will die.
We must protect those who are vulnerable.

I'm disappointed about the NBL, and the AFL, and my holiday plans,
but if it saves one life....

Reply #800068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Carona?

Reply #800069 | Report this post

Judge  
Years ago

Carona is Corona's less attractive cousin, but she swallows better than most so the lads put up with her.

The media in this country have sensationalized this into such an enormous thing that the ridiculous panic shopping we are seeing and overreacting on public transport for anyone who even remotely sniffles is condemned to hell... Well Frankston but close enough. Their irresponsible journalism is the reason why our leagues will be drastically affected when really all we need to do is. Shut down our borders for a month, isolate when and where required and rise this bad boy out.

Then we can have post-Carona victory parades with excess toilet paper confetti, high fives and all the sneezing that one can handle.

Reply #800073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel better knowing that D2.0 is always here to bring us up to speed on things both inside and outside of basketball

Reply #800078 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Judge, that would've worked two months ago but it's too late for that now. These shutdowns are the only way we can have any hope.

Reply #800079 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Vlahov is on TV right now talking about the virus.

Reply #800083 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Channel 7, that local panel show which usually has only boring local issues to talk about. How times have changed.

Reply #800084 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's a shame with the crowds.

Maybe we just have a Thunderdome. Two men enter, one man leaves. Start off with the point guards, finish with a Bogut v Plumlee finale. End it with the coaches.

Oh, the sight of Trevor G all oiled up and ready for action. I can hear 14,000 Wildcats fans screaming from here.

Reply #800085 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Channel 7, that local panel show which usually has only boring local issues to talk about. How times have changed.

Flashpoint? Oh, I missed it tonight. That's the every-single-episodeth time in a row I've done that.
If there's one opinion I'm really missing amongst this deluge of good information from credentialed virologists & epidemiologists, it's that of Andrew Vlahov. Now I am left with NFI.

Reply #800089 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Disclaimer: I was channel surfing.

At first I was stunned until they introduced him as a former Olympian who was on the panel to talk about the affect the virus will have on Tokyo 2020. Got to plug your broadcast rights at every opportunity.

Reply #800092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm disappointed people chose sports over human life but I'm impressed by the wa governments quick response to the crisis and choosing human life over budget and setting a precedent for the other states to follow, the federal government is so out of touch with what should be done.
Thank you wa government, now I'm feeling even happier the a Qld hospital has found two drugs that look likely to be a cure for corona viruse and already looking at testing on patients around the country before the end of March, awesome news for the world.

#anyonebutcoronavirus

Reply #800136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#893 on the money

Reply #800224 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754